New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Endless Dungeon - Akon

True...but in volume, it can down damn near anything without resists.

Direct hit on the brown mold, causing it to double in size as it sucks the heat from the torch for energy. It now occupies D7 as well.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

D7? I thought it was in C6? That's a weird direction to grow to... Well, that's pesky.

Well, anyways, that was a horribly failed attempt and it's not really Akon's worry to deal with a damn mold problem in a dungeon, so he'll leave it at peace for now. Actually, I just realized I have Lore so I could figure out the hell it is:
    Lore - (1d20+1)[10]
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Oh really...I put it in the wrong square...that gives a safe way for people to get to the chest. Must fix that for future adventurers. =)

Call it C7 for you then.

No idea what the knowledge check is for it, but you can find the goodies here, bottom o' page. It's a terribly fun thing to use in conjunction with other nasty, fiery traps.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-05 at 10:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

Well, that's just swell. Yeah, I figured if it grew on heat, it'd be destroyed by cold. Of course, Akon doesn't exactly have too much cold stuff at his fingertips right now. Alright, I guess Akon will continue past the damn thing then. There's a door at E7 if I understand correctly; that's where Akon heads next. Usual precautions:

Listen - (1d20+6)[10]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[21]
    Hide - (1d20-3)[4]
    Move Silently - (1d20-3)[14]

EDIT: Yeah, don't worry about the placement; considering I already walked past it anyways, the damage is done (literally). I figured it might just be a DAMN good idea to ignore the only relevant thing in the room and all.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 10:50 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah...it's nonlethal damage, so it fixes itself in rather short order, but it could be a rather nasty trap for low hp types. Cold damage is relatively rare in general at this level...ray of frost is pretty much the only realistic option.

As you listen at the door, you hear a hum of activity.

Presuming you peer inside, a strange sight greets your eyes. In the center of a 20 by 25 ft room, a large, ancient altar sits, and aged, broken and useless candelabras occupy each of the four corners. All these details, however, are obscured by the thick layers of grime, wax and honey built up by the two giant bees you see occupied in slowly turning this place of worship into a hive. The room has two doors leading north, and one leading south.

Giant Bees(G7, H9). All movement within this room counts as difficult terrain unless you can fly.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-07 at 09:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

<An altar?>, Akon wonders. <For what? Knowledge may lie here. These bees must die.>

With that, he engages in combat (I assume he's entitled to a surprise round, then?):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Granted Maneuvers:
    (1d5)[4]
    (1d4)[3]

1. Crusader's Strike
    2. Charging Minotaur
    3. Stone Bones
    4. Douse the Flames
    5. Leading the Attack

Initiative - (1d20+2)[20]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

He is, the bees are just chilling, making their stuff, and definitely not paying him any attention at all.

8. - Top - End - #158

While moving in the room may be difficult, Akon's reach allows him to engage the Bee in front of him without moving.

Initiate Stone Bones:
    (1d20+4)[13] for (2d4+4)[9] (heal 2 to self if successful)

New maneuver: (1d3)[2]

Stat block:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 19
    HP: 15/15, 3 Nonlethal
    DR: 2/Adamantine
    25% Fortifications
    Steely Resolve 5
    Attack: +4 for 2d4+4 at 20/x3
    Contingent Faith Healing on being knocked to unconscious

Effects:
    None

Maneuvers:
    1. Crusader's Strike
    2. Charging Minotaur - Granted
    3. Stone Bones - Used
    4. Douse the Flames - Granted
    5. Leading the Attack
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-07 at 09:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

That hits....doesn't kill it, but certainly came close.

Init:
    (1d20+2)[19]
    (1d20+2)[9] - wounded bee

10. - Top - End - #160

Heartened by his success, Akon hits the Bee again:
    (1d20+4)[15] for (2d4+4)[12] (heal 2 to self again)

New maneuver: (1d2)[2]

Stat block:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15/15, 1 Nonlethal
    25% Fortifications
    Steely Resolve 5

Effects:
    None

Maneuvers:
    1. Crusader's Strike
    3. Stone Bones - Used
    5. Leading the Attack - Granted
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-07 at 09:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The giant bee dies the way it lived, in a mound of gunk and honey.

The other one is out for blood, though, and heads straight toward you. Unfortunately, this provokes an AoO.

OOC: Yknow, I knew I should have put more bees in here. It's already CR3, but I was soo tempted to make it four of those suckers. Woulda been awesome.

12. - Top - End - #162

OOC: Well, I don't think Akon would really crap either way since he's immune to Poison. And I don't think bee stings are the most damaging things ever. But yeah, 4 would be nice. CR 5 encounter XP *yum*

Akon catches the Bee as it tries to bypass the Guisarme that already reaped its mate:
    Attack - (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage - (2d4+4)[9]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Not knowing of your immunity, he'll of course try to sting you in the face.

Sting: (1d20+2)[18]
    Dmg:(1d4)[2]

OOC: That's actually a pretty handy immunity...there's a few poison encounters on this level alone, plus the chance of random nasties(see also, swarms)

14. - Top - End - #164

OOC: Yeah, comes with the standard Warforged laundry list. One of the key reasons for my selection in spite of -2 Wis.

The sting barely misses and opponent being too close for missiles, Akon switches to guns drops his Guisarme drawing out a Morningstar with a two-handed grip, Akon delivers an attempt at a solid *thump* that would open up the creature for a follow-up hit:

Initiate Leading The Attack.
    Attack - (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[8]

New maneuver: (1d1)[1] - Oh wait

Stat block:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15/15, 1 Nonlethal
    25% Fortifications
    Steely Resolve 5
    Attack: +4 for 1d8+4 at 20/x2

Effects:
    None

Maneuvers:
    1. Crusader's Strike - Granted
    3. Stone Bones - Used
    5. Leading the Attack - Used
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-07 at 10:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

...Level 2 Akon is a friggin' Crit Machine.

Crit Confirm - (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[12]

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Don't get the confirm, Im afraid, but definitely connects.

Again with the stinging!

Sting: (1d20+2)[4]
    Dmg:(1d4)[2]

17. - Top - End - #167

OOC: Time to pull out one more trick from Akon's bag I have yet to utilize.

Switching to one-handed grip of the Morningstar, Akon follows up the weapon seamlessly with a Slam-attack [TWF with Natural Attacks as secondary; no penalties on primary, -5 on Nat Attacks]:
    Morningstar Attack - (1d20+8)[20] (Leading the Attack)
    Morningstar Damage - (1d8+3)[9]
    Slam Attack - (1d20+3)[5]
    Slam Damage - (1d4+1)[2]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The bee dies horribly. +900 xp...you've been raking in the xp, how far are you from leveling?

19. - Top - End - #169

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hm, I don't think I was assigned any XP from surviving the Mold, so I'm 75xp away from level 3. Wow, that's been fast.

To ensure everything's accounted for:
    300xp from 4 Kobolds
    75xp from Beaver
    900xp from 6 Goblins
    150xp from Goblin
    600xp from Ape
    900xp from 2 Bees

Yyyup, that adds up to 1800+600 = 2400, 2400+300 = 2700, 2700+150 = 2850, 2850+75 = 2925

Either way, Akon searches the environment quite thoroughly, but is especially interested in the shrine:
    Knowledge (Religion) - (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-07 at 10:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: Yeah, I don't award trap/avoidance xp unless disabled/destroyed, due to the squishiness of ajudicating what exactly bypassing something consists of...the dungeon is pretty non linear. Nobodys actually managed to kill the mold yet. Nice though...we only have what, one or two level threes atm?

You find enough honey and honeycomb that looks sufficiently clean to eat to supplement your rations for two days.

In addition, you dicern that the altar bears the markings of the god Erythnul.

21. - Top - End - #171

OOC: Honey would be awesome if Akon ate. And yeah, the Mold is pretty much "Ray of Frost or bust" since that's the one spell you may actually PREPARE to destroy it. Akon is a Cleric though; he knows all the spells on his list and there are a few spells that could destroy it. It's tempting to rest here just for that (and to renew Lesser Vigors), but I'd rather go clean up a few more rooms first and see if anything else needs God's hand.

<Hmm, the God of Slaughter? Wonder if the whole dungeon has something to do with the god>

With his thoughts, Akon decides the answer will not be found here and makes his way through the honey to the next door at I8 (wielding the trust Guisarme again).

Listen - (1d20+6)[22]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[20]
    Hide - (1d20-4)[4]
    Move Silently - (1d20-4)[9]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-07 at 10:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure the god considers this an acceptable form of worship. =)

You hear nothing at the door, and upon opening it, find yourself back in the central hallway.

23. - Top - End - #173

Before Akon proceeds on with the corridor, he closes the door and also checks out the door above:
    Listen - (1d20+6)[7]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[9]
    Hide - (1d20-3)[-1]
    Move Silently - (1d20-3)[13]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

You hear nothing whatsoever. Upon opening the door at F9, you find an extremely tall shaft, eighty feet in height, ten feet east-west, and 25 feet north-south. Doors: 1 each to the east, west, and south. You see a small air elemental in B10, 5 ft off the ground.

Apparently, he's not surprised.

Init: (1d20+7)[25]

Edit: dear god, that's a high init roll.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-07 at 11:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Initiative - (1d20+2)[8]

It's going first anyways. Thank god for Combat Reflexes, I guess. I'll roll maneuvers anyways:

(1d5)[3]
    (1d4)[2]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's going to charge you, right off, so take an AoO.

27. - Top - End - #177

OOC: One AoO coming right up, yessir!

Attack - (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage - (2d4+4)[6]

OOC: Now I'm hitting air. *facepalm*

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Lol!

Slam: (1d20+7)[14]
    Dmg:(1d4)[1]

29. - Top - End - #179

Bah, stupid honey stops me from doing anything. Drop Guisarme, draw Moronstar, two-hand it:

Stone Bones
    (1d20+4)[19]
    (1d8+4)[10]

New maneuver: (1d3)[2]

Stat block:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15/15
    25% Fortifications
    Steely Resolve 5

Effects:
    None

Maneuvers:
    1. Crusader's Strike
    3. Stone Bones - Granted
    4. Douse the Flames
    5. Leading the Attack

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, that'll one shot 'im.

+300 xp.

Also, 140GP and a Potion of Bull's Strength to add to your stash.