New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Well, incredibly militaristic dictatorships etc. can have the equivalent of military school, in which you get brainwashed to hate other countries and get physical training and conditioning for the army at a young age...
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    Well, incredibly militaristic dictatorships etc. can have the equivalent of military school, in which you get brainwashed to hate other countries and get physical training and conditioning for the army at a young age...
    Would your parents really have the choice if that was the case?
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-11-25 at 01:16 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #273

Hmm...
    I suppose not. Point.
    Kopaka in a former life.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

December is approaching... I wonder if Mad Mask will keep his word or if we finally declare FI dead for good

5. - Top - End - #275

Ok, so how about I scrap the first idea and make up a new one?

Her parents hoped for a boy, and when they got a girl, they hid her existance, ashamed. They hid her birth certificate, which she found later a week before she left. The name on it was smudged, so she had to look at the date of birth to figure out it was hers. When her brother was born, two years later, she resented the fact that her parents seemed to love him more. A month before she left, they got in a huge fight, and then he ran off to live his life somewhere else. Her family recieved word from the gold cloaks that he had given up his memories of his family, and that prompted her to swear vengence against gold cloaks. She was jealous of him, but he was still her brother, so she hated that he didn't know her or his family anymore.

Her parents blamed her for making him leave and forget them, so she ran away, taking the birth certificate. She now asks that everyone call her Smudge, because in her opinion, that's all her parents saw her as. A smudge on a birth certificate.

Is that better?

(Do NOT tell me that there were no birth certificates back then. They prove the parentage, country of origin, original name, age, gender, and all of those very important things, when people need proof. In CoN...they would probably have some kind of magical symbol on them only known by certain people, or something, that proved them to be official.)
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-11-25 at 01:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well I'll be sad if Mad Mask doesn't start FI. I made a ton of templets for it.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Oh that one, well the setting don't really fit neither military schools, school records nor any other modern education norm like "not hitting the students" in my opinion. It's a high fantasy early middle ages kind of setting after all.

The "spoilt brat who thinks he/she know best and have a chance of surviving with that attitude" character just don't see realistic in the setting to me.

Unless the person in question is politically powerful/royalty of course.

Sorry
    If they can exist in a medieval time period, they can exist in CoN. This seems fine to me, if, indeed, she came from a well-off family.
    X2 is a spoiled jerk (IC, not RL!), but he does fine. And military schools seem like they could fit the setting.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoomITP View Post
    Well I'll be sad if Mad Mask doesn't start FI. I made a ton of templets for it.
    Hey, could it be doomer! How are you doing?

And if Mask can indeed get FI rolling against all expectations, are you still up for that swordfight?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    December is approaching... I wonder if Mad Mask will keep his word or if we finally declare FI dead for good
    He pmed me recently asking about a few details he needed for his intro, so presumably he is actually working on it as we...type/read.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldPhoenix View Post

Her parents hoped for a boy, and when they got a girl, they hid her existance, ashamed. They hid her birth certificate, which she found later a week before she left. The name on it was smudged, so she had to look at the date of birth to figure out it was hers. When her brother was born, two years later, she resented the fact that her parents seemed to love him more. A month before she left, they got in a huge fight, and then he ran off to live his life somewhere else. Her family recieved word from the gold cloaks that he had given up his memories of his family, and that prompted her to swear vengence against gold cloaks. She was jealous of him, but he was still her brother, so she hated that he didn't know her or his family anymore.

Her parents blamed her for making him leave and forget them, so she ran away, taking the birth certificate. She now asks that everyone call her Smudge, because in her opinion, that's all her parents saw her as. A smudge on a birth certificate.

Is that better?

(Do NOT tell me that there were no birth certificates back then. They prove the parentage, country of origin, original name, age, gender, and all of those very important things, when people need proof. In CoN...they would probably have some kind of magical symbol on them only known by certain people, or something, that proved them to be official.)
    It is an interesting idea. Though you should figure out who her brother is supposed to be for some interesting character development.

"Who are you?"

"I'm your sister."

"Nope. Don't have a clue who you are."

"ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!"
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    It is an interesting idea. Though you should figure out who her brother is supposed to be for some interesting character development.

"Who are you?"

"I'm your sister."

"Nope. Don't have a clue who you are."

"ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!"
    Maybe it could be one of the characters that already exists.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it could be one of the characters that already exists.
    Possibly. Start asking around.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #283

Yeah, I'm always up for an epic swordfight!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Is that better?

Wouldn't that need international peace of some sort like in real life? Otherwise how do you trust that it's not a fake/part of the enemy nation's trap?
    Birth certificates did not exist in the 16th century, at least for commoners - subject of the current book I'm reading in school - as they were deemed too unimportant, only nobles had them, to show they were important, but there were little need for the information otherwise.
    This could easily work if she had some sort of noble status which could also explain the Goldcloaks' interest in her brother and why her parents wanted a male heir.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Wouldn't that need international peace of some sort like in real life? Otherwise how do you trust that it's not a fake/part of the enemy nation's trap?
    Birth certificates did not exist in the 16th century, at least for commoners - subject of the current book I'm reading in school - as they were deemed too unimportant, only nobles had them, to show they were important, but there were little need for the information otherwise.
    This could easily work if she had some sort of noble status which could also explain the Goldcloaks' interest in her brother and why her parents wanted a male heir.
    Arrrrrrgh. I thought this was Chronicles of Novaris, not 16th century europe.

I guess she could be noble. It would mean that she abandoned a life of prosperity and bias, for a life of poverty and rightiousness, which appeals to the part of me that loves good stories.

I was thinking more along the lines of each country having it's own special symbol, to tell who was truly born as part of their country and who was an imposter. It wouldn't have to be agreed upon peacefully, it could have been a case of "They know for sure who was born in their country, but any of them could pretend to be part of our country! Quickly, let's make a safeguard of our own!" Only one country would have had to come up with it for it to spread that way.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

Arrrrrrgh. I thought this was Chronicles of Novaris, not 16th century europe.

I guess she could be noble. It would mean that she abandoned a life of prosperity and bias, for a life of poverty and rightiousness, which appeals to the part of me that loves good stories.

I was thinking more along the lines of each country having it's own special symbol, to tell who was truly born as part of their country and who was an imposter. It wouldn't have to be agreed upon peacefully, it could have been a case of "They know for sure who was born in their country, but any of them could pretend to be part of our country! Quickly, let's make a safeguard of our own!" Only one country would have had to come up with it for it to spread that way.
    It couldn't possibly remain secret, though. All it would take would be to steal someone's birth certificate.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    It couldn't possibly remain secret, though. All it would take would be to steal someone's birth certificate.
    But if it was made with magic, it would be impossible to replicate unless you knew the specific spell that created that specific symbol. Even getting one letter wrong might mess up the whole affair.

It wouldn't be ink, I was thinking more along the lines of, like, an invisible mark that glows when you do the CoN equivelant of "Detect Magic".

(Or not, depending on what you guys decide. I don't want to hijack anything.)
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-11-25 at 04:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But if it was made with magic, it would be impossible to replicate unless you knew the specific spell that created that specific symbol. Even getting one letter wrong might mess up the whole affair.

It wouldn't be ink, I was thinking more along the lines of, like, an invisible mark that glows when you do the CoN equivelant of "Detect Magic".

(Or not, depending on what you guys decide. I don't want to hijack anything.)
    He meant that you could just kill a guy and take his an nobody would know.

Regarding your former comment on it not being 16th century Europe, I was just pointing out that in a time with better international and social relationships than the setting appears to have - It appears that a lot of factions see each other as lowly animals - it was uncommon, Sorry.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #289

If you've agreed with the general background, though, it would probably be easier to just go with it. I can't see birth certificates becoming a huge part of the story later on.

Ok, so here's the updated character idea:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cassandra "Smudge" Vainly
    EmeraldPhoenix

Race: Human
    Sex: Female
    Faction: None.
    Magical powers: None
    Personality: Snappy, quick to accuse, generally pessemistic
    Gear: She hides a knife in her left boot.
    Brief Bio: Her parents hoped for a boy, and when they got a girl, they hid her existance, ashamed. They also hid her birth certificate, which she found later, a week before she left. The name on it was smudged, so she had to look at the date of birth to figure out it was hers. Her brother was born, two years later, and while she grew up she resented the fact that her parents seemed to love him more. A month before she left, they got in a huge fight, and then he ran off to live his life somewhere else. Her family recieved word from the gold cloaks that he had given up his memories of his family, and that prompted her to swear vengence against Gold Cloaks. She was jealous of him, but he was still her brother, so she hated that he didn't know her or his family anymore.

Her parents blamed her for making him leave and forget them, so she ran away, taking the birth certificate. She now asks that everyone call her Smudge, because in her opinion, that's all she is, and all her parents ever saw her as. A smudge on a birth certificate.

Also, in the case of Weasel, Luke, and Dumbar...they actually ARE animals. Kinda.

If magic can be used to make marks, surely it can be used to make marks that dissappear when a specific person dies/isn't holding it/whatever.
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-11-25 at 04:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Hey, could it be doomer! How are you doing?

And if Mask can indeed get FI rolling against all expectations, are you still up for that swordfight?
    Don't forget about me.
    ____

21. - Top - End - #291
    Banned

WOOHOO! Just got the 50,000 word milestone in NaNoWriMo!!!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

What's that?
    ____

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    What's that?
    NaNoWriMo.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    WOOHOO! Just got the 50,000 word milestone in NaNoWriMo!!!
    I don't see what all the fuss is about, I completed mine in less than an hour.
    Here's an extract:
    a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a ...

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

If you've agreed with the general background, though, it would probably be easier to just go with it. I can't see birth certificates becoming a huge part of the story later on.

Ok, so here's the updated character idea:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cassandra "Smudge" Vainly
    EmeraldPhoenix

Race: Human
    Sex: Female
    Faction: None.
    Magical powers: None
    Personality: Snappy, quick to accuse, generally pessemistic
    Gear: She hides a knife in her left boot.
    Brief Bio: Her parents hoped for a boy, and when they got a girl, they hid her existance, ashamed. They also hid her birth certificate, which she found later, a week before she left. The name on it was smudged, so she had to look at the date of birth to figure out it was hers. Her brother was born, two years later, and while she grew up she resented the fact that her parents seemed to love him more. A month before she left, they got in a huge fight, and then he ran off to live his life somewhere else. Her family recieved word from the gold cloaks that he had given up his memories of his family, and that prompted her to swear vengence against Gold Cloaks. She was jealous of him, but he was still her brother, so she hated that he didn't know her or his family anymore.

Her parents blamed her for making him leave and forget them, so she ran away, taking the birth certificate. She now asks that everyone call her Smudge, because in her opinion, that's all she is, and all her parents ever saw her as. A smudge on a birth certificate.

Also, in the case of Weasel, Luke, and Dumbar...they actually ARE animals. Kinda.

If magic can be used to make marks, surely it can be used to make marks that dissappear when a specific person dies/isn't holding it/whatever.
    It can, but complex magic is, literally, deadly.

Anyway, lemme take a look...

Aright, that backstory seems fine to me, athough, playing a Godcloak myself, your automatic hatred of me, should we meet, is fairly unnerving...

And yes, generally only nobles keep track of family trees in any official manner. For them, it's actually important, and not mere sentiment. It's also not uncommong for people who are disowned to be removed from the tree, or crossed out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    It can, but complex magic is, literally, deadly.

Anyway, lemme take a look...

Aright, that backstory seems fine to me, athough, playing a Godcloak myself, your automatic hatred of me, should we meet, is fairly unnerving...

And yes, generally only nobles keep track of family trees in any official manner. For them, it's actually important, and not mere sentiment. It's also not uncommong for people who are disowned to be removed from the tree, or crossed out.
    Well, it would probably take considerably more finesse to attempt to duplicate the spell than to make it in the first place, which would make it harder to duplicate. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make, just something equivalent to arcane mark (I know that doesn't exist in CoN persay, but there's scribe magic, so...). Pretty basic spell to make, but managing to duplicate the exact spell would be incredibly difficult. If it wouldn't work for spirit casters, then maybe the various factions hire karrish scribe mages to do it for them? Requiring scribe magic would make it even harder to duplicate as karrish are far from the dominant race.
    Kopaka in a former life.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post

Maybe you could be my secret brother! Or something.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

No, his goldcloak gave up his emoticons emotions.
    ____

29. - Top - End - #299
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    Well, it would probably take considerably more finesse to attempt to duplicate the spell than to make it in the first place, which would make it harder to duplicate. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make, just something equivalent to arcane mark (I know that doesn't exist in CoN persay, but there's scribe magic, so...). Pretty basic spell to make, but managing to duplicate the exact spell would be incredibly difficult. If it wouldn't work for spirit casters, then maybe the various factions hire karrish scribe mages to do it for them? Requiring scribe magic would make it even harder to duplicate as karrish are far from the dominant race.
    Make one more D&D reference and I will stab you.
    For all you know, detecting magic is extremely difficult. I think it should be, since magical traces rarely remain long. It should be a difficult bit of magic, to help us overthrow the tyranny of D&D.
    /\Dude, that doesn't mean he can't have a brother.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-11-25 at 08:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

I just posted a preview of me and grim ranger's swordfight.