New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

The OOC thread is here.
    The recruitment thread is here.

---

Location: somewhere in Fordham, 1 November 2005 (present day)

@Cedric

The wagon proceeds along a track as it passes through some woods. You are sitting in front, next to Gillian as he drives. "We're nearly there," he says to you. "No doubt Tring has fallen asleep again. You'd better - wait, who's that woman there? Some old hag, probably."

You see the woman Gillian is referring to up ahead, where the track splits.

@Ementha

You are in a small wood, standing at a fork in the track, when you spot a wagon approaching behind you. The two in front are talking, but nothing you can make out. As the wagon gets nearer, the driver calls out. "Good day to you, er," he blinks. "Young miss."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

@Gillian
    (elbows Gill in the ribs)whispers:GILL! Be nice.

(to Ementha, beckoning)
    Miss? I see you're a bit stuck at a not-so Proverbial Fork in the Road. Are you lost?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Gillian looks slightly embarrassed as he waits to see if the woman will answer.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha stands at the fork with one hand in her frizzy black hair looking back and forth between the two paths. She is a young woman, probably not even beyond her teens, and is short and very thin. She wears a simple black ankle length skirt and a white shirt with a leather jacket over top. In one hand she carries a walking stick, and on her back is a small backpack.

Ementha turns around, hearing your hails. As she turns, her angular features become visible as well as a variety of cheap dangly jewelry. She squints at the wagon (even though it is relatively close). "Oh, hello," she says taking a few steps closer to the wagon. "Not lost really. You seem to have found me, anyway. I'm just not sure which way I want to go. I'm looking for a wizard's tower that I believe is somewhere around here. You don't happen to know which way that is, do you?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks thoughtful for a moment; then, his eyes brighten and smile a bit at the corners. His eyes meet with Gill's' briefly; but before Gill can say anything, he quickly turns back to Ementha.

“In fact, Gill here is taking us to a wizard in Fordham! Perhaps that’s the wizard’s tower you seek?”

Cedric looks excited as he turns and starts rummaging through items behind him. After a moment, he retrieves a stringed instrument and clutches it against him briefly before plucking at a string or two.

"I hope so, I would fancy a new traveling companion. Perhaps you have a song or a story you can share with us... perhaps why you're going to see a wizard?"

Cedric turns quickly to Gill, "Gill please let her come with us. I’m sure she won’t take up much room, look how tiny she is.”

Cedric hardly waits for Gill to answer him before turning back to Ementha.

“What’s your name miss? I’m Cedric and this is my friend and boss and world-famous merchant, Gillian the Bronze. A bit tarnished but still shiny where it counts.” he says, winking dramatically.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles at the people on the wagon and begins ambling closer. She has an awkward gait. "Well, sure enough, I bet it could be. As for why I'm going to see him, I don't rightly know."

Her hand returns to her flyaway hair and begins futilely attempting to straighten it. "I guess it has to do with those rabbits I saw this morning. You see I read and follow the omens, and the way they were hopping and dancing around led me to think the best place for me to be today was at a mage's tower up this direction. Unfortunately the omens aren't always as forthcoming with the why as with the what." She gestures vaguely back toward the fork with her staff.

"So not much of a story, I'm afraid. Though, if you're willing to give me a lift to this wizard's tower, I suppose I could read the omens for either of you, if you'd like. Many people find that enjoyable." She looks up at the two, waiting for an answer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric’s eyes sparkle.
    “An honest to goodness reader of omens! This is better than I could have hoped for!”

He turns and calls towards the back of the wagon. His voice is probably louder than necessary for waking up a sleeping person. It is probably louder than necessary for waking many sleeping persons; even if, say, those persons happened to reside several towns away.
    “TRIIIINNNGGG! Wake up! We’re gonna get to have our omens read!”

Cedric then turns to Gill, face expectant and hopeful. Then, he begins strumming the lute; it looks rather toy-like against his bulky body. Large fingers appear to mangle the strings. The lute bravely shudders and hums. Despite threatening to break under the apparent strain, the lute happily eeks out a short, merry, and surprisingly lovely tune.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Musical Instrument (Lute) (3d6)[5]
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-11 at 03:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"Huh?! Stop shouting Cedric," complains a gravelly voice from behind the wagon cover. "Heck man, it's almost as bad as your constant l-"

The voice stops as Cedric starts playing. When the tune finishes, a man's head emerges into view. "Hey, that's pretty good," he says with a slightly surprised expression. "Not the noise you usually make."

The weathered face looks around and notices Ementha for the first time. "Oh, hello miss. I'm Tring. You're a fortune-teller, are you?" By the way he asked the question, Tring doesn't seem all that impressed by the idea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles broadly at Cedric's excitement, and it doesn't diminish much even with Tring's less than enthusiastic response.

"That I be. That I be. So, can I assume we have a deal then? A few readings of the future in exchange for a ride to this mage's tower? I'm Ementha, by the way." She offers her hand to Cedric, whether to be shaken or helped up into the wagon, it is unclear. "So, who wants to be first?" she asks as if the answer weren't obvious.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric takes Ementha’s hand gently into his.

A pleasure miss. However I’m just a cook and guard. The only thing I get to decide on Gill’s wagon is what does or does not compose the stew that makes its way into Gill’s soup bowl,” he says, clearing his throat meaningfully.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-11 at 08:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Gillian turns to Ementha. "Best to get in the back, if you're coming. Can you do your thing on the move? Tring, give her a hand. We really must be getting on."

Tring silently gets out to help Ementha up, before walking round to swap places with Cedric in the front.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

@Franciszek

Walking through a small wood, you come to a junction in the path. If the information that local farmer gave you was correct, you should turn left here rather than continue on ahead. In front beyond the junction you can see a covered wagon facing your direction. It is stopped in the road. A couple of men sitting in front appear to be in conversation with a woman standing next to the vehicle. As you watch, a third man appears, presumably from the back.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek

Franciszek stops and watches the situation for a while, before advancing towards the wagon.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

@Cedric and Ementha

"Right, then." Gillian says. "Let's g-"

"Uh, Gill," interrupts Tring. He gestures at the man approaching.

"Not another one," mutters Gillian. "I wonder what this man wants."

"Whatever it is, he's armed." Tring observes. "He's got a crossbow as well as his staff." He waves at the approaching stranger as he hisses between his teeth, "Cedric! Be ready!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric climbs into the back of the wagon and begins helping Ementha up.

"Cedric," hisses Tring between his teeth, "Be Ready!"

Hearing the urgency in Tring's voice, Cedric quickly puts down his lute, picks up his buckler, and ensures his sword is at the ready; he does not unsheath it at this time. Then peering out of the wagon cover, he observes a man with a staff advancing towards the wagon with apparent purpose. A little surprised, Cedric quickly places himself between the stranger and the wagon, alongside Tring and in front of Gillian.

Cedric whispers to Tring, "Something tells me that this time the dancing bunnies didn't tell him to meet us here."

He stands up to his full height, pulls in belly as best he can, and attempts to puff up slightly. He calls out in a neutral but loud voice to the advancing stranger, "Hello there, friend. May we help you with something?"
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-13 at 02:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha accepts the assistance getting up into the back of the wagon. Even with the help, it is still a rather indelicate procedure for her. As the others get out and ready their arms, Em peeks out. "Oh for goodness sakes. It's just one man with a stick and an unloaded crossbow. You'd think he was a horde of charging barbarians with the way you all are reacting," she mutters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I get a little more description of the wagon please? Is it open or closed top? If closed, hard (wood ceiling) or soft (cloth) topped, and where are the exits? Also, now that Ementha's in the back, what's back here with her? She's not going to go digging right now, so if its just closed containers that fine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The wagon is about 5 yards long and 3 yards wide, pulled by two horses. It is indeed covered. The covering is made of cloth over a wooden frame. The ceiling is high enough to sit fairly comfortably in the back, but not stand up straight. There are some packs and things that are probably sleeping and camping gear in the back with Ementha, but most of the space is filled with wooden boxes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric catches Ementha's comment and ponders a moment.

Then, he makes an effort to visibly relax and appear a bit friendlier. He elbows Tring lightly, "She's right you know. We've faced worse, and I doubt a bandit would be quite so obvious. Besides, if we were that worried about every individual we encounter, then I probably should not have left our newest friend unsupervised in the back of the wagon with all of Gill's latest goods."

Cedric considers the situation a little more before adding, "Besides, Gill is looking a little antsy. Let’s finish getting ready so that we can be on our way once we find out what our traveler has to say for himself."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha removes her pack, setting it on the floor of the wagon at her feet. She then sits down on one of the wooden crates nearest the wagon's opening, to watch what is going on outside.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek approaches the wagon, raising his hand in a friendly gesture.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

"He's waving," mumbles Gillian. "But he doesn't answer. Is he mute?"

"Perhaps he's deaf." Tring mutters in reply. Standing side-by-side with Cedric, the guard captain puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, just in case. Then in his loudest, gravelly voice he booms at the stranger:
    "Hello, friend! What is your purpose?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric warms a little to the stranger's friendly gesture.

Taking in the man's overall appearance, looks him up and down, and ponders the man's gait and posture, all in an attempt to evaluate the man's intentions.
    OOC:Body Language Roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[13]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'm headed for the White Tower in Fordham! Franciszek shouts back, nearing the wagon.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

@Cedric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay. That was a failed roll, so you wouldn't have been able to read much. However, I guess it doesn't matter now that the stranger has responded

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

“That happens to be where we’re headed! I don’t suppose the omens told you to meet us here, did they?” Cedric looks hopefully at the stranger for a moment.

“I’m Cedric, and this is my captain, Tring, and my boss Gillian. Maybe you could work a deal with Gill here and save your feet a little wear and tear.”

Cedric glances back towards the cart, anxious to have his fortune read.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-18 at 10:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmmm," says Gillian, turning to the newest arrival. "Seems that everyone is heading to the tower today, stranger. Though I didn't know at first, when you walked towards us. You should have turned left, when you came to the junction there." He points. "Not this way. Well, it's the right-hand path from this direction, but you see what I mean." Gillian pauses hopefully. "Well anyway, that's where we're going. Eventually."

"Say, friend." Tring looks the stranger over carefully before continuing. "We're taking a wagon there, as you can see. What's your business at the tower?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

No omens brought me here. Franciszek raises an eyebrow, and then replies to the other question. I'm coming there because of a notice I've seen.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric returns his attention to the stranger.

"Well, don't leave us in suspense... What sort of notice?" he prompts, fidgeting slightly from foot to foot. "Is he hiring? Oh! Or perhaps he's holding a wizard's tournament!", Cedric asks hopefully.

Cedric quiets, and looks expectant.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-20 at 11:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

No idea. Franciszek shrugs. But he's looking for wizards, so I'm heading there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a brief smile, Cedric says, "Through use of my keen mental powers, I have concluded that you must then be a wizard."

Cedric looks pensive, and then appears to arrive at a decision.
    "Clearly you are a man of few words. Perhaps a drink will change that. But in the meanwhile, you know our names, but we don't know yours. Perhaps after you properly introduce yourself, you can come to an agreement with Gillian and Tring here to save yourself a bit of time on the wagon. And then maybe later, you can share a drink with us and tell us a little more about your journey and plans."

Cedric starts to turn to get onto the wagon but catches himself, remembering to await Tring's permission before he lets down his guard and leaves his side.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-20 at 02:58 PM.