New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Muelennah chuckles at Jorik's joke. "What was your other nickname, Long-winded? Never you mind, a centaur loves a good tale and I am no exception. Herding sheep? Yes, I can see wanting more excitement. Even the thrill of the hunt and the beauty of Deerwood can feel confining at times." He sighs and grows quiet.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

"And I am glad to have an audience! But never you mind, I think it is natural for the young to feel confined, and to desire to see new things. All birds must eventually leave the nest, but that doesn't mean they can't go back and visit their families and friends." With this, Jorik too will fall silent, if it seems that Muelennah would like to be alone with his thoughts.
    And in fleeing one passed too near me and I cut off his head to teach him some manners.
    -Kosru Malik, The Road of Azrael, Robert E. Howard.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Stronger? I could give you 'stronger', but I think you do not know what you ask for. Eniarch nods. "If Trent can be so persuaded, then I am in agreement."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Orc in the Playground

Rann looks at Cedric. "By all means, big man," he says, then glances around the table. "Eniarch has already said yes. And while Franciszek here hasn't agreed, I don't see him itching to do the deed," he smiles.

"If you're volunteering to speak to the barkeep, then do so. Just don't lean on him too much," he adds with a wink.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric winks back at Rann, gives them all a nod, picks up his lute, and walks amicably over towards Trent.

"Mr. Harding, I must compliment you on your delicious stew. I had to have two bowls I liked it so much. And I'm not only speaking for myself here. As for the ale, it quenched the thirst, but sometime, perhaps when we come back from where we're traveling, I would enjoy comparing notes. My name is Cedric the Brewman, and I brewed my own ale and cooked some of the food back in Carrick at the Blue Foot Dragon Inn, which my father owned. Have you heard of it?" He looks a bit excited and hopeful.

"No, probably not... it was just another inn in an endless sea of buildings and people. Just so, I think we would have missed this particular gem had we not made friends with a few of your regulars on the way here... Warren did all the sensible talking, with a running commentary from his less eloquent but equally vocal friends Frederick, and Harold. They all enthusiastically recommended the Red Harding as a good place to fill our oat bags, so to speak."

Cedric pauses, takes a breath, and continues on... And now that introductions and formalities are aside, on to the main show.

"They also mentioned that you may be able to help out with a sleeping space for those wanting for a place to stay who have a far distance to travel, if we mentioned our friends the wheat farmers sent us.... and perhaps as a bonus, offer to lead your customers in a rousing drinking song or two sometime after we finish our journey." He says this indicating his lute, and strums a chord. Such an awful discordant noise emits from the lute, that Cedric jumps a bit and checks to make sure a string didn't break.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know that Cedric has +1 charisma but I didn't think that actual carousing applied here, though he is trying to joke some and be chummy with Trent.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha nods her agreement that Cedric should speak with Trent.

She turns back to Franciszek as she waits for Cedric to be done. "This man is simply infuriating. Someone needs to adjust his attitude," she thinks.

"If stronger magic is what you want, I have that as well. I just also acknowledge that there are powers at play in this world that don't flow directly from the manipulation of mana. It would save you a great deal of energy and frustration if you could accept that too. My predictions don't come from forcing mana to obey my will, but instead from observing the relationships between things in nature and the signs that they carry." She shrugs twirling her hair around her finger. "Dismiss my observations if you will, that makes them no less real."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Devereux View Post
    I know that Cedric has +1 charisma but I didn't think that actual carousing applied here, though he is trying to joke some and be chummy with Trent.
    Charisma is good - I factored that in.
    Probably wise not to go with Carousing to try and influence a tavern/inn keeper, as the staff themselves will not be drunk and may be somewhat inured to such approaches - certainly with customers who haven't spent excessively, anyway.

You could have opted to use either of your Profession Skills for the influence roll in this case as well - they wouldn't have been inappropriate here. That said, Cedric is only really a journeyman Bartender and Brewer, so a straightforward reaction roll was probably safest. *clatter*

"I'm glad you liked our stew," says Trent. "It is famous round here for a reason," he smiles. "So, you used to be a brewer yourself, did you? Gave it up for a life of adventure, I see, from your sword and armour and such. The civil war, was it? Not for a crack at the Megalans, I'd wager, judging by your present company.

"Ho ho, so Warren said that, did he? I shall have to have words with him about volunteering my services. Well, it's too late for song, now,"
    he gestures at the empty room. "No customers. You should have offered earlier.

"I'm sure we could let you sleep here, if you don't mind the floor. It will be warmer than outside, at any rate. There is also the matter of your tab,"
    he picks up a slate marked with chalk. "Eighteen farthings, so far. And will you be wanting a meal in the morning? Or food for your journey, perhaps? Bread for your horse outside?"

Spending tally:
    Spoiler
    Show
    By my reckoning, the following has been paid IC:
    Rann___$14___2x stew, 2x pint (deducted from sheet)
    Eniarch_$ 9___1x stew, 2x pint (also deducted, I believe)
    Cedric__$ 7___1x stew, and a tip (appears deducted from farthings, but the corresponding $ total doesn't match)

And the following is outstanding IC:
    tab____$18___2x stew, 4x pint
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    typically, what sort of "target" is a base reaction roll? I mean, how would I know if a skill is somewhat "low" to be using? Or just go with "best judgment" which I'm happy to do, in order to avoid paint-by-numbers

Cedric nods and replies, "Well, I do miss being a man of the drink, but have enjoyed traveling about. See, a friend of mine, Gillian the Bronze, picked me up as an impromptu guard and cook as sort of a favor when my uncle, who had inherited the inn from my father, passed away. Then his wife sold off my father's holdings to make ends meet. Unfortunately, these hard times eventually found Gill as well, and in turn, found me too. Lucky for me, this friendly lot here," he says, thumbing his new friends, "offered me a post to guard them on some sort of errand they're running the same day Gill ended our contract together. I tell myself they hired me for my good looks and wit, but I think they're more interested in putting a bit of flesh and metal between themselves and anything they meet along the way. At any rate, I count my blessings for all the bit of fortunate circumstances that appear to follow me around."

"So as such, let me settle the bill for the rest of them. And buy us all a bit of breakfast for them in the morning as well. We're looking to provision in Fordham, but I don't think it'd hurt to bring an extra bite or two along the way. I was starving by the time we arrived here."

At this, Cedric pulls out his personal change purse, and asks "Oh and take it easy on poor Warren. We gave them all a bit of a fright on the way here... us thinking we're charging to their rescue, thems thinking we're bandits come to take their purses. I'm sure they'll tell you next they swing by. We're grateful for them pointing us here, though sorry for the scare earlier tonight... young lad tried to make off with one of our purses."

He starts counting out the required 18 farthings worth of change, index finger sliding each coin from one little pile to another little pile on the palm of his other hand. "How much then for breakfast? We can talk about more provisions in the morning when my head's a bit less foggy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I've lost track of my own spending. I believe it was 28 silver and 8 copper? For a total of 120cf worth of money. I must have misdeducted earlier, perhaps you can set me straight.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-23 at 04:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    typically, what sort of "target" is a base reaction roll? I mean, how would I know if a skill is somewhat "low" to be using? Or just go with "best judgment" which I'm happy to do, in order to avoid paint-by-numbers
    I realise my previous statement was probably misleading. Reaction rolls are a GM device rather than player tool. They operate on a different mechanic than a normal skill roll, but are affected by the same passive advantages and disadvantages (charisma, good/bad attractiveness, good/bad reputation, high/low social status, etc) that could affect an influence attempt.

Basically, as a player you don't need to worry about them really. You just need to decide whether to overtly try to "influence" the NPC with an appropriate skill, or whether to just rely on the situation and RP. I believe this is what you meant by "best judgement".

The more I try an explain it, the more convoluted my explanation seems to get. So, I'll leave it at that. If you have any further questions on reaction rolls, then post them in the OOC thread and I'm sure one of the others will do a better job of explaining it.

"We can do you each a bowl of porridge for breakfast. That'll be three Farthings, so," Trent counts on his fingers. "Another fifteen Farthings please. If you each want a drink to go with it, that'll be ten more Farthings."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I've lost track of my own spending. I believe it was 28 silver and 8 copper? For a total of 120cf worth of money. I must have misdeducted earlier, perhaps you can set me straight.
    No worries. I believe you started with $120. Your sheet now says "Cash in pouch = $120 (28sp 1cf)". As the IC money now adds up to $113, I took that to mean that you'd deducted 7 farthings from the 8 you started with, but did not update the $120 to match.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric stops counting, and thinks for a moment.

"Does the porridge come with lamb too?" he asks with a chuckle. "Or more seriously, perhaps, an egg or two hard boiled for the trip? Provided you have access to clean drinking water, I'll leave it to the rest of them to decide if they want anything more in the way of a drink, but we could all use a good start to tomorrow."

He carefully counts the extra 15 farthings, thinks a moment longer, scratches his cheek, thinks a pause longer, and adds an extra 17 farthings to the mix. He explains, "Here's for breakfast. And here's a bowl of stew for Warren next time he appears, a mug of ale for both Frederick and Harold, and an extra 10 for letting us use your floor, us making some general hubbub for your folks to talk about, and just your overall good hospitality."

Cedric then reaches out to give Trent his money due.

Spoiler
    Show

Let's be honest. I have no idea how much money Cedric spent tonight. 57 I believe? by my count, 15 of those he will later take out when they start using the marks, but 42 was sort of his willing expenses from his own money
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-23 at 08:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Cedric reaches out, he pauses, and considers.

Perhaps now would be a good time to get a bit of change for this mark. That will make things easier tomorrow as well.

He brings his hand back and says, "Well now, about that theoretical mark my friend mentioned earlier. If you will I'd like to use it now to help settle the bill. As you astutely observed, flash a mark about isn't always common or advisable. But given that things are a bit more private now, and we could use a bit of loose change to provision our trip once we're in town rather than flashing a touch of gold around where a whole city can see it..."

At this, Cedric reaches about for the yellow purse he had hidden away earlier and then looks expectantly at Trent for his reaction.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-24 at 07:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmm, there's two hundred Copper Farthings to a Mark," ponders Trent. "I don't have enough coins under the counter to total a hundred and fifty Farthings here. If you'd like to wait, I can get it for you," he pauses. "But I'd say that if you are going to want any more provisions, let us sort that out now, eh?" Trent smiles.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric nods.

"Well, that makes sense all around I'd say. I confess I wasn't privvy to where exactly we are traveling." He looks a bit embarassed at this. "Though, I can speak for roughly how long we may be without the blessings of civilization... And you seem the fair type, I'd much rather give you the business then an unknown face in Fordham. Though I'm sure if we have time to see my sister then she may be able to help. Well though I'm not sure where exactly she'll be living these days..."

Cedric catches himself rambling and cuts himself short.

"So then, we'll be needing goods that'll keep for two or perhaps three weeks, and a bit of food for the horse, though I should probably get a bit of input on that matter from the owner. I know horses, but only my experience mostly lies in going from town to town with a wagon, or stabling them. I haven't done much wandering with a horse, myself."

Cedric looks back at the table at his friends hopefully and meaningfully, but does not call out yet.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

Rann catches Cedric's glance, and comes over. "If you're discussing supplies now," he says. "Then I'd ask if we can get some grain or even bread, for the horse. It's something I would like to do in Fordham, otherwise. It would be useful for emergencies - if there isn't suitable grazing, or for if we have to work him hard.

"We also need to decide how long we want to supply for. I did ask earlier in the evening, but we didn't reach any agreement. So, perhaps let's aim to travel light, for now. We can always buy more later."

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric nods once in agreement.

"I believe John implied it would be two or three weeks when we were discussing the pay. I was just asking Mr. Harding here what sort of goods he has available that we may be able to buy that would keep for a couple weeks. I would like to travel as light as possible, but may run into problems unless we find a town out in the wilderness, or unless perhaps you're a good hunter. Though I suppose we could eat light for a few days if need be."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch slides up to take part in the discussion. "As well, there exists an issue of carrying capacity. A few sacks to bind it all up would be a wise acquisition. Surely there are a few spares laying about in the back room from previous purchases we might acquire?"

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't have much that's fancy, here," says Trent. "Certainly not that's both easily transportable and would last you weeks and weeks, like you're asking, mister Cedric. I can give you fresh bread though, and that should last a good few days. It won't be fancy, but it'll be cheaper than what you can get in town, and it'll fill your belly just the same. Each of these loaves will be like this one; weighs two pounds.

"As for a bag, I can let you have one of my sacks to go with them. Let's say ten loaves of bread, that should fill this here,"
    he holds up a small sack. "Ten loaves for fifty Farthings. A fair price? If you want them, we'll have to get baking tonight, as I don't have them just sitting here," he smiles. "But they'll be ready for you in the morning. What do you say?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Each loaf as Trent says, weighs 2lbs. One loaf would be enough of a meal to feed four people. Ten loaves will be 20lbs and 40 meals in total.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I confess... fresh bread is a weakness of mine. Especially if you have fresh butter to go with it. I cannot guarantee it would last a day, forget about a week!"

Cedric looks excitedly at Rann and Eniarch.

"Fresh bread at any price is a fair price to me, so I may not be a good judge here. It sounds fair to me, and fresh bread certainly travels better then.... hmmm... then ten bowls of stew," he lamely adds at the end.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch nods in agreement. "Ten loaves would see us through Fordham and back out on the road once more. Make it two sacks. A wise man doesn't put all his eggs in one basket nor all his bread in one bag."
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-03-26 at 02:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

"You want to buy twenty loaves?" Trent asks. "That's a lot of baking! I'll see what we can do for you, sir."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric laughs. "I suspect our friend here just wants to split ten loaves into two bags. He is far too skinny to eat that much bread... even with my help. Though often it's the skinny ones who surprise me with just how much food they can make disappear. It's a magic all of itself. Besides, business man or not, we wouldn't want you staying up all night on our behalf."

22. - Top - End - #412
    Orc in the Playground

"Well," frowns Trent. "I'd like to help you, but sacks I have to pay for. I don't rightly see as I can just give them away, when it isn't really needed. But I'll let you have a second sack for another ten farthings."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For comparison, the "average" price for a small sack would be 20 farthings.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-03-26 at 04:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha remains seated at the table while Eniarch and Cedric arrange for food and a place to sleep. She figures it can't take too many people to take care of a few simple negotiations. She leans back in the chair and lets out a loud yawn. "Oh, sorry. I guess it's been a long day," she states. She leans forward, putting her elbows on the table in front of her, and begins twirling a stray lock of her hair between her fingers.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes," agrees Franciszek. "A long day." He looks up at the others. "What is taking them so long?" he grumbles.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-03-26 at 08:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch nods at Trent's counteroffer. "Done." Eniarch turns and walks back to the table, where he spends a moment untying the bundle of clothing from the end of the staff to use as a makeshift pillow and blanket. Glancing momentarily at the crabby Megalan wizard, he remarks on the request for haste. "In the future, Franciszek, if you should want something done more quickly, then my advice is to do it yourself."
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-03-27 at 01:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric blinks at Eniarch's quick arrival and departure.

He asides to Rann and Trent, "Always decisive, sure, and to the point he is... I suppose that's what it's like having so much power and confidence available to you. I confess I am a bit jealous."

Resuming his normal voice he says, "Thank you, I appreciate all you've done for us: a couple of strangers. Let me summarize what I think we talked about. I'm covering this evenings tab, a little surprise thank you for Warren and his friends, a little extra for yourself. And then for the group, I will be using this," he holds up the yellow purse, "for our breakfast, an extra sack, and 10 loaves of delicious, delicious freshly baked bread..." he pauses, looking staring into space for a second.

"I think that covers it then."

He then begins attempting to recall the tallies, alternating between counting quietly to himself and counting on invisible fingers.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-27 at 07:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Orc in the Playground

Trent chuckles at Cedric's reaction to the thought of fresh bread. "I hope the smell of baking won't keep you awake tonight," he smiles. "Anyway, that tallies up to a hundred and ten Farthings, by my reckoning," he says. "So, if you've ready to pay now, I'll go and make the arrangements."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Seems we're ready."

Cedric calls out to the table, "Anything else you guys can think of?"

He turns back to Trent, "If it will help you get done more quickly I'd be glad to lend a hand in the kitchen for a few hours. I promise not to sample too much."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

"No, thank you. We'll manage," smiles Trent. He waits expectantly to receive payment.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric opens the yellow purse to remove the mark, and hands it to Trent.

Spoiler
    Show
    That is, theoretically, provided the urchin didn't squirrel it out while we were chasing him about