New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: $1000 + Portal IC

"Poppy, could I perhaps give you a few gold for the privilege of learning a few spells from your spellbook? It'd be invaluable to me.", Travis says.

(presuming she's ok with it, for the standard phb price)

Travis spends the next hour copying a level one spell, then hits up the market, looking for a wand of CLW, Gloves of the Starry Sky, Goggles of the Golden Sun, Belt of the Wide Earth, and 1st level pearls of power.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

She's okay with it.

It takes 2 hours, but you can find all of those things at their standard prices.
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"So Travis, you are becoming a wizard huh? I was thinking about going that way myself. But now im considering becoming a Factotum or an Artificer. Pending to the former. With my knowledge of Natural Science and Engineering and some small Arcane Mojo, i guess we could pull off a lot of nasty tricks. And i guess casting spells from the chair in the inside of a protected Engineering Tractor will have a lot of charm to you."

"Anyway, i guess its time for us discuss the plan in its entirety. If someone can point some critical place, i can put some explosives to work. Im aching to see my engine at work, and the Acid Bottles are almost ready, just waiting a few flasks for envasing. How much ammo do you all have? I guess the enemy may come a little more concealed this time, trying to go with the mobs to prevent becoming an easy target. Speaking about that, i was thinking about making some smoke grains, to burn and trouble the enemy from having line of sight of us."

"Im a little reticent about making poisons for now, because i dont even know if the effort would pay off against clerics with their fortitude checks, and anything that could surely kill them would take a lot of time to craft. If we could make them ingest the poison, that would not be an issue. Anything inhaled TOO effective could end up very messy for our side too"

"Also, if someone could lend me money to get a Ring of Sustenance, i would be a very, very gratefull man. I blew up my money on this little hand, and i can make a lot of usefull and valuable things way fast, but that takes time"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"I could certainly lend you a few gold...come to think of it, I'd best buy one of those myself. While I do enjoy eating, it might be best not to risk possible poison or disease until the undead are vanquished. I've got a coupla hundred rounds left yet, so no real ammo shortage...by the time I run dry, I should be able to craft some. Wizard seemed handy. I mean...I already know how to swing a sword and such, something unusual seemed fun. Artificer is a particularily good choice, IMO, especially when combined with your skills...mixing technology and magic seems like a potent combo.", Travis says.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Acanous squeezes his shopping trip in somewhere, propably at the same time.
    "I'm a little low on funds myself, but I'll see what I can contribute. Do we have a tank? Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Knight? Even Cleric could do in a pinch, though I was expecting to go that way myself."

6. - Top - End - #96

RedWizardGuy

"No Tank we could muster right now could help us against a flamestrike or even Divine Weapon. Well, maybe a literal one.

Our vehicles could be used to block line of effect, at least i always theorized about it. Not much help against high level non Lighting based effects, but could help in a pinch, and the speed can put us far from the spell range.

And i guess Joe wants to be a mage too, so there goes the most fit guy around. On the plus side, we have the Militia with us.

And Tyndimir, my trouble about going Artificer is that i know Jack about magic, sure, i saw a little of it from Poppy, but True Occultism never was my thing. And there is no Artificer here that im aware of."
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2010-01-05 at 08:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

"Meh, we have town guards. Presumably they have some tank-like ability. Together with walls, that should suffice. I mean, our goal isn't to merely exchange blows with them...that'll lead to ruin.

As for artificer...that seems like it'd be mostly a blend of your existing tech skills and magic. Since you've got two of the party dabbling in magic already, Im sure we could teach you a bit...at least, enough to be dangerous.

Anyhow, Im going to go find as many flasks of alchemist's fire and oil as can be bought in this town. A few flaming traps might help reduce the zombie horde. Between that, learning spells, and scribing scrolls, I should be busy right up until the attack."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alchemist's fire: (5d20)[20] already made.
    Oil: (3d100)[220] units available.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

9. - Top - End - #99

RedWizardGuy

"Fine. I've made some preparations on this line myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    The remainder of the sawdust was mixed with sulfur, and either oil or fat, and put in barrels. Those were the dispositions for day one, and they probably kept Ramos way overworked.

"Wait, Travis, you have a laptop, dont you? Do you have a good camera? We should take some digital pictures of the Grimoire, or scan it in my printer, then burn it on DVD or just Xerox it. What do you think? High resolution, of course."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Yes on both counts. I think we just figured out how to make a digital spellbook.

11. - Top - End - #101

OldWizardGuy

You know, if we could replicate computers, even just palm pilots, we could sell them as digital spellbooks... Controlling the source, and selling to Wizards, who are generally wealthy- we could name our price. But that's something to do later

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

But then there's the training....the tech support. No, no, that seems like entirely too much work for a few gold pieces.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

" I agree with Travis on this. We can make a lot more of money on easier ways than that. Integrated circuits are a pain to reproduce, even with acess to good magic.

And photography goes a long way on the same purpose.

Well, lets get on action then. With all the wood, the militia can craft some barricades along the city entrances, to hinder the undead. I guess we need one local military advisor."

14. - Top - End - #104

OldWizardGuy

"Propably a good idea, especially if we leave it with the captain of the guard. It'll be good for moralle to let the men see that thier leaders are competant and proactive. Unless we find a local general or tactician"

Acanous takes a furitive glance around for a deus ex machina
    [Roll 1d20-2] (Spot)

(if that fails to uncover something)
    "If needed, I do have some experience solidifying defensable locations. I could take a once over of the map and a wander about town and see about fashioning a decent bulwark out of it."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Travis says, "Yeah, pretty much let the militia handle that, in my opinion. They can surely handle barricades, a few guards, and rallying the rest of the troops once somethings spotted.

As for myself, I bought up all the oil and alchemist's fire available. You guys are welcome to use some if you need it, Im thinking of a straight forward fire trap with it...yknow, if we barricade the streets, the zombies will obviously pile up in front of the barricades, we may as well take advantage of such a target saturation. I expect we'll be using the roofs quite heavily.

Yknow, come to think of it, I'm off to buy flasks of acid. I figure, it can't hurt to add that to the mix, and I'll also be picking up some ladders and 10ft poles. We'll use poles to barricade the doors, and ladders from rooftop to rooftop to city walls to navigate the city with the least possible danger from zombies.

Now, Im going to try to assassinate leadership as quickly as possible, but whenever I don't have a target, I may as well expend ammo, etc on the zombies. This likely won't be a quick fight, so get plenty of projectiles and improvised weapons."

16. - Top - End - #106

RedWizardGuy

Well, i guess im the biggest suplier of acid around. Been busy yesterday, and crafted 1000 flasks of Sulfuric acid with the help of the local alchemists and some modern chemistry. I've made some biodiesel too, that could be used to burn well. But i was thinking about employing it to my vehicle.

Here's my view of this incoming battle:

So, the north gate leads to a open way into the heart of the city. Thats good for us, because it allows to force the enemy to pass throught a certain path, while being attacked from the sides.

Somehow, i doubt they will try to enter by the north, because its a huge advantage to us, while the east gate allows them to attack directly the main city once taken. Specially with the granaries where they keep the food needed to supply the city so nearby. Heck, we should inspect the people in the wagon yard to make sure there is not any traitor planning to attack it.

Hell, maybe their leadership will try to engage to open directly those gates for the horde enter. Did you guys see any siege?

My machine can plug the way the undead choose to enter. Ill have it stationed in the junction between the roads that lead to Northgate and Eastgate. Witchever the side the enemy chooses to come, grinder will be ready to break them and close the gap.

If the pavement on the Northgate way is good enought, we could use our vehicles with some added wooden structure to act as rams, by acelerating along it to crush the enemy vanguard in case of the enemy entering from the 2 gates. The wagons in the wagonyard are a start.

Im thinking about rig those buildings near the Eastgate to be demolished over the enemies too. I still have enought Nitrate to demolish a medium modern building, or use stones and logs as fragmentation charges. Basically, have the nitrate explode under a bunch of projectiles to throw them around like a landmine do.

With all the wood that has been employed to make the barricades, we should be able to delay the horde enought to force their leadership to appear personally on the front to be taken by our bullets. Once they lose that leadership, the grinder and the militia will be able to kill them. Or re-kill, in this case. If they employ any "superweapon", then our boys will use the acid before retreating. Or i ram it with my idea of armored vehicle.

Now, my trouble is that a lot of people from the NE part of the town will need to evacuate right by the Eastgate way if worse comes to worse, and how will i deploy my machines? Using a bootleg turn? Or do we order them to close their houses and take refuge on the south side? For that i need a local consultant. Were is the militia chief? I need to hear his opinions about this plan, see if he has any suggestion.

17. - Top - End - #107

OldWizardGuy

"I was thinking of just having that machine of yours stay in the junction. Whichever side the undead attack from, we have the soldiers feint into a fighting retreat, luring the undead into it. If we make use of those ladders, our guys will have a way out of the kill zone, while the undead won't."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

The soldiers, and any men willing to be trained to defend their homeland, are at your beck and call. Please speak to (newly promoted) General Sien to give the orders.

He greatly respects Slayn's plans, and he reminds Slayn that there are no more places to run to. An army of undead would capture and kill any fleeing creatures.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Travis grins and says "That depends entirely on how fast we flee"

20. - Top - End - #110

OldWizardGuy

Acanous waits for word from his messenger, aside from that spending his time training with the troops and trying to bolster morale.

21. - Top - End - #111

OldWizardGuy

(Bump)

>.>

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, it looks like it's just the three of you still here. What do you say? One more day IRL until we start the invasion?

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Ready whenever.

24. - Top - End - #114

OldWizardGuy

Also ready, and it looks like those farmers aren't showing up :/

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Well, you don't get an awful lot of farmers (you know, the whole cowering in fear and trying to protect families thing), but you have a reasonably sized group. Say, 35 people, willing to assist you in whatever (not personally dangerous) way you need.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

26. - Top - End - #116

OldWizardGuy

Excellent. I'll give them a GP each to plow for 8 hours the day before the battle, breaking the earth outside the walls. 35 farmers and assorted animals would clear a good few acres in 8 hours. My goal here is to make the North gate look the most inviting, and making the other gate (and walls) more difficult to enter.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

I see. They agree to do so, and can surround the city (except northgate) with 150 feet of broken soil, which counts as rough terrain.

Acceptable?

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

28. - Top - End - #118

OldWizardGuy

Perfectly so.

Oh, and I suppose I have my follower back? I get him to wear the Adamantine plate, ask him his choice of weapon, and have him guard our stuff.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2010-02-07 at 09:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Excellent.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

30. - Top - End - #120

OldWizardGuy

Acanous makes one final rally check
    (1d20+2)[18] and goes with the troops to the north gate, stationing himself with one of the squads.
    "Right, lads. It's all on us, now. Remember that you're not fighting for gold, or glory- but for hearth and home. Your families are counting on you, your friends, your neighbours. Let's show these abominations what it means to fight a legion of Heroes, and by doing so ensure that we have homes to go back to!"

Following the plan, Acanous positions himself and his squad in V formation, ready to make a fighting retreat to the deathwagon.