100 pushups
    swimming - front crawl - 15 laps.

I do this 3 times a week.

what do you guys do to be in shape?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What do you do to stay fit

climbing @ an indoor centre
    clubbing and lots of it - i don't drink so no having to worry about developing a beer belly

and most importantly i EAT RIGHT
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I run in Cross Country and Track.

EDIT: Which, in case you didn't know, includes off-seasons, because it sucks to not train and just jump into the sports.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-04 at 12:35 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I run around 3-7 miles a day and alternate between days of crunching + pushups and days of planking + supermans.

That's how I stay fit.

Staying skinny, though, I never need to worry about. I'm one of those people that just are just naturally skinny. I eat a lot, too, but it never seems to affect my weight. It's kind of annoying, actually.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    I run around 3-7 miles a day and alternate between days of crunching + pushups and days of planking + supermans.

That's how I stay fit.

Staying skinny, though, I never need to worry about. I'm one of those people that just are just naturally skinny. I eat a lot, too, but it never seems to affect my weight. It's kind of annoying, actually.
    I have the same problem in reverse.
    i was actually pretty fat till my barmitzva when my uncle (whos a Martial arts instructor) made me run in the mornings across te beach with him. so thats why my regime is a little hard - i have slow metabolism, I gain weight easy. I eat healthy, with the occasional high carb meal. I dont eat procssed food.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

A regular week I train parkour, yoga and go to a gym. The gym part is mostly for some extra core training, since I easily get back pains if I don't do that. I think it has to do with me sitting down from 8am to 8pm every day
    Yoga is mainly for flexibility, and an opportunity to focus on something else than school. Parkour is just awesome, and great all-around strength and coordination training.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe, closest thing I have to excercise is my weekly practice with a swordfighting group. Despite that I'm still horribly out of shape but just can't seem to work up the motivation to exercise without equipment and can't
    afford even the cheapest plan at the local gym.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing specific. I walk a lot, but not for the exercise. I also go snowboarding sometimes... Not quite in season yet. And I've got some video games that happen to be more physical (like Shaun White's Snowboarding Road Trip for Wii with the Wii Fit board.)
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Parkour. And some fencing. And conditioning, mostly for the purpose of being reasonably capable of parkour.

Every weekday I walk all the way up and down UC Berkeley campus, which is tall and very steep, and I walk home, which is about 1.5 miles. Then:

Monday: minor parkour (practice the landings, high jump, catwalk, precision jump, maybe some wall run, total of about 20 minutes). A couple of 600 ft. or so sprints.

Tuesday: Extensive parkour (1-1.5 hours of whatever I can find to practice on at UCB). If I feel up to it, 2 hours of fencing.

Wednesday: minor parkour, pullups, pushups, crunches.

Thursday: minor parkour, 2 hours of fencing.

Friday: minor parkour, sprints.

Saturday: Put my muscles back together with duct tape, 2 hours fencing (sometimes).

Sunday: 4 hours general hanging out/running around with friends.

...I think I might be crazy, especially considering that I am basically a stick. I've only started most of this recently...(I'm going to pick up the fencing next week, I've haven't been going for a while, and I used to do minor parkour and pullups/pushups/crunches on Tuesday instead of the extensive parkour, but it's worth it).

We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2009-12-04 at 01:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

seriously you guys? parkour?! as in the incredibly dangerous one-trip-youre-dead parkour?
    you really walk out in the street and go prince of persia on the place for weekly exercise?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfGangsta View Post
    seriously you guys? parkour?! as in the incredibly dangerous one-trip-youre-dead parkour?
    you really walk out in the street and go prince of persia on the place for weekly exercise?
    They never said they'd be jumping off roofs. Though I have a friend that can do a 15 ft. drop onto concrete and roll out of it with only moderate discomfort.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I've considered parkour briefly. I'm not aware enough of my immediate surroundings to be comfortable trying it out at the moment though. That and I'd have no idea where to start...
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, since it's winter here in Sweden right now and either cold and icy or rainy and wet we mostly stay indoors. But otherwise, yes, we run on walls, jump over/slide under things and lots of other stuff as well, I've been training pretty much with bars lately, it's awesome!
    I can really recommend it as good training, as long as you accept that you'll injure yourself sooner or later, and sometimes pretty bad as well.

EDIT: As for having a group to train with, it's not mandatory, you can learn everything by yourself, though I wouldn't recommend it. Having a friend with you who also trains is great, not only for safety, but also to trigger each other to try new things, and to see new ways to move.
    Last edited by drakir_nosslin; 2009-12-04 at 01:46 AM.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Ive seen some youtube video of parkour, and I have a friend who practices it, but it seems more as a performance sport then an excersise of keeping in shape. nevertheless, it's a really cool pasttime. I tried it, but aside from the wall running I'm not very good at the other stuff, so I usually just enjoy watching.
    what is the most serious injury you gained?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I get up early and do Wii Fit every morning.

It used to say I was overweight every day but now I'm in the healthy zone. Yay!
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Eat curry and drink beer!
    Not very successful but fun!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't. Which will come to be a problem unless I take care of it soon.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

18. - Top - End - #18

I normally walk 40 minutes a day and do martial arts twice a week. That keeps my weight even. Now with two twisted ankles the kilos are creeping up on me... I could do some sport on my own without (ab)using my legs but can't seem to be bothered...you reap what you sow

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ive seen some youtube video of parkour, and I have a friend who practices it, but it seems more as a performance sport then an excersise of keeping in shape. nevertheless, it's a really cool pasttime. I tried it, but aside from the wall running I'm not very good at the other stuff, so I usually just enjoy watching.
    what is the most serious injury you gained?
    Well, here's the thing: there is parkour, and there is freerunning. Parkour is defined as a discipline with the aim of moving from one point to another as smoothly, efficiently and quickly as possible using the abilities of the human body. The closest analogy to it is a martial art. It is a discipline, both a physical training and to some extent a conditioned mindset. A traceur may never in their life need to really use parkour in some emergency, just as some trained blackbelt may never actually end up in a fight. It's a method of self-conditioning more than anything else.

Freerunning is basically parkour for the purpose of looking awesome, rather than as a discipline. If you're doing flips anywhere, you're almost definitely doing freerunning.

Honestly, when it comes to learning and execution, the two overlap, just about entirely. If you're learning one, you're also learning the other: in terms of what you are doing physically, they are nearly the same. Basically, when doing them, they are more or less the same thing, however they are different concepts.

As to the safety part, the actual motto of parkour is ętre et durer. To live and to last. Safety is the most important thing, which is why generally one spends the first very long time practicing the landings A LOT. That's still most of what I'm doing. But yeah, if you really move up to the point where you're jumping off high places onto hard things, one really bad mistake will land you seriously in the hospital, it's definitely a very risky activity compared to most.

...but yeah. It's pretty awesome. I started a parkour group myself with my friends, although there's only a few of us who are really motivated and actively practicing (a few who hang around and do a bit, but aren't really dedicated to it).
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2009-12-04 at 03:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Zombie

I don't.
    I should but I havnt really done anything worth calling fitness training in 5+ years.

21. - Top - End - #21

No specific training, but I try to stop myself buying and eating junk food. I dance for 5 hours once a week, twice occasionally. I also have a 10 minute walk to and from my bus stop if I want to go anywhere, and occasionally I do the 35 minute walk to work.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I try to bike everywhere, like between the university and my home, which is around 4 kilometers in one direction, with some uphill either way.

Recently, I have started going to the local swimming hall, about once a week. But I don't actually swim, I water jog. Sure it's mostly old ladies who do it here, but I like it more than swimming, because swimming makes my neck hurt, and I like to be aware of my surroundings. I jog there for about half an hour each time.

And, I have tried to cut down on the sweets. They are my greatest enemy.
    Avatar made by Mr Saturn. Thank you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

it seems more as a performance sport then an excersise of keeping in shape.
    I [until a broken wrist a few years ago] did Capoeira and Parkour. The necessary exercise for Capoiera was tough enough that I couldn't get out of bed after my first class, and barely managed to learn anything technique-wise in the first month. Parkour was more intense than that.

At the moment I have taekwondo fight training monday night, coach two hours on tuesday, western martial arts for two-four hours and then regular taekwondo training on wednesday, hapkido on thursday, and I just finished a regular Pilates class friday afternoons. Then there's the odd run/bike ride down the beach during the week.

It seems to be sufficient for the moment.
    My avatar? Why it's the brilliant work of Miss Nobody.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I run like hell.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

It varies for me. But mostly I use a Fit Deck (If anyone wants specifics, it's the bodyweight core set w/ the combat sports, pull-up, Navy SEAL, and kettlebell "expansions"). I also occasionally use a TRX suspension trainer, and half-dabble in parkour.

I've got a knee that acts up (slalom ski accident, probably compounded with general abuse from wakeboarding), so I've laid off the running, but I need to get back into it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

I read a manual of gainful exercise +5.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hunt, shoot, fish, and thrash the perfidious French wherever they rear their heads.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hunt, shoot, fish, and thrash the perfidious French wherever they rear their heads.
    Uh oh... I better get out of your way then... I don't want to get thrashed.

Horseback riding and lots of walking for me. Though, the walking usually turns into running and racing whoever is with me because I have so much excess energy...
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

what do you guys do to be in shape?
    eat KitKat bars...
    Drink tea...

hey! ROUND is a perfectly acceptable shape
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I take public transportation, walk most places, and watch what I eat.* More recently I've been lifting a (very adorable) 14-pound weight whenever she's bored or hungry. I'm 165 pounds at 6ft tall (75kg at 182cm). That's only two pounds off the "ideal weight," so it seems to be working pretty well for me.

*This mainly means cutting out all forms of pop/soda/etc, and being gluten free for two meals a day. (My wife is celiac, so gluten-free dinners; lunch is leftovers from yesterday's dinner).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2009-12-04 at 09:27 AM.