New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Trent takes the single golden coin carefully. "Thank you," he says. "I shall be back shortly."

Rann grips the counter-top a little too firmly as he watches Trent depart. "Perhaps, I'd better wait with you," he mutters to Cedric. "Just in case." Then he pats Cedric on the shoulder awkwardly as he tries to laugh.

In a little while, the tavernkeeper returns, cupping a pile of coins in his apron. Trent deposits these on the counter, and slides them towards Cedric one at a time, starting with the Silver Pennies. Rann watches intently as the barman counts them out. "Four... Eight... Twelve...

"Fifty-six... Sixty... And sixty-four. That's the silver,"
    smiles Trent, when the sixteenth Penny has joined the pile forming in front of Cedric. "Now the coppers. Sixty-five... Sixty-six...

"Eighty-eight... Eighty-nine... And ninety. Phew!"
    Trent exhales as the twenty-sixth and final Farthing has moved over to Cedric's side of the counter. "That's the first time I've ever had to give a customer so much change!" he lets out a laugh. Rann exhales and forces a smile.

Spoiler
    Show
    So that is 16 Silver Pennies and 26 Copper Farthings in total change.

Quote Originally Posted by Devereux View Post
    That is, theoretically, provided the urchin didn't squirrel it out while we were chasing him about
    No, he didn't. Sadly, there wasn't time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric gives Rann a curious glance, "It is an impressive sight, isn't it?"

Then then carefully adds nine silver pieces from his own purse to the bunch, and removes one copper farthing to keep. "My bit of tonight's expenses, Rann. Dinner was on me."

He scoops the 25 silver pieces and 25 copper farthings into the yellow purse. He lifts it up and down in his palm, appreciating the heft of it.

"Thank you Trent. I wish I could claim this money was all mine and I could buy the whole establishment a round tomorrow night to celebrate. Unfortunately it has to help get us through the next several weeks."

Cedric then offers a hefty hand out to Trent, "I appreciate all you've done tonight. Please wake me if you reconsider my offer to help. Though I can't promise the smell won't bring me in of its own accord."
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-03-27 at 06:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Orc in the Playground

"Thank you, sir," says Trent as he accepts the handshake firmly. "Now, I must be getting on. Make yourselves as comfortable as you can. Feel free to move the tables out the way if you want to sleep by the fire. I'll bring out some fresh wood in a bit."

"Right," says Rann as he tries to put an arm round his larger companion's shoulders. "Let's discuss where you're going to keep that purse safe." As he leads Cedric away, Rann looks back at Trent. "And I'll try and keep him out of your kitchen!" he jokes.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Location: on a quiet road that passes between a wood and a hill, on the way to Fordham Town. 2 November 2005; early morning.

@Muelennah and Jorik

You have been walking together for about an hour, and have still seen no one else but yourselves. The road has been winding steadily northwards to Fordham Town, and now you are passing between a small wood on your left and a low hill on your right. On this quiet morning, chatting away and getting to know each other, your guard has become perhaps a little too relaxed. The mood suddenly changes, as several hobgoblins come rushing out in front of you!

Four of them came out of the woods, but the right-hand nearest hobgoblin was hiding on the hill. They are all armed with clubs and maces and wearing scraps of leather and cloth armour, except one (presumably the leader) which is wielding two axes and wearing metal armour. There is no time for parley, as they seem about to attack!

Map of the road.

Terrain features:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The road is between the vertical lines in the middle of the map. The hexes on either side of the road are dirt and/or grass. All of these blank hexes count as normal terrain and have no effect on movement.

The black filled-in circles indicate tree trunks. Any branches can be assumed to be high enough that they neither provide cover, nor impede movement. The three circles that fill a hex are big trees that provide total cover to those hiding behind them. The seven smaller circles are narrower trunks that provide partial cover (-2 to hit against ranged attacks).

The area on the eastern side of the map with the diagonal shading, denotes the slope of the hill. The hillside is uneven ground, and anyone attacking or defending while standing on the hill, does so at a penalty (-2/-1). Moving through (or off) this terrain costs +1 Move per hex. Each yard of hill also increases height by two feet (from west to east), which can also affect combat (see p.B402).

The areas with the swirly-squiggly shading are bushes or shrubs about 1 yard in height. They provide partial cover (-2 to hit against ranged attacks) for those hiding behind or inside them, but a human would need to crouch/kneel/etc to gain this benefit. Moving through or out of these bushes costs +1 Move. The benefits/penalties for bushes on the hillside are cumulative.

I think that should be everything terrain-wise, but if not then please ask.

Surprise!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, you are suffering from Partial Surprise (p.B393).
    On each turn you must take the Do Nothing manoeuvre, and make an IQ roll to recover from being mentally stunned. If you pass the roll, you may act normally next turn. Otherwise, you remain stunned and must Do Nothing next turn as well. However, as this is only Partial Surprise, you get +1 to the IQ roll on the second turn, +2 on the third turn, and so on.

Until you can act normally, you will defend at -4.

Turn order:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Muelennah
    Hobgoblin Leader
    Jorik
    Hobgoblins

---

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes, I can see how that would be..." Muelennah stops mid-sentence and stares blankly at the sudden appearance of the hobgoblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise recovery...
    IQ (9): (3d6)[11]
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-29 at 06:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik looks up as Muelennah trails off, and is just as surprised as the centaur at the appearance of the hobgoblins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now we also see if I can figure out how the dice roller works...

Roll for recovery from surprise:
    IQ (11): (3d6)[12]

Edit: and drat.
    Last edited by Hades; 2010-03-29 at 07:20 PM.
    And in fleeing one passed too near me and I cut off his head to teach him some manners.
    -Kosru Malik, The Road of Azrael, Robert E. Howard.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Jorik's first turn

Jorik is also frozen by the hobgoblin ambush.

Spoiler
    Show
    You as well. Oh dear!

---

Hobgoblin 2's first turn

Running straight past Muelennah, the hobgoblin turns and swings his weapon in a poorly aimed blow which misses the centaur's rear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move and Attack manoeuvre
    forward x4, turn left x2
    *clatter*
    a fail

---

Hobgoblin 3's first turn

At the same time, the other hobgoblin steps in front of Muelennah and strikes a solid blow towards his lower torso, which the centaur instinctively jumps back from, just in time!

Spoiler
    Show
    All-out Attack (Determined) manoeuvre
    forward, sidestep fwd-right
    *clatter*
    a success
    *clatter
    9 points crushing - 2 DR = 7 HP lost (Dodged as below)

---

Hobgoblins 4 and 5 first turn

Waving their weapons, they rush to keep up with their leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move manoeuvre, forward x5

---

Map updated.

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-03-29 at 08:35 PM. Reason: dodge!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah watches dumbly as the mace swings toward him, but steps backwards just in time to avoid the blow.

Spoiler
    Show

Retreating Dodge, step backwards.
    Dodge (8-4+3, effective 7): (3d6)[7]
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-29 at 08:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Dwarf in the Playground

Narrowly avoiding the blow, Muelennah suddenly snaps out of the daze he was in. He steps backward and turns to face the second hobgoblin. He shouts "Jorik, back up next to me!" as he brings the spear up, firmly gripped like a staff in front of his body.

Spoiler
    Show

Recovery from partial surprise
    IQ (9+1, effective 10): (3d6)[4]

Critical success, instant recovery.
    Ready spear, two-handed as staff.
    Step backwards, face forward-left.
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-03-29 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added maneuver

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

---

Map updated.

---

EDIT: I see that roll was a critical success! So, for that I'll let you recover instantly. You may choose any manoeuvre and act immediately.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-03-29 at 08:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

Hobgoblin Leader's second turn

The leader steps up behind the hobgoblin in front, throwing his axe at Jorik as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack manoeuvre
    step forward
    throw axe at Jorik
    *clatter*
    success
    *clatter*
    5 points cutting damage if not defended

---

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik attempts to duck away from the flying axe, but is hit despite his best efforts, the surprise of the attack still befuddling his senses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Retreating Dodge, straight back.
    Dodge (7-4+3, effective 6):(3d6)[7]

Edit: and drat again. I wasn't sure if you allowed a retreating dodge against thrown weapons, if not, the dodge and drop gives the same +3 bonus, so I could have done that instead.
    Last edited by Hades; 2010-03-30 at 11:09 AM.
    And in fleeing one passed too near me and I cut off his head to teach him some manners.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

The axe thuds into Jorik's shoulder as he dives a little too late.

Spoiler
    Show
    Torso hit. 5 points cutting - 2 DR = 3 *1.5 = 4 HP lost.
    The -4 shock penalty doesn't affect active defences, so I think it won't matter unless you roll crit success on your mental stun recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    Edit: and drat again. I wasn't sure if you allowed a retreating dodge against thrown weapons, if not, the dodge and drop gives the same +3 bonus, so I could have done that instead.
    Retreat is specifically for use against melee attacks. Dodge and Drop is for ranged attacks, so we'll count it as that.

You'll need to roll your IQ save on your turn, now. So, could you mention in the spoiler whether you'd like to drop into Jorik's existing hex, or if one of the three in front of him, then which one? Thanks.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik grunts in pain as the axe slams into his shoulder, despite his efforts to drop under it. He tries again to shake off the surprise of the Hobgoblin's assault, but the pain overwhelms rather than clears his senses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dropping into his own hex would have been the plan.

Roll for recovery from partial surprise:
    IQ (11-4+1, effective 8): (3d6)[11]
    Last edited by Hades; 2010-03-30 at 02:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

Hobgoblin 2's second turn

Side-stepping to his right, the hobgoblin swings at Muelennah's flank.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack manoeuvre
    sidestep right, no facing change
    *clatter*
    success
    *clatter*
    6 points potential crushing dmg

---

Map updated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now that we're trying this out, it makes much more feasible to do the hobgoblins one at a time.

---

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah grits his teeth and brings his spear up to block the blow, moving closer to Jorik's prone form in the process.

Spoiler
    Show

Retreating parry
    Staff parry (8+2staff+1retreat, effective 11): (3d6)[13]

The swing was too fast, though, and it struck Muelennah's left flank with a meaty thud.

Spoiler
    Show

I assumed the hobgoblin was aiming at the lower torso and the leather barding. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lower torso hit: 6 - 2DR = 4 * 1 (cr) = 4 HP lost, no major wound.
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-04-01 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding damage

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I was picturing the leather barding being hit by hobgoblin 2. I note that in this instance it probably doesn't matter, as the DR will be the same. Though with non-crushing weapons it will be very relevant, of course.

---

Hobgoblin 3's second turn

The hobgoblin charges after the centaur and swings again at Muelennah's torso.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-out Attack (Determined) manoeuvre
    forward x2
    *clatter*
    success
    *clatter*
    8 points crushing

---

Map updated.

---

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah twists his body to the side, eyes locked on the mace as it narrowly misses him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh goodness, that was a huge mistake. I opted for the retreating parry (effective 11) versus the retreating dodge (effective 11) because "why not." Well because of the cumulative -4 penalty to additional parries dummy! Oh well... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

Dodge (9-1enc, effective 8): (3d6)[7]
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-04-01 at 04:32 PM. Reason: updated text

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Hobgoblins 4's second turn

Rushing forward into the gap left by the retreating centaur, the next hobgoblin swings at Muelennah and wildly misses.

Spoiler
    Show
    forward x4, fwd-left, turn left
    *clatter*
    fail

---

Map updated.

---

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

Hobgoblins 5's second turn

Running down the other side of the road, the fifth hobgoblin attempts to club the prone Jorik, but his weapon fails to land true.

Spoiler
    Show
    forward x2, sidestep fwd-left
    *clatter*
    fail

---

@Cedric, Ementha and Eniarch

Following a bend in the road, your group's conversation comes to an abrupt halt at the sight of a battle in progress ahead. With the road now straightening-out, you can see that a single centaur is being beset by a small band of hobgoblins.

OOC: You will be able to move normally at the start of your turn, according to the updated order below. For my own sanity, I will refer to this as your "third" turn, to fit the existing sequence.

Updated turn order:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Muelennah
    Cedric
    Hobgoblin Leader
    Jorik
    Rann
    Hobgoblins
    Ementha
    Eniarch
    Franciszek

---

EDIT: Map now updated.

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-04-01 at 06:04 PM. Reason: issue fixed

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah spins the spear haft around, catching the hobgoblin that barely missed him in the gut.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack maneuver, staff two-handed.
    Staff (11+4tele, effective 15): (3d6)[12]
    Damage: (3d6+2)[10]

Step back-left.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric blinks as he takes in the situation before him.

"Filthy bandits!" he hisses in disgust.

At this he drops his pole and bundle of bread, hastily scrambles for his sword, and advances on the horde.

"Oi there! Whatcha think you're doing there?!" he bellows at the hobgoblins.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for Awesome (11):(3d6)[11]
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-04-01 at 09:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

Third turn - Muelennah

Muelennah's swing connects forcefully with the hobgoblin, knocking the green-skinned humanoid backwards and making him fall over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knockback save
    *clatter*
    failed

---

Third turn - Hobgoblin Leader

Barking out gutteral words, the leader draws another axe as he steps forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready manoeuvre
    step forward
    draw weapon

---

Map updated.

---

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorik still cannot bring himself out of the surprise of the hobgoblin attack.

Spoiler
    Show

That's my cue, I believe...

Roll for recovery from surprise.
    IQ (11+2, effective 13) (3d6)[14]

Edit: Heh, this is ridiculous. And hilarious.
    Last edited by Hades; 2010-04-01 at 10:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

Third turn - Rann

"Right behind you, big guy!" says Rann as he hurriedly dismounts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready manoeuvre
    dismount - left side of horse, facing "NE"

---

Third turn - Hobgoblin 2

Running past Muelennah, the hobgoblin swings a blow with his heavy club at the centaur as he does so, before turning to face the newcomers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move and Attack Manoeuvre
    forward-right, forward and Swing at torso (max 9)
    *clatter*
    success
    *clatter*
    9 points potential crushing damage (this counts as a side attack, of course)
    then forward-right, fwd-right, fwd-left

---

EDIT: Forgot to say that map has been updated.

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-04-04 at 08:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah sees the hobgoblins attack late, and tries desperately to block the swing with his spear.

Spoiler
    Show

Side attack, check. I believe that puts my defenses at -2, but because the spear is held in both hands I can still defend both side hexes. Otherwise the left side hex could only be dodged or blocked. Correct?

Parry (8+2staff-2side, effective 8): (3d6)[15]

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spear is simply too slow, and the mace lands a solid blow as the hobgoblin passes the centaur.

Spoiler
    Show

OUCH!
    Damage: 9-2DR=7*1(cr)=7 HP lost. No major wound, but sheesh!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Wait Cedric!" Ementha calls out. She then begins waving her arm in a wide gesture, trying to draw in what little mana there is in the area. Her bracelets clatter against each other as she speaks in a loud voice words of arcane significance.

(Cast Might on Cedric to give him 2 Strength. Skill 13-5=8)
    Spoiler
    Show

Might - (3d6)[8]

I tried to update the map with Ementha's movement.

In the unlikely event that the spell succeeds, I'll update my post with the effects for Devereux's benefit. Well, cool, that looks like a success to me. I'll go ahead and edit those in.

Might - Raises the subject's strength temporarily (in this case by 2 points). This affects damage, encumberance, and hit points, but does not heal wounds. If when the spell wears off, the subject's wounds put him below -HT, he will have to make a HT roll to live. This will last for a minute unless Ementha decides to extend it's duration.

Ementha should take 4 fatigue when the spell goes off at the end of next round.

Let me know if you want any other changes made, UP.

Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-04-04 at 03:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Third turn - Hobgoblin 3

Somewhat the worse for wear, but still conscious, the hobgoblin pulls himself onto his knees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Change Posture manoeuvre
    lying down to kneeling

---

Third turn - Hobgoblin 4

Cautiously side-stepping, the hobgoblin swings at Muelennah's left arm as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack manoeuvre
    side-step right
    swing at left arm
    *clatter*
    success
    *clatter*
    potential 4 point crushing damage

---

Map updated.

---

OOC: Next up Hobgoblin 5, after Muelennah's defence.

---

30. - Top - End - #450
    Dwarf in the Playground

Muelennah sees the mace swinging towards his arm and he avoid the blow by backing up the hill.

Spoiler
    Show

Any DX rolls to maintain footing when backing up the hill?

Retreating dodge
    Dodge (8+3retreat, effective 11): (3d6)[8]
    Last edited by yufra; 2010-04-04 at 03:17 PM.