New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Location: on a quiet road leading through a shallow valley, on the way to Fordham Town. 2 November 2005; a little while after dawn.

@Muelennah and Jorik

The road to Fordham Town has been quiet so far. It is still fairly early, and being a cold, dark morning in late autumn, you wouldn't expect to see many people out and about. The fields have been empty and the woods have been calm. So, when you spot another traveller on the road, especially a non-human one at that, it is a little unusual.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure you can both come up with suitable reasons for your PC to be heading to town, so I'll leave those to you

I'm also assuming that you'll have both eaten before this point, unless you have a reason to want otherwise (naturally, rations on your sheet are how you start play, and will be unaffected either way).

---

Location: inside the Red Harding tavern. 1 November 2005; late evening.

Franciszek looks at Eniarch. "Certainly," he says. "But purpose and power implies non-frivolous use."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah's long stride quickly closes the distance between himself and the small figure. His hooves methodically kick up dust, adding to the poor visibility in the post-dawn gloom. He calls out as he draws close, "Greetings fellow traveler. I am Muelennah of Deerwood, loyal servant to the King in Carrick. May I ask your name and your destination?"

A few stray curls of red hair escape from under a leather helm, framing a young face. The centaur's height is that of a tall man, but he carries himself with a confidence that adds a few inches on top of the whole. He casually holds a stout spear, and although he is mostly covered with leather armor he does not look too threatening.
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-19 at 09:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik turns as the centaur appears out of the morning mist. His hand had briefly slipped to the pommel of his sword, but now he lets it fall away. "And greetings to you, Muelennah of Deerwood," he says, "I am Jorik, sometimes called Ninefingers, other times the Long-Winded, and I am headed on this...fine morning to Fordham-town."

He laughs a little at his own joke. A sword and buckler swing easily at his side, and he wears a leather cap pushed back on his head. He looks friendly enough, if rather tiny next to the other traveler. His trim black beard is shot through with silver, and he strokes it absently as he continues: "It seems we are traveling the same way, perhaps you too go to Fordham? I had not expected to find anyone on the road, and a bit of company would be most welcome in these somewhat troubled times. Unless, of course, you have pressing business and must hurry on, in which case, I will not keep you."
    And in fleeing one passed too near me and I cut off his head to teach him some manners.
    -Kosru Malik, The Road of Azrael, Robert E. Howard.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah smiles at Jorik's joke. "A fine morning indeed. I am headed to Fordham, but made good time yesterday and know no reason for haste. You set the pace and I will keep up."

As the pair begins moving again Muelennah eyes Jorik's garb, lingering on his sword and buckler. "Are the troubled times you speak of the civil war, or are there more local troubles that you are aware of? You certainly look prepared for trouble, although I don't begrudge you that." He grins wryly and lifts his spear with the last sentence.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, my large friend," Jorik laughs, "I think it would be me that would have to keep up with you. As for the rest, it seems to me at times that the whole world is troubled, but I meant nothing more specific than the war. With the King's attentions elsewhere, the roads are not as safe as they once were, and I have found it best to be prepared."
    As they continue on their way, Jorik does his best not to slow Muelennah too much.
    "You seem admirably equipped yourself," he says, "I would guess that together we present a fearsome, if somewhat curious, appearance."
    And in fleeing one passed too near me and I cut off his head to teach him some manners.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah nods thoughtfully. "Curious, aye. I hear there is more variety of people in Megalos, but I would rather be called curious here than call that place home." A snort of disgust makes it all too plain how the centaur feels about Megalos.

After an awkward moment, Muelennah's eyes brighten and he speaks again. "I am prepared for trouble if it finds us. Rather I hope it finds us so that I may prove the better of it. Have you had opportunity to distinguish yourself by defending Caithness from her enemies?"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I was referring more to our difference in height," Jorik says, "but you are of course correct. I've spent my fair share of time in Megalos, but I'll gladly raise a toast to the Deerwood and the Great Forest, the Conn and the Smoke, and our rolling plains."
    He raises an imaginary mug, and it is now plain where he gets his epithet: he is missing the small finger on his left hand.
    "As for the enemies of Caithness, I like to think I've played my small role, but, if truth be told, I doubt I will be remembered in song, unless of course I make one myself! And what about you? Have you broken a lance or two on the shields of the foe?"

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah raises his own arm in mock toast. "To Caithness! We must make it a proper toast when we reach Fordham," he says with a broad smile.

"As to my exploits, they unfortunately lie in the future, although not too distance I hope. I have passed my life in the forests of Deerwood, serving the crown and other nobles as a gamekeeper. Now I hope to serve the crown more directly by proving worthy of the Knights of the Stone. That is why I travel to Fordham... Megalos often overreaches nearby, and I am sure I can prove myself by deed there. That is why I inquired after local troubles, thinking that you may have heard something."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ah, I thought that might have been the case. Let us hope that you find deeds worthy of a Knight of the Stone! My own reason for heading for Fordham is much less romantic, I fear." Jorik gives an embarrassed chuckle. "I was enjoying a leisurely sail down the Conn, thinking of visiting some of my acquaintances in Durham, when I managed to fall asleep. Naturally, I soon ran onto a rock. Luckily I was using my pack as a pillow, and nothing apart from the boat was lost...well, the boat and my dignity. I found myself wet and without transportation on the bank of the river, and decided I might as well make my way to Fordham. It's been a number of years since my last visit, and I always enjoy seeing old places again."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah laughs deeply at Jorik's tale. "It is good that you woke up when you did! I would be much too nervous to sleep on a boat myself. But pray, tell me of Fordham since I have had but vague description of it. Do you think it likely that I will find opportunity there?"
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-20 at 12:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha looks Franciszek in the eye. "Ah, but a lack of frivolity implies, well not much fun. You can live your life with all the purpose and power that you like. I'd be bored to tears if I couldn't have a little fun while I was at it. Why not let your hair down a bit? I could tell you of your future, if you'd like."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik laughs with Muelennah. As they walk and talk, he picks up a stick from beside the road and begins whittling unconsciously.
    "Well," he says,"You probably know as much or more than I do, having lived in the Deerwood—I myself come from the southwest of the Great Forest. In any case, the last time I was in Fordham was back in '81 or '82, I had a cask or two to sell of what could almost pass for Aliaran red (especially if you didn't have much of a palate). Ah, the harebrained schemes of youth. I had only been in town a day before the Legions came across the border." He sighs, then smiles.

"I imagine a great deal has changed in twenty years! It is true that Fordham is somewhat near the border, but I suspect you might have had better luck looking for deeds of martial valor in Durham, which is closer to New Jerusalem. It is a wild and desolate land, however, and other opportunities may await. Yesterday, for instance, I saw a notice that Lord Berd was hiring mages—having no such talent myself, I passed over it, but perhaps you hide unknown talents beneath your warlike exterior?"

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch shakes his head in disagreement. "To the contrary. Entertainment can be powerful, and the inspiration of others is a noble purpose. Let the girl read your palm and try not to be quite so dour this evening."

He shrugs and motions flicks a hand in Ementha's direction. "Perhaps she'll inspire you to something greater in the process, and if she does not, what have you lost that would not have passed in any case?"

14. - Top - End - #374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah pushes his chest forward and stand up a bit straighter. "A warlike exterior, it is true! I have no claim to magic, though, and have seen precious little of it. It is mostly nobles and knights that come hunting in Deerwood, and then more entertainment. I suppose some of them have magic, but it wouldn't be sporting to use magic to aid in the hunt. I did see a major healing after a hunting accident, and as strange as it looked it proved effective in the end." The centaur smiles faintly, remembering the event.

"Oh well. I do not seek employment either, although it could have been an opportunity to gain a patron for joining the knighthood. I thought Fordham a better destination because Megalos tends to avoid the strength of Durham, but perhaps that was too rash a decision... no no, I am sure it will work out." The pensive look that came across Muelennah's face as he spoke of the merits of Fordham versus Durham is fleeting, soon replaced by a confident smile.

Muelennah then looks at Jorik with an appraising eye. "Perhaps you have talents both martial and arcane? You might have needed arcane powers to try pulling off such a scheme in your youth."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fret not! I am sure you will find opportunity for advancement." Jorik smiles encouragingly. "The Legions do tend to avoid Durham, it is true, but I was under the impression you sought more individual deeds of arms, which in this time of relative peace on the border you might have better found there."

The stick Jorik has been whittling is slowly evolving into what might very charitably be called a duck. "I am sure there will be many knights at Fordham, and perhaps you can distinguish yourself in friendly bouts with them. As for my own magical tendencies, I have no more arcane talent than this." He holds up the vaguely duck-like object. "What do you think," he says, "A pretty good gryphon, no?"

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah take one look at Jorik's "gryphon" and chuckles. "You had best stick to selling wine. I have seen gryphons from relatively close, and there is a fleeting resemblance at best. The torso there is much too fat, see? Gryphons are very well-muscled and fierce. As to Durham... you may be right. If there is no deed readily obvious in Fordham I will make my way there. You said you were headed there yourself, no? I have only had stories from knights of their individual challenges to the Megalan knights, and those stories are light on how to find a fight and heavy on the fight itself. Is there some field that knights go to in search of contest perhaps?"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

Franciszek frowns. "Very well," he replies to Ementha. "You may tell me my 'future' if you wish." To Enairch he says "You misunderstand me. If such magic is put to a noble purpose, then I would not consider it to be an idle pursuit." He sighs and turns away, shifting to face Ementha and offering out his palms. Rann leans back out of their way and watches with interest. The few remaining patrons in the tavern also seeming to be waiting to see what will happen next.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik frowns at Muelennah's critique of his carving, but shrugs it away. "Well, I shall have to draw on your expertise the next time. I had intended to visit Durham, yes, but the fates seem to have decreed otherwise. It was such a nice little boat. In any case, it was nothing more than a very general plan, and I am content to let the wind blow me where it will." He leaves the gryphon/duck on the side of the road as they continue on.

"As for deeds of arms, I can tell you little more than what I have heard in tales, not being particularly inclined to those pursuits myself. It is my understanding that there are many ways of making a name for oneself, as in tourneys and melees, or in less formal events such as the holding of a particular bridge or ford against knightly foes. That said, I suspect it is much easier for one who is already a knight to find opponents—I salute your enthusiasm, but caution that you may encounter resistance with no particular rank. I am assuming, of course, that you have not yet been squired or knighted?"

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah tries his best to apologize after seeing Jorik's frown. "I did not mean to insult your work sir, although I appear to have. My mother always said I spoke before I thought." At the mention of his mother, Muelennah frowns ever so slightly. The frown deepens as he continues. "You are right, I have no claim to be a knight aside from knowing it is the life for me and entrance to tourneys is out of the question. To be frank, the decision to pursue the knighthood is fairly recent and I set out before consulting a knight about how best to join. I have had many tales from knights as they hunted, but they only convinced me of their valor and chivalry rather than being instructive. I do know that I am the first centaur seeking entry to the knighthood, and thought it best to have completed some deed of renown before seeking admission."

A smile replaces the frown quickly, though. "Where the wind blows you, eh? Then you must have traveled many places! I have been limited to Deerwood, and never even made it to Carrick. Have you been there? Is it as impressive as they say? Where else have you been?" Muelennah is a font of questions, and his desire to hear and see these places is obvious.
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-20 at 12:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik smiles at Muelennah's apology. "No insult intended or taken, I am much out of practice it is true. And please, call me Jorik, 'sir' still feels like my grandfather." He laughs, then continues. "It would be wise indeed to be known valiant before seeking to become a knight, but I might also caution you to avoid challenging the first knight you happen to see in the street!"

Smiling again, he answers the centaur's question. "I have indeed been many places. Carrick is quite impressive, especially for one raised away from the cities, though there are many that exceed it in size, in Megalos and such. I have sailed all up and down the Conn and the Smoke, and once even into the Mare Medium, an experience I do not care to repeat! I've never been so sick in my life." Just at the thought of it, a bit of green comes into his face. "I spent a year or two in Bannock, and traveling about al-Wazif and al-Haz—the Muslim knights too can provide worthy opponents for those seeking advancement—but I began to long for the great forests of Caithness, and so here I am."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah smiles wryly, "I am used to spending my time serving knights and nobles, so if I throw more sirs your way please forgive me. I will try to be wise in my challenges, but if I see a Megalan I will have a difficult time refraining. They are full of greed and misplaced pride, well at least as far as I can tell. Why else would Megalos constantly infringe upon fair Caithness?"

Muelennah's eyes grow larger at the mention of each place Jorik has been, and finally exclaims "Truly you have seen the entire world! I have only heard of some of those places in passing. I had not given thought to al-Wazif or al-Haz... I do desire to join the Knights of the Stone, but I already feel beholden to defending the people of Caithness against their foes. I think challenging the knights of nations that have born us little ill-will when the Megalan threat constantly looms would not be right. I have heard little of those nations, though, and you have lived there! What are our neighbors to the south like?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik smiles at Muelennah's wonder. "As for the challenging of knights, I simply meant that, not being a knight yourself, it might be within their rights to refuse a challenge to honourable combat, and instead offer battle with a more permanent outcome. It is true that Megalos continually wages war on us, but I have found that the ordinary folk there are like ordinary folk everywhere, with their own particular local differences, of course, but much the same for all of that."

As the morning and the walking warm him, he removes his cap, bunching it idly in his hand.
    "When it comes to the knights of al-Wazif, I did not mean that you should go crusading off, only that if you happen to encounter one of their knights, they too are valorous. Those nations also are foes of Megalos, though as far as I know peace reigns on the borders at the moment, as here. I must admit enjoying my time in the lands to the south, they are a people of much learning, and the call to prayer has a haunting beauty in the morning air. As I just said of Megalos, so too of our neighbors: ordinary folk are much the same everywhere. The music, poetry, and food is different (and delicious), but people are people." He shrugs widely.
    "I have been many places, it is true, but there remains a great deal of the world to see! I have not, for instance, seen much more of the Deerwood than its' shadow in the distance and the trees on either side of the Conn, what can you tell me of it?"
    Last edited by Hades; 2010-03-20 at 04:50 PM. Reason: The order of the earlier version was annoying me, this should read better.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah nods silently at Jorik's wise words. "You have given me much to think about... perhaps it is as you say, that by and large the people in Megalos are like you and me."

The slow pace does little to warm Muelennah, but as Jorik takes his cap off Muelennah begins to absentmindedly pull on the red hair that is poking free of the helmet. "Deerwood... it is a beautiful place. I have spent nearly my entire life under its boughs. It is younger and smaller than the Great Forest in the south, or so I hear. The rolling hills continue into the forest, and coupled with dense undergrowth and the small streams leading to the Conn the forest can lead to a strenuous hunt. All manner of beast lives there, and I daresay I have tracked them all. Just last winter I lay for two days watching a badger family in the depths of the forest. There is a beast that deserves respect... I saw them chase off a small pack of wolves before I had to break for camp." The memory brings a smile to Muelennah's face.

"Most of those that come to Deerwood to hunt desire larger game, though, and my specialty is leading a boar hunt," with which Muelennah brandishes his spear for emphasis.

"The regions you have seen alongside the Conn are a bit more dense and less hilly than the rest of the forest due to the abundance of water there. I have spent most of my time on the western side of the Conn, and only on one of the famed gryphon hunts did we need to move a hunt from one side of the river to the other. Have you ever seen one of the gryphons when passing down the Conn? It is rare, but not unheard of."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik lets himself be swept up into Muelennah's excitement at describing the forest and the hunt. "Your words weave an enchanting tapestry, and make me long for the meadows and glades of my own homeland," he says, "but you must be a mighty hunter indeed! Rare are those who confront the boar and escape without scars. I myself have some small skill with the sling, but there is little one can do to prove oneself with a bit of string and a rock! I think the most dangerous beast I ever hunted was a particularly meddlesome blackbird, but that's a story for another time." He shakes his head briefly at the memory.
    "As for seeing a gryphon, I think we might guess the answer to that question from my previous attempt at carving one, but no, I never encountered one when sailing on the Conn. It is a relatively traveled river, and I suspect they might avoid going too near, except, perhaps, when pursued in a hunt. That must be a challenging experience, eh, what with the flying and large beak and so forth?"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric's lute twangs awkwardly as he stops strumming momentarily, and leans intently towards the fortune telling.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well centaurs are naturally adept with spears, and a good spear is the best way to hunt boar. We centaurs are also quite quick of foot, so no scars yet!" So saying, Muelennah leaps into a quick canter and thursts his spear forward at imaginary foes.

Coming back alongside Jorik, Muelennah continues. "As to the gryphon, well I was too young to be really involved in the hunt. I rode at the tail end of the hunting party, carrying some spare weapons and supplies. I cannot say whether the experience is challenging since as you say gryphons fly and avoid people if they can. Getting a gryphon to challenge the hunting party seems to be the majority of the hunt, and on that particular outing the nobles grew tired before the gryphon grew exasperated."

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha, sensing many more sets of eyes on her, straightens up in her chair. She takes Franciszek's hands in her own, examining them closely for a moment. She closes her eyes, but continues stroking his hands with her fingers. "Hmm..." she says loudly enough to be heard by the onlookers. "Well the signs I see for you are well into your future. There is much good here. Much to be proud of, yes. I see a great deal of tiresome work, but many goals reached in the process. You will one day be a great and respected wizard. Ah yes, your connection to the elements is still there. You will find, no, not find, create a home of your own. Turning firmament into lake, then erecting a tower rising over the waters."

Ementha smiles as she tells Franciszek his future, until suddenly her eyes tighten. She bites at her lower lip. "Oh, but there is sadness there too. You will have several books to keep you company, but you will long for human companionship. Your lake and tower hold the world away. You will need to find a way to reach from your tower in some way other than magic. If you rely too heavily on the arts arcane, you will lose out on the arts humane. Please, don't let this happen, I would hate to see you die isolated, without ever finding love."

She opens her eyes. She looks at Franciszek with concern, then closes them once more. "As for the short term: Beware of birds. Perhaps ducks, or geese, some sort of waterfowl anyway. One will soon wish you harm. Oh, and I see a short person, a short man, in your future. Listen to him; he'll have advice for you. Take it to heart and you will find happiness for a time."

(Fortune Telling - skill 15)
    Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[14]

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You possess a mighty spirit in truth, and I look forward to hearing of the great deeds of Muelennah of the Knights of the Stone in future. I also couldn't ask for a better companion on the road: you listen to me ramble on."
    Jorik refrains from laughing at his own joke this time. "I have heard that gryphons are indeed reluctant prey—I know some live in the Great Forest, but I never saw any of them there either. I would rarely venture too deeply into the forest, it is true, except when some of the sheep might wander. Yes, my friend, I spent my youth herding sheep, and now you know why I sought adventure in the wider world."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

Franciszek looks unconvinced by Ementha's performance. "That might work on peasants," he scoffs as he withdraws his hands. "But it will take something stronger to influence me."

Soon afterwards, Trent calls out "Closing up!" and the few remaining patrons begin to shuffle out.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-03-21 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added Trent

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks disappointed at Franciszek's evaluation of Ementha's telling.

"Give it a chance, friend. If you recall, the miss told me I would meet a few birds who would accompany me... and then I met two more of you afterwards... and that was before I even knew I'd be traveling with you!" He says this with sincerity and conviction and smiles warmly at Franciszek.

After Trent calls out for closing, Cedric looks at everyone at the table and says, "Showtime, I think that's my cue, I will try to handle this one. Are we in agreement then, that we will stay here for the night, if possible?"

He stands up and dusts crumbs off of himself.