New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

@Eniarch and Ementha

Spoiler
    Show
    The area inside the wooden wall is a circular space approx 200 yards in diameter. The tower is in the centre of the yard. The stone building is five storeys tall and roughly 25 yards square. There are three smaller wooden buildings in the yard.

You spot a man in leather picking himself up off the floor by the gate, where he seems to have been resting against one of the open doors. He bends down to pick up a spear and puts a helm on his head.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

"Tring, Cedric," says Gillian. "Help me unload the boxes."
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last call for alcohol, in a manner of speaking... thinks Cedric, wistfully.

"As much as I'd wanted to savor my last employed moments of a glamorous country-wide tour seeing the sights, somehow I knew it would end with unloading boxes," he says to Tring companionably. "How much longer will you and Gill be traveling about after this route is completed? What's next? Maybe Gill will give me a lift back home when we're done here, hope he doesn't charge much," he adds with a chuckle.

Cedric looks at the traveling mages briefly, gives a short wave to their turned backs; and as he begins to unload the merchandise, he starts humming a popular tavern song to himself.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-26 at 08:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek leaves the wagon, the higher mana level already improving his mood a little bit. Travelling through those low-magic areas was tedious.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

"Hello there," says a man walking out from the tower. He looks to be in his mid twenties and is cleanly dressed. "Gillian yes," he says as the merchant puts down the last box and comes to meet him. "Everything in order?"

"Yes John," Gillian nods. "It's all there."

Another person, clad in leather armour and helm, runs over from the gate. He puts down his spear and silently picks up one of the boxes. He hurriedly carries it off to the tower while seeming to avoid the glare in John's face. Tring takes the next box and follows the other man.

John hands a small bag or pouch to Gillian, which is accepted without being checked. "And who are these others?" John turns to look at everyone else. "You're clearly not all employees of the merchant. Who are you?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

@Rann

Spoiler
    Show
    Riding up to the tower, you see that the gate in the wooden wall is open. As you approach, you can spot a wagon and about half a dozen people. Some of the people seem to be loading or unloading boxes while the rest are perhaps in conversation.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha marches straight up to the man, extending her hand. "I'm Ementha, pleased to meet ya. And from the sounds of things, you are John. And and he's Fr... a wizard here about your posting." She gestures to Franciszek. "Oh, and this is another. I'm sorry I don't think I caught your name," she says, looking at Eniarch. "Anyway, he seems to be here about the posting too. I didn't see any posting, myself, but if you are in need of wizards, I have a little skill that I might be able to offer. That's most likely why I'm here anyway, I would guess."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek sighs. It's Franciszek. Franciszek Twardowski. And I am indeed here regarding the posting.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

John accepts Ementha's hand with slight hesitation. "Yes. Enchanted miss, yes. Miss Ementha." He turns to the others. "Franciszek. About the posting, yes. And you too, yes?" John looks at Eniarch.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch nods at the man asking the question. "I am Eniarch of Arvey." He reaches into the travelworn cloak again, producing the rolled notice. "I have indeed come to inquire further."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmmm. I believe that was intended to stay affixed to the tree, yes?" John holds out his hand to receive the notice. "Very good. Now," the young man pulls a small book and appears to check something in it. "Three mages, yes. Eniarch of Arvey, Franciszek Twardowski and miss Ementha," he says, turning to smile at the young woman. "Who came without seeing any notice. Now that is interesting..."

John watches as Tring, Gillian and the other man carry the last of the boxes into the tower. He then takes in the large man standing there, as if for the first time. "You," he says to Cedric. "Do not look like a wizard. Perhaps you are," he consults his book again. "Rann, yes? Rann of the Clearscales?

"No?"
    John sees the lack of recognition in Cedric's face. "Pity. Yes, that is a pity. Well then, who are you?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not a wizard, huh thinks Cedric, momentarily debating confusing matters further by magically pulling another coin from behind the man's ear. Allakazam! he briefly fantasizes the astonishment on the mans face as the coin would seemingly sprout from his ear.

He reconsiders.

He sucks in his belly somewhat self-consciously, attempts to appear more muscular, and says, "My name is Cedric, Brewman of Carrick. I work with, and for, my friends Tring and Gillian, making sure no ill befalls them on the road. And," he adds seriously, "entertaining them with fine music, sleight-of-hand, and delectable food."

He leaves out the part where this is his last job working for Gill.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-11-28 at 11:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Riding up to the group tending to their wagon, Rann pulls up to the group and waits for a lull in conversation

"Excuse me - would you know if this is the tower of Blake? I've received a request for my presence"
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

John listens to what Cedric has to say, but doesn't immediately respond. When he sees a new person ride through the gates, he turns to look at the stranger.

"Yes, this is the White Tower of the Archmage Blake," he answers Rann. "And who might you be?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Where are my manners... I am Rann of the Clearscales family. And your name sir?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

"Welcome, Rann," smiles the neatly-dressed man. "I am John, yes. We have been hoping you would come. The archmage would like to hire your services.

"We also require talented mages, yes,"
    John looks back at the others. "However, there is a political issue. Lord Berd distrusts Megalans as a rule, which is not without just cause, considering the history of border disputes."

Addressing Eniarch, he says: "Your name and accent make your nationality plain." John then faces Franciszek. "I would guess that you are Megalan as well, yes. Talented wizards are hard to come by, so necessity is to some extent as important as political sensitivities. Nevertheless, I must ask you both if you are patriots, yes?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch looks slightly uncomfortable to be put on the spot as he shakes his head slightly and breaks eye contact to look at his feet. So, all unspoken, we must trust all of those here assembled not to be agents of the Emperor?

He manages to look even more uncomfortable as that line of thought reaches its conclusion. This sounds like it may be a very treacherous foundation indeed. He sighs softly, and then makes his own question rhetorical by answering anyway, while looking intently at his own feet. "I have no special love for the Emperor, but your question is rather... direct."

...and if we've an agent of Diophrates among us, then the die is now cast.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-30 at 10:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

"Forgive me, yes," replies John. "There is no plot here against the Emperor specifically, or against the empire in general. It is merely that sharing a border with Megalos has made this lording the subject of attacks in the past. You must realise that the prior invasion attempts by Megalos have shaped Lord Berd's attitude, not idle prejudice or fancy.

"That was the reason for my asking, yes. I trust you will understand that it is not personal? But if you feel you may have a conflict of loyalties then I would rather know now. Before it is too late, yes?"

John looks at the others, both to hear what Franciszek's reply will be and to see if anyone else will speak.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

As long as you don't make me commit high treason, I won't wave a Megalan flag around. Franciszek shrugs. I don't agree with everything Emperor does.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

"Good good," John says. "Then I trust that is settled. Necessity means that we cannot exclude potential mages simply due to where they were born. But I had to ask, yes.

"As you three could no doubt tell when you came through the gate, the magical energies here are stronger than most of the country. Caithness is a hard place for spell-casters generally, yes. What magical skills do you possess?" He looks between the three as he awaits the replies.

@Eniarch
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eniarch unfortunately did not notice the change when he entered. If he wanted to specifically detect it, he could cross the threshold and try again.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose a direct response diserves direct questions in return... What has Blake summoned us for? May i presume we've all been summoned for the same purpose?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

"Not exactly, yes," he turns to Rann. "The archmage requires person capable of recovering an artefact for him. You sir have been specifically summoned. Mages however are not that common, so general advertisements were posted. And now we have three to choose from." John then looks back at the spell-casters in anticipation of responses to his previous question.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Higher here than otherwise? Interesting. It has been some time since I've cast without a strain. Eniarch raises his head to look at John directly. "My apprenticeship has been spent learning the spells of light and shadow. Opposite sides of the same coin, so to speak."

He stands straight, pride at his accomplishments as a mage's apprentice overcoming his distaste of being in the spotlight. "I can light a room or drown it in darkness, sense my foes in the dark and smite them with the light of the sun itself. My spells can heal wounds, diseases and envenomation. I can drive off men, spirits or the walking dead."

He pauses for a moment, and then continues. "I can open a lock without tools or keys, manipulate objects at a distance, analyze a spell, or deflect missiles in flight. I can appear to be anyone, and when properly prepared, I can disappear from the center of a vacant plaza under the noon sun on a cloudless day while watched by a dozen men."

"I do not fully understand the purpose of your question, I confess. The specific energies I can control are not as important as what I might accomplish with them. They are merely tools, not solutions." Realizing how forthright he sounds, he once again looks down at his feet, embarrassed at having been so outspoken.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek straightens up as the meeting starts being professional.
    I know a number of spells related to earth and air, as well as a number of basic ones.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha twirls her hair between her fingers as she speaks. "Primarily I know magic capable of healing the body of wounds, but I also know some magics that deal with the mind as well." She blushes slightly, but continues to speak a little faster. "Some spells dealing with light, others with moving things around, and, oh, a handful of different things. I guess one could say that I know a smattering of magics; a little of this, a little of that. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as talented as these other gentlemen are."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well," says John. "I will require some proof of your capabilities, yes. Archmage Blake wishes to hire persons to recover an artefact which is believed to be somewhere in the eastern borderlands region. If you can find, identify and return with the object, you will be rewarded with 15 Gold Marks."

Spoiler
    Show
    I should put a currency guide in the OOC thread for reference, but I'll say here that 15 Gold Marks = $3000 in starting money.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric, who has been watching with curiosity up until now, goes somewhat slackjawed at the mention of the reward.

That would go a long way towards buying an inn of my own. Or at least get a lot of exotic brewing ingredients... I wonder if they have to divide up the reward or if it's 15 marks apiece..., he muses to himself
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-12-03 at 07:44 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

15 marks! It would take an age to earn that much for Tessa while running errands for Claudius, and he did say he wanted me to learn as much as possible...

Eniarch glances at the others, and then turns back to John. "You've offered us precious little detail about this artifact you're seeking. Surely you know more than these vaguest of rumors." He gestures once again, indicating the others assembled. "Your information in our hands could easily make the difference between success and failure. Tell us what you know about this artifact that you seek, and you make a successful conclusion for your master's request far more likely."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek's eyes gleam at the promise of 15 marks, but Eniarch's suspiciousness affects him.
    Indeed. More information would certainly be welcome. Although I can prove my magic skill at once, if you want.
    Franciszek raises his hands slightly.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

John responds to Eniarch's comments. "Yes, a little more is known," he says. "But I would be a bad servant, were I to tell all to every stranger. And with little in the way of assurance of either your capability or your sincerity in handling the task, yes?"

To Franciszek, John says "Indeed, yes. Proof would be good." He looks at everyone. "Please wait here. I will return shortly."

As John walks to the tower, Cedric and Tring come back to the caravan. The man in leather armour also returns, silently retrieves his spear and then walks out the gate.