Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [GURPS 4e] Banestorm mock combats

This is a separate thread for the players in my Banestorm game (see sig). The aim is to run through a few mock combats for the benefit of those in the group with little or no GURPS experience. The purpose is to give a feel for how combat works before their actual PCs are on the line for real.

Although I expect there will be some Q&A here, the actual combats should be "IC", so I'm creating this thread in the Ongoing Games (In-Character) section. If this is deemed incorrect, then my apologies and naturally I expect the mods will move it.

EDIT: Mock Combat 1 finished in 15 seconds.
    EDIT: Mock Combat 2 finished in 3 seconds!
    EDIT: Mock Combat 3 finished in 8 seconds.
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-12-01 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Mock Combat 3
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS 4e] Banestorm mock combats

First up will be NamelessArchon's character, Eniarch.

Mock Combat 1

Right then NA, the thick black border on the map is stone wall, and should be considered impassible. Your opponent is wielding an axe, and appears to be unarmoured.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map link. (I haven't linked directly to the image, as the way Windows Live works, the image URL can change/reset dynamically and therefore the link would break).

Unless you'd like to enter the arena with a rock in hand, we can assume that you have your staff Ready for combat from the start. You should note however (this also goes for the other staff-carrying PCs too) that if you enter combat unexpectedly, your staff might not be Ready, as I would assume that it normally carried one-handed for walking.

Eniarch will go first. Any questions?
    GURPS 4e Banestorm fantasy game: recruitment thread | OOC thread | IC thread | mock combat threads I & II

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Unwitting Pawn View Post
    Eniarch will go first. Any questions?
    Sure:

1. Magic states that at a skill of 15, spells permit a move of one yard per second while Concentrating. (Magic, p. 8, skill of 15) Is that in addition to the one-yard step maneuver permitted by Concentrate regardless of skill level, or is that indicating that spells known at 14 or lower do not permit the step to be taken at all? If the former, can this movement be split, in case it should matter? (eg. move+concentrate, step vs. step, move+concentrate)

2. I'd assume the thug also has his axe ready for use and thus in front of him and obvious: What sort of axe is it, as the question has immediate practical value?

3. Will you have the Valkyries standing by so I don't have to wait in queue?

--

Eniarch tightens his grip on the staff as he strides to take his place in the sands and prepares to personally test his convictions about the hereafter. He nods grimly to his opponent to begin, and then drops immediately into the harsh, guttural words of a spell, all the while circling left and backing away to preserve distance between himself and the thug clutching the axe...

[OOC: Which spell will vary on the answer to #2, which should be obvious if his opponent also starts in the Ready position.

If it's a one-handed axe, Spasm will potentially cause him to drop it, and would be finished at the end of my turn, if I understand right. If it's a two-handed axe, it won't drop the axe (I assume that it would unready it) so I'd be using Rooted Feet instead.

Eniarch will Concentrate, while stepping/moving back and to his left.]

Spellcast: [roll0]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

/sigh. Forum roller parses the rolls on preview and edits them to another tag (roll0) instead of just rolling on submit only. Mea culpa.

Spellcast: (3d6)[13]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessArchon View Post
    1. Magic states that at a skill of 15, spells permit a move of one yard per second while Concentrating. (Magic, p. 8, skill of 15) Is that in addition to the one-yard step maneuver permitted by Concentrate regardless of skill level, or is that indicating that spells known at 14 or lower do not permit the step to be taken at all? If the former, can this movement be split, in case it should matter? (eg. move+concentrate, step vs. step, move+concentrate)
    Interesting. My prior exp with Magic is limited, so I looked this up (thx for page number) and compared it to the section on Concentrate (p.B366). Page 8 of Magic would imply to me that a step is only possible whilst Concentrating on a spell at skill 15+ and that no step is possible with skill <15. (It would seem very odd otherwise, because that would mean that a wizard Concentrating on a spell s/he knows well could walk twice as fast as when they are testing any other mundane mental skill.)

2. I'd assume the thug also has his axe ready for use and thus in front of him and obvious: What sort of axe is it, as the question has immediate practical value?
    Yes, assume the axe is ready. The thug is wielding it in his right hand. It would appear to be a one-handed axe bigger than a hatchet, and invariably a weapon rather than a simple tool.

3. Will you have the Valkyries standing by so I don't have to wait in queue?
    I didn't know that Eniarch was that sort of heathen

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's first turn

Eniarch's use of the words seemed correct, but perhaps his mental control wasn't quite effective enough at that distance. Whatever the reason, the spell failed.

Spoiler
    Show
    The range to the target (5 yards after the Step) means that effective skill reduced to 10 (Magic p.11) and the roll of 13 was not low enough, sorry. The failure will cost 1 point of energy, reducing Eniarch to 10 FP.

As for the movement, I hope I've understood correctly and you wanted what GURPS calls a sidestep left (which is what I've done on map). If not I can change it.

---

Axe Thug's first turn

The thug lets out a wordless roar, and charges at Eniarch. His axe swings wildly, passing through the space where Eniarch used to be, as the man closes the distance dramatically.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move and Attack manoeuvre (up to full move, -4 to skill, max level 9)
    *clatter*
    The dice roll is 12, which fails.

---

Map updated.

---

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Cursing mentally, Eniarch whirls away from the thug, this time circling to his right and away from the hand with the axe. I'm not going to get many more chances at this. The words of power rise again, a bit more hurriedly this time.

[OOC: Spasm, Range 1]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcast: (3d6)[11]
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-16 at 08:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

[OOC: regarding movement]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I kinda had to guess what you wanted movement-wise, as I'm afraid your dramatic description isn't technically precise enough. It would help if you put specifics into the spoiler, such as:

Step into front-right hex and turn left one facing.

---

Eniarch's second turn

Eniarch feels the power reach out towards the all-too-close thug, battling against the other man's vigorous lifeforce. It is a mere fraction of time, but one that seems to move so slowly. Then it is done; the targeted hand twitches, and the axe falls to the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The spell succeeded, but is Resisted by the target's HT in a Quick Contest.
    *clatter*
    The dice roll is 10, however the margin of success is less than 3 (11<14), so the spell wins.

IIRC that should also cost 1FP.

---

Axe Thug's second turn

With an angry grimace the thug lunges towards Eniarch, arms outstretched. By pure accident, Eniarch steps on the thug's right foot, causing the man to mis-step slightly and foiling his attempted grapple. Eniarch realises that his opponent's guard is momentarily open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack manoeuvre
    Step into close combat and grapple
    *clatter*
    The dice roll is 17, a critical failure in this instance.
    *clatter*
    Guard is dropped: all Active Defences at -2 for next turn. This is obvious to nearby opponents (i.e. Eniarch).

---

Map updated.

---

[OOC: next turn]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: even though the Thug's attack failed, you are still in close combat (range C). This means that your quarterstaff is severely hampered at this range. Should you want to use it, I would advise taking a Step backwards as your movement before attacking. OTOH, if you wanted to touch him for some reason, then now he's close enough to try

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Ah. More than one error made there. Let's see how far he can reach without that axe in his hand. Eniarch spits an altogether different hex at the thug, as though he were making a physical riposte, then steps nimbly away from the clumsy grapple.

[OOC: Stepping backwards, same facing, Eniarch casts Rooted Feet]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[10]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's third turn

The spell seems to have held the thug's feet in place, for the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    The casting succeeds, but Rooted Feet is Resisted by ST (again a Quick Contest). This costs Eniarch 2 energy IIRC, leaving him 7 FP.
    *clatter*
    The dice roll is 12, a failure in this case.

As the spell description states, thug will be at -2 to any melee attack he can make, and dodge is halved. This last for 1 minute, unless the target breaks free.

---

Axe Thug's third turn

"Come here you coward!" The thug screams, as he tries in vain to move towards Eniarch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although the spell is not explicit on this point, I would consider attempting to break free as equivalent to a Ready manoeuvre
    Attempt is QC of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
    *clatter*
    The dice roll 13, another failure, which was to be expected (but seemed IC for a person finding their feet stuck to try at least once really)

---

Map updated.

---

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Plant your feet, pivot from the hips, swing with the body, follow through... Recalling the meager lessons at staff combat with which Claudius provided him, Eniarch whips the staff around to deliver a blow to his opponent.

[OOC: Attack, then a backwards step out of the thug's reach if the staff has sufficient reach (IIRC, Staff is reach 1,2 but IDHMBWM) and otherwise no step - I don't want to be out of staff reach.]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[9]
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-17 at 01:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's fourth turn

Eniarch's staff swings round at the thug, who attempts to ward the blow with his left arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, the staff has Reach 1,2 so you can take a Step. That said, you'll want to avoid be trapped against the wall with such a long weapon, especially not get stuck in the corner.

Try to specify whether thrust or swing in your OOC details - I'm assuming the latter in this case from your IC text. Also, we're using hit location rules, so remember to specify if you are aiming for a location other than the torso - which I'll assume otherwise.

*clatter*
    The Parry roll is 7, which fails. As we are using hit locations, you now have the choice of whether to redirect your attack onto the left arm instead of the torso. Decide which you want to hit, and roll damage. Then I'll continue

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Swing, yes and at the torso - a left arm hit on a right handed thug using a one-handed axe doesn't gain me much.

Also, swing would be the general default for me - thrust damage is less and Eniarch isn't a very physically strong guy anyway, so I'll have to take my points of damage where I can get them! I meant it to be a swing, so we're kosher there, and it would be a rare case where I tried for a specific location with Eniarch's rather low staff skill!

2. The step would be back and to the right to the full hex that's "in the corner". Sure, I don't want to get cornered, but this arena is too small to risk casting a missile spell and then taking a hit if the thug gets free and rushes me, so adding more distance with a move action later isn't really an option here.

The staff slams home in the thug's ribcage with a meaty thud, and Eniarch pulls it back to ready it for another strike, grimly aware of how confined this space really is.

[OOC: Damage roll, staff swing]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d6+1)[3]
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-17 at 02:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

[OOC: damage spoiler]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crushing damage has x1 multiplier (normal damage) and the torso has no special rules, so that's 3 HP injury to the thug. Shock (p.B419) reduces DX and IQ by -3 (equal to HP lost, max. of -4) on his next turn only. The hit is not strong enough to cause Knockback (p.B378).

---

Axe Thug's fourth turn

Reeling from his wound, the thug appears to "turtle" as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Defence (Double) manoeuvre
    (Shock penalties specifically do not affect defences, but cover pretty much everything else. Because of this, it is often a good idea to spend a second on the defensive - and the rulebook suggests this)

---

Map updated.

---

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch supresses the urge to grin as the tables of the combat shift. Now let's see if we can make an end to it. 'Fiat lux', so to speak. He makes a quick ritual gesture, and his hand begins to glow with a brilliant light...

[OOC: Casting]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunbolt, skill 15, no step, 3 points of fatigue.

Spellcast: (3d6)[10]

This just gets the missile spell cast and that the actual attack will occur next turn, assuming the roll doesn't botch.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's fifth turn

The luminous energy forms exactly as Eniarch expects.

---

Axe Thug's fifth turn

Watching the wizard's actions, the thug struggles again to move, but is stuck fast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again the attempt to break free is a Quick Contest of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
    *clatter*
    The dice roll is 12, a failure.

---

Map positions are unchanged.

---

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch points a finger at the thug, and aims carefully. "I fancy myself a scholar of sorts. Let us test the old adage and see whether or not light makes right."

[OOC: Aim]
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no dice rolls to aim maneuvers, this is just to get the benefit of the accuracy bonus (+2) on the Sunbolt spell when I release it. Since the thug can't hit back, and can't free himself and attack me in the same turn, he's gotta hope that I miss, graze him with a low damage hit, or that his reduced(!) dodge score is sufficient to get out of the way of what's coming.

Edit: Also, I'm probably going straight to a very bad place for that pun.
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-17 at 05:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Also, I'm probably going straight to a very bad place for that pun.
    I enjoy puns - I am guilty of them myself IRL too often. That said, I much prefer them OOC than IC. The latter risks breaking the fourth wall. Around the tabletop puns are often part of the spontaneity, but also the line between OOC and IC is more blurred. Using PbP, the division between the two is much more clearly demarcated and as such, IC puns carry a greater risk of bursting the bubble. ...So, I've phoned ahead for you. They are stoking the fires in preparation for your arrival.

N.B. Don't need to add anything IC for Eniarch really for this turn, so I'll just skip to the thug.

Axe Thug's sixth turn

Unable to move from where he stands, the thug prepares himself as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Defence (Double) manoeuvre

---

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-17 at 07:12 PM. Reason: map

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The energy discharges from Eniarch's extended finger with a soft crackle, audible over the breathing of the combatants, and a blindingly bright beam of coherent white light no thicker than a finger rips through the still air above the arena.

[OOC: Attack]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunbolt, using Innate Attack (Beam) at skill 12. Prior turn was spent aiming, ACC on the Sunbolt is +2. The thug is 2 hexes distant.

Your advice on the subject of puns is hereby noted. Mea maxima culpa. I will refrain once Eniarch is in the "real" world.

(3d6)[15]

Edit: (...and I can't believe I missed after all of that. /sigh)
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-17 at 09:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's seventh turn

The thug squints as the bright flash misses by mere inches...

---

Axe Thug's seventh turn

...then he jumps up with a roar, breaking the ephemeral bindings that held his feet in place. Eyes firmly on Eniarch, he edges backwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    another Break Free attempt - Quick Contest of ST-5 vs 10<14 (original spell roll)
    *clatter*
    A roll of 4, normally a critical success. However, as a regular success was not mathematically possible, in this instance I judge nothing extra to have happened on a roll of 4.

The thug takes a Step backwards.

---

Map updated.

---

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch grimaces momentarily at his failure to hit an immobilized target a scant six feet away. Mortifying. Once again his hand flickers through the abrupt motions of a spellcast, and the light begins to form in his palm again. "The shadows of oblivion are waiting for one of us. Shall we press your luck?"

[OOC: Spellcast]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunbolt, 3 points of fatigue, skill of 15.

(3d6)[7]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's eighth turn

Again, the creation of the luminous bolt goes exactly as Eniarch expects. Yet, such constant manipulation of powerful forces is starting to exhaust the tiring wizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, this now drops Eniarch down to 1 FP. This is below the 1/3 of FP threshold for him (p.B426). Therefore, his Move, Dodge and ST are currently halved (rounding up).

Eniarch's adjusted stats:
    FP: 1
    Move: 3
    Dodge: 4
    ST: 5

---

Axe Thug's eighth turn

The man drops hurriedly down on one knee as he reaches for the haft of his weapon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Change Posture manoeuvre
    The thug is now kneeling

---

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-18 at 08:29 AM. Reason: map

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch extends a finger towards the thug before discharging the spell at his kneeling foe.

[OOC: Attack]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunbolt, 3d, range 2, Innate Attack (Beam) of 12

(3d6)[14]

(Edit: The dice, they do not love me anymore. /sob Also, this is really going to hurt.)
    Last edited by NamelessArchon; 2009-11-18 at 09:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's ninth turn

The bolt of light passes between the thug's legs as he stands up, scorching the ground behind him.

---

Axe Thug's ninth turn

Eniarch's opponent glances momentarily at the burn spot on the ground as he tightens his grip on the axe in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready manoeuvre (axe)
    Move from kneeling posture to standing as a Step

---

Map updated.

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-18 at 09:39 AM. Reason: map

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch tightens his grip on his staff, the wood rough against his palms. "Come on then, let's finish this."

Spoiler
    Show
    First, I'd assume that although the Sunbolt spell requires only a finger to discharge, using it unreadies the staff. Eniarch will therefore ready the staff and take a step to his front-right. (The hex immediately above Eniarch's position on the map.) If that's not the case, let me know, and I'll change this action accordingly.

Secondly, since the minimum ST of a staff is 7, and Eniarch's strength is temporarily 5, he also loses two points off his effective weapon skill and loses one point of parry, dropping his parry score from 10 to 9.

Finally, wake up the Valkyries. I think Eniarch's got one more trick up his sleeve, and if that doesn't work, it'll be a fait accompli.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's tenth turn

[OOC: I've nothing to add IC]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magic rules are a bit vague on the sort of thing. However, I'm inclined to the same conclusion: a missile spell makes the staff un-ready.

In one respect the staff should be treated like any other weapon or tool in hand that is not connected to the spell being cast - it will be impacted by the restrictions of your skill level in the spell (Magic p.8-9). So for instance, if you had a skill level of 9, you could not cast the spell at all without both hands empty. For a skill of 15, you have more flexibility. However, I do believe that you would need to free up a hand in order to create a missile spell and then aim it properly.

Wielding a pole or stick enchanted with the Staff spell however, would change all that IMO as it then becomes a tool for spellcasting, rather than a hindrance. This would allow a fledgling apprentice of skill 9 to have both hands full, and is perhaps as useful as the range reduction benefit.

---
    Axe thug's tenth turn

"Sure!" The thug yells, as he charges forward and brings the axe swinging down towards Eniarch. As aggressive as his attack is, the thug's axe clears the quarterstaff but doesn't quite connect with the wizard, missing Eniarch by a whisker.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Determined - up to half move, +4 to hit)
    *clatter*
    The dice roll 16. Not quite a critical fumble, but a failure nonetheless.
    *facepalm*

And yes, AoA means that the thug gets no active defence.

---

Map updated.

---

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Steeling himself for the pain to come, Eniarch makes a gamble. This is going to hurt. He utters the words of a spell while stepping away, a familiar burning sensation beginning to creep through his muscles as he sacrifices his own life energy to fuel the casting.

[OOC: Spellcast]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rooted Feet, Skill 15, burning HP instead of FP!
    Spellcast: (3d6)[9]

Since (if this sequence of events fails) someone will second guess it, allow me to explain:

With a strength of 5, Eniarch inflicts 1d-3 swing damage (thrust is even worse) with the staff, and does so on a skill of 9. His odds of landing a hit on this thug are thus rather poor (about 40%). I could take an all-out attack (determined or double) and attempt to improve the odds, but while landing a single hit is made more likely, the damage it would deal is probably insufficient to incapacitate his foe, and the fight will be over the turn after this, as Eniarch can't defend after an AOA, and that axe will end it fast.

However, if the root takes effect, the thug is once again out of reach and can be tickled to death with staff hits or a HP fueled sunbolt (maybe). Wish him luck.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's eleventh turn

Powering magic with one's own lifeforce is a risky gambit. In this instance, one which has not paid off. Eniarch's magic fails to hold the thug this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    As before, the spell is resisted in a QC by the thug's ST.
    *clutter*
    The dice roll is 7, a success by 3. This is enough in this case, as Eniarch's spell roll of 9 succeeded by the same amount (skill of 15, -1 for range, -1 per HP burnt = effective skill of 12) and the spellcaster's margin of victory must be greater in order to win.

Eniarch's adjusted stats:
    HP: 8
    FP: 1
    Move: 3
    Dodge: 4
    ST: 5

---

Axe thug's eleventh turn

With another roar, the thug swings his axe back and forth at Eniarch madly as he steps after him.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Double)
    *clatter*
    Two attack rolls, a 6 and a 12. One success.

A defence roll is required for Eniarch (which I'm assuming will be a Parry)
    Roll that please and I'll continue

---

EDIT: Map now updated.

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-20 at 11:19 AM. Reason: actually updated map this time

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Eniarch whips his staff around in an harried attempt to deflect the brutal onslaught of the thug.

[OOC: Parry]
    Spoiler
    Show
    (3d6)[7]

Alas poor Eniarch, we hardly knew him. ;)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Eniarch's defensive action sends the first axe blow deflecting wide. The thug twists and attempts to bring the blade cutting back across, but the second swing in less than a second is a poor one and the haft of the axe rebounds off the lingering staff.
    ---

EDIT: Map has now been corrected (link in last post).

---
    Last edited by Unwitting Pawn; 2009-11-20 at 11:19 AM. Reason: map