New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Breakdown (A 3.5 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Setting, Very WIP)

What should I call meldshapers?
    Hm... Nano-herders? Reality hackers?

Or just Nano-shaper. For fluff you could say they have some minor psychic or cybernetic hub that allows them to control the nanites keyed to their unique electronic signature by concentration alone. They can command further nanite hoards (essentia) at higher levels.
    -----

A Breakdown ranger does not gain the standard ranger’s wild empathy, animal companion, or spellcasting class features, and instead gains the following abilities.

Quick Reactions (Ex): A ranger applies ¼ his class level (rounded down, minimum 1) as a competence bonus on initiative checks. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Expert Hunting (Ex): At 4th level a ranger’s favored enemy bonus applies on attack rolls against such creatures.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 6th level, a ranger's base land speed increases by 10 feet. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.

Focused Body (Ex): At 11th level, a ranger gains the ability to temporarily boost his physical capabilities. Once per day a ranger can use a standard action to add a +4 bonus to his Constitution or Dexterity score. This effect lasts for 1 minute per class level.

Swift Stalker (Ex): At 13th level, a ranger can move stealthily, even at a quick pace. He no longer takes a -5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when moving at any speed up to his normal speed, and he takes only a -10 penalty (instead of a -20 penalty) on Hide and Move Silently checks when running. He still takes the normal -20 penalty when attacking or charging.

Trackless Step (Ex): At 16th level, a ranger leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. He can choose to leave a trail if so desired. This benefit does not apply if he is wearing heavy armor or carrying a heavy load.
    You might have to give them more if they're sacrificing magic and their nature oriented stuff.

Perhaps offer those abilities at earlier levels?

Some bonus feats?

Some stuff like abundant step/boundless step (whatever the druid's terrain movement ability is).

Maybe include some additional combat styles like a movement one that offers constant freedom of movement at higher levels or the ability to make spot or listen checks at incredible ranges? The perception combat style could grant improved uncanny dodge and trap sense at higher levels.

Idea: With <insert feature here> 'Trying Again' on a spot or listen check is an immediate action.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-03-27 at 06:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Breakdown (A 3.5 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Setting, Very WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Or just Nano-shaper. For fluff you could say they have some minor psychic or cybernetic hub that allows them to control the nanites keyed to their unique electronic signature by concentration alone. They can command further nanite hoards (essentia) at higher levels.
    That sounds pretty good. Since nanoshapers have to take class levels in order to control their nanites, I'd consider getting the cybernetic hub and initial nanites part of training, so it doesn't have a cost. I've gotta get started typing all this.

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    You might have to give them more if they're sacrificing magic and their nature oriented stuff.

Perhaps offer those abilities at earlier levels?

Some bonus feats?

Some stuff like abundant step/boundless step (whatever the druid's terrain movement ability is).

Maybe include some additional combat styles like a movement one that offers constant freedom of movement at higher levels or the ability to make spot or listen checks at incredible ranges? The perception combat style could grant improved uncanny dodge and trap sense at higher levels.

Idea: With <insert feature here> 'Trying Again' on a spot or listen check is an immediate action.
    I was playing with the idea of allowing the rangers to take up a trapfinding role. If they're gonna be out in the wilderness by themselves or serving a scout role, they should be able to dismantle any traps they find. This change would involve giving them disable device as a class skill, and the trapfinding feature. If I add trapfinding at 1st level, then I could either toss quick reactions, or move it to 4th level. Should I add Open Lock as an additional class skill?
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.