Page 1 of 53 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1561
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    -skimmer-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alpha Complex
    Gender
    Male

    Default ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Welcome to the 29th ABR Discussion Thread!
    Yes....I just made a new white text....Bear with it! Mwahaha....
    Because we used to burn through new ABR threads so quickly, we created the Discussion thread. All banter goes here, and all comics and non-canon kills go in the main thread. (see line below)
    If a bear chasing you, it helps a lot if you lie down and pretend to be dead....
    Avatar Battle Royale: Avatarmageddon is the current thread. Post artwork there.
    You'll serve as fresh meat for the bear while your mates safely run away....
    The ABR backup thread, is used in the event of Giantitp becoming untenable due to server issues or otherwise.
    Don't worry though....they won't get far....
    Trailer for the Fat Fish Fury plot by Kpenguin
    ....
    Trailer for ABR by Omicroncubed
    S'not elipsis....I made and I'll always make dots....Dots! No elipsis....
    Future Imperfect Trailer by Nameless
    Elipsis contains 3 dots only....
    The Avbaroy Wiki
    It looks like this: ...
    The world map of Avbaroy
    Really....find it on internet or something....
    The Novaris Wiki
    Ask your parents....

    Backstory Comics
    Or your neighbours....
    A Story of Death By Nameless (Currently inactive)
    A Tale of Two Fangs By Falgorn (dead) In your face Falgorn!
    Endless By Omicroncubed (active!)
    Forest Fire By CrimsonAngel (dead)
    Remember By Lyinginbedmon (active!)
    The Blast Dragons By Jasondoomsblade (dead)
    Well that was unexpected By Randomizer (active!)
    Search By Calamity (dead)
    My Name is Q By Q (finished)
    The Fire Within By Firedrake and Chriky (dead)
    Dawn of Yesterday by Fayt (On Hold)
    The Skornbail Incident by Shades of Gray (dead)
    Planum Commedia by Mad Mask(Currently inactive)
    They'll be glad.... Active/dead means the status of the comic, not the person.....Seriously....
    Previous ABR main threads
    Adults like kids who asks tricky questions....
    First ABR thread
    Second ABR thread
    Third ABR thread
    Fourth ABR thread
    Fifth ABR thread
    Sixth ABR thread
    Seventh ABR thread
    Eighth ABR thread
    Don't mind that angry faces and brooms in their hands....
    Previous ABR discussion threads
    Older discussion threads can viewed here.
    It's just their way how to say "hello"....
    Fat Fish Fury (managed by Mechafox, thankee kindly.)
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Last updated: 22/12/2008, with comic 1714.
    From now on, white text shall be called "WT"....
    The Pluperfect Plot (aka: Plot 3) (also by Mechafox)
    Why? Because I say so....
    Sorcerer Dude Strikes Back (managed by Szilard)
    Children don't speak from birth to be suddenly silenced by purple headed pixies....
    Sprite Wars Archive (managed by The Q)
    ....in contrary to conventional wisdom....
    The Journey Home (managed by Xartvye2)
    It's entirelly possible that pixies came later....
    FFF:Reboot
    Bears were obviously involved too....
    Soon to come: Fat Fish Fury 2: Future Imperfect archive. (Managed by Mad Mask)
    List containing most PCs participating in Future Imperfect
    The Organizational Chart of The Resistance
    There's no need to suspect me from "Bear overlord paranoia"....
    BRC's Guide to Joining ABR.
    I'm feeling well....really....thanks for asking....
    Banners
    All banners can be found in previous discussion threads.
    If you expected FI related joke title, then you should spend more time on IRC channel with us....
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2009-11-16 at 11:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    -skimmer-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alpha Complex
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Wow....my first thread ever

    Also, looks like main page needs some updating....I'm going to look at it later tonight....
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2009-11-16 at 11:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lyinginbedmon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Darlington, Co. Durham
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Got a thing for a bears there skimmer?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Airstrip One

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Got a thing for a bears there skimmer?
    Whenever no-one on the IRC is saying anything (i.e. most of the time), -skimmer- says that we're talking about bears.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Well, my monitor broke for no apprent reason, soI'm currently using the family's laptop. This means ofcourse, that I won't be able to post up any comics for now. Yayness.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Hey guys, I was thinking of doing a brief webcomic using the various ABR characters. Essentially, it'd be a retelling of Macbeth The Scottish Play , so the kids in my english class have something besides spark notes to use.


    A brief list of cast members so far

    Macduff- Almighty Salmon
    Lady Macduff & Son- Miscellaneous flying landfish
    Macbeth The King- Dunno about this one.
    Lady Macbeth- Threeshades
    Duncan- Lyinginbedmon
    The Witches- Kpenguin, SinisterPenguin, and Myself, since the three of us look enough alike.
    The Porter- Q, because they have similar personalities.


    Any thoughts?
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking of doing a brief webcomic using the various ABR characters. Essentially, it'd be a retelling of Macbeth The Scottish Play , so the kids in my english class have something besides spark notes to use.


    A brief list of cast members so far

    Macduff- Almighty Salmon
    Lady Macduff & Son- Miscellaneous flying landfish
    Macbeth The King- Dunno about this one.
    Lady Macbeth- Threeshades
    Duncan- Lyinginbedmon
    The Witches- Kpenguin, SinisterPenguin, and Myself, since the three of us look enough alike.
    The Porter- Q, because they have similar personalities.


    Any thoughts?
    I would have comments... But my school fortunately only forced me to read Hamlet so I got no idea what Macbeth's about
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I would have comments... But my school fortunately only forced me to read Hamlet so I got no idea what Macbeth's about
    It's about awesomeness.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    It's about awesomeness.
    Still don't like it.

    I really don't like Shakespeare nor any other writer of any time between the middle ages and the 20th century.

    Mostly because of school.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nameless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Still don't like it.

    I really don't like Shakespeare nor any other writer of any time between the middle ages and the 20th century.

    Mostly because of school.
    Reading Shakespeare is fun. Studying Shakespeare, or any other book or play is not. I like to read a book with out having to write an essay after.
    Dear Princess Celestia,


    You faithful student,
    Nameless

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Kopaka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The land of Nod
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Yeah.
    It's pretty sad, actually, the number of books that have been ruined for me by school...


    Current state of avatar courtesy of banthesun.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SinisterPenguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Hey Skim, in the OP, you might want to add (Managed by Tiffanie Lirle) next to the FFF: Reboot archive link. And put a space after the colon.
    Avatar Battle Royale:
    Spoiler
    Show


    ABR signature by Darklord Bright.
    __________________________________________________

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    -skimmer-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alpha Complex
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterPenguin View Post
    Hey Skim, in the OP, you might want to add (Managed by Tiffanie Lirle) next to the FFF: Reboot archive link. And put a space after the colon.
    It's already on my "to do" list. I'll fix it all at once when I get some time for it....thanks anyway....
    Spoiler
    Show


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Reading Shakespeare is fun. Studying Shakespeare, or any other book or play is not. I like to read a book with out having to write an essay after.
    While I certainly agree with the "study" part and find it utterly stupid that the teacher has to teach us about books they claim to be classics that everybody knows about and thus will talk about, I'm not so sure about the "fun" part; Hamlet is very political, written for the high class and ends with everybody dying without accomplishing anything, I can't sympathise with any of the characters and thus don't find it interesting...

    Why do you find it fun?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned
     
    The Gremlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    While I certainly agree with the "study" part and find it utterly stupid that the teacher has to teach us about books they claim to be classics that everybody knows about and thus will talk about, I'm not so sure about the "fun" part; Hamlet is very political, written for the high class and ends with everybody dying without accomplishing anything, I can't sympathise with any of the characters and thus don't find it interesting...

    Why do you find it fun?
    There's a reason you can't sympathize (spell it the AMERICAN way, dang you! )with Hamlet: In my opinion, he's just a little bit crazy. Of course, I've only read abridgments of the story and watched the beginning of the play, so maybe I'm not so reliable.
    Shakespeare does have some good writings, though. The Tempest is cool, from the abridgments I've read of it.
    Remember: Back then, good writings were very rare. Fantasy barely existed, there weren't many big novels, most of which were pretty unrealistic...
    When Shakespeare and Doyle and Twain and Schulz came along, people were dying for some decent writing/plays/cartoons. Amusing, realistic plays, realistic, interesting novels, cynical, actually funny, realistic cartoons...
    That's my exdplanation. Also, Garfield SUCKS!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Oh, Shakespeare found ways to put in humor here and there if you know where* to look... although a lot of it is lost on modern readers.


    *I am using the right form of where, right? It's been bugging my for ages, even though I'm a native English Speaker (From the Geeky state of Wisconsin, Birthplace of both D&D and, if I've heard correctly, Magic: The Gathering. It's probably the winters).
    Steam ID: Sir_Dwar_Of_Ebberon

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Darklord Bright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    A lot of shakespeare's humor is actually really raunchy. Read "The Taming of the Shrew".

    Petruchio: Come, come, you wasp, i’faith you are too angry.
    Katherine: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
    Petruchio: My remedy is then to pluck it out.
    Katherine: Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.
    Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
    Katherine: In his tongue.
    Petruchio: Whose tongue?
    Katherine: Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.
    Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail?
    Do the math.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-11-16 at 07:45 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Penguin in the Playground Moderator
     
    kpenguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    No new FFF:R comics for days... I am very dissapointed in all of us.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    There's a reason you can't sympathize (spell it the AMERICAN way, dang you! )with Hamlet: In my opinion, he's just a little bit crazy. Of course, I've only read abridgments of the story and watched the beginning of the play, so maybe I'm not so reliable.
    Shakespeare does have some good writings, though. The Tempest is cool, from the abridgments I've read of it.
    Remember: Back then, good writings were very rare. Fantasy barely existed, there weren't many big novels, most of which were pretty unrealistic...
    When Shakespeare and Doyle and Twain and Schulz came along, people were dying for some decent writing/plays/cartoons. Amusing, realistic plays, realistic, interesting novels, cynical, actually funny, realistic cartoons...
    That's my exdplanation. Also, Garfield SUCKS!
    Not really, I can sympathise (Well, my teacher kinda told us we needed to choose between British and American and you see... Sorry) with much crazier people. It's just that they all are high class and the plot is pretty political and I'm neither, The Lion King was a better story even though it's the same one since I understood their motivation and what the heck was going on.
    Oh and there's not a thing that's "rotten" in the state of Denmark, it is and has since the 11th century been A KINGDOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    *I am using the right form of where, right? It's been bugging my for ages, even though I'm a native English Speaker (From the Geeky state of Wisconsin, Birthplace of both D&D and, if I've heard correctly, Magic: The Gathering. It's probably the winters).
    Yes you are, "where" is referring to place and "were" refers to having been. "where" is one of the question words and they all start with "wh" as in what and when, that's the way I remember it at least.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ninja Chocobo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sydney

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    No new FFF:R comics for days... I am very dissapointed in all of us.
    Man I don't know about everyone else but I kinda wrote myself into a corner.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    Avatar by me.
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show



  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Man I don't know about everyone else but I kinda wrote myself into a corner.
    I just don't know what I'm supposed to do, my characters a professional mercenary and they don't chit-chat when on a mission (unless there's booze involved )
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned
     
    The Gremlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Not really, I can sympathise (Well, my teacher kinda told us we needed to choose between British and American and you see... Sorry) with much crazier people. It's just that they all are high class and the plot is pretty political and I'm neither, The Lion King was a better story even though it's the same one since I understood their motivation and what the heck was going on.
    Oh and there's not a thing that's "rotten" in the state of Denmark, it is and has since the 11th century been A KINGDOM



    Yes you are, "where" is referring to place and "were" refers to having been. "where" is one of the question words and they all start with "wh" as in what and when, that's the way I remember it at least.
    Funny you compare it to the Lion King, since the Lion King uses a lot of elements from one of Shakepspeare's plays (even some of the names).
    The Lion King sucks, though. King Lear and the Tempest are way better.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    There's a reason you can't sympathize (spell it the AMERICAN way, dang you! )with Hamlet: In my opinion, he's just a little bit crazy. Of course, I've only read abridgments of the story and watched the beginning of the play, so maybe I'm not so reliable.
    Shakespeare does have some good writings, though. The Tempest is cool, from the abridgments I've read of it.
    Remember: Back then, good writings were very rare. Fantasy barely existed, there weren't many big novels, most of which were pretty unrealistic...
    When Shakespeare and Doyle and Twain and Schulz came along, people were dying for some decent writing/plays/cartoons. Amusing, realistic plays, realistic, interesting novels, cynical, actually funny, realistic cartoons...
    That's my exdplanation. Also, Garfield SUCKS!
    Abridgments? Really, you've read "Abridgments". I fear for our youth. Hamlet is a very great play, and yes, he's a little bit crazy, but that dosn't mean his motivations are too outlandish to be understandable.
    If this be madness, there be a method to it.

    But seriously, see the plays (Done well), read the actual texts, not Abridgments. Then you can talk about Shakespeare.


    However, Garfield does, indeed, suck. Well, kind of. Individually, it's comics are mediocre, a nice bit of simple humor for the funny pages, nothing special, but good for the occasional chuckle over breakfast. It sucks when taken as a whole, at which point you realize it's formula is totally unchanging, that the comic could easily have been produced by a machine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned
     
    The Gremlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Abridgments? Really, you've read "Abridgments". I fear for our youth. Hamlet is a very great play, and yes, he's a little bit crazy, but that dosn't mean his motivations are too outlandish to be understandable.
    If this be madness, there be a method to it.

    But seriously, see the plays (Done well), read the actual texts, not Abridgments. Then you can talk about Shakespeare.


    However, Garfield does, indeed, suck. Well, kind of. Individually, it's comics are mediocre, a nice bit of simple humor for the funny pages, nothing special, but good for the occasional chuckle over breakfast. It sucks when taken as a whole, at which point you realize it's formula is totally unchanging, that the comic could easily have been produced by a machine.
    Not to mention that Jim Davis once admitted that he does Garfield solely for commercial purposes.
    You misunderstood me, though. I was saying that BECAUSE I've only read abridgments, I'm not reliable. I am fully aware of how much they can suck.
    I also know Hamlet has a method to his madness. I'm saying it's hard to sympathize with some of the things he does. If I'd killed someone by accident, I wouldn't keep up the crazy act.
    Hamlet is, by definition, a tragedy. It's only fair that everybody should go a bit crazy.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-11-17 at 10:12 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Not to mention that Jim Davis once admitted that he does Garfield solely for commercial purposes.
    You misunderstood me, though. I was saying that BECAUSE I've only read abridgments, I'm not reliable. I am fully aware of how much they can suck.
    Very well.

    Also, Davis is bland because he takes no risks. Look at Gary Larson, generally considered to be one of the greatest cartoonists. Read through the Far Side Gallery, which talks how he constantly got complaints and how his editors rejected Cartoons. He Danced on the edge (sometimes unintentionally) and produced greatness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Keveak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where we lay our scene
    Gender
    Male2Female

    smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Funny you compare it to the Lion King, since the Lion King uses a lot of elements from one of Shakepspeare's plays (even some of the names).
    The Lion King sucks, though. King Lear and the Tempest are way better.
    It uses elements of and is based of one of them, I presumed it was Hamlet and thus found it appropiate... I even mentioned them being the same story.
    I by the way like that movie, it was my favourite movie as a child and I still think it's a good movie

    @BRC: I read the Danish translation - Fortunately I don't need to know anything about the original as that's not the point of our English classes - which is a lot closer than abridgements and I still don't like it. I believe that qualifies me to say it weren't interesting to me, granted not many realistic stories are.
    But I know nothing of anything else by Shakespeare, what's Macbeth about for example?
    Last edited by Keveak; 2009-11-17 at 10:17 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Emphatic shirts.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

    At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

    An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    It uses elements of and is based of one of them, I presumed it was Hamlet and thus found it appropiate... I even mentioned them being the same story.
    I by the way like that movie, it was my favourite movie as a child and I still think it's a good movie

    @BRC: I read the Danish translation - Fortunately I don't need to know anything about the original as that's not the point of our English classes - which is a lot closer than abridgements and I still don't like it. I believe that qualifies me to say it weren't interesting to me, granted not many realistic stories are.
    But I know nothing of anything else by Shakespeare, what's Macbeth about for example?
    Reading the Translation would explain the problem. Shakespeare is great, not because of the Plots, but because of the writing (which is why it should really be seen, or at least heard). I could tell you the plot of Macbeth, but that wouldn't tell you a thing about why it's considered so great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned
     
    The Gremlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Very well.

    Also, Davis is bland because he takes no risks. Look at Gary Larson, generally considered to be one of the greatest cartoonists. Read through the Far Side Gallery, which talks how he constantly got complaints and how his editors rejected Cartoons. He Danced on the edge (sometimes unintentionally) and produced greatness.
    Like that Jane Goodall one...although that one had a happy ending.
    The trouble is, now all the single panel comic strips are ripping off the Far Side. Except Bizarro. Bizarro rips it off, too, but it rips it off well, it uses its own jokes, and it has a better art style.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    T-O-E's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Very well.

    Also, Davis is bland because he takes no risks. Look at Gary Larson, generally considered to be one of the greatest cartoonists. Read through the Far Side Gallery, which talks how he constantly got complaints and how his editors rejected Cartoons. He Danced on the edge (sometimes unintentionally) and produced greatness.
    Davies doesn't even draw his comics any more. He has a company of artists to illustrate for him.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2009-11-17 at 10:45 AM.
    'I shall be pleased and proud to have been the first who completely enjoyed the fruits of his writing, just as he wished, for my only desire has been to have people reject and despise the false and nonsensical histories of the books of chivalry, which are already stumbling over the history of my true Don Quixote, and will undoubtedly fall to the ground.' -Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote (Edith Grossman)

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Penguin in the Playground Moderator
     
    kpenguin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Oh and there's not a thing that's "rotten" in the state of Denmark, it is and has since the 11th century been A KINGDOM
    A kingdom is a state.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •