New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Reactorside Picnic (Let's Play: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat)

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Aaand Surly Seraph is teh winnah. How could you ever guess that?
    I had to think really hard about it.

Depends on what helmet you mean? The helmet I'm wearing is just your standard army helmet (with added gadgets of course) and the white scary mask (seriously, look at the EYES!) is your standard gas mask, with some extras. Helmet for combat, gas mask for Zone hazards. The big orange thing is the skull of a chimera, from which I drink.
    I meant the big orange thing. Which does not look remotely skull-like to me, but chimeras are weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

It isn't the skull of a chimera, I'm just messing with your head. WohooOohohO!
    It's actually just the Black Box (which is neither black nor a box, but here you go) of the downed Stingray.

So, Playgrounders! Beware, the following article contains 1.) SCIENCE! and 2.) CHOICE!

Spoiler
    Show

After returning from slaying those strange mutant dwarves in the tunnel, I come across a wounded Stalker, Splinter. He tells me he and his friend were sent to acquire an artifact from the nearby anomaly field, but his "friend" just ran away once they had the artifact and Splinter was wounded. Guess who that SOB was? Flint! That guy that sits around in Yanow all day telling stories of how HE gassed all the Bloodsuckers in Zaton and how HE made a new map for Pilot and so on. I would have ended him were he stood if I was allowed to draw a weapon inside Yanow station. When I confront him, he of course says he never did anything, and I can't prove it... but just when I turn around to sell my stuff, he starts bragging about how he killed a Chimera. His story sounds remarkably similiar to that of a Stalker named Magpie, whose cowardice cost the live of Fang, trusty hunter. Only with him the mighty slayer, and not the coward newbie. That should interest Gonta. And boy, it does.

He is very grateful, and tells me he will deal with Flint/Magpie his way. Goood. He also tells me of a wounded Chimera he found sleeping nearby, and asks me if I want to come with him. And sure I do!

By the way, here is another achievement I got for ending Flint's treachery. It's called Defender of Justice, and it means I get a part of Flint's ill-gotten goods and some respect.
    But before we go, I order a special suit from Nimble. I just hope he makes good on the promises he gave me. 40000 rubels, with 8000 cash in advance isn't a sum I pay lightly.

But back to hunting Chimeras. Ther she is. Isn't she a beauty?

Wounded as she is, and with the help of two other hunters, she doesn't make it long.

And for being such an overall nice guy, here's another achievement! Friend to the Stalkers. Means that I buy medical goods much cheaper, and that Stalkers will try to help me should they see me in danger.

Back in Jupiter, I deliver three Veles-Detectors to Hermann, who thaws a bit and asks me to place three detectors in anomaly fields to verify his theory of connections between emissions and the artifacts.

Here's the first.

There's the second. And the third is quickly placed inside the electrical anomaly field on the parking lot.
    Hermann is overjoyed.

By the way, you can see the warped transformator I brought in earlier. I wonder if the other two empty devices will also be filled by me? I really love such small touches in the game.
    He then asks me to protect his Stalkers while they take readings on two anomaly site. No problem!

I thought. But as soon as they start measuring, a whole army of Flesh and Boars start stampeding in. Luckily, they are not very smart, and hard to miss. This could feed the enitre Zone for a few months, provided anybody would want to eat it.
    The second site lies near a town that was buried after the explosion at Chernobyl, and is apparently a really creepy place full of Zombies.

It's still creepy after we leave, but contains less Zombies. He he he.
    When I mention the high rate of mutant attacks to Hermman, he is very surprised, and says something about Osserski's theories.

Osserski explains that he has the theory that mutants can "read" the fields that surround anomaly field and interpret them, and that any human interference with those fields draws them near. I volunteer to tests that. God help me...

Another one of those small touches. When it rains, moisture collects on my scope.
    But before I throw away my life in the name of science, let's place another two detectors in anomaly fields. Coupled with one of the new Swarog detectors Hermann promises to sell me when I am nice, I can allways just look if there are currently any artifacts in the anomaly. That's what I call applied science!
    Let's place the first one:

And the second one:

All done!
    Now, concerning that theory:

This is a mutant detectors. If the theory holds true it should draw those beasts into an anomaly they normally avoid.

And look!

More...

Amusinlgy, the normally so cautious and sensitive mutants throw their own security completely to the wind, so they run into gravitational anomalies and explode (which cracked me up, I will admit it) or get burned. Serves them right, I guess.
    Just watch out, those grav-anomalies are messy.

Hmm, what's cooking?

Christmas tree stash! Only with REAL weapons.
    After ahving so tirelessly devoted myself to science, Hermann thanks me in the name of every scientist in the world. That warms my heart. It really does.

And another achievement! Research Associate! Hermann now sells me scientific equipment and drugs.
    I purchase the latest detector, the Swarog-Detector, and Hermann tells me to go investigate that strange anomaly at the cooling plant I came across earlier. The one with the radio messages.
    While we're talking, we are surprised by an emission. This Duty guard doesn't let that disturb his cool, nor the fact that the dor isn't closed. Oh well.

Here's the new and improved model! Ready for action!
    As son as I get closer to the site Hermann mentioned, I see this strange... thing here, apparently made visible by the detector.

When I get closer it starts to flash and...
    .. good god! What IS that! What the hell is happening here?

A pile of bodies suddenly falls out of the anomaly, all clad in Duty uniforms...
    And here's the twist. On one of them, I find a PDA. It's the PDA of somebody named General Tachenko. The founder of Duty!
    Apparently, they got trapped inside the anomaly, wandering a sort of fog forever. It also reveals that Tachenko cut the communication on purpose to allow him to form Duty. The "official" gfounding story of Duty goes like this: During the military raid on the Zone, communication was lost, and Tachenko gathered the surviving soldiers to form Duty to protect others from the Zone's dangers. This should interest quite a few people!

I now have three choices: Give the PDA to Lt. Shuga, leader of Duty in Yanow station, who would like to surpress this information.
    I could also give it to Loki, leader of Freedom, who would like to spread the news, or I could give it to Uhu, the information trader, who would do god knows what with it. What should I do?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Beautiful details (I am ashamed to admit that I actually went "Squee!" and grinned like an idiot when you pointed out the moisture on the scope), plot twists, and luring mutants into gravitational anomalies for SCIENCE!

I'm a bit concerned about that Duty soldier. Does he... is there some kind of port in his suit, or what?

While I love Duty in principle, they have proven that their approach to Zone management just makes things worse. And I suspect things will be much more interesting if you hand the PDA over to Freedom.
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a bit concerned about that Duty soldier. Does he... is there some kind of port in his suit, or what?
    We do not talk about that. Duty secret.

While I love Duty in principle, they have proven that their approach to Zone management just makes things worse. And I suspect things will be much more interesting if you hand the PDA over to Freedom.
    Much more interesting, definitively. But the soldier in me gravitates towards duty. Let's see if somebody else gives his opinion.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Mo Stalkin', mon. Short update, but behold, more audience participation!

Spoiler
    Show
    Back to Zaton! Let's see if Uhu already has the detectors I brought Nowikow to modify. Also, let's make some money.
    I visit the burned down farm, in search of valuable artifacts, but instead there's

Hot Dogs. Ha ha ha.
    And everyone's favorite prophet o' doom, Noah.

I wave my hand in front of him, but he doesn't notice. He also doesn't care about the heat, it seems. Actually, he cares about pretty little, I guess. Sometimes I want to know what he's seeing when he's looking like that. But I'd rather not.
    By the way, the new detector is great!

The little symbols mark anomalies, and so it's easy to avoid them. And I've got one of the four of these things in the zone. Neat. It's still a little tricky to actually connect the symbols with the real anomalies, but I manage it pretty well. For a short moment, I muse about how it takes all the excitement out of artifact hunting. But 90% of that excitement is the chance of getting horribly mangled or burned or gassed by some force that is not natural and should not be, so I guess that's ok.
    By the way, something embarassing happened. Apparently, there's a workshop that served the transformation station, but I never noticed it. I'm quite the tracker, eh? But workshop sounds like tools, and that sounds like Kardan might be interested.
    Sadly, a group of mercenaries have made camp at the workshop, and tell me to piss off, since they're hungry and nervous.

But when I offer to do something about the hungry, they warm up. The leader orders six sausages, six cans of meat and six loafs of bread. Normally, I'd have told them to go stuff it, but it's nice to actually have a chance to resolve something peacefully.

A Bloodsucker tries to avenge his fallen bretheren, but I'm having none of it. Invisible freaks of nature. The sooner all of them are dead, the better.
    Back at the ship, I talk to Uhu (whom the English wiki calls Owl, which means Uhu). He tells me Nowikow's man hasn't arrived yet, but just when I leave the ship, ladden with tasty treats for my mercenary friends, he radios me, and tells me to come talk to him.

Uhu says that I should go see Beard about my money, because it seems like Beard has not held up his part of an agreement the two had.

Beard however says that his Staljers only need two of the detectors, and that he has no use for the third, but Uhu doesn't want to take it back.

Uhu tells me that Beard is getting "delusions of grandeur"

and that he knows some guy named Sultan (whose Bandit ambush I betrayed when I had just arrived in the Zone, he he he) who can put those Stalkers "into their place". I do not like where this is going.
    I'll think about how to resolve this issue.
    Beard on the other hand tells me to go look for an artifact named "Compass", which is incredibly rare. There are tales that it helps you navigate fields of anomalies, and so it is sought after like nothing else. Noah seems to know more about it.

Not only does he know more, he hands it to me, just like that. So that I won't bother him anymore. That guy IS crazy. But his loss. Nice that something works out easier thatn planned, instead of always the other wa round.

LOOK at this artifact. LOOK at it. This should buy me the Skadowsk, at least.

Instead it buys me something much more important, the trust of the Skadowsk's Stalkers.
    The Achievement is called "One of Us" and means that Beard will offer me more money for artifacts I bring him, and Uhu will give me a discount.

That's it for today, but now the questions to you:
    First: How should I resolve the Beard/Uhu situation? Intimidated Uhu for the money, or talk to Sultan for some unlawful doings?
    And second: I now have about 55000 rubels, and could easily raise the same sum should I go artifact hunting, so let's spend the money. Nimble has several things to offer, and his stuff is usually very high class, but also expensive.
    He has:
    1. A pistol. I doubt this would be of much use to me, but at least it'll be cheap.
    2. An assault rifle. This could be useful, and I ahve the suspicion that Nimble's goods are unique, so I won't find this gun anywhere else.
    3. A sniper rifle. I already have a Vintar BC stashed away, but Nimble's will probably come with even more gadets to add.
    4. An exoskeleton, for when you really have to be mobile suit Stalker. I can't imagine a situation that can't be improved by wearing these, but it will surely be the most expensive item.

So, you get to choose what to buy, and what upgrades to add, once I've bought it.

EDIT: I know that you will probably be getting very little out of the scrrenshots of German dialogue, but I included them to show that there was actual dialogue instead of just writing about it.
    Last edited by GolemsVoice; 2010-02-04 at 12:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Could you pay the money out of your own pocket? If not, I'd intimidate Uhu. No sense getting bandits involved.
    If the assault rifle's even shinier than the G36 you've got, go for it. Pistols are rarely worth having, and the Vintar tends to be the only sniper rifle you need.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, I can't pay the money out of my own pocket. Let's pay Uhu a visit! That guy is some kind of crook, he deserves to get a bit shaken. And I'll order an assault rifle, will do!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Yes! Another!

Spoiler
    Show
    Soooo! That Uhu crook's going to get what he had coming. I shake him up a bit, and he spits out the money, no problem!

Now, time to order something from Nimble. I feel like a new gun. Nimble says he can get one for just 20000 rubels. Deal!
    Now, let's visit the Mercs and drop of our food, they must get anxious. Though I can't really say I'm feeling sorry for them.

But once I've handed over the food, they seem to be more or less ok. They tell me to look around, but warn me to leave my weapon holstered. That's fair, although I don't feel quite comfortable around them.

I grab the tools, and get out of here.

By the way, as you seldom get the chance to see one up close, here's their emblem.

A short stop at the Circle anomaly, just be careful you two!
    Another nice touch. Stalkers actually visit anomalies, and don't just wander around aimlessly.
    Back at the Skadowsk, my new weapon is waiting for me!

Oh, yes! Jackpot! This weapon is love. Although I first made sure Nimble didn't just whack an actor from Starship Troopers over the head and take his gun. This baby even has a mounted grenade launcher!
    Now, what should I do with it?

After applying the basic upgrades, I have a few choices. I can either: Increase it's Reliability by 15%, or the Flatness of the shots by 20%. I can also either increase the flatness by 20%, or the Rate of Fire by 15%, and either increase the Reliability by 15% or the accuracy by 20%. Reliability means that the weapon will be more resistant to wear, while all other stas should speak for themselves.
    With the new weapon safely locked away until I decide which upgrades to get, I return to Jupiter. After all, I have a mission to do...ooooh! Artifacts!

With the new scanners in place, I can always see where artifacts lie to be discovered, and even what kind of artifacts!

These should fetch a nice price from Beard. (And, boy, they do! If you find an artifact that he is currently looking for, you can easily make between 15000 and 25000 rubels.)
    When I investigate the Concrete anomaly, my head starts hurting. Never a good sign. Then comes the high-pitched noise in my ears. Damn! Psychic activity... ohhh...

And here's the source. Bastard controller. I'll have to put an end to that, quickly! All that messing with myhead starts to drive me crazy....

But luckily, I prove more resilient than he. I'll never get used to this psychic stuff, never. How can you FIGHT something you can't see? I mean, radiation, yes. I can just take pills to get that out of my system, but these mind attacks... I just don't LIKE them, ok?
    Seriously, Controller attacks are a bitch. They are not that dangerous once you've acquired enough protection, but the way he attacks is both annoying and scary. First you zoom on him, and he does some kind of psychic blast accompanied by the short image of a skull and you're back in your body, but facing skywards and holstering your weapon. Now, this is scary for me, I imagine it must be living hell for Major Degtyarev. Sadly, it's hard to get a picture.
    But let's continue with the mission, it should clear my head.

Onwards to Jupiter. The way I know my Zone, it's probably just another region of Hell, but it's my duty. I've sworn an oath. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
    Come on, Degtyarev. Don't get soft!

I've marked my objectives, but getting there isn't as easy as it looks, I know this much from previous explorations.

Somebody has taken great care to make sure that I don't get to the building housing the elevator easily.
    That's your stereotypcial Waist High Fence, right there. Couldn't they at least have made it a form of wall? Like, ready-made tiles, or at least a higher fence?

Somehow, this area is always populated by mutant dogs. But they have a hard time even scratching me.

Looks like somebody tried to get OUT, and now there's no way I'm getting IN. Damn!

Back in the hallway. I have already investigated this area once, but not fully. At least I found some documents that told me of the existence of this elevator. But they also told me that there are orders to have the subterran way to Pripjat flooded with gas. I hope they didn't have the time to do this, or else my job has just gotten a lot worse.

And just to prove that even the Zone has a sense for the dramatical, an emission starts! At least I won't ahve to search for cover.
    Welcome, by the way, to Hell's workshops:

As soon as the hall can be entered again, I investigate further. Two dogs try to stop me, but fail.

A letter... let's see. Apparently, research object 62 is to be transported to Department 1 (this Department 1 came up in many letters and documents I've found so far, something's going on there, hard!), but it can only be transported via the tunnels. So this Department 1 will likely be found in Pripjat. Oh great. I bet it's another scientific hellhole.

Finally, here's the last of the Stingrays. This one, too, has been blasted by an unknown force, but the anomaly warning system is still intact... strange. I'll have to investigate what has caused such damage to the two helicopters. And I bet I'll find the answer in Pripjat!
    It's getting to dark, I'll switch to night vision.

Another abandoned workshop.
    And here's the elevator at last, somewhere around here.

I find a document detailing what exactly happened here:
    They sealed the elevator doors, blocked the train gates, welded them shut, and, yes, sealed the whole tunnel air tight and filled it with poisonous gas! This is just GREAT! Now I'll have to find someone to get to work on the emergency generators to open the elevator doors that lead down to the tunnels. I'll best speak to a technician abpout this. Let's get out of here.

Oh, and now I get it. I was searching for some kind of personal elevator, but THIS is the elevator. In hindsight, I should probably have expected this. I feel stupid. But I bet that's making matters even more complicated, after all, this gaint should be harder to repair than one of those cabin things, I guess?
    Back outside in the rain again, only one thing remains, and that's getting the final info on the tunnels.

Located in here. Now I have everything I need to talk to someone with more knowledge of technical things. But first, undead.

Herrmann doesn't really seem interested in this whole elevator thing, but I get to tell him about the strange anomaly back at the coolant plant. Though he says my recounting was "unscientific" (why doesn't HE go out next time, hm?) he names the anomaly "Space Bubble". So this is how it works.

Nitro knows more, at last.

I have to assemble a team to get to Pripjat, because going alone would be suicide. He's right about that, I guess, though I prefer to work alone. I should talk to Zulu about that, Nitro says.
    When I have gathered my team, I will have to equip them all with suits with closed-circuit breathing systems. Gas-filled tunnels and all that. So, we have a mission!

By the way, I of course bought the Special Edition. Here's what it contains!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Call of Pripyat lets you get the FN F2000 early enough to actually be useful? Score! Since you've got a sniper rifle lying around, go with the Reliability and Rate of Fire upgrades for it.

Equipping a team sounds expensive, and most likely extensive-side-quest-requiring. Fortunately, you probably have a good number of qualified people you can recruit at this point, what with being nice to all of the stalkers and some of the mercs.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, I of course bought the Special Edition. Here's what it contains!
    i wish the UK special edition came with all that!
    all i got was the soundtrack, some art cards, & a map...
    [sarcasm] Yay. [/sarcasm]

also on a related note.
    my first game ended with me dying within 20 minutes... God i love these games!
    no comprimise!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

my first game ended with me dying within 20 minutes... God i love these games!
    no comprimise!
    Nope, never. By the way, the soundtrack was included on the disc as well, though I only found that out by accident, they didn't even advertise this. That's what I call service. Though I still hoped they had included one of the non-radiating artifacts...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

erm... help!

what armours/helmets have NVG in them?
    i only ask because i need to see in the dark better...

OMG you DO have a torch!
    it's not in the manual though!
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2010-02-10 at 05:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. But that would be boring, wouldn't it? You can also obtain a helmet with NVGs from
    Spoiler
    Show
    the quest where you have to recover the crate out of the chasm with the Snorks, it's the last item. If I remember correctly.

But the torch is way more atmospheric!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry you all had to wait, but the next installment will come when I have finsihed my vacation in three days. My photobucket bandwidth limit should be restored by then, too.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

in the mean time, i met my first controler today...
    Intresting fact 1: you can run out of range of a controler due to their slow movement
    intresting fact 2: Bullets can outrange psy effects!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry you had to wait so long, Real Life interferred. Here's the next one! I hope you're still with me.

Spoiler
    Show

So, a team, yes? Let's see. First I should talk to Zulu in his tower, he'll know what to do. But first, let's ahve a look at our new weapon. Yeees!

Here's the tower!

And here's the guy.

So I tell him of my mission. No problem, he says, but first, we'll have a drink! Allright...
    But somehow, each bit of information I tell him excites him so much that he simply has to drink to it... not that I mind.
    I do mind...
    I don't mind anything anymooowhoah! Slippery here...

A few hours later...

OUCH! They can make suits that allow you to basically LIVE in an anomaly, but they can't make a helmet that protects against headaches.... damn! How much did I...oooooh.
    A few minutes later...

oook. I'm, well, fit again. Still feeling a bit woozy, though. Apparently we discussed the details, though. I need to gather a team, and I should seek out those that owe me, and have no faction that needs them.
    Time to call in some favors.

Wano, for example, says he'll help me, since I paid his debt. Funny thing is that he pawned his suit to Hawaiian, and that'll be 5000. Grudgingly, I pay him. At least he brings his own suit.

And here are our two brave members! Asking around in Yanov leads nowhere. The others don't want to go, and Freedom and Duty can hardly spare any men. Suckers. Who wouldn't want to go to Pripyat?
    I think I'll ask Sokolov, the stranded Lieutnant in the scientist's bunker.
    In front of the bunker stands Topol, and it seems he got an upgrade!

He and his team are now working more closely with the scientists, thanks to the missions they did under my protection. Grateful, he hands me a bunch of protective medicine and a nice helmet. Look!

Sadly, he doesn't want to lead his gang to Pripyat with me. I could ahve needed him.

Lt. Sokolov accepts, but the military didn't supply him with an airtight suit, of course. So it's my job to get him one.
    Hermann is pretty tight with ressources, but Oserski promises me a suit if I get him a special flower that grows in a mutated forest nearby. Sounds okay, I guess.

Here's my objective.

The forest is filled with gas, but with my new helmet, it's hardly a problem to go in, grab the flower, and return. If only all jobs were this easy.

That's the flower. What poetry in this barren land, bla bla.
    On my way back to the lab, I buy my own suit.

25000 isn't cheap, but it's protective value really speaks for itself. I just shouldn't bring it to a gunfight. But there shouldn't be anyone left in that tunnel, I think.
    Oserski is overjoyed, and hands me the suit. He also tells me that it was originaly reserved for Hermann. Hi hi hi. But that would mean they would ever leave their lab, and how likely is THAT?

It also nets me a new achievement, Pioneer. My brave forays into unknown territory, both literaly and scientifically, now enable the scientists to to produce Anabiotika, which let me survive emissions.

Now our team consists of three men, and I'm out of ideas. Maybe Noah? Or Gonta? Asking them can't hurt, can it?
    I also take Zulu's Vodka, as revenge.

When it comes to anomaly protection, nothing beats my SEVA-suit. But, as mentioned, it won't protect me in a fight.
    When I enter the Skadowsk, Snag accuses me of having stolen his weapon. Like hell.

I ask him if he's sure, and tell him that I bought this weapon from Nimble, but he starts shouting at me about how "all the guys here are on his side". So I tell him that I could just as well blow his brains out and be done with it. That calms him down.

Even if it WAS his weapon, he lost it, it's mine now.
    Noah doesn't want to go to Pripyat (There was no option to ask him)
    but he hands me another compass artifact, just like that. I wonder if it's a bug, or if Noah just pulls them out of his hat because of his crazy connection to the Zone?
    While I'm there, I decide to make some money. gathering a team and gearing up for Pripyat isn't cheap!

Here...

And here, where the Poltergeist has returned...

An emission forces me to seek cover. And you guys should seek cover, too!
    Sadly, my cover is the Snork-infested chasm. But I can't be picky, can I?

And while investigating another anomaly (and hopefully, artifact)-filled cave, I discover the body of Barge, one of Kardan's two buddies. His PDA suggests that Kardan abandoned them because of an argument they had, and Joker, the other member of the team, left, too.
    Nice place to die, really. Another one of those wandering anomalie nearly burns me!

But finally I breathe fresh air again.

Hatchet, leader of the Mercs I supplied with food, prefers to stay here, too.
    Back at the Skadowsk, I bring Kardan the bad news. He takes it better than expected.

That's it for now, but our mission is clear. I will try to find a fourth team member, maybe the tracker that waits in the scientist's bunker. He desperately wants to go to Pripyat, but can't because a contract with the scientists forces him to stay until he brings them two artifacts, and I agreed to bring them to him should I happen to find them. I already have one.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really like your LP. Stalker is fun, but it's a pain at times, so getting most of the good parts without actually having to play through it is great

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks! But how is playing it painful? I agree it's a bit harsher than most shooters, especially at the last two difficulties, but I find it immensely fun!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

I tried the cheapest Steam one: Clear Skies has a couple bugs. Reminds me of ToEE but instead of corrupting a save it just cancels the current game (which can be annoying when you just wanted to save).

Another bug: 1/2 the time you attempt to throw a screw, you don't. Same for grenades.

But it was fun.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I went straight from the first game to the third, since I heard how horribly buggy the second was. However, here in Germany you can now get the bundled package, with all three games, for about 30 euros, so you could try looking for that.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

Steam has the game for $19.99 for people that own either Chernobyl or Clear Sky. Is it worth it, or should I wait until it gets one of those $5 sales?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks! But how is playing it painful? I agree it's a bit harsher than most shooters, especially at the last two difficulties, but I find it immensely fun!
    Stalker isn't very forgiving, if you've noticed. And I'm just not good enough at most games to find that an altogether-good thing. Plus the moments like this...

"Okay... good on ammo, this gun's holding together fine."
    Waddlewaddlewaddle
    ****, a 'sucker."
    pewpewpewpewpew
    "Whew. Okay. It's dead."
    Blurpblurpblurp
    "Wait... what's that sound...?"
    "HOW DID THAT GET BEHIND ME? AND THERE'S FOUR OF THEM AND OHGODWHY?"
    -Inarticulate screaming-

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

And then you start running away, fall into an anomaly and die in one of many fun and exciting ways.

Someone should make a Stalker Roguelike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I think the first game is much harder, as you can't repair your weapons and armor. Call of Pripyat is easier, since you a) can repair and upgrade your gear, b) know where to look for anomalies and artifacts. And if you're a little diligent, you can make money easily. And once you've acquired some rubels, you can order all the toys that make the Zone almost boring. But I admit that it is still much less forgiving than other shooters, especially at the beginning. I've had my fair share of "out of ammo, gun's barely holding together, and so is my armor, and WHY DO THEY ALL HATE ME?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

do you want a pointer where to pick up the 3rd person?

also you should try to make 100K. there's an acheivement which makes the stores sell their best stuff to you...
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

I'd love to know how to activate third person, thanks! And I didn't know about the 100000, though it shouldn't be a problem.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

go slightly north of the container wharehouse...

Current Acheivements
    Detective
    Friend of Stalkers
    Courier of Justice
    Leader
    Mutant Hunter
    One of Ours
    Pioneer
    Research Assistant
    A wealthy Client
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2010-02-23 at 06:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I misread your post, sorry :-) I thought you meant Third Person, as in Third person view. I'll go there though, thanks for the advice, Stalker.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

heh, i thought that looked a bit odd...

Anyway you're welcome STALKER
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    And then you start running away, fall into an anomaly and die in one of many fun and exciting ways.

Someone should make a Stalker Roguelike.
    You have been eaten by a bloodsucker.
    Do you want your items identified?