New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Eniarch seems somewhat reluctant as he reaches out and takes the purse, tying it to the simple belt he wears beneath the cloak.

"We've taken a great deal about your offer on blind faith, John, hardly a suitable basis for the negotiation we have concluded. This would be a very good time to start telling us all that we will need to know in order to find and return your artifact, wouldn't you say?" As he finishes speaking, Eniarch raises an eyebrow to emphasize the point.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

"Certainly," responds John. "Though I perhaps do not know as much as you might be thinking, yes. Nevertheless, I was reticent to say such as we do know, until I was certain of your commitment in this matter..."

He looks nervously at everyone before continuing. "The artefact we wish you to recover is an object created by a strange wizard called Dakijek, who lived 300 years ago. He was believed to have created a number of unusual magical items before he disappeared, but these were all since lost, yes.

"We have recently found indications that Dakijek retired to somewhere along the western border of the Empire, in what is now the Caithness borderland. Why he chose that location is not clear, but we believe that he created another artefact during his 'retirement'. Little is known about the nature of this object, but we have reason to hope that it is still there and has lain undiscovered until now, yes. This is what we wish you to recover.

"The borderlands area is still mostly wild and not much populated, yes, on either side. The house of Dakijek should be somewhere between Zarak and the river Conn, we believe. Probably nearer the northern mountains than not, yes."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch's brows draw down disapprovingly as John relates the 'full' nature of their tasks. I did not ask nearly enough, if we are to be sent for a wild goose chase in no certain direction. Finally, John finishes.

"You call the wizard strange and his enchantments unusual. You serve a mage, and you have seen enchanted items. Why were the collection of Dakijek and his items particularly strange and unusual?", begins Eniarch.

Not nearly enough. He continues. "300 years is older than Caithness. That's a very long time for a trail to go cold. What were these 'indications', and how did you come by them?"
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-12-21 at 07:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha leans on her staff watching and listening very carefully, but she does not say a word yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could you give me Detect Lies check? (Skill 14)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

We'll have to be awfully lucky to find something that has been hidden for 300 years, Franciszek says dryly.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

John replies to Eniarch's questions first. "Dakijek's artefacts seem to have been strange because they indicated that he did not always suffer traditional restrictions on enchantment. At least, as other mages understand them, yes.

"As to your question of 'indications', these were in the mention of Dakijek in a recently re-discovered text. Cross-referenced with existing written sources in our library."

Then, John turns to Franciszek. "We trust that you will be 'lucky', yes," he says.

---

@Ementha
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your observation of John's behaviour as he speaks, certainly seems to confirm your initial feeling that he is being truthful about what he is saying.

---

@Cedric

Spoiler
    Show
    Walking out the gates, you look around to find that the 'guard' is nowhere to be seen. At least he is not noticeably 'resting' on the job again, anyway.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-01-02 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Cedric update
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha steps forward. "It would take a serious dose of luck for us to find it at this rate. You've given us a vague area, but no description of what the item looks like nor what it does. How are we supposed to identify it? Just rely on our ability to sense magic and bring back anything that seems remotely magic in the area?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch listens carefully to Ementha's observation about the vagueness of the artifact's location and description, and then interjects. "You have only part of it. I have no map before me, but the expanse he describes is sizable. A 'ten day journey' in that expanse would require a fairly precise destination, indeed."

He casts a glance up the tower's exterior towards the top. "If I were a suspicious man, I might wonder if our employer delights in sending people on wild hunts through the wilderness simply to see who will go." His gaze lingers at the top of the tower for a moment, and then returns to John once more as he continues. "Where might we seek further for more.. accurate 'indications' of Dakijek's home? Perhaps you know where we might find his descendants? Does the local lording maintain tax records dating from the Megalan occupation?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

John replies to Ementha first. "Sadly, we know very little about the object. I am unable to give you a description. Going by the reputation of Dakijek, I expect that when you find it, the artefact should be easily identifiable as different or unusual, to mages with your talents, yes. But no description of the item was recorded," he smiles and leans toward the young woman. "I might be able let you into the master's library, though, if you wanted to check for yourself. Certainly, you could bring back anything you find if you are unsure whether it is what we seek. However, we are not interested in mere magical baubles. Any non-Dakijek items you find in the borderlands, We would expect you to keep for your trouble."

Turning to Eniarch, John looks a little impatient. "Until recently, we were not aware that Dakijek had even lived in that area. The merest rumour amongst the mages guilds of Caithness or Megalos that the enchanter might have done so, would probably encourage a number of spell-casters to go on 'wild hunts' as you put it, yes, on the mere hope of finding something of Dakijek's. You will understand, I trust, why we have been cautious with what information we do have?"

John takes a deep breath before continuing. "As to Megalan records, I doubt that much would have survived since the split, yes. In any case, if Dakijek had paid taxes during that time, he would not have done so under his own name. As I said earlier, he 'vanished' when he decided to retire. Any official record of him after that point would no doubt have sparked some interest by any mage that found such, yes. The fact that we have no known discovery until now, indicates that either his home has never been found. Or that if it was, that it was never identified as belonging to a wizard. In all likelihood, Dakijek chose such a remote and unpopulated location for his home because he did not want to be disturbed, yes."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Franciszek shrugs. I suppose we'd better get going, then.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles and leans back to John, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not as much for book learning as most wizards are. I can read and everything, but if your master's been over them and didn't find anything, I doubt I would. Maybe one of the others could," she gestures to the gentlemen behind her, "but I'd just be skimming along, hoping to get lucky."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

At the mention of gaining entrance to the wizard's personal library, Eniarch's head whips around to look at John. "I.. if you are willing to make that offer to our group in general, we would be most appreciative. Even a scrap of information might well aid in bringing your task to a speedy resolution, and it cannot hurt our chances of success to see what we might find."

He places his open hand on his chest. "I know you will surely have some misgivings about allowing this privilege to strangers you have only just met, but I can assure you, my conduct will be nothing short of exemplary."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming John is willing to go for that, Eniarch will happily spend a bit of time in the library trying to find anything at all that will narrow down Dakijek's residence or more about the items and artifacts Dakijek was known for - Research skill of 13, Thaumatology of 14, Alchemy 12 and Search 10 might all be relevant in finding information about Dakijek in the library, depending on the circumstances and the type of information involved.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

John blushes at Ementha's hand on his shoulder. "Yes, well, if you are sure, miss. Though I am certain that you are just being modest," he smiles.

At Eniarch's word's, John stiffens his posture. "Humph! Well I suppose if you conduct yourself with the same politeness inside, yes. You had best be as quick as you can, though. We don't want to inconvenience the master's studies. And," he says, looking up at the sky, then back at the assembled PCs. "The afternoon moves on, and town is ten miles away if you wish to get there before darkness falls. I trust the rest of you are happy to wait here for the present, yes? It doesn't look like it will rain, at any rate. Come with me, young Eniarch." John turns and starts walking briskly towards the tower.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-01-10 at 08:05 PM. Reason: not enough yeses

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Caught off guard by the abruptness of his departure, John makes a few steps before Eniarch hurries to follow him. "Er... Yes, sir. At once."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Last edited by Unwitting Pawn : Yesterday at 09:05 PM. Reason: not enough yeses"

Okay, I admit it. I laughed at that one.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric, not seeing his would-be-friend the guard, spends a moment looking about him.

OH! I'll make a bar song about him some day, yes. All barbs and clever words, yes. I'll teach it to his employees and chef and it'll be catchy and he'll be so embarrased he'll leave town. That's perfect, yes. he says, doing his best to quietly mime John's little quirk.

Giving a final look about for the guard from earlier, and, finding nobody, turns back towards the tower to look there for company.

Breathe, he sighs, not everyone likes to cavort the way you do, Cedric. I hope I didn't ruin it for the rest of them. Poor Miss Ementha... though, she didn't seem too troubled by it. If things have gone poorly, I'll make it up to them. If I have to, I'll even do a bit of groveling and apologizing to John, all formal like, and set things right...

He cringes at the idea a little. Then, his stomach rumbles a little, distracting him from his musings. As he walks towards the tower, he observes Eniarch hastening after John into the tower. Cedric changes course towards the group. He looks at Ementha with an embarassed expression, then turns towards Rann.

"Sorry for before... I hope it worked out better without me here. I suppose I'm used to negotiating with those of a more coarse nature," he apologizes, doing his best to look contrite.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-01-11 at 07:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

"No appologies are needed - in my line of work i've learned to look passed some of the more... ah, 'abrassive' manners some people work with. You didn't seem to be speaking with malice or discourtery so i take no offense on this occasion.

From what our host, john has said we best move on soon. From my travels i know this settlement near by is not a large town, but its a good place to move on further towards the border. I just hope our fellow employee doesn't nose too long through these books as i'd rather avoid travelling after dark. Maybe their studies will bear fruit?
    "
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

@Eniarch

Leading into the tower, John hurries you up two flights of stairs. He stops in front of a door marked with strange symbols, that to your eyes seethes with energy. This door John unlocks with a conventional-seeming key, before ushering you inside. The room itself feels smaller than it's physical dimensions because every surface is stacked with books and papers. Whether due to a desire to hurry you through as quickly as possible, or a sudden burst of genuine helpfulness, you are unsure, but John clears the central table and fetches for you the texts he believes to contain mentions of Dakijek. Leaving you to your reading, John shuts the door behind him.

After the best part of an hour, you find that most of the scant mentions of the elusive wizard simply confirm what John has already told you. It seems that not much was known about Dakijek, but his magical creations sparked a lot of interest. There is much hyperbole and no real details. The only thing new so far is the mention that Dakijek always wore blue. However, you have found references to some other books which John did not place on the table - if copies of some of these also exist in the library that could warrant further reading. Also, you are not able to read some of the older materials that John fetched-out for you, as you see they are written in Latin. But scanning through one, you have spotted where Dakijek's name appears in the text.

John reappears at the door. "How are we proceeding? Confirmed what I have told you, yes?"

@everyone else

The waiting outside is boring and uneventful. It is hours since any of you broke fast and those of you not already hungry, will be starting to feel so now in the absence of other distractions.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks gratefully at Rann. Then he asks with interest, "Ah, you must tell me a bit more about your line of work. I myself enjoyed playing host and barkeep at my father's inn, God rest his soul. Plenty of rough talking folk there, good enough people at heart all the same, you just need to become fluent with the language, so to speak," he finishes, winking.

He pauses, looks thoughtful a moment, and continues.

"And now, a little business talk. Now now, I'll keep it brief and to the point, because talk like this sounds formal and I don't like formal all that much myself. I'm available "for hire" so to speak, and can serve all of you well, just as I did for my good friend Gill, whom you met earlier. I'm willing to work. Rather than a flat rate, I myself prefer a little slice of the pie, so to speak. In my mind, that keeps me a little more cozy and a little more friend-like with everyone, which is how I prefer my world. Miss Ementha here," he says, nodding congenially her way, "believes I may have a part 'on stage' in this play, so to speak, and I have to say, I'm a little excited to be traveling to the to new lands, dangerous as it may be."

Cedric then stops and tries to wait patiently for an answer, attempting to ignore his rumbling stomach. His stomach growls rather loudly, and he looks around and sniffs the air.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Elsewhere, in the Library...

Eniarch startles and glances up at the doorway, not having heard John's return. "Actually, your information appears to have been most accurate, for which I wholeheartedly thank you, John. You cannot imagine how often I find people speaking about things when they are misinformed or inaccurate."

Shaking his head slightly and looking somewhat crestfallen, he continues. "However, I find myself at a sort of academic impasse. There are several works mentioned here I would like to find, but I'm not certain if the library contains them, nor do I wish to intrude beyond my welcome by seeking for them on my own. Might you know if they are herein?"

Tapping a finger upon the works in Latin, he manages a somewhat sheepish smile, "...and... well.. Do you read Latin, John? I confess, in my childhood I was never educated in the classic tongue as part of my training, but there are some mentions of Dakijek here in the language that I cannot decipher alone, and I would beg assistance with them."
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-01-20 at 01:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles, her nose wrinkling slightly. "I have no problem with what you suggest. Who am I to say that you'd deserve a smaller share than I for putting yourself to the same risks. Gill did seem rather impressed with your service too, so I would have no reason to doubt your abilities."

She sits down in the grass again and pulls a bit of dried meat from her pack. "Well, I hope you all don't mind, but my stomach is won't stand much longer without a bite to eat. I figure we've got some time until Eniarch gets back anyway." She begins gnawing on the dried meat.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric smiles and chuckles. "Well now, I don't need an equal slice... necessarily... but I would just prefer to feel like a part of the team, a bit more vested so to speak. And most importantly, if trouble does find us, I want comrades at my back, rather then feeling like an expendable wall of solid muscle," he says, patting his belly.

He turns to Rann. "Did we intend to wait for the wizard here, or move on to town and let him catch up? I don't mind kicking back beneath the stars; but if we're staying, I might like to sniff out a nibble or two and a drink. You know, prolong the purely functional eating" he says gesturing to the dried meat Ementha is eating "until absolutely necessary."

Spoiler
    Show
    Although Cedric may be a bit hungry, I don't think he's the type to beg rations off his new companions. What he might do is track down the guards to find a local fishing hole, or barter for some food using whatever means available (perhaps a successful carousing attempt, or money) from his "brothers in arms", the guards. However for the sake of progression I would just as happily write off food consumption until town, off screen, or whatever.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-01-21 at 10:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha removes one of her bracelets, a large round wooden one that slides easily off of her small hand. "Speaking of tonight, I might as well prepare here where it's easier to cast." She holds it in one hand, waving the other hand over it in a complicated gesture. She speaks a few words quietly and then taps the bracelet.

(Cast Continual Light (Skill 13))
    Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[7]

She intends to use the full 6 energy.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-01-21 at 12:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The bracelet bursts into a bright light. Ementha places her hand between the bracelet and her eyes and blinks a few times. A few drops of perspiration are on her forehead.

"Well, that's that," she says. She tucks the bracelet into one of the pockets in her skirt. It creates an odd glowing spot in the dark fabric. She leans back on one of her palms and continues eating her lunch.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Rann seems to ponder Cedric and Ementha's words. He watches as the young woman shoves the shining bracelet into her clothes, before speaking. "Nice trick."

Franciszek looks away disapprovingly, but says nothing.

Turning back to the stocky guardsman, Rann says "I have nothing against your suggestion of a 'slice of the pie', if John recommends extra muscle on this trip. I can probably look after myself, but three wizards are perhaps too much for any man to handle on his own," he smiles. "Miss Ementha also seems to be in agreement with your appointment so, provided that the others also approve... What do you say, Franciszek?" Rann prompts the quiet Megalan.

"What? Ah," the wizard absent-mindedly fidgets with his sleeve. "Yes, I agree also."

"Good. Then that probably settles it,"
    says Rann. " Unless Eniarch has any major objection...

"Speaking of whom, I wonder how long he is likely to be?"
    Rann tries not to look at Ementha eating. "I would certainly like to find a tavern soon for some lunch."

"Hmmm?" Franciszek looks up. "Oh I am hungry as well, now that you mention it. Excuse me." He turns and rummages through his backpack. Franciszek pulls out a block of cheese and sits down to nibble at it.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Back in the Library...

John nods in understanding as Eniarch speaks. "My knowledge is only specifically of the books that I pulled out for you. I am not aware that there is anything else relevant, yes. But you are welcome to look. I can allow you another hour in here, yes. Then I believe that the master wants the library for himself.

"As to Latin. I can only read and write it to a limited degree, yes. I'm afraid that mine was not an ecclesistical education."

Spoiler
    Show
    So you have 1 hour. Choose wisely, yes.

If you have any questions before you act IC, please to post OOC. I'm trying to avoid further wall-of-spoiler effects.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Egads," Cedric says, making a face, "it sounds awful when you say it. Perhaps instead I should have called my portion, 'a bite of the brisket' or 'a spoonful of the soup'... not quite the traditional ring but it sounds a bit less greedy, too." He seems pleased with his creativity.

Cedric's stomach growls, and it sounds aggressive and threatening.

I think I'll join you for a bite to eat. Perhaps we could move ahead to the town. We should probably let a guard know that we've headed off so that someone can tell Eniarch where exactly to meet us. Perhaps one of the guards can suggest a place to eat and stay, considering I don't know the town. If we get really lucky, perhaps one of the guards had lunch and has leftovers he's willing to share."

"If that's alright with everyone, then I suppose I should go tell someone.," he says, waiting a moment before heading towards the tower.

Spoiler
    Show
    What are our surroundings like? Are there more likely buildings to find guards in? Like a barracks or mess hall?
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-01-25 at 07:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Em smiles at Rann's recognition of her spell, but says nothing. She rolls her eyes at Frankie's obvious disapproval.

Ementha picks up her pack. "I think I have a little more in here if you're that hungry. I could probably find a little something to share." She puts the last of the hunk of meat she'd pulled out earlier in her mouth.

"I don't know about leaving without Eniarch though. In my experience, its usually best to stick together in these sorts of situations. Plus, I could use a little while to rest after casting that spell. That's why I did it, I figured we'd be waiting for him for at least a little bit."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-01-25 at 08:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

"Hold up there, Cedric. No point charging off, yet. Town is ten miles away," says Rann. "That'll take you a couple hours at least, judging by the size of your pack.

"Besides, Ementha is right. We shouldn't split up unless it's truly necessary. And you and I not having brought enough food with us and having to skip lunch, isn't an emergency,"
    he smiles. "Yet."

To Ementha he says "If you do have spare enough to feed Cedric and I, it would be appreciated. I'll gladly take care of a hot meal tonight in return."

"Yes," Franciszek looks up from his cheese. "The girl is tired from that spell, I expect."

---

Spoiler
    Show
    The area inside the wooden wall is a circular space approx 200 yards in diameter. The tower is in the centre of the yard. The stone building is five storeys tall and roughly 25 yards square. There are three smaller wooden buildings in the yard.

The smallest of the wooden structures is probably an outhouse. The largest is possibly a barn or storage building of some kind. The last building has a chimney, but is too small to be anything like a barracks or mess hall. As far as you could see, there were no buildings immediately outside the enclosure.

Caithness is a largely agrarian economy, so there will no doubt be villages in the surrounding countryside. You would almost certainly expect to encounter some along the road before you reach the town. However, realistically most villages are not large enough to support an inn, tavern or dedicated shop.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

...and now, we must rush. Eniarch's lips thin down. "My education was somewhat lacking in matters of dogma as well."

He rests his chin in against his right hand for a moment, drifting in thought, and then rests his hands flat upon the table, looking thin and worn down. "Here, then, is the plan that makes the most sense to me. Go to the others, if they were actually wise enough to wait for me, and see if any of them can read languages other than Anglish, Aralaise and Dwarven. If one can read Latin, we shall have that one translate these passages. If not, I will ask you read them for me as best you are able, which will certainly be better than I will manage in any case. I lack the materials to transcribe them, so I must take such translations as I may find."

He pushes his chair back and stands, then pushes it back under the table and begins searching the shelves while he continues to speak. "In the meantime, I shall try to find these other tomes myself. If I cannot, at least we will have spent our energies in the most productive manner available to us." He peeks around a shelf and looks at John plaintively. "Additionally, if you are willing to allow one or two of the others to search with me, I would be grateful. This is a sizable collection and I am most eager to find what we seek and be gone from here well before your master comes calling at the door."

He squints at a dusty book cover a moment, ignoring a reminder from his stomach about mundane concerns, and then frowns. Reaching into his belt purse, he produces a copper farthing in his open palm. And since I must search for these books in any corner, no matter how dark, best if I produce sufficient light to see them properly. He passes a hand over the coin, quietly whispering the words of a spell before tapping the coin with a finger as he finishes.

Spoiler
    Show
    No walls of text or significant questions. Eniarch can't read Latin and still needs to find the books referenced elsewhere, so best to get on with the search for more information while someone else is making a go at the information we've already found and which Eniarch cannot decipher himself.

The spell is Continual Light, with 4 points of energy: (3d6)[8]

The coin flares into a glow with the brilliance of torchlight, casting shadows upon the walls that transform Eniarch's cloaked frame into a giant looming over the room and lighting the recesses of his hood brightly enough to show the thinness of his face clearly.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-01-26 at 02:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

John waits for Eniarch to finish illuminating the coin, before he speaks. "Very well. You may fetch the others, yes. But be quick! And they must be quiet and not make a mess. I will wait here, in case none of them do read Latin, yes."

John pauses before muttering under his breath. "But you would think if they had any skill in written lore, that they might have spoken for themselves sooner..."