New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Gillian the Bronze looks up at the sky nervously. Perhaps he is judging the weather or estimating the hour of day. Whatever it is, he merely fidgets silently.

"Well, friend?" Tring says in his gravelly voice. "Cedric here may talk an awful lot, but he does occasionally speak sense," he smiles. "You know who we are, but we don't know you..."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha sits peeking out of the wagon. Listening to what is transpiring outside, but not commenting until the issue of the strangers name comes up. "Seems to me that it'll be something of a mouthful, if he's this reluctant to give it," she muses quietly as much to herself as to anyone else still sitting on the wagon.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I'm Franciszek Twardowski. And I'll be glad to accompany you if you too are heading for the tower. Thanks for the invitation.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It's nice to make your acquaintance, Franciszek."

"Perhaps later we can exchange a bit of 'magic' if you will. You can show some of the real stuff, and I'll show you a few tricks I've learned myself over the years. I know quite a few good ones really. There's this one where I turn a gold coin into a handful of flowers, or a hunk of bread, or just disappear out of my hand. Of course, I'll have to ask the audience to supply the gold coin." He adds, with a wink.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

"That's an unusual name," says Gillian. "You're not a Caithnesser, Franciszek. From your accent I'd guess you were Megalan."

Tring speaks. "Well Fra-, Fran-," he pauses. "Frank-"

"Franciszek." Gillian corrects quietly.

"Well." Tring looks at his boss but says nothing. "Well, Friend," he turns back to Franciszek. "You'd better get in the back if you're coming. Gillian the Bronze is anxious to get moving again."
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-22 at 08:20 AM.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek sighs. His name always provoked such reactions. He gets into the wagon and responds to Cedric: I'll be happy to compare notes about magic. Those parts are notoriously lacking in mages.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric eyes go wide with interest.

Megalos?! I’ve met a few travelers who have been there before but never had the opportunity to actually have a convseration with anyone born and raised there.

He looks towards Ementha and appears conflicted, but before long it is clear that Cedric’s fascination with having his fortune read is temporarily displaced by meeting the newcomer from an exotic land. He looses a bit of his earlier composure.

I’ve heard so much and have so many questions. I hear there are quite a few goblins there and that sometimes humans even have goblin names, Franciszek doesn’t sound very goblin-like though does it, do you know any goblins, I think goblins are so fascinating, I mean the race as a whole really has reacted and adjusted in so many different ways to the human influx here don’t you think, where exactly are you from, I’d like to visit some day, where would you recommend I go when I finally get there, I hear everything looks so different there…

Cedric continues to prattle without pause for breath as they clamber into the back of the wagon together.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-22 at 01:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek would perhaps answer, but as one question comes after another, he simply climbs onto the wagon.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing that Fr... Fran... Frankie, she resolved to call him, wasn't being too forthcoming with answers Ementha decided to answer for him. "Oh, Megalos ain't so different really. Different names, but people are mostly the same wherever you go. Goblins are pretty much the same too, a little quicker and a little greener is all."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

"True enough miss," agrees Gillian. "The few goblins I've met seemed decent enough. But I've heard tell of bad-uns that weren't Christians. And of course, not all are as broad-minded as you or Cedric; there's some in these parts as don't like Megalans much at all, whatever their colour."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric’s eyes appear to come back into focus.

"Thank you Ementha, and Fr... Fraanc...Franciszek?" He repeats, attempting to commit the name to memory.

"Thank you for humoring this man's small obsession with other cultures. I don't understand why everybody doesn't find distant lands and peoples as fascinating as I do. I'm sure they would, if they gave it an opportunity." He pauses breifly. " I'm sure I'll have more questions during our trip together, but I'll try not to spout them out all at once next time."

He turns to face Ementha, "Don't think you'll get away without telling me my fortune! We will have plenty of time for that."

Then, he overtly winks at Franciszek, as one tradesman to another might. "Ementha, what's this behind your ear?" he says, and feinging a surprised look, he peers at her right ear, and then reaches towards it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight-of-Hand (9)
    (3d6)[10]

Cedric then produces a small coin from behind Ementha's ear, which he had obviously attempted to hide in his palm just seconds before, clearly seen by all present. Nonetheless, he seems pleased with himself and looks at his audience expectantly.

"Well Franciszek, I'm afraid that's about all the magic I know. I'd still be happy to learn more about yours sometime but I'm afraid I only have knack for parlor tricks."
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-24 at 10:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha does her best to feint surprise at Cedric's trick. She then gives him a warm smile. She reaches behind her ear, and digs around in her hair for a moment. "Darn, I was hoping maybe I could find more back there," she says.

She says a few soft words, centering herself and after a quick gesture points at the coin that laid in Cedric's hand. She appears to concentrate for a moment, then shrugs her shoulders. "Oh well," she says with a quiet sigh.

(Attempting two rolls, Acting and Apportation. Acting is defaulted to IQ-5 (8)but gets +1 for each point that Em is more intelligent than Cedric. So total there should be skill 10, as far as I can tell. Also, she is casting Apportation, skill 13 (-5 for low mana) skill 8.)

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Acting (skill 10)]3d6[/roll]
    [roll=Apportation (skill 8)]3d6[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2009-11-24 at 06:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric laughs at Ementha's joke, looks sheepish, smiles, and says, "Ah well, it was worth a shot. I've been working on that for years, and even Gill's horses still see right through it."

He watches Ementha's quiet chanting seriously and is a little sad when nothing happens. He briefly puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder before sitting and making himself a little more comfortable.

"Now, young miss, on to the real show. I'm really looking forward to it."
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-25 at 12:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Ah, yes, we can begin." She rubs her hands together and the many bracelets she wears jingle and jangle against each other.

Her eyes cast about from side to side before finally meeting Cedric's. "You," she accentuates the word by jabbing a finger in his direction, "are a man of contradictions. You love the road and the excitement of travel, yet a measure of your soul wishes to know a home. Perhaps settle down somewhere someday. Still that will be a distance in the future, I believe. For the time being you are happy to continue to explore the world."

She points a finger dramatically out of the wagon, where a bird is flying past. "That bird represents your free spirit, soaring in the sky, but still eventually looking for a nest." Just then, the bird did a quick wingover maneuver, and appeared to be doing aerial acrobatics in midflight, probably in chase of a flying insect. "Ah, but see now how it's path changes. Yours will soon do the same." She closes her eyes for a moment as if deep in thought before continuing. "Yes, I think things will definitely become more interesting for us in the near future. Both more interesting and more difficult. Your life may even come into danger. Oh, but see how more birds are now being flushed out of the bush, there will be others to help you through the difficulties. Either way, I foresee you enjoying your travels despite the trouble you may face. You will rise to the challenge and soar, just as the bird."

Fortune-telling (Skill 15)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[16]

Edit: Wouldn't you just know it. I don't think the dice like me today.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2009-11-25 at 01:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric sits and stares at Ementha for a moment quietly, looking a little awestruck.

"Thank you," he says seriously. "It's as if you can see straight into my life, and can read these past years as if you were watching them unfold in front of your eyes. I wonder who these little birds in the bush are. I wonder if they are the two of you. I hope so. Maybe it all has to do with the wizards' tower."

Cedric then stares out the back of the wagon, and looks lost in thought.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek settles himself in the wagon, restraining himself from rolling his eyes. He never really believed in fortune-telling. It certainly wasn't proper magic.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Some time later...

"We're almost there," says Cedric. "Not long now."

Not long afterwards, a bend in the track brings the wagon out of the shadow of a nearby hill. In the distance, beyond the next low rise can be seen the pointed red roof of a tower. As the wagon trundles towards the stone building, it can be seen that it is indeed white, as some have described. However, the paint looks to be missing in places, revealing the stonework underneath. When you get nearer, it can be seen that the tower is four or five stories tall, and encircled by a wooden wall about 6 feet in height. There is an open gate in the wall ahead; the track the wagon follows is heading directly to this gate. Inside the wall the rooves of smaller buildings can be seen.

As you approach the gate, you can see a pedestrian following the wall and also, it would seem, heading for the same gate. This person appears to be a young man, who is walking with a staff.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

@Eniarch

As you circumnavigate the wooden wall, you spot a wagon coming along a track leading towards the very opening you seek.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch trudges along the exterior of the palisade, a look of grim determination on his face. He is a young man, perhaps 20 years of age and of moderate height, but his face and hands seem more than a little thin. He wears a slightly worn brown cloak draped over a dark green vest, white shirt and brown pants. His brown hair hangs long, as though it's been a while since it's known the attentions of a barber, and his simple leather shoes carry their fair share of dust.

First the bees... His lips tighten momentarily as the sound of the approaching wagon becomes audible. ...and now, people. Eniarch casts a quick glance in the direction of the wagon and its occupants, and then looks back to the gate ahead as he trudges onward. I suppose I should have expected it would not be as simple as merely meeting the wizard.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

@Eniarch

"Hello there, stranger," the wagon driver calls out, seemingly to you. "Judging by your appearance young man, I'd say you are a spell-caster travelled many miles to see the wizard.

"Am I right?" He asks with a smile as the wagon draws up next to you. His companion sitting next him,a guard by the looks of him, stays silent. He's probably asleep.

The wagon is pulled by two horses. The area behind the driver and his companion is covered by a cloth roof which obscures whatever (or whomever) may be in the back.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-26 at 10:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still a little lost in thought, Cedric heard Gillian call out to someone outside of the wagon.

Cedric casts Ementha and Franciszek quick glances, then thinks to himself, "Another little bird, perhaps..."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

There's a noticable pause after the question, before Eniarch realizes the driver has, indeed, stopped to chat with him. Of course. Eniarch looks at the ground, the wagon, seemingly anywhere but at the man speaking to him directly. "I would not be inclined to contradict your assumptions. I found..." Eniarch reaches inside his cloak and a thin hand emerges with a rolled piece of parchment. "...this some days ago, and decided to make an inquiry of my own." Cradling his staff in the crook of one arm, he unfurls the rolled notice so the driver can read it.

-------------------------------------------------
    MAGES WANTED

Have you powerful magical talent?

If so, enquire at the White Tower in Fordham.

By order of Lord Berd.
    -------------------------------------------------

"From your question and the color of the tower, my directions at the last village were accurate, and I have apparently come to the right place." Eniarch swiftly rolls the notice back up, and replaces it inside the cloak. Now, to redirect him towards something other than why I am here. Taking his staff once more in hand, he motions towards the wagon with it. "Judging by your appearance, sir, you are bringing goods of some sort to the tower. Am I right?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

"You have found the right place," answers the driver. "Although I've not seen a notice like that before. Lord Berd, eh? That's interesting. And you another Megalan by the sounds of it. Hmm...

"Oh, yes. I do bring goods young man, in answer to your question. But not only goods, though I didn't know it would be so this morning. Sadly, I have not the prescience that my question might have implied - my guess as to your nature was merely down to prior experience. You see, under that cover I have two more of your kind. Peers of yours, perhaps.

"I would wager that you haven't collected all of those notices, eh?"
    He adds with a smile.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

At the mention of being Megalan, Eniarch draws himself up a bit. Another Caithnesser to disdain me for my origins, then? Shaking his head slightly, he continues with the obvious. "Spellcaster though I be, collecting every notice of this sort would require a mage far more adept than I, and although you've entered the business of collecting mages unexpectedly, it would seem none of them were up to the task either." He pats the rolled notice inside the cloak. With his free hand, he motions towards the tower and surrounding buildings and palisade. "As you so rightly note, I am newly come to the area. Anything in particular I should know about this tower?"
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-26 at 11:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

"Not really sure what I can tell you," he smiles in response. "I don't usually deal with the wizard directly. In fact I'm surprised there's no-one at the gate to meet us. Tring wake up," he nudges his companion. "Has everyone in the back fallen asleep as well?

"Might as well go in," he says, turning back to Eniarch. He then makes a noise for the benefit of the horses, and drives the wagon through the open gate.

"Hello? We're here!" He shouts, almost as much for the benefit of those in the back as for the tower staff. "It's Gillian! Anyone there?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Usually someone at the gate, but not today? Odd, but at least it's one less person to deal with. Eniarch slips through the open gate and into the palisade, pulling his hood up as he follows the wagon into the compound. Maybe there is a silver lining here after all...

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric sits up and stretches and twists a little, attempting to loosen his stiff body. "Each year it gets a little more difficult," he mutters.

He hunts around for his sword and buckler for a moment, then peers around at him companions and then out the back. Seeing a hooded pedestrian trailing behind, he waves in a friendly fashion.

Hello, little bird, he thinks to himself.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-26 at 05:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

@Ementha

Spoiler
    Show
    Shortly after the wagon moves through the gateway and into the yard, Ementha perceives a change in ambient magical energy that indicates a higher local mana level here (Caithness is mostly Low Mana).

@Franciszek

Spoiler
    Show
    Shortly after the wagon moves through the gateway and into the yard, Franciszek perceives a change in ambient magical energy that indicates a higher local mana level here (Caithness is mostly Low Mana). Specifically, Franciszek is able to sense that the energy level is Normal Mana, like home (most of Megalos is Normal Mana).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The hooded man makes a sort of salute, inclining the tip of his staff toward his forehead as though to touch it, but he makes no verbal reply. His green eyes are roaming over the interior of the compound, taking in what details as he can make out.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha's head perks up slightly as they enter the gates. "Hm," she mutters quietly. She unfolds her legs and begins plucking up her belongings, which she had set down next to her in the wagon. "Well, I guess we're here," she says while moving toward the exit to the wagon. As soon as it comes to a halt inside the gates, she hops out. "Thank you much for the ride. Now, to figure out what I'm doing here..."

She takes a moment to survey the area around her.