New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Reading the Translation would explain the problem. Shakespeare is great, not because of the Plots, but because of the writing (which is why it should really be seen, or at least heard). I could tell you the plot of Macbeth, but that wouldn't tell you a thing about why it's considered so great.
    Probably, but I still prefer a good plot AND a good writting.
    You wouldn't need to tell me the plot, I just wanned to know if it's another story about royal intrigies or actually interesting.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Probably, but I still prefer a good plot AND a good writting.
    You wouldn't need to tell me the plot, I just wanned to know if it's another story about royal intrigies or actually interesting.
    It's got very interesting Royal Intrigues. There's alot more Murder for one.
    It's really more about a noble man falling to villainy/insanity than anything.
    Plus, there's some fight scenes.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-11-17 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It's got very interesting Royal Intrigues. There's alot more Murder for one.
    It's really more about a noble man falling to villainy/insanity than anything.
    Plus, there's some fight scenes.
    You seem to have misunderstood, the royal intrigues are why I didn't like Hamlet.
    Are you describing Hamlet or Macbeth?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You seem to have misunderstood, the royal intrigues are why I didn't like Hamlet.
    Are you describing Hamlet or Macbeth?
    Macbeth.
    It's Royal Intrigues, but a very different sort, and only "royal intrigues" because they involve royalty. Hamlet is much more about deciding to Act, while Macbeth is about dealing with the consequences of actions.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Macbeth.
    It's Royal Intrigues, but a very different sort, and only "royal intrigues" because they involve royalty. Hamlet is much more about deciding to Act, while Macbeth is about dealing with the consequences of actions.
    Might check it out, but Shakespeare wrote for royalty so middle-class people like me hardly understand his motivation.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Might check it out, but Shakespeare wrote for royalty so middle-class people like me hardly understand his motivation.
    Actually, Shakespeare wrote for the lowest classes of society. Yes, the aristocracy sometimes attended, but most of his money came from the uneducated peasants, so that's who he was mainly writing for.
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, Shakespeare wrote for the lowest classes of society. Yes, the aristocracy sometimes attended, but most of his money came from the uneducated peasants, so that's who he was mainly writing for.
    Really? Guess England has a very different history than Denmark.

Anyway, things are different now and it's actually pretty pointless to discuss this. You got your opinion and I got mine, maybe I'll appreciate Shakespeare more when I get older, maybe I won't but that shouldn't stop you from finding it interesting
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Really? Guess England has a very different history than Denmark.

Anyway, things are different now and it's actually pretty pointless to discuss this. You got your opinion and I got mine, maybe I'll appreciate Shakespeare more when I get older, maybe I won't but that shouldn't stop you from finding it interesting
    Maybe. Really, the Language barrier will be an issue. I don't know how well Shakespeare translates (especially considering the number of words he made up), so if you're reading/hearing it in Danish, you'll probably miss out on the full effect.
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Maybe. Really, the Language barrier will be an issue. I don't know how well Shakespeare translates (especially considering the number of words he made up), so if you're reading/hearing it in Danish, you'll probably miss out on the full effect.
    I said history not language. The low class didn't get access to theater in Denmark before the late 19th century and Shakespeare lived way before that, I was assuming it was thew same in England but that appear to be wrong.
    The language barrier is annoying along with the Danish language so I usually watch everything in English, thus it shouldn't come up if I choose to read it myself.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Personally, I think the only way to properly translate Shakespeare would be to do it the same way the Asterix the Gaul comics are translated- By altering the wordplay involved to make sense in the Language (Since the puns both Gosciny/Udzero and Shakespeare rely on don't translate well). The problem is, well... Shakespeare was a Genius. Producing a play of the same quality in another language would require someone of equal genius, and true literary geniuses are in short supply.

Yes, I just compared a French Comic Book to Shakespeare. Yes, I know its probably a lousy metaphor. Let's move on.

Anyway, does anyone have "casting" suggestions? What about the roles of Banquo, Macbeth, and Malcom?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Personally, I think the only way to properly translate Shakespeare would be to do it the same way the Asterix the Gaul comics are translated- By altering the wordplay involved to make sense in the Language (Since the puns both Gosciny/Udzero and Shakespeare rely on don't translate well). The problem is, well... Shakespeare was a Genius. Producing a play of the same quality in another language would require someone of equal genius, and true literary geniuses are in short supply.

Yes, I just compared a French Comic Book to Shakespeare. Yes, I know its probably a lousy metaphor. Let's move on.

Anyway, does anyone have "casting" suggestions? What about the roles of Banquo, Macbeth, and Malcom?
    Thus why I prefer to read it in the original language if I understand it, currently working on French and hopes to learn Japanese someday

I can't help with the casting, sorry.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Thus why I prefer to read it in the original language if I understand it, currently working on French and hopes to learn Japanese someday

I can't help with the casting, sorry.
    If that was a reference to Asterix, don't worry, the translation for the Asterix comics is probably the best ever done for a comic book, as they create entirely new sets of wordplay (while keeping the plot itself intact), thus allowing the comics to still be funny in the half dozen or so languages they've been translated into.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    If that was a reference to Asterix, don't worry, the translation for the Asterix comics is probably the best ever done for a comic book, as they create entirely new sets of wordplay (while keeping the plot itself intact), thus allowing the comics to still be funny in the half dozen or so languages they've been translated into.
    Asterix is awesome, unlike a certain racist, sexist, highly unrealistic Belgian comic which shall remain unnamed.
    "WOO! I'm a reporter who knows how to use a gun! And who never actually does any reporting!"
    And Keveak, intrigue is awesome! Some of my favorite novels have a lot of intrigue (Ender's Game, Betrayal at Falador, etc.)!
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-11-17 at 06:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Hey everyone, I'm back from my weekend absense. What I miss?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

15. - Top - End - #45
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Q, you are very much the cool guy.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Hey I thought I dibsed this discussion thread?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Hey I thought I dibsed this discussion thread?
    People get upset when threads reach 50+ pages, they need to have another one immediately.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Asterix is awesome, unlike a certain racist, sexist, highly unrealistic Belgian comic which shall remain unnamed.
    "WOO! I'm a reporter who knows how to use a gun! And who never actually does any reporting!"
    And Keveak, intrigue is awesome! Some of my favorite novels have a lot of intrigue (Ender's Game, Betrayal at Falador, etc.)!
    Yup Asterix is awesome, never heard of the Belgian one though.

Depends on what intrigue, I get the whole his uncle kills his father and take the throne, but from there on it kinda lost me. Maybe it's just because of all the work the school forced us to do after and while reading it that I don't like it. Why did he question the ghost by the way?
    But as I said before; we all have different opinions and taste in books, why not leave it at that?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    People get upset when threads reach 50+ pages, they need to have another one immediately.
    Also, I think X2's already had a thread.
    Kev: You are lucky. It's really lousy. While Asterix makes fun of all races, including his own, it's all in jest. Meanwhile, ______ treats a lot of races as savage, or unreasonable. It also totally misinterpreted the Opium Wars to blame Japan.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Kev: You are lucky. It's really lousy. While Asterix makes fun of all races, including his own, it's all in jest. Meanwhile, ______ treats a lot of races as savage, or unreasonable. It also totally misinterpreted the Opium Wars to blame Japan.
    _____ got better later. Not up the Asterix's level of quality, but at least it got less offensive.

And the one you're talking about wasn't blaming the Opium Wars on Japan. If you notice, there were Western-Controlled zones (which came about as a result of the Opium Wars), and the League of Nations, which didn't come about until WWI.
    The Opium Wars were in 1839and 1856, between Britain and China, I'm too lazy to check my dates, but I think that was before Japan stopped it's period of Isolation.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-11-18 at 10:05 AM.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Asterix makes fun of nationalities and they have changed so much it's impossible to be offended.

What's their problem with Japan? Japan's cool, all my favourite comics are made there... And pretty much everything else in china.

And now I really want to know what that comic is called.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

It's called Tintin.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It's called Tintin.
    Oh that one, pretty boring in my eyes. Along with several others that hasn't been popular since my father was a child.

Our Society teacher actually used a page from "Tintin in Congo" to illustrate the racism going on in the 19th century.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

It's called Tintin.
    But TinTin is awesome (well, Asterix is more awesome, but whatever).
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    But TinTin is awesome (well, Asterix is more awesome, but whatever).
    Hisssss! *threatens with knife*
    Tintin is not funny, is completely unrealistic (so is Asterix, but Asterix does it on purpose, and it makes it funny, too), and to top it off is racist and disrespecful to other cultures. There is no comparison with it and Asterix.
    BRC: ACtually I've read the later books. They all sucked, too.
    And it didn't DIRECTLY blame Japan, but fro what I recall the Japanese were the ringleaders of the Opium problem, with England not mentioned. OIf course, this is just part of the anti-Japanese craze following WW II.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

*blank stare*
    ____

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hisssss! *threatens with knife*
    Tintin is not funny, is completely unrealistic (so is Asterix, but Asterix does it on purpose, and it makes it funny, too), and to top it off is racist and disrespecful to other cultures. There is no comparison with it and Asterix.
    BRC: ACtually I've read the later books. They all sucked, too.
    And it didn't DIRECTLY blame Japan, but fro what I recall the Japanese were the ringleaders of the Opium problem, with England not mentioned. OIf course, this is just part of the anti-Japanese craze following WW II.
    I'm not saying that book didn't blame the Japanese. Iwas saying that book isn't about the opium wars, which took place in the 1800's.
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

I'm not saying that book didn't blame the Japanese. Iwas saying that book isn't about the opium wars, which took place in the 1800's.
    It just seems to be a bit of an implication. I wouldn't know, though, I suck at history.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

I'm turning 13 this saturday!
    ____

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That's the statement I was objecting to. Yes the Book involved Opium, and War, but it in no way, shape, or form implied Japan caused the Opium Wars, being set long after the Opium Wars occurred.

But, that said, Asterix is still the better series.
    [/Center]