New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Heavy Metal sung in French.

For a good year or two, I've been looking for a heavy metal band with vocals in French. I've kinda been obsessed with the idea that if German is the language of anger, and metal sung in German sounds pretty good, what would metal sung in French, the language of love, sound like?

Anyways, I've been unsucessful in my search, so I come to you guys. Can you suggest any heavy metal bands that sing in French? I don't care whether it's death, black, industrial or any other type of metal or if it's European or Quebecois French. I'd prefer European French, but given I can't really speak the language beyond "Hi, my name is John. What's yours? Nice to meet you." and counting to 5, I probably won't be able to tell the difference .

So, any suggestions?
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Heavy Metal sung in French.

Five minutes on Wikipedia got me Trust and Lofofora.

Then I went onto Encyclopedia Metallum. Which indicated that there are 3,291 French metal bands. I guess go through the page and check out the ones with French names, as they'll be more likely to sing in French.

EDIT: And now I'm all distracted and going through bands from different countries. Iran has a lot of black metal bands. I rather like Myanmar's only metal band. And one of Iraq's two.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2009-11-16 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I offer Banane Metalik. They play a blend of a psychobilly and metal termed "Gore 'n Roll," dress up like demented surgeons, zombies and demons at shows, and sing exclusively in French. (The vid I linked has a lot of great concert photos of costumes, and one of their better songs.)

Top that.
    Last edited by Catch; 2009-11-16 at 07:38 PM.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Only French metal band I know is Fairyland, and they don't really count, as they sing in English, like many other European power metal groups.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Not only are many of the songs in French, my recommendation is also one of my favorite metal bands, period: Mirrorthrone.

Very, very good extreme symphonic metal.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2009-11-16 at 08:46 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pest Noire sings in french. Or should I say shrieks in french.

Czech metal can sound pretty brutal too.
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal