New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

@Franciszek

Spoiler
    Show
    As you didn't state which staff you were casting the spell on, I will assume the first (left-hand) one.

The spell confirms what your sight tells you, that the left-hand staff is not magical.

(If you also want to check the other staves, you can certainly cast the spell twice more.)

---

@Ementha

John smiles in response to your teasing, and then nods in response to your question.

He listens and then says "Very good, miss Ementha. Your answer is correct. And it seems you are perceptive to more than just what you see with your eyes, yes." He nods. "Indeed, there are more charlatans than sorcerers in Caithness. So the test, although simple it may seem to one of your undoubted skill," he pauses to smile again. "Is a necessary one, yes."

"Thank you miss Ementha, you have passed. And it now seems that Eniarch is finished, so I will speak with him next."

---

@Eniarch

John finishes speaking with Ementha and signals that he is ready to hear your answer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles broadly. "I'm sure there are," she says. "The area outside these walls is not to hospitable to those with talent in the arts."

She walks back to where the other wizards are standing, tapping Eniarch on the shoulder as she passes. "You're up," she says and jerks her thumb over her shoulder, back toward John. Em then sits down in the grass near the three staves in a rather unlady-like cross-legged fashion. However, her long skirt still covers most of her legs and the parts that it doesn't show only the leather pants she wears underneath. She lets out a contented sigh and leans back on the palms of her hands.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2009-12-11 at 06:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek casts the spell twice more to check the other two staves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[12]
    (3d6)[8]
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch nods at Ementha as she passes and informs him his turn has come, and heads over to meet with John.

"My cursory study of your items suggests that there may be no obviously wrong answer to your question, although I would need tools to verify it more accurately. However, only two of the staves appear to sport an enchantment, which is likely the difference most relevant to your long term concerns. The longer staff with the dark wood appears to be without enchantment of any sort."

Spoiler
    Show
    And now that I'm thinking about it, it should only have cost 4 FP to cast the four Detect Magic spells. Normal mana level means the spells are at an effective skill of 15, and therefore have a 1pt FP cost reduction, dropping the cost to 1 per cast. Sorry!
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-12-12 at 12:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

@Franciszek
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your second and third castings of Detect Magic certainly seem to agree with what you can see - both the central and right-hand staves are magical.

---

@Eniarch

"Indeed, yes," answers John. "You have passed the test, Eniarch." He looks past you to where Franciszek has finished casting. "I wonder if your countryman is ready now..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by NamelessArchon View Post
    And now that I'm thinking about it, it should only have cost 4 FP to cast the four Detect Magic spells. Normal mana level means the spells are at an effective skill of 15, and therefore have a 1pt FP cost reduction, dropping the cost to 1 per cast. Sorry!
    No problem - I missed that too! It's hardly critical in this situation either way, but it's useful to be reminded of it for the future when it could matter more (Morty's PC will also benefit from the same circumstances as well).
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I have concluded without a shade of doubt that this staff - he points at the left one - isn't magical, while the other two are.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well," says John. "All three of you have proved that you are real mages, yes. The question remains as to which of you want the task. And this also goes for mister Rann, yes.

"The reward, as I said before, will be 15 Marks, yes. If you are all happy to work together, then more mages may make the task easier. This would mean dividing the money further, of course. As the borderlands are wild territory, you may also want to consider hiring some muscle for protection. I would recommend this, yes. Mercenaries could probably be hired in town at the Armsmen's Guild.

"So, who is sincere in wanting the task?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha uses her staff to pull herself back up to standing. "The fates sent me here for a reason. I think this task wants me. If others wish to come along as well, I'm more than willing to share the prize."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Rann, who has been sitting by after tying up his horse, ponders for a second

"well - after seeing this little display i'd be happy to see more of these gentlemens talents. And it would be a shame to travel this far only to not take up the task. Lets see what your employer has in store for us"
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch's hooded gaze turns to John. "You have asked us questions, and you have tested our ability, and we have complied. However, you still have not told us what this task actually is." He leans on his staff, holding it with both hands. "Perhaps we could begin to discuss those details now that we have proven our interest is sincere?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

@Eniarch
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is about 100 miles east of here, where the mana level changes. It is a mostly uninhabited region, apparently due to conflicts and the fact that the land is not good for growing crops.

@Rann
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that the eastern border is between Caithness and Megalos. You have no solid concept of the distance, but as Fordham is one of the easternmost lordings of Caithness, the nearby town is going to be the last sizeable settlement.

@Franciszek
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is around 100 miles east of here, where the mana level changes. The region seems to be largely uninhabited.

@Ementha
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is where the mana level changes. You'd guess that is somewhere due east of here, about 3 or 4 days on foot. Other than the town of Fordham nearby, there probably won't any sizeable settlements between here and there.

@Cedric
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know that the eastern border is between Caithness and Megalos, but you have no real idea how far away that is.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

"Well," John looks at Eniarch. "I have not heard affirmations of every mage's sincerity, or even much words at all. But I suppose this is the best I hope to receive from foreigners, yes. Nevertheless, there is no need to share unnecessary details with everyone present." He turns and walks over to Gillian the Bronze.

"Gillian," says John. "Thank you for your delivery. You have been paid, so I should not want to keep you any longer."

"Right," replies the merchant. "We were just going. If I may say though, John, I couldn't help overhearing your mentioning to those four that they should hire a mercenary or two." Gillian gives Cedric a nudge, then continues before John can respond. "Cedric here is very good. Worked for me for ages. Very reliable. Just so happens I'm having to let him go. Less road trade. Too dangerous. Because of the civil war. Anyway, Cedric comes highly recommended. Isn't that so, Tring?"

John looks Cedric's large frame up and down as Gillian talks. "Yes?" he asks when the merchant finally pauses for breath.

"Huh?" grunts Tring as he climbs onto the wagon. "Oh, yes. Solid man, Cedric. Talks too much. Even more than the boss. But can definitely look after himself." He nods with a smile.

"That certainly is convenient, yes," says John. "Although, whatever security arrangements Rann and the mages wish to make is up to them. But I do recommend they hire some protection, yes."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks a little surprised but hardly misses a beat.

"Well certainly, your grace, they should be free to hire whatever additional support they need," he says, graciously, "and I would certainly be up for a little travel and adventure."

Cedric sizes up John carefully.

"If I may, it seems to me that you might be in a bit a spot, and I would hate to take away from the reward that you've offered to split amongst them."

He looks towards everyone else in hopes gaining a little sympathy and support for this last sentiment.

"From my perspective, it seems that once you've evenly split the reward, you're in essence offering each of these fine folks here a few weeks of pay to recompense them their traveling time to get here, trapsing around a wild, dangerous countryside for who knows how long, and then returning home, IF they should live. All to recover a magical artefact. Recover. That means to me, someone took it or it is in some inherently dangerous location. Additionally, you're then recommending that three mages and one well trained lordling hire even more help using that same little bag of money, which I imagine you will not be giving out in advance to help defray the costs."

It is clear that Cedric has had a little practice with haggling.

"Finally, considering you've offered the job to these fine 3 magic practictioners, you must either have rejected prior applicants, or are under a little pressure to get this handled quickly. Perhaps you could sweeten the deal a bit. Perhaps a daily travel allowance. Perhaps a small purse for hiring protection, separate from the reward."

Spoiler
    Show
    let me know if I need to roll merchant here ;)
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-12-15 at 12:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    merchant: (3d6)[12]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

"Humph!" John looks more cross than impressed by Cedric's spiel. "That other man was right," he says indicating the wagon. "You do talk too much, yes. I am not hiring you; I am hiring them," he indicates the other PCs with a sweeping gesture. "If they wish to hire you, that is their own affair, yes. But you need not presume to speak on their behalf." John turns and walks back to the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even counting Cedric's Charisma bonus into the equation was not enough to swing the balance. It appears you've made things worse, sorry.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric folds his arms defiantly momentarily and mutters inaudibly, talks to much, hmm, I think it was a reasonble argument.

"Wait, your grace!" call Cedric as he catches up to John's retreating
    form. "I meant no offense here, I wasn't suggesting an expense account for a paid bed warmer," he says as a jest.

Toning and quieting down his voice a little he adds, "I was merely worried about the welfare and protection of these...er... fine, um, imported goods. Especially the lovely young miss there, of whom I think of as a sister of sorts already."

"I was positive you wouldn't mind seeing the young miss smile a bit more. I can see the smile already forming in my mind, when she returns safely here to you and finds you to be generous with the pursestrings. Perhaps I was wrong?" he adds with a wink, teasingly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok yes this is a blatant attempt to carouse and tease John a bit, at least to smooth things over a little. Let me know if John even lets Cedric get the first sentence out or just gets shut down
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-12-15 at 05:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

"Shut up!" John snaps at Cedric. "Yes. Or go away."

Spoiler
    Show
    Carousing was the wrong skill to use with someone who's already decided they don't like particularly like your previous attempt at coercion. Especially so when you're not even in an alehouse (or party etc) and plying them with drinks to try and soften them up first.

Please stop digging
    Best to let one of the other PCs have a go.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abashed, Cedric stands there open-mouthed.

Then, he briefly and defiantly folds his arms, looking cross.

Then, his spirits return. Nontheless, he deliberately gives John his best arrow-through-the-heart wounded look, and dramatically skulks off towards the wagon to bid Gill and Tring farewell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just doing my best at being Cedric. ;) He doesn't understand why what works in the tavern might not work as well in the outside world

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Oh, that went... poorly. Eniarch coughs nervously, clearing his throat. He takes a deep breath before stepping forward. He'll have to do better - even with good weather, travel would take quite a bit of time.

"Come, come, don't let the man spoil the mood," says Eniarch. He waves a hand at Cedric's departing back as if dismissing him, and walks around the assembled group with his staff in one hand, looking at the others assembled before stopping to John's right, his eyes glancing at each of the applicants in turn. "You have an item you wish located and returned, and you have money to offer for its delivery." He smiles slightly, trying to ease the mood as he comes to the point. "We are interested."

He looks forlorn for a moment, and indicates the other mages and Rann. "However, you ask us to take a great deal on faith after a long journey made at our personal expense. Your task will surely mean some difficult traveling in wilderness country, as it's at least a hundred miles to the border even as the crow flies! Supplies and provisions for the lengthy journey! Mercenary aid you yourself recommend we not travel without - that surely indicates danger to our persons and property!"

He looks down for a moment, clears his throat again, and then continues in a softer tone. "I had always heard that Caithnessers were far more generous to the kine that tread the grain than the grasping, tightfisted power seekers among my own country's nobility." He looks down again, apparently slightly uncomfortable with the notion that this might not be true after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! You can make a better offer than that, John! Come on!

(3d6)[8]
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-12-15 at 10:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

As Cedric sulks past her, Ementha whispers to him. "Do not fly far, little bird. I believe your destiny still lies down this path."

She then approaches John and Eniarch. "Do you really think it will be dangerous? Not that I'm afraid, mind you. The roads are dangerous enough nowadays, and I still travel them by myself. But if we're going on a trip dangerous we need to hire guards, oh my! I just hope we can find the protection from mercenaries to come back alive."

Spoiler
    Show
    I just can't see Ementha asking for more money for this. She's already struggling wealth so this seems like a lot to her. Plus, she isn't really too focused on her own material gains anyway.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

@Cedric

Gillian and Tring say their farewells and the wagon exits through the gates. Gill is driving at a gentle pace and so it should be easy enough to catch up with the wagon, should you have to.

@Eniarch

John seems slightly soothed by your words, although perhaps not convinced by your argument. "Well, the border is only a few days away, yes. Perhaps a week, if you walked slowly or carried much. Looking at you, master Eniarch, I would say that you like to travel light and could cover the distance in a couple of days if you chose, yes. This would be less than a month's work for you, perhaps much less. Furthermore, your clothes and cloak imply that you do not usually get paid the amount that we are offering, for less than a month's work, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show
    8 was a decent roll, but the margin of success wasn't enough in this case.

@Ementha

John turns to reply to your question. "I would not like to travel the borderlands alone myself, yes. But perhaps I am being overly cautious," he smiles. "After all, these Megalan mages probably walked across the border themselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    I totally understand. RPing appropriately generally trumps minor OOC concerns

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch draws himself up somewhat, perhaps offended at the mention of his travelworn clothing and cloak. "I am traveling light, but your assessment of the price I demand is based on your appraisal of my personal material comforts, which are rather less a priority to me than some other matters that require my monetary diligence. The time and services of mages do not generally come so cheaply, or your own master would have settled this matter himself before now."

He purses his lips thoughtfully, tapping a single finger against them as if in thought while looking at the others of the group. "It is unlikely we will see civilization or a place to find supplies in the borderlands, so a destination a week away means two weeks from the nearest settlements of note, carrying everything we need on our own backs. Finding your artifact a second time would be most.. difficult, were we to starve in the wilds after we had already braved its resting place to retrieve it."

He lowers his head and places a free hand on his chest. "While I may personally be acclimated to an existence somewhat bereft of material concerns," he continues, looking up once more, "...certainly it would be inappropriate to force these others through such.. privation. Indeed, it would even be slightly," Eniarch's glance flickers to Ementha for a moment and then back to John with a raised eyebrow, "ungallant to ask they endure such things without some additional measure of allowance for their needs while making the trip."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pushing our luck with Diplomacy - because starving mages make poor delivery men!

(3d6)[12]

From Eniarch's standpoint, 3 marks a piece is certainly in keeping with his standard of living for a short task, but he'd be remiss if he didn't seek the chance to talk the reward up a bit - Tessa needs the money even if Eniarch is happy with it.

Without an advance of some kind, however, he might be forced to eat the other party members to survive two weeks outside the city. That would be bad.

I'd assumed he'd worked his way to Fordham (at least in part) by tending to the medical needs of folks in holdcrofts and smaller settlements not on the map in exchange for food and a hayloft to bed down - possibly even doing a bit of unskilled labor along the way as well. That's not likely to carry him into wilderness areas where there aren't people, and 'long pig' isn't high on his list of delicacies.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-12-16 at 11:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

"Hmm, well perhaps there is some sense in what you say, yes," considers John. "What do you suggest?"

Spoiler
    Show
    "Long Pig"! Are you from Oceania?

As for your answer, there's no need to roll Diplomacy again yet, unless Eniarch pushes the boat out too far (what constitutes "too far" I'll leave for you to guess )

As an aside, the Relative Level for Diplomacy appears wrong on your sheet (with or without the -1 for Shy, it should be IQ-2 or IQ-1 respectively, by my reckoning). The actual Level appears correct, though.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric waves a wistful farewell to Gillian and Tring. He clears his throat a bit before it chokes up too much, and then distracts himself a moment by carefully taking in his surroundings.

Then, thinking of Ementha's kind words to him, he starts to slowly make his way back towards the gathering. But he stops abruptly: Cedric thinks better of the situation; and, in hopes that his absence will improve the wizards' general proceedings with John, heinstead decides to wander off in search of the "guard" in the leather and helm who had been helping to unload earlier.

Perhaps a little friendly small talk would help to pass some time, he muses.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2009-12-16 at 09:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Well, now that we come to it... Eniarch shifts his weight from foot to foot for a moment, and seems to consider the request before he finally answers. "Fifteen payable upon delivery of your object, and a sufficient advance to defray the costs we will unavoidably incur on the road while we collect your artifact."

Eniarch ticks off fingers as he lists requirements without which no sane city dweller would traipse into uncivilized territory. "Food, water, and the basics of survival required to make a ten day trip into wilderness territory." He smiles slightly. "I can quite easily understand your reluctance to provide additional money for hiring guards with three mages present, so we'll agree to hire any mercenary aid we need out of our own pockets. However, it also seems reasonable that if you wish a trip to be made, you should fund all of its most absolute necessities, and they will not come cheaply for a group this size. I would say..." He falls silent at the end, as though he's mulling the costs in his head before making a concrete offer.

"Call it 18 marks, three in advance for expenses incurred, and we'll go and find your artifact.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be honest, I'm just ballparking costs because Eniarch wouldn't really have a good sense of them (default merchant skill) and I don't want to push dear John too far. I've also assumed that early November in Caithness is comparatively mild, UP. Blankets and tents for cold-weather camping are more expensive, if there's snow on the way!
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-12-17 at 11:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

"Wait here please," says John, bending down to pick up the three sticks from the ground. "I shall be back shortly." He turns and walks purposefully to the tower.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha twirls in place to face the rest of the group. "Well, sounds like we're probably going to be working together. It'll be fun, I think. We'll probably need to hire another person or two in case we run into trouble. Does anyone know how much mercenaries charge? I can't say I've ever had reason to hire one before." She runs her fingers through her hair as she waits for a response.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Some muscle to put between us and any trouble that comes our way shouldn't be too expensive to hire. Franciszek dusts his robe absent-mindedly.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-12-19 at 09:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"I suspect our other negotiator wouldn't mind hiring on for a share of the reward since he's now between employment and without transportation." Eniarch jerks a thumb in Cedric's direction. "Make him a one-time offer, an equal share of salvage, recovery and reward, and we're left with the advance to handle our more immediate needs - food, waterskins, carrying bags, maybe even some bribes, if we can't convince John to be a lot more forthcoming with information about this 'artifact' than he has been so far."

He looks up at the sky and then back to the other mages. "If this place is as close as he's saying, we should be able to scoot out there and back easily enough if the weather holds. The faster we can get there and back, the faster we'll have some real coin in our pockets."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

John walks back from the tower and stands before the PCs. "We agree, yes. 3 Gold Marks now and 15 Marks on delivery." Producing a yellow purse, John holds it out to be taken. "Here is your advance, yes," he smiles. "You may keep the purse."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yellow cloth purse
    cost: n/a
    weight: neg.
    holds 3lbs

The purse contains 3 Gold Marks.

Total weight: neg.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-12-19 at 08:45 PM.