New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Ementha smiles. "Certainly, I'll see what I've got. I would say repayment isn't necessary, but it's been a couple of days since I've had a good warm meal. If you've got enough to spare tonight I certainly wouldn't turn you down." She opens the flap of her pack and begins searching through it. "Here we go." She holds out a small cloth that has been tied around a bunch of nuts and dried berries. "It's not much, but it should be enough for the two of you to make a meal out of."

Spoiler
    Show
    I've marked off three trail rations.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-01-26 at 11:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric hesitates.

"Well... you are right, good point, I would hate to leave a comrade behind for something as insignificant as a hot, delicious, mouthwatering..." Cedric shakes his head as if snapping out of a trance. "...lunch" he finishes with effort.

"As for your kind offer, Miss Ementha..." He pauses, his face reluctant, but his eyes betraying him: they haven't let Ementha's rations out of sight for more than a second or two.

"Well... only if you think you have enough. Just enough to tide me... erm, us... over until that hot dinner tonight. Thank you, Rann, you are generous as well. Thank you both. Mmm...."

Cedric takes a seat nearby Ementha and tries to get comfortable.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

"Thank you." Rann joins the others on the ground. He looks and Cedric's face for a moment, perhaps trying to gage from his expression whether the larger man was hoping for a portion of something a little less vegetarian in nature. Whatever his conclusion, Rann then begins dividing the proffered 1lb bundle of nuts and fruit into roughly equal halves.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric thanks Ementha and then Rann as he receives his portion.

He seems to be enjoying himself and he nibbles at his portion, making an effort to eat in a paced fashion.

"Miss Ementha," he says between mouthfuls, "you look like you've traveled quite a bit. I'd like to ask you a bit about where you learned fortune telling, and if you've been traveling long before coming here... if you don't mind my curious old self nosing his way into things a bit."

Spoiler
    Show
    I certainly don't expect that we have to conduct discussion like this IC but Cedric would take opportunity to ask questions of each of his companions during travel and free time, I think

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha rubs her forehead. "I'll be happy to answer your questions, but perhaps a bit later. I seem to be getting a bit of a headache, maybe I put a bit too much into that spell... I hope you don't think me rude, but I think I'd rather just sit quietly with my eyes closed until he's done in the tower. I'm sure you boys can find some more interesting topic than me anyway." She stands and moves a few paces away to the wooden wall. She sits, leaning back against the wall, and rests in the shade it offers.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Rann watches Ementha get up and move away, but says nothing.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-01-27 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Cedric
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks sympathetically towards Ementha.

"Well we'll have plenty of time for that later. It looks a bit draining but I'm still a bit envious of spell-casters. The other pasture is always greener I suppose."

He munches a bit more on the snacks.

"These aren't so bad really. *munchchomp*. So Rann, ever traveled near the borders? I'm afraid I have not done nearly as much traveling as I might like to do some day. I'm actually quite looking forward to this trip. Gill traveled a bit but for the most part I think it was all pretty tame. Ever been deep into Megalos? Tell me about the strangest thing you've seen...*chompcrunch*"

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: this was just filler. no need to continue on with this
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-01-26 at 09:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Rann pauses eating to answer his talkative companion. "I have travelled around Caithness a bit. Not gone too far into Megalos, though." He smiles. "You asked about strange? Well there was a funny thing this one time. You see, I'd been hired on a job to find a rare..."

The remainder of lunch passes without incident...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Clutching the glowing farthing in one hand, Eniarch snatches his staff up from beside the table and rushes from the room, slipping around John as he departs. "Quickly it is, then." As he hurries through the halls, the light from the coin in his hand squeezes between his fingers to cast rippling lines of light over the stone. Emerging once more into the sunlight, he squints a moment and the torchglow of the coin is all but drowned in the daylight.

It's obvious he's anxious about something as he approaches, almost breathless with haste. He calls out to the others as he hurries back to where they are gathered. "Do any among you read Latin, or any other languages beyond Anglish, Aralaise or Dwarven? I have found references to Dakijek in Latin - they may be something important or nothing at all. I also need a quiet and sharp-eyed searcher or two to help me search the library for some tomes that John cannot locate for me, and those may not be in Anglish any more than the others, if they exist at all."

Licking his lips nervously, he continues. "We have access to the library for no more than an hour and then must be gone, so we need to hurry if we would succeed. If you can help, then follow me. Quickly now!"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

"Only the Northland script," says Rann. "And that to a limited degree. I know no Latin, I'm afraid. If time is pressing though, I might still be of some help. I know my way around a book collection."

"Adsum!" Franciszek stands up. "I understand Latin fluently," he says.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric looks interested in Eniarch's excited request, but shakes his head and says "sorry friend, I wish I could help. Perhaps I could buy some time for you and distract John for a bit. Heh.

He brushes a few crumbs off his chest.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha stops rubbing her temples long enough to raise a hand. "I've picked up a bit of Elven, if you think that would help. I'm not sure how much use I'll be, but I can try to ignore this headache for a while if you need me."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

To Franciszek, he responds immediately. "You have training in the classical tongue and did not speak up previously? You are too modest by half, sir. Come, we can put your skill with language to use." He turns to Rann and continues. "The library is small enough that too many bodies would become a clutter quickly, but I think I can afford to take three, and we can search the library more thoroughly with extra eyes."

Looking at Cedric's slightly crumb-dusted clothing, Eniarch shakes his head. "You wish to help us, which is good, but if we accept you, then I would prefer to rely upon your avowed martial talents, to say nothing of trying to remain below John's notice for a bit longer. Wait for us here, and we'll return to discuss your.. employment. We shall not be more than an hour, in any case."

Next, he motions Ementha over, and then glances heavenward for a moment, as though to see how far down the sky the sun has descended. "I do not know that your language skill will help, but if I can only take three others, then I would take those who can accomplish more than one task where possible." He shifts the staff into his left hand, and raises his right hand hesitantly, and speaks in a somewhat lower tone. "I... can take that pain from you.." He swallows nervously. "...if you would permit me?"
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-01-28 at 08:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha smiles. "If you'd like, you may. But you don't need to tire yourself out on my account. I'm sure it will work itself out soon though. The few minutes I had of rest have helped some. I think I've got a bit of red-willow root in my bag that I can chew on too. That works wonders."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Ah." It seems as though he is about to say more, but then he closes his mouth and turns to address the group as a whole instead. "We should get started. Our time is most limited." With that, he turns on his heel and scurries back to the tower entrance to lead the way back to the library for the others, stopping at the door to wait for those who are returning with him.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha shrugs her shoulders and follows Eniarch. After only a couple of paces she turns her head over her shoulder calling out to Cedric, "Try to stay out of trouble now," she says giving him a good natured wink.

As they walk in, she says to the others. "I can look through books if you want me to, but I don't know that I'll find much." She shrugs. "Or if you want me to just stay out of the way unless you find something you want me to read through, just let me know."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric grins back at Ementha and waves to the departing figures.

After a few moments, he lays back and stares at the sky. If someone were watching, he would look lost in thought.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Come with us, just in case. I will continue to search the stacks alone, but without someone to translate the works I cannot read, some of what we find will be beyond our reach, and I would prefer not to waste more time returning a second time. You can simply rest and wait. So long as we are quiet and do not make a mess, John will not object, and I will not need to hunt for a translator."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Inside the tower...

Eniarch leads the others up two flights of stairs, where John is waiting impatiently in the doorway to the library. John steps aside to let the party through. As they enter, everyone can see that the open door itself is marked with strange symbols.

@Ementha
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not only can you see that the door seethes with energy, but you get a sense of multiple spells interlocked in a powerful pattern.

"Be careful! Be careful, yes," says John as the four PCs shuffle into the cramped and cluttered space. "This room was not meant for holding guild meetings. Now, do any of you know Latin?" Franciszek nods, and John says "Good, good. Then you do not need me, yes. I will be back in an hour. Do not make a mess." He hurries off.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch speaks up, impatient to be off on his search instead of standing around in a herd. "Franciszek, I laid the works that were in Latin out on the table." He indicates a small stack of old books and papers resting on the central table with his free hand. "The rest of you can just rest for a bit. If I find something to translate, you will be to hand, and if not, the library is at least out of the sun."

With that, he rests his staff against the wall near the door, and begins searching the stacks and shelves once more, orbiting the group as he moves from place to place in the library. "Now, while we're out of earshot, I assume we shall hire the merchant's guard?" He glances at the others a moment, and resumes his search. "He seems honest enough, if a bit coarse. Unless one of you has some objection, I would suggest we give him the opportunity to prove his worth. I learned long ago that sometimes the best things are found when you least expect them or want them."

Yes, and that find was a thing of beauty. Strong, fast, capable of using a sword well enough to finish off the friends he'd arrived with. Claudius was so happy to have the extra material, once we finally arrived, that he failed to scold me over how late I returned. He smiles slightly as he continues the search. An unexpected thing of beauty, indeed. I wonder how one might better preserve the mind, for next time...

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha pulls a large-ish canvas bundle from her pack. She unties the cord that had been wrapped around it, holding it all together. Inside, there are a number of small and large pockets each holding small tools or herbs. She quickly finds a small reddish brown root which she pops into her mouth and begins chewing on. She then carefully re-wraps the bundle and places it back into her bag.

While she does all this, she responds to Eniarch, "Actually, we've already had a word with him in your absence. We had come to an agreement, though on the condition that you had no objections."

While she waits she walks along one row of shelves looking over titles, away from the others so as not to be in the way. She grabs the first book to catch her eye, probably a tome on the natural world or the healing arts, but it could be on just about any topic really. She sits down and flips through it quietly, waiting for the others to need her.

Spoiler
    Show
    The canvas bundle was her first aid kit. She took out some red-willow root, which I've just made up as a herbal headache remedy. I figured that would be okay.

I'm also assuming that Ementha has enough time in here to finish regaining all the energy she has spent. If I remember correctly (can't access her sheet because mythweavers is down at the moment) she has recover energy at 15. She had previously used 10 energy, between the casting of mage sight and her continual light. She probably had enough time to get back the mage sight over lunch and the continual light here in the library.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch doesn't even look up from the stacks where he's looking. "Until I've seen him in action, I wouldn't know a steeled mercenary from an oafish farmer with a sword. I cannot think of any informed objection I would raise."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Results of the research

Eniarch has found two other sources that contain possible mentions of the mysterious Dakijek. One book tells that the enchanter always wore at least one item of blue clothing, and was never seen otherwise in public. The second book tells of a strange little man that lived in Nightstalker Forest and it is this description that one of the previous texts Eniarch had read refers to - the author there believing it to probably be the elusive Dakijek in retirement. Nightstalker Forest is described as being 200 miles northwest of New Jerusalem.

Rann discovers nothing new himself, and only serves to get in the way.

Franciszek finds that the works in Latin mostly confirm what has already been said by John. There is one book that refers to Dakijek as "the green wizard". Another tells of him having gone west in retirement, never to return. It says that he left behind his favourite blue hat, but does not record what became of the article after that.

Ementha has not been required, as nothing in Elven needed to be read. The book she picked up describes "Simple Herbal Remedies of Village Witches" with what turns out to be an alarming degree of inaccuracy.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't imagine that any of the PCs are likely to have faced a nightstalker before. However they will probably all know that nightstalkers are gigantic bear-like animals which live in the wooded areas of Caithness and Megalos. They are very aggressive meat-eaters that have no hesitation adding people to the menu.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha can be seen shaking her head several times, and even occasionally clicking her tongue. After about a half hour of flipping through the book, she stands and looks around for some paper and a bottle of ink.

If she finds some, she'll draft a note describing all the inaccuracies she has found. As she continues to read, she adds to the note. Eventually as the hour winds to an end she'll conclude her note by writing where she's had to leave off in her reading and saying that she hopes the reader finds the notes helpful. She signs her name and leaves the note sitting on top of the book on the table.

If she doesn't find any paper, she puts the book back on the shelf and pulls another. "Maybe this one won't be such garbage," she mutters.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Ementha finds suitable paper, quill and ink. Having only half an hour left in which to write her corrections, she will have to work fast.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK dariathalon, a skill check is in order

Now I think that either Esoteric Medicine or Pharmacy (Herbal) could come into play here, so we'll use the higher one. This will technically be an IQ-based roll rather than Per, but in Em's case they're both the same so no change there.

I also think that Writing skill should play a part as well; Em is putting theory and experience into written form, in a hurry, and the writing needs to be readable and accurate.

As the two things are concurrent, rather than separate sequential skill uses, let's do this: make one 3d6 roll, which we will compare against both target numbers.

If the roll is low enough that both skills succeed, then Ementha has written notes which are clear, accurate, and relate to the book material in an understandable fashion. If the first skill succeeds, but not the latter, then another practitioner would probably be able to decipher that her corrections were accurate, but a lay-person would likely just get confused. If they both fail then the work will be confusing and contradictory and Em would know that just be reading it back. On a critical failure, then Ementha has done something awful - let's say she spills the ink all over the original book.

Based on that, you can make a spoilered roll and should be able to edit the IC content to fit the result accordingly. Let me know if I've missed something out (in OOC thread pls if you want to ask before rolling).

And finally, the target numbers:
    Esoteric Medicine at +2 because it's just theory and she doesn't have an injured/sick patient to worry about - 16
    Writing at default, with an extra -2 'cause she's having to work fast - 6

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the hour comes to a close, Ementha concludes her note. She holds it up to re-read what she has written. She squints and moves the paper forward and back away from her face before eventually settling on the correct reading distance.

When finished, she makes a slightly disappointed face. "I think I tried to write too much. It came out a little jumbled, but at least the information is correct now. Hopefully he'll be able to understand it all," she says quietly.

She places the note on the table, and adds the following, "I must apologize for my skipping around so much as I've written. There were just too many problems with the book for me to address them all in the short time that I had. I couldn't, in good conscience let them go unaddressed. I hope you find these corrections helpful and if you wish to discuss them further, I'd be happy to speak with you on the issue when I return. May many blessings befall you, Ementha."

She puts the note and the book on the table and picks up her things, preparing to go.

(Esoteric Medicine and Writing roll)
    Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[12]

I've editted in a post that I think reflects this roll.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-02-02 at 09:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Hmf." Eniarch shakes his head. "Not much here. There's a reference here that might be correct." He taps a slim book. "...but there's nothing definitive."

"So far, aside from a predilection for wearing blue, I've found only this reference to a "strange man" living in 'Nightstalker Forest'. Not exactly a welcoming way to name a place, but the area fits our rough idea of where to go, at least. I wonder if the locals in town might know more about the area, maybe even something about its history."

He manages a shrug of resignation. "If there's more to find, I doubt I'll discover it here."
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-02-02 at 11:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well hopefully that book is a little more accurate than this one was," Ementha says while putting the ink and quill back where she found them.

"Not that I'd mind if the part about the nightstalkers was a little bit off. Never actually seen one, but the things give me the shivers. Ol' Leftie back in Shade's Edge told of a run in he had with one years back. Thing tore off his arm! While it was eating away at that, Leftie ran and ran and ran. Straight back to Widow Griselda. She staunched up the bleeding and saved his life. She said if he'd taken just a few minutes longer to get there he'd have died from all losing so much blood."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch frowns slightly. "I've never actually seen one. I don't know that I've ever met anyone who has."

He fetches his staff from the place where it rests, once again ignoring a reminder from his stomach that lunch has come and gone, and turns to the others. "However, we can discuss how best to deal with nightstalkers once we are certain we are planning to search that area. As we will accomplish little else here, let us find John, thank him for his assistance, and depart. We have many preparations to make and by now our mercenary must be getting anxious to be off."

He clutches the glowing coin in one hand, and then uses his staff to motion to the door. "Shall we be off?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Comfortable, sated (for now), and feeling a bit better about things after some time to think, Cedric has since retrieved his lute and begun playing.

Notes vaguely resembling a locally popular bar song warble through the air, and Cedric quietly sings along.