New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Cedric looks thoughtful, finishes chewing and swallowing.

"And I thought we were all in it for the money and adventure. What matters here is, we find what we're looking for, and safely bring it back. And get paid."

He takes a swallow of the ale. Goodness this is definitely the kind that only can improve with quantity.

He grimaces. "...and try to enjoy the food, drink, and scenery along the way of course! I hope there are taverns in Nightstalker Forest..."
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-04 at 06:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

My, my he did get defensive, didn't he. Still, I didn't really get the information that I was looking for. Perhaps I'll try to smooth things over.

Ementha looks Eniarch in the eye. "I'll thank you not to call into question my character. I certainly have loyalties beyond this job and assume that all others here do as well. In fact, I would sooner mistrust someone who had no loyalties in their life until the moment we were offered this job. I was simply stating that I found it curious that your interests were two-fold when it comes to retrieving this artifact. I meant no real disrespect. Since you seem to have found it anyway, I apologize."

She breaks eyecontact long enough to pick up her mug and sip from it. "I suppose Cedric is right in the end. So long as our purpose is the same, to find the artifact and bring it back to the tower, we should have no quarrels. I say we take this evening then as an opportunity to get to know each other and enjoy each others company. This will be an awfully long journey if we can't find a way to do that."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-03-04 at 07:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm used to folks having at least two of these before we start getting brutally honest with each other," he says, waving his drink in the air dramatically.

"Though, I am curious about why each of you are here. I think it's plain enough how I ended up here. Rather boring in my mind. You don't have to answer now, maybe when the questions don't feel quite so tense, we can jump in a bit further. If drinking another one would help, then drinks are on me."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch regards Ementha levelly, and nodding, relents. "I much prefer to repay others in kind. If you will afford me the same courtesy, I will endeavor to demonstrate my sincerity to your satisfaction through my actions." Turning from Ementha, he dips his head and addresses the table, looking a bit as though he would prefer to crawl under the table than sit at it. "Please, forgive me. I have had many question my character since I left my home, and far more interested simply in disdain for my origins. It does.. grate after a time. That is no excuse for my outburst, and I must apologize to you all for spoiling the mood."

Fetching up his tankard of ale, he continues. "However, in the spirit of honesty, I must also confess that my 'interests' are far more than merely 'twofold'. If what John has told us is true, then Dakijek may well have discovered some rare thaumatological knowledge of enchantment worth a great deal to me, as an enchanter. I am most eager to see what we may yet uncover." He takes a pull of the ale, and sets it back once more upon the wood before addressing Cedric's observation.

"Honesty, my good man, is something I try to cultivate. A man's character is a powerful asset, not to be discarded lightly. You have heard why I came to be here. Tell us, how is it you come to the trade of a mercenary minding the wagon that brought you to meet us?" Having hopefully diverted the attention of the table to another, he falls silent, and tucks into his stew once more in great earnest, as though it has been some time since he has had a decent meal.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric scratches at his chin a bit and finishes another mouthful.

"Well, so long as... er, Dak...Dak's therma... wizard knowledge passes along to you in some form other than what we have to return to John, I have no objections. I hope that Dak kept some nice spirits and exotic wines which I would be happy to put to good use. I wish I had the knack myself, but nothing ever seems to make sense to me when I see it or read about wizardry."

"As for myself, Gill did me a favor by bringing me along. I've always been interested in traveling and seeing the world, and when my aunt spoke of selling off the family inn and tavern where I worked, he happened to be in town and thought it might be a good time for me to get out and see new places. He never mentioned that they would not be too exotic, but it's been a fun several years all the same. Though sadly, I have not saved as much money as I would have liked."

He shares into the fire and his voice becomes softer. "I always look forward to stopping at the inns and taverns. It reminds me of home, with just a different set of people."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha sighs sadly. "But isn't it the people that make a person's home special?" She stirs at her stew without taking a bite. She stares into the bowl as she speaks. "I guess that's what I've found in my journeys. I've seen a lot of little towns that were more or less like Shade's Edge, but none of them were truly home without the people."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

"How are you doing here?" asks a young woman that appears to be moving from table to table. Her apron, plus the tray of tankards she is carrying, would signal that the girl works here. Her appearance otherwise is not remarkable, but her tone of voice is jovial and friendly. "Enjoying your food? Can I get anyone another drink?" She gives Eniarch a rather obvious wink as she says "Anything else you need?"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch stops shovelling stew long enough to answer Ementha. "It's not just the people that make a home special, it's the scent of the place, the feel of the rooms and the sounds that fill it. It wouldn't be a proper home without the people, that's true, but without those other things, it would seem.. odd. Too quiet, too empty, too large or small, just a little wrong. Your memories of home will include those things. Even if they are not what made your home a home, they are what made that home into the home you remember."

Bent over his stew and eating, the Eniarch doesn't notice the serving girl's approach, but the young wizard's face actually reddens as the young girl winks at him. "Ah.. er.. n-n-no, I think I have everything I need." He looks down at his bowl and seems to blush even redder.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-03-05 at 10:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Here miss, yes, thanks. Could I get more stew please? And if anyone here wants more, next bowl is on me. Oh and, this stew is delicious. Please let Mr. Trent know that I enjoyed it. And, if he has time a little later, I would love to trade brewing ideas with him," he adds, as he hands her the cost of the food, plus an extra two farthings.

He turns back to the party. "True enough, both of you. For me, just having a crowd about in a cozy room like this is home. Some familiar, many new, and hopefully the sounds of companionship sounding about."

Turning to Ementha, he asks, "Miss Ementha, where have you come from and why did you come along?"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha looks up from her stew. "Oh, me? I come originally from a small town in Blythe by the name of Shade's Edge. But it's been awhile since Shade's Edge was actually a town. Like the rest of Blythe it was destroyed by the reptile men's attack awhile back. Since then I've been wandering around, looking for a new home. But I suppose you might be right Eniarch, I'm not sure that I'll ever find another Shade's Edge. There are just too many little details that must be right."

She takes a sip of her drink. "If you mean more recently, I've spent the last few weeks in Harkwood." She shrugs, "I wander around a lot though. When the omens pointed me in the direction of the wizard's tower, I figured that it might give my wanderings a purpose for a time. Maybe I could, I don't know, help somehow, or something."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

"Terrible what happened in Blythe," says Rann. "Three years ago, wasn't it?"

The serving woman returns with another bowl of stew. "Here you go, sir." She places the new container in front of Cedric. "Keeping up your strength, I see," she smiles, as she begins collecting Cedric's old bowl and any other empty bowls or tankards. "Anyone else need anything?" She glances round the table. "Any more drinks?"

@Ementha
    Spoiler
    Show
    You suddenly realise that the hand slowly removing the yellow cloth purse from the middle of the table, does not belong to any of your companions. Rather, it is the arm of a young man perhaps only a boy, crouching across the table from you, between Franciszek and Eniarch.

For some reason, Rann lunges across the table with a shout at that moment. This is certainly an unusual way to react to an offer of more drinks. Unfortunately, as a result of this unexpected action, a bowl gets upended. Whatever portion of Franciszek's supper remained as yet unfinished, has now been dumped into his lap. "You idiot!" he shouts at Rann as he jumps up.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    dariathalon, if you can keep Em's intended actions short, it will make it easier to insert the others into the proceedings, once they realise what's going on

Nobody else post IC until we've heard from dariathalon, please.

Incidentally, the upended bowl is Franciszek's unluckiness coming into effect. Whether or not the stew has an opinion on the matter is not recorded.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha stands to her full height (an unimpressive 5'4", but she's doing her best to make it look impressive). She pulls her lighted bracelet from her pocket and looks at a young man who is crouching behind Franciszek and Eniarch through the glowing wooden hoop, as if concentrating her energies through it. "You are standing before a table full of spellcasters. Carefully consider if it is worth the vengeance we would exact for taking that!"

(Initimdation - Skill 12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[12]
    Hopefully that is brief enough.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-03-06 at 08:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

Rann's attempt to grab the arm fails, and the sneaky young man is backing away from the table as Ementha speaks. The yellow purse falls from the frightened boy's grip, and he makes a dash for the door. Everyone in the tavern is now up and watching this pandemonium unfold.

Rann pushes past the angry Franciszek to grab the thief, but seeing the purse has been dropped, he stops.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    Hopefully that is brief enough.
    Yes. It's perfect, thanks.

If either Cedric or Eniarch actually want to try and stop the boy, then gimme an IQ roll to react quick enough. Otherwise, provided Ementha is satisified to let him go, we can assume that he dashes out unhindered, and deal with the aftermath

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Taking...? Confused for a moment, Eniarch quickly realizes that Ementha isn't addressing him, but someone who has slipped up to the group in the hopes of snagging a few coin. What I do not possess no man may steal from me...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IQ roll to stop the thief's escape: (3d6)[6]

UP: Is that just a reaction, or actually being able to snag/stop/hinder the thief? Eniarch's not planning to actually keep him and turn him over to the authorities, but there's a tasty bit of similarity here...
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-03-06 at 09:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric's eyes flick to the upturned stew (if time were to go slow enough to observe, his eyes might look a bit saddened), and then to the proceedings about him.

"Boy, wait!" he calls after the boy as he darts off. He begins to jostle after him. "You don't have to steal for your dinner, I'll buy you a bowl!"

As he begins to chase the boy, he appears to trip, and attempts to land himself squarely onto the purse.

Spoiler
    Show
    IQ (11): (3d6)[7]

Add-on, for whatever reason, Cedric has decided that it's a good idea to get the money out of view and into his hands, or, even lead the less perceptive observers to believe the boy still has the purse. Do I need to roll for either landing on the purse, doing so convincingly, or picking it up in my hands without anyone observing me do so?
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-06 at 11:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch simply watches the boy escape through the crowd of stunned patrons. "Thieves... In the city of my childhood, the lucky criminals were given over to the tender mercies of the Hospitallers for trial. Those who dared to steal from wizards were rarely so.. fortunate." His gaze seems far away for a brief moment, and then he turns back to the shambles of the group's dinner with a disapproving shake of his head.

"Quite a shambles this thief left in his wake." He looks across the table towards where the serving girl stands, and speaks generally, as if to the group, though his eyes never leave the girl. "It would be wise of anyone who knew him to find him a safer occupation to occupy his nimble hands, and that right soon."
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-03-06 at 01:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
    Spoiler
    Show

Cedric's fall roll Dex (at 11):(3d6)[11]
    Slight of hand (at 9):(3d6)[13]

Cedric stumbles and falls and lands squarely on the purse.

Maybe I can tuck this away out of sight now.

He lays there a moment and groans, as the boy darts away, and Eniarch speaks in the background. Then, Cedric begins to get himself up, attempting to place the purse under his hand as he pushes himself up and slip it out of sight. He fumbles with it briefly on his way up, and turns to the others.

As he approaches the others, "There now, let's finish this after we have bunk down. Lets try to enjoy dinner. Frank, you can have my second bowl, I haven't touched it yet."

Cedric then looks about for Trent.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-06 at 02:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

Rann offers Cedric a hand as he gets up, then stands silently in front of him as the big man palms the purse. The other tavern patrons listen to Eniarch's speech, then turn back to their tables. When Eniarch talks at her, the young serving woman looks away, before silently retreating from the table once he is done.

"I'm NOT hungry," says Franciszek after hearing Cedric's offer. He glowers at Rann. Then, turning back to Cedric, he snaps angrily "And don't call me Frank!" Rann turns away from Franciszek so that the Megalan can't see his face, then winks at Cedric.

Trent comes over to the table. "Now now, master wizard," he smiles at Eniarch. "Don't go scaring my regulars please." He looks at the rest of the party. "Everything all right? No harm done, I trust?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Apologies, I meant no harm, good sir." Eniarch's face cracks in a slight smile as he leans in close to address Trent more confidentially. "I had something of a checkered childhood myself, once, and this all had an almost.. familiar feel to it. As a small favor, if you would, ask that young serving girl to stop by again soon, and to bring a fresh tankard of ale. I have a question best suited for her ears alone."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well." Trent nods and turns away to attend to the request.

Franciszek waits for Trent to leave, before coming over to Eniarch. "You wouldn't happen to know a cleaning spell, I suppose?" He gestures at his stew-soiled robe.

Once the grumpy wizard goes over to Eniarch, Rann leans into Cedric's ear. "Don't mind him," he whispers, and pats Cedric on the back. "But, next time you might not want to leave your share of the money on the table, eh?"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch shakes his head sadly at the inquiry of his Megalan counterpart. "I'm afraid not. I primarily work with light and shadow, not stew and stains."

He looks Franciszek up and down for a moment, and then pats the bundle of clothing he's had tied to his staff. "You're probably too tall and a bit too broad in the shoulder, but if you think my spare items might fit, I could let you use them. They certainly aren't fancy, but they're clean enough."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Apologies, Fr... my friend. You may have to help me with pronunciation in the future."

Cedric turns to Rann and chuckles, "Thank you, I was a bit distracted by the food.

"Not that this doesn't demonstrate that already,
    " he adds, patting his middle region.

I'll have to make sure to ask about the accommodations when Trent returns.

Cedric returns to his seat as the others mill about, and resumes eating his stew.

"Let me know if you change your mind, friend." he says to Franciszek.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-06 at 08:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Franciszek walks over to Ementha and also asks her whether she knows a cleaning spell.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

After Ementha's little display, she quietly sat back down and placed the bracelet back in her pocket. When Franciszek approaches her, she is blinking her eyes, trying to force the glowing circle that burned its way into her eyes to dissapate more quickly.

"Oh, no, I'm sorry. The best way I know of getting out a spill like that involves a scrub brush and a basin of warm, soapy water," she replies to Franciszek. "Widow Griselda was always one to do as much as she could with her own two hands and so she didn't teach me many spells to do that sort of thing."

She turns to the rest of the table, "Did someone manage to pick up the coin purse then? I thought he dropped it before I left, but I don't see it now."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I think the young lad may have escaped with the purse," Cedric says sadly, giving her an overt wink.

"Poor fellow must've been scared half out of his pants, the way you stood up, all authoritative and glowing fiercely, like you'd just descended from a cloud or something. Very impressive and quick thinking, too. Good eyes, you two."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

Rann nods at Cedric and Ementha, and sits back down. Seeing the serving woman returning with another tankard for Eniarch, he says "I could do with another drink myself. How about you, Cedric? Do you think you could cover four more, or should we put them on the tab? Ementha, you've hardly touched your drink," he says when he looks over at hers. Turning back to Cedric, he says "Oh, well maybe only three more then. What do you say? I'm sure Franciszek could do with another."

The serving woman smiles at Eniarch nervously as she places the fresh tankard in front of him.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, I wasn't terribly fond of my current mug, but you definitely deserve another after noting that thief before... maybe even two! Franciszek, one for you too? I'm still working on my current one. It doesn't appear that you're drinking much tonight, Miss Ementha?" he says turning to each of them in turn.

"Probably best, given you could practically take a bath in one, you're so willowy," he tosses in with a wink.

"Miss, 2 more ales for our heroes here! My treat. Oh, and add this last one ordered byr my eloquent friend onto my tab, if you would. Thank you!"
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-09 at 06:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha blushes at Cedric's compliment. "It's all in the voice. You sound like you're the boss, and people tend to try you like it."

Ementha has indeed not eaten much nor had much to drink. After eating a bit more than half the bowl, she has switched to picking at the stew more than really eating it. She has barely had a sip to drink at all, but when offered more, she places a hand over her mug. "No thanks. To be honest, I'm not a fan of alcohol at all. Dulls the senses, don't ya know. I like to stay sharp. I'll drink what I've got here, but nothing more. Thank you."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-03-09 at 05:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Pushing the tankard over to Cedric with a slight smile, Eniarch follows by placing his last two farthings on the table. "You cannot put this one on your tab, because I am not about to allow you to pay for my gift. We can discuss it later, if you wish, and perhaps I will reconsider."

Having settled for the drink, Eniarch beckons the young girl closer, and drops his voice. "When I was about that boy's age, I too tried to take what did not belong to me, so I know there exists more than one reason to steal from another. No real harm was done, and so I assure you - I wish him no ill will. However, I would ask: Do you know why this boy would seek to take what was not his?"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

"No," the woman says. "No I don't, sir. Sorry."