New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Endless Dungeon - Akon

Wonderful. Akon is a rich mech! Alright, if I'm looking at the map correctly, the door upwards just leads back to the corridor so Akon goes just there and returns to the Badger-room to check up on the first room and enter (with preparations if it sounds like there's something more dangerous than a few Kobolds inside):

Listen - (1d20+8)[20]
    Spot - (1d20+8)[18]
    Hide - (1d20-4)[12]
    Move Silently - (1d20-4)[15]
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, you hear something inside, and it sounds bigger than the stuff you have been fighting.

Within this dark room(door at G5), you see a room only ten foot deep, but twenty feet wide. No light sources whatsoever are in this room, but you manage to make out the shape of an ape standing within it(G3). He hasn't spotted you yet.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Oh, you hear something inside, and it sounds bigger than the stuff you have been fighting.

Within this dark room(door at G5), you see a room only ten foot deep, but twenty feet wide. No light sources whatsoever are in this room, but you manage to make out the shape of an ape standing within it(G3). He hasn't spotted you yet.
    Uhm, if I hear something big and mean inside, I'm going to step back and cast Lesser Vigor on myself before opening the door. That's...it seems to be a v. bad idea to enter such a fight wounded. I'll enter 30 seconds after the initial listen; once I'm about to hit 15. And I'll enter with Caltrops in one hand and the Spear in the other.

EDIT: Actually, Spear in one hand and Extreme Wooden Shield in the other. That's better, less convoluted and so on.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 08:35 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Nifty. You get a surprise round, of course, due to him rolling abysmally on spot and apparently staring at the far wall.

5. - Top - End - #125

I'll start by rolling my maneuvers. There's a relevant chance I'll be using one on the surprise round, so knowing them can be all sorts of handy.

(1d5)[5]
    (1d4)[1]

Maneuvers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Crusader's Strike
    2. Charging Minotaur
    3. Stone Bones
    4. Douse the Flames
    5. Leading the Attack

6. - Top - End - #126

Fair enough, I would've really appreciated Stone Bones, but can't always get what we want. I'll smack it with just an ordinary attack:
    Attack - (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[6]

Then I'll roll for initiative and pray I'll win or this will really be tough:
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[10]

Also, the maneuver I'm granted at the end of Surprise Round:
    (1d3)[1]

7. - Top - End - #127

Btw, I just noticed that Spear is totally a two-handed weapon and I fail at this game forever. Alright, I'll just not wield the Spear at all and make that attack with Slam instead.

Hm, critical threat:
    Confirm - (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage - (1d4+4)[8]

Here's the normal damage:
    Damage - (1d4+4)[8]

EDIT: How the hell anyone thinks you can throw a spear with two hands is beyond me, but that's what the books say.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 08:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Huh...yeah, having actually thrown a spear in real life, I'd never considered the possibility of throwing it two handed. Setting for charge, sure, but throwing? Weird.

Anyway, you hit nicely, and confirm the crit for a total of 16 damage.

The ape starts to react, with fury in his eyes.

Init: (1d20+2)[13]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Ape full attack.

Claw: (1d20+7)[21]
    Dmg: (1d6+5)[10]

Claw: (1d20+7)[17]
    Dmg: (1d6+5)[9]

Bite: (1d20+2)[5]
    Dmg: (1d6+2)[3]

10. - Top - End - #130

Akon's AC is 22 courtesy of the Extreme Wooden Shield so none of that hits. Now I'll do what I should've done already last turn had I not been horribly confused as to what to do:
    Initiate Leading the Attack (I assume the "1 round"-Duration means "Until the end of my next turn"?).

(1d20+4)[21]
    (1d4+4)[8]

Also, new granted maneuver:
    (1d2)[1]

Stat block:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 22
    HP: 15/15
    DR: 2/Adamantine
    25% Fortifications
    Steely Resolve 5
    Attack: +4 for 1d4+4 at 20/x2
    Contingent Faith Healing on being knocked to unconscious

Effects:
    Lesser Vigor (6/11)

Maneuvers:
    1. Crusader's Strike - Granted
    2. Charging Minotaur - Granted
    3. Stone Bones - Granted
    4. Douse the Flames
    5. Leading the Attack - Used
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 08:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Looking rather battered and bloody, the frustrated ape redoubles his efforts to rend you limb from limb.

Claw:(1d20+7)[24]
    Dmg:(1d6+5)[7]

Claw:(1d20+7)[21]
    Dmg:(1d6+5)[8]

Bite:(1d20+2)[20]
    Dmg:(1d6+2)[7]

12. - Top - End - #132

Hm, one hit, to Delayed Damage Pool (after being deducted two points).

Akon tries to finish the job:
    Initiate Crusader's Strike
    Attack - (1d20+9)[29] (as per Leading the Attack +4 Morale-bonus, +1 from Furious Counter Attack)
    Damage - (1d4+5)[8]
    Healing - (1d6+1)[2]

13. - Top - End - #133

Wow, as much as the dice love Goblins, they hate this ape...
    Crit Confirm - (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage - (1d4+5)[6]

Also, Lesser Vigor + 2 from Crusader's Strike + 2 from Martial Spirit entirely empties the Delayed Damage Pool.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, he's quite dead. Extra dead, even. Your bad luck got pushed off on Demon's Eye...he almost died to a CR 1 mob due to equally bad rolls.

+600 XP

240 Gp found on the body.

15. - Top - End - #135

Spoiler
    Show
    ...I'll say this: I made a plan. I made a plan to beat the Ape I'm pretty sure I'm a big dog against. I was going to use Create Trap (yes, the level 1 Domain-spell from Kobold-domain; in Races of the Dragon) to create an automatically resetting Scything Blade Trap (with a disable switch, of course) under the ape so the damn thing would be forced to keep taking hits from that while I defensively fight with my Extreme Wooden Shield to avoid damage.

My alternative plan involved dropping a bag of caltrops on the floor and trading hits with it on a slightly more even basis by hitting, moving away (provoking) and repeating (and using a ranged weapon if it ever stopped following).

Instead, I rolled two criticals in three rounds with third one being an easy hit too. So much for those plans... Well, having that Create Trap in reserve doesn't hurt.

That's one rich ape. Well, now Akon is an even richer Warforged. He might as well toss the Morningstars somewhere soon as he hardly needs the couple o' coins. Actually, he does that right now. Keeps one though since apparently he lacks a one-handed melee weapon in his arsenal.

Alright, with Lesser Vigor on (on round 8/11, I believe), Akon races to the other door along the corridor quickly and with much less of a pretense for stealth; full speed movement, -5 to Hide & Move Silently, and only passive Listen & Spot:
    Spot - (1d20+8)[19]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[23]
    Hide - (1d20-9)[9]
    Move Silently - (1d20-9)[3]

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yeah, the reason I didn't put my Trap-plan into action was that Create Trap is a full round to cast, which is why I so hoped to win the initiative.

Of course, rolling a critical on the melee attack with full damage suddenly gave me quite the confidence/odds boost for actually beating the Ape in melee.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 09:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, good plan. You'd be amazed at how many people's plans consist of nothing more than "I swing again", no matter what happens. But yeah, a autoresetting trap? Incredibly useful, especially if you have to run from a pile of little guys.

Anyhoo, on to the next door.

The room is 15 ft wide, and 25 ft long, and is a bit damp and cold. It's quite gloomy and unlit. What's your form of light/vision?

Including a map for reference. The room just described is the far upper right of the map.

17. - Top - End - #137

Ooh, good plan. You'd be amazed at how many people's plans consist of nothing more than "I swing again", no matter what happens. But yeah, a autoresetting trap? Incredibly useful, especially if you have to run from a pile of little guys.

Anyhoo, on to the next door.

The room is 15 ft wide, and 25 ft long, and is a bit damp and cold. It's quite gloomy and unlit. What's your form of light/vision?
    Hmm, I have none yet. Though I'll just light a torch and stick it to some retainer or hole in armor or whatever if it's too dark to see otherwise.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 09:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely, this rooms has absolutely no light sources or light even trickling in through the doors.

Upon lighting a torch, you see both doors leading out aaand make a spot check.

19. - Top - End - #139

I thought I just made a passive Spot-check in case one is called for.

Aanyways:
    Spot - (1d20+8)[11]

EDIT: ...crap, I've been rolling Spots & Listens with too high bonuses for some time now. They should be +6, not +8... I somehow thought I have 18 Wis, but being Warforged, that's of course not possible. So uhh, deduct 2.

I'm pretty sure, given how high the previous rolls have been, that this would not matter. But man, playing multiple PbPs simultaneously is tough.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 09:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

No worries. In any case, you see nothing out of the unusual in the muck filled room. Edit, yeah, I'll go with passive spot...gonna be easier in the long run. You see a patch of mold in square C6, and a chest in A6.

Yeah, I tend to muddle things occasionally myself...between playing in two real life games and what, four pbp games...and five of those chars are wizards. Yeah, it gets confusing.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-05 at 09:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Umm, Akon doesn't trust living things and mold might be kinda-sorta living so he'll shoot it with his Sling, picking up some piece of rubble (I'm assuming they're abundant in a dungeon, especially moist room like this one?):
    Attack - (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage - (1d3+3)[6]

Assuming nothing notable happens, he'll search the room taking 10 (for 14) and then search the chest taking 20 (24) and in case nothing notable comes up, opens the chest. Assuming nothing notable still happens, he'll head for the door. If something notable DOES happen or is discovered, feel free to stop me at the first point; I'm just doing this to speed things up

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing notable happens when you shoot the mold, but when you come within 5ft of the mold(presumably on or before searching the chest), you take x non-lethal cold damage.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-05 at 09:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid typo.

x = (2d6)[3] nonlethal cold damage.

Since this happens precisely once per round, you can continue to move past it if you choose.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-05 at 09:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Swell. Akon gets away from the killer mold and provided it doesn't jump up and try to kill him, goes over to the chest and just searches it (E6-E8-A8-A6; AWAY from B6-D6). And umm, checks out the chest.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Chest is apparently untrapped, and contains 100 silver pieces. The mold, fortunately, stays put.

26. - Top - End - #146

Have there been any torches on the walls or something? Akon could go pick a burning one up and toss it into the mold (from the door) and see what happens.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed there have been. One in the starter room...and I think one more somewhere else.

Going with the "burn it with fire" plan?
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-01-05 at 10:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Indeed there have been. One in the starter room...and I think one more somewhere else.

Going with the "burn it with fire" plan?
    One can at least try. Akon doesn't especially enjoy being chilled to the gear. He is vengeful.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 10:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Cool, make a ranged attack, DC 5 to hit the square. (Amazing how easy tossing things are...I really should make an encounter consisting of nothing but kobolds with flasks of acid.)

30. - Top - End - #150

Indeed. Alchemist's Fire is a personal favorite low level toy. Though it does require a Ranged Touch. Hitting the square still does 1 point.

Ranged Attack - (1d20+2)[14]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-01-05 at 10:21 PM.