New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    Will this do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    first one produced moar lulage.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-11-20 at 08:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    first one produced moar lulage.
    What formula equals lulage, then?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Noticed how the stoic mute dancing was funnier than the crazy birdphobic yelling "Avian menace"?

Him hugging a bird or acting sophisticated would be funnier.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Producer of lulz > Giggle box = Lulage

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    There are a lot of different sides. There are the rogue kobolds, who are trying to keep the Creature safe (apparently for moral reasons), the 'main group', in which there is more than one goal, there is the Kalp guy and his companions (crap, I forgot the name of the four armed race! ), the Goldcloaks, who wish for the creature to be locked up, and the Alchemists' Guild (which may be a rival of the Goldcloaks).
    Right now, the only reason I can't make any comics is that Inkscape isn't working on my computer. I still have to use our other computer for comics.
    *Raises hand*
    There was also -skimmer-'s characters, who were about to be joined by Will, but -skimmer- still hasn't made a comic, and I don't want to godmod (and I probably wouldn't have time to make a decent comic anyway. Especially given how long it took me to produce two poor-quality comics)

So yeah, continue with whatever it was you're discussing now.

EDIT:
    Also, ">" isn't an operator. Just fyi.
    Last edited by Khaeta; 2009-11-20 at 10:46 AM.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    *Raises hand*
    There was also -skimmer-'s characters, who were about to be joined by Will, but -skimmer- still hasn't made a comic, and I don't want to godmod (and I probably wouldn't have time to make a decent comic anyway. Especially given how long it took me to produce two poor-quality comics)

So yeah, continue with whatever it was you're discussing now.
    That would be the Alchemist's Guild.
    CoN can't be dead. I refuse to allow a plot this awesome to die. It's going about as slow as FFF. DLB just needs to speed up the plot before I can make any move. We have to deal with the time warp first. I'm starting to regret making that comic.
    So, I've been thinking about making an NPC race. They're a subrace of kobolds, very closely related. There are a few differences:
    Their ears stick straight up.
    They have a golden stripe on their backs.
    They are much less intelligent (they are born with a brain defect which is vastly similar to autism, except it does not in any way assist their mental faculties, but rather degrades them, and it is definitely not high-functioning)
    And their metal magic is HUGELY stronger. This is actually a part of their defect. It takes up very little strength to use their magic, and they are all extremely proficient with it. However, they are very easily confused and have trouble speaking.
    These creatures (not sure what to call them)are not pitied by kobolds, generally, but rather feared. There are a variety of urban myths about them, and are believed by some to be animals that should be put down. Many believe them dangerous. Certainly, they are dangerous, but they are naive things. They usually spend their days wandering the caverns looking around for food (they are unable to stomach meat).
    There is also a very similar species which evolved nearby volcanoes. These things have INCREDIBLY hot body temperatures and therefore live nearby massive heat sources all their lives. These ones are believed to 'feed' off metal, which their bodies use somehow to make their bones and nails harder by far. They share the brain defect.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-11-20 at 11:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Just want to know why it's solely up to me to speed up the plot to a point you got it to... especially since one person does not a plot make.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just want to know why it's solely up to me to speed up the plot to a point you got it to... especially since one person does not a plot make.
    I should make a CoN comic, I even know what I want to happen (though it involves Mezos's characters, and he hasn't been around for some time) but I havn't been in the Comic making mood for some time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

So does that mean I'm allowed to make this characterI was thinking about?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So does that mean I'm allowed to make this characterI was thinking about?
    It means you're allowed to suggest the character you were thinking about. It's kind of hard for us to approve or disapprove or alter your character if you don't tell us what it is.

So Speak, good raptor, and we shall listen.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Alright then. This good raptor speaks.

Kerris and I had a pm conversation back a while ago. It involves where the creature ends up. My character wants the creature for his salvation, but everyone gets in the way of it.

Now for my character, this is what he's like.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is the only known race of his kind. He has monsterous strength that can break through walls and he's quite large himself. However, he has no access to magic and has a strange sensitivity to it. This sensitivity is that any kind of magic directed at him harms him regardless of intent. For example, if the kobolds use their metal magic in his direction, instead of affecting the metal, the magic will instead attract to him and burn him severly so long as the magic is focused. All magic works this way and they will cause him extreme burns that cause him alot of pain. He also is photosensitive to the same degree. Sun light will burn his entire body even more severily then that of most magic. Torch light also hurts him, but to the extent of a quick sunburn.

In short, he's incredibly strong and durable, but burns easily to any magic.

His motive for the creature that I was thinking of results in the hope it can help him. I was thinking that for some bizare reason, the creature's magic has no effect on him what-so-ever. He can exist in close proximity to the light it generates and the magic radiation without suffering any harm. He hopes therefore that this creature could be used to generate a tolerance over his vulnerability, allowing him to walk onto the surface world in the sunlight, which is all he really wants. He will be extremely possesive of the creature in the mean time and will look for someone who can experiment to make his dream become a reality.

He is completely independant of anyone else's goals, so he is loyal to none but himself.

Now is this an acceptable character?

12. - Top - End - #102

Hmm.
    I might actually be for this, because it sounds kinda like a PC controlled villain. Which has pretty high awesome potential.
    BUT
    Where did it come from?
    How did it get like that?
    How/where did it encounter the creature in the first place? (it knows the aura doesn't affect it, so presumably it's met the creature)
    What's its reaction to others interfering with its quest for the creature?
    Kopaka in a former life.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    Hmm.
    I might actually be for this, because it sounds kinda like a PC controlled villain. Which has pretty high awesome potential.
    BUT
    Where did it come from?
    How did it get like that?
    How/where did it encounter the creature in the first place? (it knows the aura doesn't affect it, so presumably it's met the creature)
    What's its reaction to others interfering with its quest for the creature?
    1) No one really knows, not even itself. But I maight come up with a reason later that reveals itself overtime.
    2) Same as reason #1
    3) I was thinking that it encounters the creature the first time and it notices the creature is expelling magic that doesn't harm it. It will easily understand that this magic doesn't harm it when everything else of similar nature does.
    4) It won't tolerate it. It will risk it's life to get the creature out of anyone else's custody. But he won't be stupidly suicidal about it. For example, if someone takes the creature out into the daylight, he will wait for a cloudy night and come after that person to reclaim the creature.
    4b) Also, he might take a main character hostage so they can use their magic to experiment on the creature.

14. - Top - End - #104

Hmm...
    Sounds like a PC villain to me.
    I think a vote is in order. Yeah or Nay? (or however you spell it)
    Kopaka in a former life.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not very partial to not knowing anything about what he is, it seems like it'd be too easy for another Ogre Incident to pop up.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion Thread XXIX: Where we talk about bears....

Kerris and I had a pm conversation back a while ago. It involves where the creature ends up. My character wants the creature for his salvation, but everyone gets in the way of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is the only known race of his kind. He has monsterous strength that can break through walls and he's quite large himself. However, he has no access to magic and has a strange sensitivity to it. This sensitivity is that any kind of magic directed at him harms him regardless of intent. For example, if the kobolds use their metal magic in his direction, instead of affecting the metal, the magic will instead attract to him and burn him severly so long as the magic is focused. All magic works this way and they will cause him extreme burns that cause him alot of pain. He also is photosensitive to the same degree. Sun light will burn his entire body even more severily then that of most magic. Torch light also hurts him, but to the extent of a quick sunburn.

His motive for the creature that I was thinking of results in the hope it can help him. I was thinking that for some bizare reason, the creature's magic has no effect on him what-so-ever. He can exist in close proximity to the light it generates and the magic radiation without suffering any harm. He hopes therefore that this creature could be used to generate a tolerance over his vulnerability, allowing him to walk onto the surface world in the sunlight, which is all he really wants. He will be extremely possesive of the creature in the mean time and will look for someone who can experiment to make his dream become a reality.

He is completely independant of anyone else's goals, so he is loyal to none but himself.

Now is this an acceptable character?
    Have you mentioned this idea before? I seem to remember something very similar.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

17. - Top - End - #107

So, wait, I'm in...right?
    Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-11-20 at 05:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show

Hrmm, I dunno.
    Technically, Magic is supposed to be pretty rare in Novaris. The exceptions are Karrish magic (Which can't be targeted at individuals, and therefore wouldn't effect your character) and Kobold magic (which, considering the fairly isolated nature of Kobolds, isn't that likely to come up). This means that your character is basically unstoppable for most of the world during the nighttime.

Also, please, please, please don't go with the "Mysterious Origin" back story. Okay, let me clarify, having a mysterious origin is okay, but the back story should be more than "Mysterious Origin". Even if nobody knows where the character comes from, even if the character doesn't know, you should. It's just lazy otherwise, and you have too many unknowns.
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldPhoenix View Post
    So, wait, I'm in...right?
    RIGHT?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Producer of lulz > Giggle box = Lulage
    That's not an equation. It just says that giggle box and lulage are the same and Producer of lulz is bigger than them.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he meant producer of lulz^giggle box=lulage?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Kopaka: Alright. I guess we should get the vote on if we need it.

Darklord Bright: What exactly is an Ogre insident?

Keveak: Yes, I mentioned it in the last thread.

BRC: I understand that. However, even moon light and starlight harms him somewhat. He's only really safe on dark cloudy nights. And even then he's not. Bonfires and torches still harm him as well. Besides, he's going to be encountering main characters who most of them seem to have magic themselves.

As for the mysterious background, I'll get right to work thinking up one.

23. - Top - End - #113

Awesome comic, KP. I like the Vendettaplanemobile.

And I think SP's "Bees. My God" line may just become a running gag.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Kopaka: Alright. I guess we should get the vote on if we need it.

Darklord Bright: What exactly is an Ogre insident?

Keveak: Yes, I mentioned it in the last thread.

BRC: I understand that. However, even moon light and starlight harms him somewhat. He's only really safe on dark cloudy nights. And even then he's not. Bonfires and torches still harm him as well. Besides, he's going to be encountering main characters who most of them seem to have magic themselves.

As for the mysterious background, I'll get right to work thinking up one.
    So any form of light harms him? Well that will greatly limit his interactions with other characters.
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    So any form of light harms him? Well that will greatly limit his interactions with other characters.
    I know. But he can withstand dim light for a little while. Starlight harms him like a sunburn to a person with no tan. About 30 minutes and the sunburn comes, and it gets stedily worse with prolonged exposure. The moon shortens this span. So he normally is holed up in a maze of tunnels that he digs out himself mostly.

26. - Top - End - #116

RIGHT?
    And everyone is ignoring me.

I drew weasel.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by EmeraldPhoenix; 2009-11-20 at 10:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The fact that everyone is ignoring probably suggests that no one is against it and you're free to go your way about it. That's how I take it atleast.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2009-11-20 at 11:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

The fact that everyone is ignoring probably suggests that no one is against it and you're free to go your way about it. That's how I take it atleast.
    Someone acknowledges my existance! Yay!

I'm going to go figure out where CoN left off and maybe start on a introduction comic. Unless I get too lazy or someone objects. Yeah.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to go figure out where CoN left off and maybe start on a introduction comic. Unless I get too lazy or someone objects. Yeah.
    I know how to start off my introduction comic. I'm just waiting for everyone's consent to it.

30. - Top - End - #120

Thou art acknowledged. Think of it what you will.
    Kopaka in a former life.