New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Before anyone can reply to Ementha, there is a shout or cry from up ahead and the candle goes out. Followed by a wet thud.

Spoiler
    Show
    In answer to dariathalon's OOC question:
    The candle/voices were roughly 50 yards in front.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Someone is going to need a healer, and quickly. Holding the coin aloft for vision, Eniarch rushes forward past the others, heading rapidly towards the location where the candle was before it was extinguished.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well this is my queue. I hope that sound was someone just falling in the mud.

Cedric draws his sword as he follows Eniarch.

"Wait up for me Mister Wiz," he grunts.

He then calls out loudly as he joggles on, "Hello? Are you alright?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Cedric is unable to keep pace with Eniarch as the unencumbered wizard rushes ahead. However, some speech is heard from the darkness, but it is too quiet to be intelligible to the party. Then someone shouts outs, perhaps in response to Cedric's call.

@Eniarch
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear "-mumble- right! Frederick's just fallen over!"

No-one else is able to catch what was shouted.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm waiting for a mo OOC, just to give anyone who wants to post again a chance to do so. Otherwise, I'll continue tomorrow with the assumption that Eniarch and Cedric keep running.
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch slows to allow Cedric to catch up, and hisses an exhortation for more speed. "Haste, then! Someone needs assistance!"
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2010-02-17 at 08:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha looks back at Rann and Franciszek and shrugs her shoulders. Then she begins jogging behind the other two. Her gait is a bit awkward, due to her knobby knees and bowed legs, but she moves in the direction following Eniarch. "Don't you worry deary. Help is on the way," she calls out.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

As Eniarch and Cedric approach and the darkness recedes, it can be seen that there are three ordinary-looking men before you. Only one of them is standing. He appears to be trying to get his companion up from the ground, where he is sitting, half covered in mud. The third fellow is crouching down nearby, and as the light of coin illuminates a candle lying on the ground, he retrieves this.

"We're all right," says the standing man. "Ish just Frederick. He's very drunk. W-" The man then seems to notice Cedric's drawn sword and stops talking.

"Shpeak for yourshelf," says Frederick. "I'm only a little bit drunk! Anyway, who are theesh-," he turns to look at the newcomers. "Oooh, bright lightsh! Are you a wishard?" He looks at Eniarch expectantly.

Ementha arrives, just as the crouching man stands up. He says nothing, but watches the PCs as he tries to re-light the fallen candle.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-02-18 at 08:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Bah. Drunken fools. Lucky if they don't wander off the road, get lost, and wake up in a gully with a busted leg. Resting the butt end of his staff upon the ground, Eniarch exhales a breath he hadn't noticed he was holding, and then manages a small smile and a shake of his head at the question. "Me? No. I'm just a simple apothecary that can manage a few tricks of the light. We thought perhaps you gentlemen were in need of assistance, but you seem to be intact."

He shifts his weight from foot to foot and seems to be a little less comfortable with the size of the group now that the immediate need that inspired his urgency has been shown as nothing more than a trick of the light. Perhaps they could tell us how far down the road the source of their libations lies, but we'd do well to be off once again in any case.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

"Yesh," says Frederick. "I'm fine. Shank you, mashter apoth- apothecary." He stands unsteadily and grabs the shoulder of his comrade to steady himself. "Thish ish Harold."

"Hello." Harold gestures a greeting with his free arm. "Well then. Shorry to cause undue alarm," he says, looking from Cedric to Eniarch, then glancing quickly back at Cedric's sword, before looking at Ementha.

@Cedric
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man who has not spoken appears genuinely nervous. He is having difficulty lighting the candle. His nervousness is probably down to the fact that the burly man watching him intently is wielding a drawn sword.

"Well then, Frederick," says Harold. "Let's get you home. And she if you can avoid knocking the candle out of Warren's hand this time."

"It washent my fault. He shouldn't have put hish arm in my way likeshat," states Frederick. "And beshides, he hashent even relighted -ed it yet. Come on Warren! Heloo! Warren! We won't get far in sher dark wishout the candle. Unlesh the wish- oops shorry! -apothecary lends ush one of hish li-" Frederick looks at Eniarch holding the coin, then at Ementha's shining bracelet. "lightsh. Oooh, two lightshes! And two-" He stops as if seeing Ementha for the first time. "Apoth- apothecarysh. Heloo mish! Thatsh a nice brashe-let."

"It won't light," says Warren quietly.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2010-02-18 at 07:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well they seem harmless enough, they don't appear to have malicious intent. Just your average worker really. Seen this plenty of times around, just with different names, thinks Cedric, looking seriously at Warren as he examines him.

Then he face lightens up and he lets out a resounding laugh. Small noctural animals probably flee the surrounding area.

"I'm glad nobody has come to harm, we had thought the worst when you shouted out and carried on. We just hustled ahead of the others in our party. They should be riding up here shortly." He glances back dramatically to look behind him. "Here, perhaps I can help with the candle in the meantime."

Cedric puts his sword into its sheath and gestures to Warren for the candle and flint.

"I am a bit sad you stopped singing. I was going to join in at the chorus. In fact, back in Carrick, I had to help a few fellows find their way home from my bar... HA... I think it even ended with someone bottoms-up in a puddle... NOT ME" Cedric smiles and chuckles. "He was a bit worse for wear than you there, Frederick. You know though I really wouldn't mind a drink after the day I've had. How far do I have to go to get a decent one around here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I had hoped to work an opportunity for carousing now that I have a somewhat more appropriate audience. However, short of literally writing an <insert carousing joke or buddy-buddy statement here> block, I opted for a slight reminisce which may not really fit the bill. I think this is sort of what I was getting at with my OOC questions earlier

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha seems to be having a hard time stifling a giggle at the drunkard's antics. "I may not like alcohol much, nor do I approve of those who over imbibe. But, sometimes you just can't help laughing at them," she thinks.

She nods at the man's greeting. "I'm Ementha. Happy to meet ya. I don't know about calling me an apothecary though. Seems a pretty high falutin word for what I do. I've spent much of my life training to be a wise woman though, back in Shade's Edge. What do you boys do?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if Ementha's Detect Lies (skill 14) or Empathy (IQ 13) tells her anything about these guys.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

Warren looks a bit startled by Cedric's laugh. Gingerly, he hands over his candle and tinderbox. The candle is tallow rather than beeswax, and has gotten slightly damp from falling on the ground. "It wasn't me singing," he smiles nervously. "It was them.

Warren pauses before continuing. "If you're wanting a drink-"

"Shpeak up, Warren!" Frederick shouts. "We cantshere what you're shaying!" Harold tries to calm him down.

Warren scowls at his inebriated companion for a second, before turning back to Cedric. "The tavern is called the Red Harding It might not be the best ale, but it'll get you drunk just the same, as my friends here can demonstrate. It's on this road, about two miles down, in the next village." He points into the darkness. "Keep going, you won't miss it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Devereux:
    Because you mentioned Carousing, I decided to roll on you behalf for expediency in this instance, so that I could have Warren react accordingly. Otherwise, I'd have to ask you to post the roll, wait for the number and then post the result, all before I could respond to dariathalon IC.

As for lighting the candle, give me a roll against Survival skill, with -0 for basic equipment (Warren's tinderbox), and +4 for fairly routine task.

Just in case you didn't know, Personal Basics is considered to include a tinderbox, flint and steel, or similar suitable items amongst its equipment.

dariathalon:
    Ementha feels that they are genuine enough. There isn't anything unusual or concerning about their behaviour really.

"We're farmers," says Harold in response to Ementha's question. "Wheat farmers."

"Yesh!" Frederick shouts in agreement. "Farmersh! We eat farmersh!" Then he laughs at his own joke.

Rann and Franciszek arrive from behind at this point.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well despite my size, I prefer to enjoy one or two drinks that are really good, rather than losing myself in a barrel of bad ale. Back in Carrick, I really appreciated the patrons, like you, who refrained from getting drunk, so they could see their friends safely home." Cedric says this, doing his best to look at Warren kindly.

He continues, as he works at lighting the candle. "Really, I think we are a bit more interested in a comfortable place to sleep, where I won't wake up itchy, and where my money won't wander away on its own. Think you can help?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm rolling this 3d6 right? not 1d18?
    Survival (10+4): [roll0]

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks, I'm still working through when I roll vs when you roll for me

IRT the flint and tinder, Cedric simply decided he wasn't going to be digging into his bag when he still wasn't 100% positive about the intent of the group.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-02-19 at 03:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try the roll again
    (3d6)[11]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Ah... Now that Cedric's broached the subject, Eniarch's attention latches onto Warren in expectation of the forthcoming answer. Someone's thinking ahead. Good man.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

"Comfortable I don't know about," ponders Warren. "There is the inn at Fordham Bridge, but I've never used it meself. 'Course that's by the river as you might expect. Ah, I see you've got it lit, thank you.

"Where you headed? Fordham Town?"
    Warren asks as he waits to receive back his things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Devereux View Post
    I'm rolling this 3d6 right? not 1d18?
    Arggh! Not 1d18! That would mess up the bell-curve. And is dangerously close to That Other Game(tm)

Thanks, I'm still working through when I roll vs when you roll for me
    In some ways it would be easier if I rolled EVERYTHING, wouldn't it? But I know how players (myself included) like rolling dice when they can, so the built-in roller is as close as we're gonna get via PbP.

I'm not sure where you still confused, though. If you want, I can try and give some examples in OOC thread. But, TBH, it isn't a major issue really - if you roll something that you shouldn't have, I can always ignore it and reroll for myself anyway.

IRT the flint and tinder, Cedric simply decided he wasn't going to be digging into his bag when he still wasn't 100% positive about the intent of the group.
    Certainly. That made sense to me from an RP perspective. I was just making sure that you knew, as I'm aware you don't have the Basic Set.

Let's try the roll again
    Not sure why the first attempt failed. But your re-roll of 11 was a success of course

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric hesitates before answering Warrens questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it might be fun to make a truthfulness roll here. Since Warren asked 2 questions, I thought depending on how well I pass/fail the roll, would determine my results. UP let me know if I need to be more truthful :P I will edit/write my answer once I know the results

Truthfulness (15): (3d6)[11]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric swallows a twinge a guilt, but replies as best he can without revealing the ultimate purpose of their trip, but without misleading them too much. If this artifact is as rare and valuable as John claims, the fewer people who know, the better. For our safety as well as theirs.

"These are my traveling companions, and we are on our way to visit my younger sister, Janet, who works as a seamstress, and my brother Samuel, though I'm not sure what he does at the moment. They both live in Fordham. Though, the last time we had seen either was at Janet's wedding four years ago. Do you know them?"

And they do live there, that is true, he thinks with a little guilt.

Cedric scratches at his chin, hands the candle and supplies back to Warren, and continues on, "Probably not. I'm not sure any of us here would recognize them, four years can change a person! But I thought that while I was between jobs, I may as well visit. We had hoped to finish our journey there tonight, do you think we would be able to make it there? If not, is there a town closer to rest, and buy some food, we're getting a bit hungry."
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-02-20 at 03:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

"Well," answers Warren. "If you're heading into town, then the inn at Fordham Bridge would be going out of your way. It's about five miles walk in the wrong direction, I reckon.

"You could come back back with us, but five people and a horse is a large group to fit in a small house,"
    he continues after looking the PCs over. "It won't comfortable. And it's the wrong direction if you're in a hurry. Which I'm guessing is so, 'cos you're marching at night. Well, the Red Harding tavern is going to be your best bet, I'd say.

"I'm sure that Trent Harding would let you sleep at the tavern one night, if you tell him we sent ya. He's let Frederick collapse there before, when there's been no-one to walk him home."

Frederick and Harold shout out an unintelligible cheer at this.

"And of course," finishes Warren. "There'll be beer and food enough for all at the tavern."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now that's some trust and kindness for you... good folks, these.

"Thank you for your generous offer, friends. I think in all likelihood we will continue onwards to the tavern, unless one of my friends here object and would prefer to go to the inn despite being a bit out of the way. By and by, once we're at the tavern, how much farther will it be to get to town? I want to make sure we leave early enough to get there at a decent time."

Cedric stifles a yawn and rubs at his shoulder a bit. I hope the others know where we're headed and can get us there from here.
    Last edited by Devereux; 2010-02-21 at 04:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

"From the Red Harding, it's about six mile into town, I'd say," replies Warren. "Just follow this road all the way." He shivers as the cold breeze picks up tempo. "It's cold out here, friend. And not being as drunk as my fellows here, I'm rather feeling it.

"So, if there'll be nothing else, then I'd better help Harold with Fred there. Thanks for relighting the candle."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Be safe then, and thanks."

Cedric inclines his head and makes a gesture of his thanks and respect.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch dips his head and prepares to set out with the others. "Fare thee well, gentlemen, and thank you for the directions." He once again shoulders his staff-bound burden and prepares to set out.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha waves to the gentlemen. "Take good care of yourself and your friends. From the looks of things they'll need it." Ementha begins walking. "Well that was lucky, running into that lot. He was right about the chill in the air. I'll be glad to see a nice warm fire and a place to rest my tired legs."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Rann gives the farmers a wave as the groups depart. Once there is a bit of distance between them he responds to Ementha. "I too, will look forward to hot meal. I wonder what provision this tavern will have for horses, but I wasn't expecting there to be many alternatives, so we'll have to make the best of it."

He looks at Cedric. "Franciszek and I missed the beginning of your conversation, Cedric. How far did the man say it was to this tavern?

"Oh, and I'd say you handled the situation quite well,"
    he smiles at his stout companion. "You got them quickly relaxed and talking, considering you'd just charged at them with a drawn sword!"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric grins back at Rann with a show of slight embarrassment and sincere modesty.

"Thanks. I have a little easier time chatting with the dirt-under-the-fingernail types, I enjoy it. Maybe next time I'll just be ready to pull out the weaponry. But what with all this talk of mercenaries and dangerous lands, and then to have them shouting out like that startled me a bit. Just glad it worked out with everyone in-tact and hopefully dry breeches, except for poor Frederick."

Cedric points down the road Warren had indicated, "The Red Harding Tavern is a couple miles up in at the first village we come to, and he said six miles past that would be Fordham Town. By and by, I do have a brother and sister there," he says smiling, "and it has been quite a while."

Cedric continues. "Warren also spoke of Fordham Bridge in another direction but I'm not sure what else is there besides an inn."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Rann thinks about Cedric's words, but doesn't say anything further.

@Ementha
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your general knowledge of Caithness means that you know that the River Conn probably marks the western edge of the lording of Fordham. There must be at least one bridge connecting the lording to Carrick and Deerwood. So, likely that a place called Fordham Bridge is the settlement on the eastern side of that crossing. That would make it somewhat west of your current position, with the town being to the north.

@Cedric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you think about it, Gillian's wagon did cross a bridge over a large river (was it the Conn?) on your way to the tower. And there was a fairly sizeable village there on this side of the river, but Gillian didn't stop so there wasn't a chance to look around. Maybe that place was called Fordham Bridge?

"The river Conn is west of here, isn't it?" Franciszek wonders. "Perhaps this Fordham Bridge is at the crossing."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ementha finds a spot of bare earth. She begins sketching out a very crude map of what she can remember of the area. "Hm... Let's see. This spot is us." She uses the end of her staff to kick up a small tuft of earth. "And over here, this line I think would be the River Conn." She uses her staff to draw a long line running north to south, a little to the west of their current position. "There's got to be a bridge connecting us to Deerwood and Carrick, so I'm thinking this Fordham bridge community would be right about here." She draws another short line crossing the river to represent the bridge and another point just on this side of the river. "And the town we were thinking of heading to is up here." She kicks up another spot in the earth to the north of their current position. "The distances are all guesswork though. I'm not really sure. Does this look about right to the rest of you?"

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cedric takes a look at the map and says, "Well, you've convinced me at any rate. I think we crossed the Conn on the way to the tower, but didn't stop at the village there."

"At any rate, I don't have a good feel for the direction we're going, I was hoping John might have told one of you more details," he confesses.

And if nobody does, then at least let's get warm and fed tonight. Didn't Rann offer to treat us to a hot meal? I hope so. Though from what the farmers were saying, I sure hope the food is better than the ale.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch leans in over the diagram that Ementha scrawls in the dirt. "I can find no fault with it. The map I consulted before setting out didn't depict settlements smaller than Fordham itself, and no telling how far out of date it was at that."

Glancing at Cedric, he shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. John didn't seem very inclined to tolerate me any further than I'd already pushed him, which hardly seems atypical for the people in the area greeting my countrymen." He punctuates this last part with a slight twisting of his lips, perhaps unhappy with the reception he receives simply based on his origin. As prejudiced as if they were my legions, no matter how courteous I might be. Bah.

"Let's keep on going. Worst case, we'll bump into the tavern, get a hot meal and some directions from someone not fumbling for balance." He waves a hand up the road. "And if not, well, we can still cover some distance towards the city before we need to settle in for the night."