New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Underdark, Terror of Lowerdark [3.5e FR, providing the lore]

A golden-orange gout of flame appears for a split second floating above the creature, and suddenly a wave of heat and light assaults the onlookers as a raging column of red and golden flames furiously twists and expands, engulfing the creature

Spoiler
    Show

Empowered Flame Strike, 15D6 + 50% = Roll(15d6)+0:
    6,5,4,6,2,4,1,6,1,4,3,4,6,2,1,+0
    Total:55 + 55/2(27) = 82, 3/4 of that damage is actually HOLY fire damage, 82/4 = 20.5*3 = 61 holy damage + 21 Fire Damage.
    He IS entitled a DC 19 Reflex save to try and halve that, assuming he actually has any room to move. Regardless he has to make another reflex save DC 96/45 (depending on whether he passed the first save or not) to avoid catching holy fire, that will deal 1D6+1 holy damage per round unless it is put out
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-12-03 at 04:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Khazar looks at the creature that just busted out of his servant chest and sighted. Look like those gnolls weren't surprise free.

Halbion just shot a column of fire and He is curious to see what is left of the creature after such a fiery assault for the creature. The column of fire was impressive. A flame strike apparently.

"Well now what?"

Spoiler
    Show

Ready action to shoot a fireball if the creature is still alive of course will use mastery of shaping to not hurt anybody close to the gnoll. By default can it just be assumed that I will always use mastery of shaping to not hurt my teammates? that's the main reason for me getting this ability anyway.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

[I accept it Khazar. I will always consider your area spells to not affect the same squares as you and your allies. But you will have to specify in case of neutral people and enemies too, in the end your word will be the ultimate resource on this.]

@Everyone: After the cleansing fire of Halblion turned the body to no more than a black carcass of ashes there is no sign left of the monster. It completely disappeared. The Gnoll's guts are all burnt, a smell of flesh and putrid rot fills the air as do a strange acrid aroma of boiling flowers, sweet and delicate but good overall. If not by the stink of the Gnoll's carcass this fragrance would be quite enjoyable.

The sound of a screaming baby resonates once more, from no discernible location this time.

At this time can see the drow waking up and clinging to Halblions mantle with disgust. Her face becomes pale once she hears the creature crying once more and starts to scream in Elven Drow;
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Go away! What d'you want from me! Go away! I hate you!"

Between both screams you can't decided which causes more stress to your ears, for the infant voice is quite irritating but the drows cries are full of pain and regret, so pure and concentrated that the air itself freezes in a sluggish motion every time she screams, figuratively speaking.

[Roll Sense Motive DC 25, if someone doesn't roll I will consider you forfeited the action and failed.]
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns
    Underdark, Terror of the Lowerdark.

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

Amazing Archangel avatar by Potatocubed

4. - Top - End - #214

HalfOrcPirate

Khazar hears Kez scream and simply says.
    "No worries just let her calm down a bit. I would suggest to let her down for the moment."

He talks to her in drow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Calm down and tell me what happened with those creatures?"

Spoiler
    Show

Well not too bad for no ranks in sense motive lol
    sense motive:
    Roll(1d20)+2:
    18,+2
    Total:20
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

With no ranks in sense motive I am unable to pass regardless so, yeah

Halblion, speaks to Kez softly but sternly in undercommon
    "Calm down, dark one. While we were fighting the risen fiend a while back, you and the furred ones vanished. We arrived only to find you fallen and two of them dead, killed by the very same creatures you just heard. Know this, dark one: I do not hold any sympathy for your kind which shunned the light ages before the coming of darkness, but I shall not let this same darkness snuff the light of the living, even yours. Tell me, dark one, what happened to you and your companions?"

If she seems able to stand, I gently put her down
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-12-04 at 05:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

[Rolling Sense Motive: (1d20+21)[32] ] Julius approaches the drow and speaks in undercommon, with clear suspicion on his voice: "Something's odd, I think there's more than meets the eye here. Tell us what you know, drow." His tone is stern and sharp, unlike the comforting words of the cleric and the wizard.
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-12-04 at 07:19 AM.
    "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Everyone: You see the Confessor put the drow female on her own two feet. She is shaking, but besides from the apparent weakness, she is as adamant as ever with her scornful appearance. She speaks in crude accented version of Common: "No. She is dead and there is nothing to be done about it. I will speak of this no more, male, let me be. If you have need I will bring the Gnolls back to a resemblance of life, but otherwise I will do no more."

Khazar can feel her magical collar struggling against her will, she is as determined as ever to reveal nothing of this. She directs a scornful look at the red wizard, a meaningful one. Khazar can see this subject touches deeply on her, but cannot understand why.

@Julius: You see a flickering of light, and from it two empty sockets and a third bulbous eye. Your mind sorts out your senses before you start recognize what that was.
    Sense Motive:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature is ethereal, it is traveling around you. The flash was the magic it uses to do so, faint but yet perceptible. It is stalking, but yet not attacking.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

8. - Top - End - #218

Julius' gaze shifts uneasy and he immediately turns his head towards the eyes, shortly before they disappear. "Confessor, something in the mists!" The paladin draws his sword as his ghostly body starts to melt into the Ethereal plane, becoming gradually invisible to those in the material plane.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Essentia investments:
    ...Incandescent aura: 3 essentia
    ...Lay on hands: 3 essentia
    ...Cerulean will: 3 essentia
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-12-05 at 11:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

Halblion quickly follows, his light melding into the darkness as he becomes more and more translucid, fading out of view

Spoiler
    Show

I also shift my essentia from the spectacles to the Mantle of Flame. Attacking me in meelee results in 5D6 fire damage now (ref DC 18 for half)

10. - Top - End - #220

HalfOrcPirate

"I see, we won't talk about it for now. So what do we have here now?"
    Khazar waits to see what Halbion and Julius had uncovered this time. Something stalking us in the dark? that wouldn't be a surprise.

11. - Top - End - #221

Before vanishing completely, Julis manages to intercalate: "Wizard, to the Ethereal plane if you're able, or take care of things on this side! We'll be back quickly if we can!"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Halblion and Julius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a phantom presence, something that should not be here and belongs to anything else. Once Ethereal you cannot see where it is, but you feel it. It is definitely present around. Again, stalking.

@Everyone: You see another black gate. This one, smaller, about the size of a human. It opens from the same unimaginable universe from before and the figurehead, the creator of the dark monument, appears from it. He is now using less clothing, and is clearly waving all his arms as if they were a part of him. Another detail, and the most important, he is about a medium size, no bigger than a tall man, but far from 6 feet high.

In one of his hands is a shimmering disk that sparks with magic. It speaks in a thunderous version of common. "You actually did it. Perhaps the daemon was not meant to be that powerful, perhaps I was too fearful. No shall know. I will wait for the holy men to come back. We shall speak them." His expression is adamant and he appears as solid as rock and iron, spiced with something else; a faint aura that you cannot fathom the meaning.

[Note that on the Ethereal realms one can see and hear all that happens on the material. Think Frodo with The Ring on LoTR and you are on the right path, but instead of solid matter, the Ethereal plane is kinda... surreal. If Halblion and Julius want any real description I can provide.]
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sereld looks away with disgust at the gory events, and a flicker of very real fear crosses her face when the Paladin mentions that there was something watching them from the ethereal plane. That creature frankly terrified her, and the ethereal plane was one of her main methods of escape if things went awry. She silently hoped that they would be able to deal with it, whatever it was.

Her heart once more nigh skipped a beat as the strange creature - supposedly the creator of the strange monolithic obelisk, returned, and she almost looked prepared to flee, fearing he would summon another demon into their midst. As he made no aggressive action, however, she calmed down, and sat herself on the floor, feeling lost and alone, letting her emotions overwhelm her again.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

14. - Top - End - #224

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect evil while I'm in the Ethereal plane
    Frustrated for not being able to grasp any clue about the ethereal foe, Julius sighs and returns to the material plane, eyeing the owl-creature warily.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect evil after I go back to the prime material
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-12-06 at 04:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

Halblion fades into view once more, this time perilously close to the creature. As he does his radiance extends to full once more and he straights his arm taking his mace up so that its flames very nearly lick the creatures face.

"Thou shall know not mercy here, fiend. Begone lest I smite thee into oblivion!"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Julius: Detect Evil
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can detect an utterly evil core inside the Artificer, but somehow it is... deeper than you can gap.

@Halblion: The owl-man takes to your taunt with an immutable expression. With one of its bare hands he touches your very flames and light, extinguishing both. With another he touches your forehead and you are thrown 9 feet back by a powerful invisible force, only to stop at Julius' feet. "Here. You have power to command nothing, Halblion. Sit and listen, youngster."

The Artificer:
    Spoiler
    Show

@Everyone: The mysterious Artificer rose once more to speak now that both ghosts where back at their corporeal incarnations. "I am glad you are all here. I true am." You notice even when it speaks, its beak do not move, turning his face into a motionless statue of an expression.

"But you should be not. Travelers eventually ended here one day or another, and even if this place is my own domain, I was powerless to guide them outside, for that terrible creature had feasted on their souls and life for generations. I built the Dark Obelisk around him, but was not by none of my hands that it was written there what there was. I apologize, but I could not warn you what to do."

"Now, you destroyed it, you killed the only thing that had power. Here. Besides me. Now, I am 'it' and 'all'. Now, I am grateful. But I suspect you have questions. I answer them, to my limits. So ask. Yes?" Its eyes are hard, black disks of stone, you notice when it stares into the lot of you. All six hands are crossed on the chest, waiting; a patient display that everyone is allowed to take their toll on time.
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-12-06 at 01:16 PM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

17. - Top - End - #227

Sereld, still sitting, moves her feet out of the way just in time as the Confessor comes hurtling towards her. She leaps up, ignoring the thrown priest. She speaks with some difficulty, despite her usual way with words. "Do you know if... Has... Has Kiras passed this way?

Spoiler
    Show

Skim the backstory again if you can't remember who Kiras is =P
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Sereld: "I am sorry, young one. I know not of them one you speak off." His stone eyes reveal sadness, but hope. "However. I do have something for you. Here. Take it back." The Artificer wave a hand and a black hooded figure appears from another portal, a smaller one, which closes right behind it. When the newcomer removes its cowl you see your male Simulacrum, smiling as if he'd saw an old and longed friend. "Mistress..." it search for words without success, he than settle for a joyful grin.

@Everyone: "You have more questions. Yes? Ask."
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

19. - Top - End - #229

Julius steps forward boldly. "Aye, I have one, enigmatic sculptor. You spoke of an entity around which ye built the obelisk, to imprison it, I take. What was this entity, and what has happened to it now that the obelisk is no more?"

20. - Top - End - #230

Damn. She hadn't held out much hope, but it was worth a try. She considered describing him, but that probably wouldn't help. Still, she brightened slightly on seeing her Simulacrum once more. She'd put some serious effort into researching the spell to construct that, along with the cost needed to bring it to life. "Welcome back", she said, simply. She made a mental note to ask what had happened to it after it disappeared.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Julius: The owl-man answer "It was a spawn of hatred and wrath, things that I myself know not. When it had came, around 8 thousand years ago, it got lost on my maze and devoured it of all life. Thus why you see it barren. Years had passed and creatures started to lost their tracks on my domain as well. I was incapable to help them, for I knew not the beast that lingered. Thus why I built the dark monument you saw. It was meant to catalog the mortal names on it for I to use my power on them. The creature tried and corrupted it, foolishly losing its soul inside my work." He stops to ponder on something and starts again.

"When you didn't sign, your disrespect to me, misguided or not, released the demon's will. Enough to break it and shower anger once again in this plane. You, however, defeated it. It is gone. Forever. For I trapped its soul and you numbed its will and body. It will remains there until I craft a way to kill it. There. Your answer is."

@Everyone: "More questions. Yes? Ask."
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

22. - Top - End - #232

HalfOrcPirate

"Interesting, do you know the position of the cities in this part? I don't feel like walking around aimlessly or without knowing possible place to take a break." Khazar joins the conversation after seeing his companions ask a bunch of questions.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

"Ha, and to what trap do you desire to take us now, spawn of darkness? Begone, we follow the holy light of Amaunator, and it shall show us the way and purge the shadows before us"

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if he touched me, he took 5D6 fire damage and actually might be on fire
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-12-08 at 05:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You do not seem a creature of the lowerdark, from where, or more importantly, when do you hail?" Al'Hralirr asks eyeing the creature suspiciously. "And furthermore, what are you? or who are you, whichever might be more appropriate" A'hralirr adds some scorn noticable in his voice.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Khazar: "I do not. I do only know of my domain. Outside of it, you are on your own, but I can show you the safe way out." The Artificer is still adamant in his posture.

@Halblion: "I told you. Already. Confessor. Here. You have no power. Demand nothing that I do not offer you." Its avian beak shines as it opens in a menacing taunt.
    [Read the post #226 again.]

@Al'Hralirr: "You are smart, dark dweller. I am from thousands of years before even your people. Before even the Dragons. I am The Artificer, it is everything. You should know." It pauses to ponder on something far away. "The living. Once. Called me Architect. I helped The Law Incarnated build his Nirvana. Many other structures had received my touch. As well." Than again it pauses. "If that was. Your question."

@Everyone: "One. More question. I am busy, and you should go. Ask. Now." The ever patient creature show no signs it's in hurry, but it had been honest.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

"The light can never truly fade, fiend. As the setting sun, it merely goes elsewhere. Darkness only exists in the space light so mercifully share. I am light, fiend, and I can never fade. Make no mistake, for it is my nature to sear the darkness, and those that embrace it, cannot escape such fate, for they chose it themselves."

27. - Top - End - #237

Julius takes a few steps towards Halblion and places his hand on his superior's shouler reassuringly, then whispers to his ear: "Confessor, I understand the peril we're in, but you must remember your position and gather your composure. Right now, your wisdom is needed to guide us to safety, not the holy ministrations. If not you, who else can parlay with the creature on an equal standing?" [Listen DC 25 for the curious eavesdroppers]
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-12-11 at 07:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

[I know, I know. 8 days is a long run. Probably going to be one of some few last posts before the holidays so try and bear with me, people. Sorry for everything and thank you.
    Whoever is going away on the holidays, tell me on the OOC or here, no problem really. Just to organize my agenda.]

@Everyone; The artificer drops his shoulders in a sign that shows his disappointment with the holy man blind-sighted determination. "Very well." it says after a long pause "I will depart from you now. You should go that way." one of his slender fingers points toward a tunnel, much like another of the multitude of passageways on this cavern.

"I will see you safe on the realms. Also. Tell the first traveler that cross your path to walk away from his. He should follow you. I had been disturbed enough for an eon." The last part was meant only for the himself, but he cared not if someone else heard it.

With a weave of one of his hands, the six-armed creature dismiss you but do nothing to move, nor it appears to acknowledge the presence of you all.

@Khazar; Kez is no more trembling and her scorn is ever-present while she clings to Halblion's cape. Your familiar seems as uneasy and speaks to you trough your shared link;
    Spoiler
    Show
    We should leave, master. I don't think I want to stay here any longer.

@Halblion; You feel the feeling of magic returning to you, your flames and light reascend.

@Sereld; The Simulacrum clings to your vests, holding tight to it. "Let's go mistress... We will speak outside."
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you old one" Al'Hralirr says as he makes a gracious bow before turning to his newly found "comrades" "We should get going, the lowerdark is not a place where you linger in one place too long"

30. - Top - End - #240

"Agreed." Julius starts walking towards the pointed tunnel.