New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Underdark, Terror of Lowerdark [3.5e FR, providing the lore]

Since I don't know how to make 'spoiler' barrs (and I'd love for someone to teach me) I will post the 16 first.
    It can answer almost any question. I will edit this part later to harbor the sheets (after I get a hand on this tool) and links to Forgotten lore.

I can update any books, so don't worry if you are short on material. Most of times, a human/fighter can cause more havoc than anything else.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

- Forgotten Realms, 1372 DR *Year of the Wild Magic*
    More Horror and Nightmare with a little Hopelessness. Everything to make rewards more... rewarding.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I believe I did this set for 4 to 6 players. Any extra will be... used in time, on alternate paths, if I see the need to. Also, there is a chance I would be accepting vilains, trying to KILL the party. PM for anything you find atractive.

Otherwise, just join bellow. I consider chaos very fulfilling.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    The exactly thread I am posting this.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 16. If I see fit of background and power I will lower or highten that level (as I explain on question 14).

No epic progression will happen, don't get hopes so high.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Either choose 2 any Medium Magical items they can buy, or either roll 7 random Medium Magical items from the Random Magical Items table on DMG.
    Normal items are free. Buy whatever you feel like. Masterwork are costly, however. +500gp, not +100gp.
    Special materials count as *5 the price as well. Adamantine would be +5000gp for example.
    Also, read the SPECIAL ITEM section I will be posting bellow with the hooks.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not
    want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No homebrew. I gave thousands of classes, races and strange things for anyone imagination to run free for years. Choose one, be happy.
    I have no request. Do what you want to do. Try to not fight your way with the other players, but a little cannibalism is allowed for all that I care.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Again, no homebrew. I put no trust in those. Also, thousands of races... blah blah blah, pick one and be happy.
    No request for race either. Ghost, Illithid, Lich, Beholder, Dragon, Goblin, Demon, Devil, ShadowStuff people, Elven obscure subrace, undead obscure template... All okay with a good background to fortify the reasons and ideas.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Ability arrangement, as follow the builds bellow. Chose one and arrange at the stat you are more likely to be using;
    18–17–13–11–9–8 or 18–15–14–14–9–9 or 17–16–15–13–10–9 or 15–15–15–14–13–10

Other builds will be presented on the campaign settings, as I am tired of math now. Remember that a 16 level character gets a 4 ability points to distribute at his whim.
    Hit points are rolled, all dices. Bellow 50%, roll again. This will be hardcore, buddies.
    Also, Con and Wis IS important, take that in mind min/maxers.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    The entire adventure is about survival of the strong. If you believe good and hope can save the day, go for it. If you believe that you are better killing everyone to steal their boots, die in a fire. The game is about who survives, not who can kill each other, so always bear that a lone prey is an easy prey. Try to do whatever you want without steeping on someones toes too much. You have enough enemies as it is.

It's for the whole party to follow up and create personal relationship, too. Hatred, love, distrust, friendship, whatever... try to get close to each other, to know each other better. Try to care, beyond alignment or faith or whatever.
    After all, you are in hell. Hold your partner tight and bull rush the devil.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Level 16 of a single class would kill anyone but a monk or druid. Even fighters and wizards have no hope alone against the perils ahead.
    If you want to multi-class or take prestige classes, do so. I would like people powered up to face something dread and weak enough to need the help of his companions.
    No penalty, tho. It kills my braincells.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    The most important thing about rolls is; My word is law. If you score 20 I can say you missed, if you score 1 I can ignore it and say you'd hit.
    I will try to use this as scarcely as I can. I will not help nor hamper the party, but sometimes I would like things to run smooth.
    I use the wizards dice roller. Just CtrlC, CtrlV it and I will be happy.

Code:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
    (Understanding: I know some of you will cheat. I expect you do. You need to use all your resources to survive and I will weep no save-or-die death. Bear in mind that I will cheat too. If I think you must take some serious damage, I will score critical hits, make spells unsavable and kill without mercy. Try to not avert my gaze too much; the less I look to a player, the less I will interfere with GM power - which stands for GOD MODE. Also is good to know that cheating often attracts my death gaze more often.)

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Everything 'OPTIONAL' will be listed on books like Complete [Etcetera] or other sources.
    To gain my favor on any grounds, try to always write good backstory and flavor/feeling material. I will be more inclined to bear with homebrew when it is completely reasonable.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Try to not put your feet on the Underdark, one way or another, or at least very far from the east. Go pest the wizards that live by the coast, or something. I have enough hooks to pull the moon as a valid character.

Background is always requires and welcomed. I would very much like to know HOW did you get so powerful (level 16) and how did you manage to survive enemies, plagues, hordes and random encounters. If I find appropriate, I may change a character level at a blink; example: "Your backstory is the one of a powerful wizard, you be level 17 now, to get 9th level spells. Do not disappoint me, Fredo." or "You be fairly powerful leader. Get leadership for free. I will let you chose a cohort and 2 creeps to follow you. They will die, you will miss them, you can make a scene, and life goes on. You can even get another followers on the adventure."

The contrary can also occur; "You grew up in your mom's basement. You do not deserve level 16. Go back 2 levels. Retain feats and stats, take out HD, skills and gold." Which don't need to be bad, as you can grow faster and with more options.

The important part is, however, the ROLEPLAY. Everyone will do it, everyone have to do it. You are a powerful wizard? Act like one. You are Roseta, the Barbarian bitch? Act like one. Try to not piss off too many players, find allies within your boundaries, use excuses as "I like her hair" or "He doesn't smell of guano" and try to get along IN character.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    As noted before, many times, Roleplay. Puzzle and Hack'n'slash will also be fairly frequent. I would say everyone would Roleplay while Hack'n'slashing their way to victory, but that would sound silly.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Here goes Da List:

1 – All core books (PHB1 and 2, DMG 1 and 2, and all MM you can find. Psionics are... special. PM me.)

2 – Complete [etcetera] series (Complete Mage, Complete Arcana, Complete Adventurer, Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Champion, Complete Divine and Complete Psionics. Again, special. PM. I forgot abou Unhearted Arcana. It is in, people. Sorry.)

3 – All Forgotten Realms material (All books you can put your hands, or megabits, on. Be it core or not, Forgotten Realms are free)

4 – And ONE any book per player (I will let the players select a number of books equals to them, from where they can get feats, spells, classes and etc. Don't make me regret this decision, please.)

5 – Homebrew and Custom (I would prefer not. But you can always roll Diplomacy, if you want.)

6 - If someone does not have any FR core book or oficial addom, you can get any 4 books of your choice. Again, sorry for I coming to my senses now.

Ahhh much better, isn't it?

EDIT2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aparentely, I forgot that not everyone is as a poor sod as I am and don't see fit to acquire oficial things... unoficially. I beg my pardon and I will refrain from proposing that again. My apologies.

If someone has GitP homebrew that I can see and check it is also valid. Any book that I know about is also, too. But bear that this is an EXCEPTION. Guys like Rigatoni and Lasagna have enough material to fill a library and I am not inclined to let them use it. As I did in the past...

Besides that, I will be acepting any wish in the sake of a good character.

Players should read the above. Otherwise, skip it.

EDIT1: To clarify one or two things:

The rules are convenient to me, yes, but that means it will be for the players. I really am tired of players arguing about the need for rolls on many things, automatic success/failure and the famous "I rolled 1 on a climb check that can kill me. Can I roll again?"

That is why. That and because I want the game to run. For the love of god, if I have to create one sidequest for every time someone got himself dead or completely useless because of a 1 this would lead to nowhere, right? (lets take the example of a mage who rolled one on a burn save. That means your belongings burn. That means your spellbook burns. Not so fair, huh?)

I answer questions on the roll, so please ask me.

We will have one or two weeks to get this rolling. No more than 14 days, thought.

Players
    Ark7 as __________Julius, Spectral Paladin of Amaunator. LG
    DJDizzy as _______ Al'Hralirr, Illithid. LE
    Hyperion as ______ Khazar, Red Wizard of Thay.CN
    Rettu Skcollob as __Sereld, the Beguiler. NE
    VileLasagna as_____Halblion, Spectral highpriest of Amaunator. LN

Awaiting for Aproval (and sheet)
    Avaregedog - Sheet.

[Each character will have his own SPACE, but in time this will sufice]
    [Note: Try not to read the Illithids name. That way lies madness]

Music Every part of the adventure will have a music of it's own. Use them for flavor and feeling.

Still to come.
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-11-18 at 05:02 PM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns
    Underdark, Terror of the Lowerdark.

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

Amazing Archangel avatar by Potatocubed

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Underdark, Terror of Lowerdark [3.5e FR, providing the lore]

... Wow, that was huge. Beware for it has a 9feet threat area.

The core of the campaing will be posted here. From below and on only the campaing will matter. It will be the life and air we hold:

Thousands of years ago. In a time the might of Netheril floating cities was not even a dream. A time where elves had began to fathom magic and art. The Dragon races had leaved the spot for the new humanoid races. The powerful creatures of alien origin had began to understand this world. Fey was still a word of whispers and meaning beyond grasp.
    And yet, the Underdark was there. The times before all this, when the powerful God-Mother Tiamat created all 5 primal dragon kind. Once a time Asmodeus, the unquestioned Lord Devil of Hell, was still young. A time were Mystra was Mystril, and magic was wild and powerful. A time when Shar, Shauntea and Selϋne were the 'authority'. That time the Underdark was there still.

Today, it moved not even an inch. It shifted, it arranged itself, placed power here and there, but had not changed.

The Underdark is the most fearsome place of the entire Toril and even planes beyond. People who come from Sigil, Abyss and Hell find it a place even more alien, a place even their kind of people would not dare live. And yet, there is who lives there. Who could be so utterly insane, alien and twisted to actually chose this life?

There is no answer for that question, for living in the Underdark is not living. It is survival of the strongest, the fittest. Few can say they would acept even to travel its dark pits, but there are the insane and foolish brave.

However might be the reason for you to find this place remotely atractive, there is no such thing as rest. No thing as free will or hope. The darkness eat everything. Your emotions, your faith, your light, even yourself. Come closer, for you are warned: There is no soul on the stone, there is no light on the world Below, there is no air for you to breath, no food to eat and no water to drink. There is nothing. A vast amount of nothingness that want to digest you all. That you can't defeat, you can't harm, a vast darkness that was here before you and will be here thousands of years after.

You. Are. Warned.

*All players will start on a crossroad of the Lowerdark. I expect you are prepared to face things worse than your nightmares. You can use any hook bellow as you please, as they are a HELP guide, not a MUST BE requisite. Rules exist to be... broken. PM me anything you want for your character.*

Hooks bellow(I want the player to choose 1 fitting hook it can think about, or any variation. On your background history try to explore this hook and you will gain bonus benefits from equipment, contacts and allies. Or just enter the dark pits if you think you are prepared)

Spoiler
    Show
    1 - The Treasure Hunters; You killed dragons. You destroyed powerful mages. You created havoc on cities beyond imagination. You are a paragon adventurer; the ultimate explorer and treasure hunter.
    "We, from the Shadowmasters, want dearly you to find an artifact for us. I don't need to say that the reward will be... well, I don't get that much on my paycheck" the yellow-eyed stranger talks to you with a charmingly simpaty. He offers you whatever you need to follow the path to the Lowerdark in search of his quest and is willing to land help here and there.
    "We will inform you of your target. Seek our contact on the city Sphur Upra, there you will head for your true quest, my friend" he smiles to you, a friendly one "And be careful, I want you to come back in one piece, yeah?" he appears to be really concerned.
    "Here is the scroll-portal you will need. After teleportating inside, you can't get out. The scroll is warded with special magic, so think about it ok?"
    [The scroll is a minor artifact of the Underdark. The players who choose this hook will be abble to complete the side-quests; Madness, and The Hunt. Also, be creative, this is not a 'must be this way' hook. Use your wit.]

2 - The Overmind; You were contacted by a powerful entity known as the Overmind, a group of psionic powers you don't understand. They want you to go to the lowerdark trought a tunel revealed to your mind, close to the plateau of the easter land Thay.
    "Slave-mind Drows will take you to the meeting. Be not late, we are not patient." they say altogether, driving your mind apart with the sound of thousands of voices.
    "If you fail, or try to trick us, we will destroy all for what you care with a simple tought. If you help us and do as we say, we will shower you in gold and treasure beyond febble imagination" they stop. You are again in the control of your mind. Now you have two choices, and it is clear what you should follow. [Who accept this hook is under a Geas/Quest spell and will receive commands from time to time. "Do not disapoint us"]

3 - Red Wizards; Szass Tam, the powerful lich Necromancer, zulkier of Thay, one of the oldest human yet alive, even unliving. You are a Red Wizard or an afiliate of the powerful Thayan mages. The zulkier of Necromancy himself requested your services, and there is no greater honor, or choice.
    "You will be going trought the Drow city on this map. Do not be seen, slavers will gladly take you" the voice was cold but civilized.
    Szass Tam looks not even a little a Lich at all. His face is the one of a human, even a young one. "You can get any number of slavs, but keep it small. Atention can be your doom" he hands you a magic pouch full of gold (50.000gp) "This is a fraction of what you will get. Do not disapoint me, mortal" The last word evoked an image of a walking corpse, powerful. Wrathful. The air itself became cold ice around it and the words sounded once more on your head; "DO NOT DISAPOINT ME, MAGELING." fear crawling its way to your stomach.
    [Wizards of the Red Wizard class and mercenaries should at least try this hook. The rewards would be an easy way to grow in power, Thayan or not. Szass Tam will also employ a number of epic spells to help the party, but his patient is limited]

4 - Servant of a Dead God; It is known in Faerun that the carcass of dead deities of the material plane are forgotten on the forbidden pits of the Lowerdark. And that is your mission.
    Amaunator, the former god of Sun and Light, should be somewhere on the Lowerdark. If you are a follower of Lathander, the new god of dawn, or any god of the Tryade (Tyr, the paladin god, Helm, god of law and protection, or Torm, god of duty) you would be sent by your divine menssenger to "Seek Amaunator, the sunset is a time of darkness" the menssenger also tells grimly "You are needed there. Dark forces aproach".
    But, if you want to follow one of the dark gods, enemy of Amaunator: Cyric, god of lies and murder, Velsharon, god of Necromancy and Undead, or Bane, god of tirany, you would be sent by an unholly power to DESTROY Amaunator's body and leech the rest of its divine power and give it to your patron lord, or ascend to demigod yourself! Muahahaha
    [Clearly, the villain hook or the 'Good guy' hook. Try to twist it as you please, this one is very maleable]

5 - Custom; Send in your idea of a hook. Why are you on the Lowerdark?

YEAH! Braimstorm time, people. Send in requests, say what you think, want and let's get this going. I want to see IC as soon as possible.
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-11-14 at 02:03 PM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, so to make it official, here goes background info on me and Rigatoni

Books added to pool:
    Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Battle

(Also: You forgot Unearthed Arcana)
    (Also also: Could one of the next players pick Book of Exalted Deeds? Kthx)

Lasagna: Confessor Halblion -> Spectral Priest of Amaunator
    Rigatoni: Julius Aurimani -> Spectral Paladin of Amaunator

We're both members of the church of Amaunator from before the time of his fall. As of his death, we, along with many others, could not reach the afterlife and actually became anchored in the prime material by a vestigial remain of Amaunator. Our bodies perished and our souls were dragged to the lowerdark, to this godly essence. We DO know our god has fallen, but we do not know of Lathander. We believe Amaunator was mortally wounded and had to flee for his life, falling into a deep slumber while he recovers. During this time of his absence, Shar watches over the world which has now fallen into darkness and, though she does what she can, the time of bounty and balance will not return while Amaunator is not brought back. Our spirits are bound to Amaunator in this sacred task and while it is not fulfilled there can be no rest, for we are the very last shard of light in the darkness of the world.

There's probably not much Toril below us anymore and at that point probably the Plane of Shadow already starts mixing with the Lowerdark, so that it's much more like a series of arid deserts and canyons drowned in eternal night than the endless tunnels and caves of the Underdark far above. We live in a small town built around a temple underneath which lies sleeping Amaunator, healing from his wounds. As with all its inhabitants, the most of the city is not really physical and actually comprised of semi-solid buildings and objects, made up of soulstuff and ectoplasm. Because of the temple, there is actually day and night in the town, with the sun fading regularly in and out, always directly above the temple, but the skies are usually filled with dark clouds and nights are starless.

This fades less than a kilometer away from the borders of the city, with light giving way to twilight and eventually the smothering blackness. The members of the church are undying and zealous. They regularly conduct small crusades with parties of paladins and priests braving the darkness attempting to spread light and faith back into the world, the only way through which Amaunator can rise again and balance return. These crusades, albeit utterly futile, have varying degrees of success. The powers of Amaunator are terrible against the beings of darkness and as such most small creatures and groups that face a crusading party of specters stands little chance against the light and fire of the sun god. But crusaders as they are, it is their duty to take the battle to the ultimate challenge and such parties often find their demise at the hands and claws of nearly god-like creatures of the lower dark they repeatedly challenge such as guardian avatars of evil gods and primordial dragons that lie sleeping in the darkness.

Due to their inability to cross over, those that fall in combat once again manifest,eventually, on the temple's "medical wing", their zeal unabated and their will unwavered, always readying themselves for the next brave incursion into the mad darkness.
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-11-14 at 09:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

wow, I will have to think carefully on what I would like to do. I'm no FR expert and my knowledge is generally limited to books written by R.A. Salvatore, a few other novels by some other authors, and of course the game, Neverwinter Nights. I will have to consult with the other members of the super awesome fan club for this one. But no matter what I come up with I will write an appropriate backstory that makes sense.

EDIT:

how long do we have until decision time?

you can spoiler things by typing in [spoiiler] [/spoiler] with what you want hidden in between and of course without that extra i :P

edit edit: Lasagna is two people????? also I don't think you unlock books for everyone else. just one per person.

edit edit edit: are we using errata for classes and items?

edit edit edit edit: whats your stance on the monk's belt giving the ability to get wis to AC if you are unarmored?
    Last edited by Averagedog; 2009-11-14 at 09:57 AM.
    Benedictus, Venit in Nomine, in Nomine, Domini, Hossanna in Excelsis........

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Neverwinter Fights = NO, man... just... no....

Rigatoni was having a test and we decided on our char together, he'll show up soon enough, I'm just giving an advance on what we have since it's pretty much the same.

As for the books, yes once a player chooses a book it goes into a pool and it's "unlocked" for all the players, this was confirmed by Bavette via MSN.

Errata is good for you, Bavette has the final word, of course but yeah, since errata is meant to remove ****, I'd say it's fairly safe to assume them (but do make note of what you're using and blah)

6. - Top - End - #6

First of all, my name is exactly what you think it is. And calling yourself Irenicus would be cheesy man.

Second, I'm probably not going to submit a character. Seems like a fine game and all, but some of the things you ruled on is just a bit too meh for me.

The part about rolls, for example.

Good luck to you guys.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's currently very late (11:30 PM) here, so I will probably not get much done tonight. Anything I decide on before I get some sleep I will edit in. The stuff you've said in the opening post is a little... Well, unconventional, for me, so I'm not sure if I'll submit a character at all. Well, I'll sleep on it, if I don't decide.

Edit: Also; Tome of Battle? Bleugh.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-14 at 10:26 AM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

8. - Top - End - #8

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vile Lasagna View Post
    Neverwinter Fights = NO, man... just... no....
    what? do you think all my dnd experience stems from there? for shame sir for shame!!!! :P.

I have 4 years of dnd under my belt and I've hung around with some super awesome optimizers for the past 3 years. Some of their optimization skills rubbed off on me, but I'm not that good at doing so...

As for the die roller and its diclaimer I fullly accept and support everything you said. DMs reserve the right to fudge rolls for dramatic tension and possible epicness. The fact that it is possible to cheat with his die roller is a given, but there is always a certain amount of trust that goes into these games. The book selection is just though I kind of wish some things from different books of eberron was allowed, but I will work with what I have and most likely reserve the book unlockyness for either dragon magic, or unearthed arcana so I can do some level adjustment buyoff or maybe races of the wild for some catfolk racial bonus awesomeness. I'm not too familiar with the books of exalted deeds save for vow of poverty (which is a trap).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

No, no. It's just that NWN is one of those things you just don't talk about. Kinda like that party when you were really drunk and woke up at the police station dressed in women's clothing... you just don't go talking about those things, y'know...

AS for UA, I need to wait until he get's back from Dragon Age but I'm fairly sure that the fact it's missing from the standard books is just a typo....

10. - Top - End - #10

HalfOrcPirate

going to take me a little while probably will post everything tomorrow, today it's my real life dnd session and we tend to play all day long:

Khazar
    This is just the basic, still need to choose spells, assign skills...yeah tomorrow definitely.

Background: Underconstruction

going with the red wizard Hook of course.

2 medium magic items hmmm have to choose carefully.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

11. - Top - End - #11

SamuraiGuy

for starting equipment do we only have the 2 or 7 medium magical items? Or do we have wealth by level and the mentioned magical items?

12. - Top - End - #12

HalfOrcPirate

from what is written you can:
    a) choose 2 medium magical items (basically make whatever you want)
    b) ROLL randomly 7 medium magical items (following the guidelines in the dungeon master guide), sure you get more of them but you might end up having items that you can't use or don't need.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

looks like I need to wait for clarification.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

I am Rigatoni, pleased to meet ye all, handsome Sirs and Madams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rettu Skcollob View Post
    Edit: Also; Tome of Battle? Bleugh.
    I was the one who picked Tome of Battle. I find that book to be quite acceptable if you keep your maneuvers under level 6. I myself will not pick any above level 4, they're just accessories for me. (And almost all of my party-helping abilities come from maneuvers, in case it makes a difference.)

Quote Originally Posted by Averagedog View Post
    for starting equipment do we only have the 2 or 7 medium magical items? Or do we have wealth by level and the mentioned magical items?
    I hate magical items with a passion, at least the way they're presented in DnD 3.X. I told Bavette to choose for me and he just told me to roll randomly, but unfortunately I didn't get the specifics at the time.

Also: Yes, Unearthed Arcana is among the books allowed, or so he had said via MSN, but I don't think gestalt is incuded (again, you can TRY rolling Diplomacy on this one, but I wouldn't risk it).
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-14 at 12:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I ask my pardon for letting this go. I really should put a clock on my Dargon Age time. The adventure is getting to me... not good...

Well, to important matter now:

1: Items and wealth. I should had clarified it more... I was under preasure of breakdown. Sleeping going not so well since I became addicted to reading some novels. Anyway... here goes how it will be done.
    You can buy anything with your level wealth, just anything. EXCEPT for magical aparatus. Thus follow the rule 2 Medium at your will or roll 7 Medium on random tabble.
    Of course, you can always convince me to use magical item creation feats without the XP cost or that some magical equipment IS a necessity, like bag of holding for a 9 str thief. Aside from that, magical equipment will be plenty on the ongoing game, so you don't need to worry a little about not getting your hands on a +5 sword... because you will.

2: To people that is not versed on FR and don't really have any material about it I will let you pick any 4 books you want. This rule will be canon soon, so don't worry. However, I don't want any warforged, Changeling or special material from another world. This is Forgotten Realms and I would like to keep up the flavor.

3: Errata is okay, but not needed. If you find (per example) a mass teleport spell (best teleportation ever) on Magic of Faerun saying it is Transmutation, it can be a keeper. ALSO if you want the Conjuration version (not so good) you can have it.
    I do this because the game will have many cheesy unchecked things, like Illithids Planarshift ability to drag a grown up man with them (75 kg, I think) and even his Etherealness special ability (go figure, right?).
    Creatures never seen with powers unknown will also be present; some are updates from 2.0 (the horror...) some are interwebs material. I like to be picky. Hehe

4: About the belt on monks. Go for it if you believe in it. Try not bring a naked 60 CA battletank with 2d20+45 damage, but the rest is cool with me.

5: Tome of Weaboo Fightan Magic (Aka Tome of Battle) is NOT allowed. First, because its cheesy; second, because he does not conect with forgotten realms the way I would have it, denying me the power to use it on the campaign.
    Rigatoni's hold of it is... hard to bear, but a Nescessity. You guys could always kill a player while he is asleep if things leads to worse. I am not saying you should or would but you could, and that is the important thing. It is not a happy giggly game... there are hardness on life.

6: I am sorry, I should had said. UA is a must. I will update it asap.

7: Stop refering to me on third person, as if I was a ghost. I am not dead. Please, seriously. It creeps me.
    I should not be saying this... but you can cheat on me whenever you feel like it. It is PART of the game as it is and helps get what you want on a game that means you will have few things to hold for. There is no chance that I would refuse a build, for as crazy as it can get, if I hear a good history about it and it gets no trouble going on (yeah, no tiamat avatar, thank you).
    Hehe. Who is smart to figure it out on his own is smart enough to deal with whatever I have on my sleeves.
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-11-14 at 02:47 PM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

16. - Top - End - #16

SamuraiGuy

so that is.... all mundane equipment is scott free but we cannot have any magical items/weapons/armor EXCEPT for the 2 medium magical items.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Averagedog View Post
    so that is.... all mundane equipment is scott free but we cannot have any magical items/weapons/armor EXCEPT for the 2 medium magical items.
    Yeah, yeah, I know. It is kinda... brrrr.

But you guys WILL be finding plenty of enchanted objects along the way and i don't want anyone playing with a Rod of Anihilation, know what I mean?
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by BavetteOfAgony View Post
    5: Tome of Weaboo Fightan Magic (Aka Tome of Battle) is NOT allowed. First, because its cheesy; second, because he does not conect with forgotten realms the way I would have it, denying me the power to use it on the campaign.
    Rigatoni's hold of it is... hard to bear, but a Nescessity.
    If ToB is disallowed because it's "cheesy", then no spellcasting of any kind should be allowed, period. If ToB is not allowed for others, it should not be allowed for me either. And if it's allowed for me, it should be allowed for everyone. In my opinion, it's a matter of the player submitting his maneuver list to the Game Master for approval before the game starts - as should be done with spell lists and everything else.

Spoiler
    Show
    But on the other hand, I don't feel very comfortable when people read "Tome of Battle" and think about maneuvers from the desert wind, devoted spirit and shadow hand disciplines. Those three disciplines have a lot of supernatural material alright, but over 70% of maneuvers are actually "you pick your weapon and strike your target", plus an additional effect like disarming, ignoring damage reduction, dealing a little strength damage etc. I think someone who compares martial maneuvers to magic is completely DISRESPECTING the power of magic. It's like a mighty Phoenix getting envious of mere fish.
    "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am not saying others cannot use it.

I will REPEAT MYSELF then... You can cheat me. Do it. Choose the book, do a fightan mage. I am not god, not your father. I deserve respect as a GM but that is all. I am also mature, you will not offend me working on my back if that will be good for the game.
    Anyone should do what they hadve to do. Please, be smart. It is not a rule, you don't need to, but you would want to.

Also, people. This game is horror and nightmare. It is designed to be chalenging and very exhaustive, full of twists and surprises, also the good HnS.
    I like to spoil, so... There is going to be a fairly known vilain. Try to guess who and gain a candy.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

20. - Top - End - #20

Then I will follow your own advice. Here is my list of maneuvers and stances:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1:
    Vanguard Strike (s)
    Crusader's Strike (s)
    Charging Minotaur (s)
    Bolstering Voice (sn)

Level 2:
    Tactical Strike (s)
    Mountain Hammer (s)

Level 3:
    White Raven Tactics (b)
    Roots of the Mountain (sn)

Also: Disarming Strike, Wall of Blades and Mithral Tornado (yes, I took the Martial Study feat 3 times).
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-14 at 06:45 PM.
    "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm... I will pick lords of madness, simply because I can. And mindflayers ftw.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DJDizzy View Post
    I will pick lords of madness.
    DO NOT TEMPT ME, FRODO!!!!!

23. - Top - End - #23

Hmm... I spent a little while last night thinking up a character concept, and the idea I finally settled on was
    Spoiler
    Show

A Beguiler; a woman who as advisor, diplomat and consort had ruthlessly manipulated scores of powerful people in order to advance the cause of whatever lord or lady that was her patron at the time. As of recently, however, (as occasionally happens when under the command of the more renowned evil employers she has known) a band of good-hearted adventurers while in the Underdark stormed her masters tower, having heard tale of his malicious exploits.

It didn't bother her too much, since she supposed she could find a new master or mistress who had need of her talents easily enough. However, this time was different, in that she was in an inhospitable environment, and her talents were quite ill-suited to survival in such a place. A solution was easy enough, of course: Manipulate the very party that killed her former master into 'rescuing' her and taking her back above ground.

However; one member of the party, Kiras, the Bard, took something of a shine to her, even more than she was counting on. Cold-hearted as she was, while the party travelled up, dutifully delivering their passenger to the surface, he began to... Well, get to her. She found himself less cold to his honeyed words, less resistant to his advances. He began to fascinate her; as he shared much the same gifts as she, but was pure and innocent where she was tainted and ruthless. Though she would never admit it, she supposed she began to love him. That they would lie together before their journey was through was somewhat an inevitability.

In the morning, however, he was gone, along with his companions, to return to the Underdark. She had learned on the way that their toppling of her powerful patron was merely a diversion; that they truly sought to go to one of the most dangerous places on the material plane: The Lowerdark. Of what they sought, they refused to tell, perhaps because they believed her to be merely a girl, not guessing at her talents, or perhaps they simply dared not speak of it.

She went back to her old trade, of course, but for the first time in her life, she found herself... Longing. After a month, she could take it no longer, and resolved to follow him, soon finding herself at a crossroads in the most frightening place she had ever been. And, the consequences of her tryst may be more than she knows...

How'zat? That should cover some backstory and my plot hook, I'll edit in some more stuff later, probably.

HP (1d6+1): 5,5,7,5,4,5,5,7,6,5,5,7,6
    Rerolling three that were under average
    Rerolling 1 more

That makes 89 HP.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-14 at 09:46 PM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rettu, you are a genius, my friend!

It is beautiful and, as far as I am concerned, everything is quite peachy. You can bring a sheet as soon as you feel like it.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by BavetteOfAgony View Post
    Rettu, you are a genius, my friend!

It is beautiful and, as far as I am concerned, everything is quite peachy. You can bring a sheet as soon as you feel like it.
    Really? I'm glad you like it. It should give me a lot of fun RP opportunities, and you a lot of potential plot to work with. I'm working on the sheet as I type.

26. - Top - End - #26

SamuraiGuy

So far I want to do something with Kensai, though I don't know how the signature weapon would work with our current magical item restrictions.

edit
    are there multiclassing XP penalties?
    ]
    edit edit
    current tentative build, hexblade 3, fighter 2, kensai 10.
    race: probably human, I might go with something more exotic.
    plot hook: I will most likely go for the artifact one.
    background: I'll have to think carefuly about it to make some sense of why a hexblade would become a kensai without sounding like a cheesey rip-off of different fantasy heroes.
    Last edited by Averagedog; 2009-11-14 at 11:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Got a good chunk of the sheet done

28. - Top - End - #28

Also I'm something of a gambling man, so I'm going to take the 7 random medium items. Generating from the DMG 1 random magic item chart. It's easy to fluff as to how she got any that aren't very useful, I can just say she nicked them while on the way out of her former master's place.

Form of item
    Spoiler
    Show

1 (1d100)[63] Scroll
    2 (1d100)[12] Weapon
    3 (1d100)[34] Ring
    4 (1d100)[26] Potion
    5 (1d100)[94] Wondrous Item
    6 (1d100)[28] Potion
    7 (1d100)[36] Ring

Item itself

Spoiler
    Show

1 (1d100)[27] Level 3 Scroll, caster level 5
    2 (1d100)[42] +3 Weapon
    3 (1d100)[99] Ring of Major Energy Resistance
    4 (1d100)[42] Potion of Owl's Wisdom
    5 (1d100)[15] Bracers of Armour +3
    6 (1d100)[5] Potion of Reduce Person
    7 (1d100)[12] Ring of Protection +2

Now, do you want me to roll again to determine what specific weapon or scroll I get?
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-15 at 12:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Rettu Skcollob View Post
    Now, do you want me to roll again to determine what specific weapon or scroll I get?
    If so

Weapon
    (1d100)[76] Uncommon Weapon
    (1d100)[93] Dwarven Urgrosh (OH LAWDY)

Scroll
    (1d100)[97] Divine Scroll
    (1d100)[60] of Prayer
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-15 at 12:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

SamuraiGuy

wait... if we do roll randomly are we using the forum roller or the roller BavetteOfAgony wants for the game?