New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Rpgsr4me's Ravenous, Roaring, Raging Rampage of Random Banter #134

As of four minutes past three this afternoon I have finished my first term at Oxford. My last seminar was amazing. Gothic fiction and degeration theory. Also: albinism and She and Moby Dick. And leprosy.

I also found out that next term he's doing a short series on 20th century Gothic including a whole lecture on H. P. Lovecraft, not to mention the other times he'll be referenced.
    Seminars and general discussion will also include this extremely controversial question:
    "Should the Twilight series be counted as Gothic fiction?"
    Poor man, he's going to read all of the books over Christmas for that debate.
    But actual lectures of Lovecraft?! By a leading Gothic researcher.
    Awesome sauce!
    He also does Romantic and 17th century Gothic in Trinity and master's courses.
    Dude!
    Gothicgasm.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-12-04 at 10:49 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    As of four minutes past three this afternoon I have finished my first term at Oxford. My last seminar was amazing. Gothic fiction and degeration theory. Also: albinism and She and Moby Dick. And leprosy.

I also found out that next term he's doing a short series on 20th century Gothic including a whole lecture on H. P. Lovecraft, not to mention the other times he'll be referenced.
    Seminars and general discussion will also include this extremely controversial question:
    Awesome sauce!
    Dude!
    Gothicgasm.
    Oh man, I'd love that class! Wish I went to Oxford...if Oxford was in America...and didn't have impossibly high standards for me...

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome sauce!
    Dude!
    Gothicgasm.
    I think I could answer his question regarding Twilight. Short answer: No. Long Answer: No because sparkling does not belong in a Gothic setting and it is more of a pathetic excuse for romantic fiction.

Hope you enjoy your literary pursuit at Oxford.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2009-12-04 at 11:05 AM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQueen View Post
    Oh man, I'd love that class! Wish I went to Oxford...if Oxford was in America...and didn't have impossibly high standards for me...
    Some universities let you sit through a day of classes. If you had the money you could probably go to that class at least once. I'm guessing you're not the type to spend money just to see a lecture (so go see the sights too!).

We're all poor here.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    Some universities let you sit through a day of classes. If you had the money you could probably go to that class at least once. I'm guessing you're not the type to spend money just to see a lecture (so go see the sights too!).

We're all poor here.
    As much as I totally would spend that money, I'd first need that money to spend (which I don't). :/
    Still, that does sound interesting...if I make it rich, I'd probably do that.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Banned

You've finished term already? Bah.

Maybe I should've gone to Oxford. Someone I know goes there. He sent me a copy of some exam questions he had to do once... It was horrible. I could've aced his exams without going to any of his lectures. Whereas here I screw up every freaking assignment I get. And his degree will probably count for twice as much as mine just because it's Oxford.

I hate reality so.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome sauce!
    Dude!
    Gothicgasm.
    Ooh, Lovecraft. I declare awesome on that course. Tell us you're taking it!

And then tell us how it goes. We must know. FOR SCIENCE!
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Ooh, Lovecraft. I declare awesome on that course. Tell us you're taking it!

And then tell us how it goes. We must know. FOR SCIENCE!
    All lectures are optional. So of course I'm goind to the 20th Century Gothic series.
    And for the joys of science! there will be talking about it. I bet dystopias (ugh) or degeneration theory comes up again. Really, half of his short stories are about degeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    You've finished term already? Bah.
    Eight week terms. :smallsmug:
    For a math student that's about ten problem sheets a week, five of analysis, three hours of computer labs (know what 'Maple' is?), eleven hours of lectures, a tutorial, three or four classes and something else.
    I have a two to three thousand word essay, one obligatory lecture, two classes and a tutorial a week.
    Yeah, Arts students get it easy.
    *relaxes*
    Although next term I'll be doing Old English translations and commentaries alongside the above too.
    Still, Science (and Math) students have all the hard work.

Maybe I should've gone to Oxford. Someone I know goes there. He sent me a copy of some exam questions he had to do once... It was horrible. I could've aced his exams without going to any of his lectures. Whereas here I screw up every freaking assignment I get. And his degree will probably count for twice as much as mine just because it's Oxford.
    You could always try for a masters/PhD/Doctorate here. Although really Cambridge is better for the numbery things. I do agree that the degree name is a bit quite prejudiced; but providing the employer knows how good Warwick is for math then it shouldn't be that difficult.

I hate reality so.
    Which is why I am determined to prove an academic! and stay in my own little world for as long as possible.
    And then I can stop adapting Shakespeare quotations.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Huh?

Is it called the art of language and literature or something then?

*tries to imagine Curly doing charcoal drawings of cthulhu or drawing a webcomic about books with a wacom tablet*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

11. - Top - End - #1091

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Huh?

Is it called the art of language and literature or something then?

*tries to imagine Curly doing charcoal drawings of cthulhu or drawing a webcomic about books with a wacom tablet*

The degree?
    BA (Hons) English Language and Literature.
    It's Latin again: Artium Baccalaureus compared to Scientae Baccalaureus.

Koorly can draw for toffee, provided it's not the expensive stuff, otherwise she has all the artistic talent of a colourblind hedgehog in a paper bag.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-12-04 at 12:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome sauce!
    Dude!
    Gothicgasm.

Your English degree is so much better than my English degree.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Mainly based my post on this.
    Eight week terms. :smallsmug:
    For a math student that's about ten problem sheets a week, five of analysis, three hours of computer labs (know what 'Maple' is?), eleven hours of lectures, a tutorial, three or four classes and something else.
    I have a two to three thousand word essay, one obligatory lecture, two classes and a tutorial a week.
    Yeah, Arts students get it easy.
    *relaxes*.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Bah, you fools and your actual hard majors. Why don't you get wise to the jive of the straße and get where the slacking's at--an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing?

It's just like paying large sums of money for a worthless degree!
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Bah, you fools and your actual hard majors. Why don't you get wise to the jive of the straße and get where the slacking's at--an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing?

That is what I'm doing thank you.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

16. - Top - End - #1096

Then you can be just like me! Cold, cynical, and spending your days chained to a desk!

It'll be just like Office Space! Just without the happy ending...or the fire...

17. - Top - End - #1097

I blame Coidzor for the RB timeloop. In fact, I blame him for most things. Thought you might like to know.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

18. - Top - End - #1098

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post

Your English degree is so much better than my English degree.
    The lecturers here lecture on what they like rather than what's on the course. There should have been a one-off lecture on 'Alice and Visual Trickery' but it was cancelled.
    Also we don't have option blocks like yours.
    My work for this year (bold are my choices):
    Introduction to Literary Studies
    Victorian Literature/Modern Literature
    Old English/Middle English
    Special SUbject (haven't decided yet)
    And while we do have weekly essay topics (Class and Representation in Victorian Fiction for example) we can concentrate on what we want to do in those areas (for that essay I discussed how the two female protagonists of North and SOuth and Mary Barton alienated the reader from the class they represented) and for two weeks each term we have free choice to do whatever we want.

Other universities have set authors; time periods and themes.
    I suppose it's more individual research here and the lectures supplement what we need for essays or what we enjoy. I mean, I'll be going to every one of Dr. Methven's Gothic lecture series this academic year even though I'm doing Old English and Something Not Gothic.
    Plus we can go to all lectures offered even for FInals students and post-grads.
    Heck, I can even smuggle people in. It's not like they check for ID or anything; I swear, I could just invite everyone up and take them to an English lecture of their choice.

And I have just realised how British I am. Things not packed that should be:
    kettle
    tea cup
    teaspoon
    tea bags

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Titan in the Playground

Note to self if ever visiting Britland during academic year within couple of years: Visit Curly at Oxford.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Bugbear in the Playground

......................must.... remember.....................buy.............. coffee.

..............................fading.............. fast..............

no hope...................... for m................................ *headdesk*
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Banned

Starbucks!

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Then you can be just like me! Cold, cynical, and spending your days chained to a desk!

It'll be just like Office Space! Just without the happy ending...or the fire...
    Not me--I'm going to strike gold and become the writer-king. This is a fact.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Banned

Not me--I'm going to strike gold and become the writer-king. This is a fact.
    I believe that that title belongs to someone else.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

For now, perhaps.

For now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1105

Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    ......................must.... remember.....................buy.............. coffee.

..............................fading.............. fast..............

no hope...................... for m................................ *headdesk*
    Now comes the real question: do we administer emergency caffeine or rifle thru his pockets while he's out?

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Banned

Both!

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Barbarian in the Playground

three hours of computer labs (know what 'Maple' is?)
    Unfortunately, yes, I do know what Maple is. Maple is completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero

I hate reality so.
    Man, I know that feeling. I have a friend at a major Ivy League college (don't remember which one right now), whereas I'm at my public state college, and everything I do is harder. Yet his degree is worth more than mine.

Also, there is most definitely snow on my ground. Yay for weird weather patterns!

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Ettin in the Playground

For now, perhaps.

For now.
    For I am the writer-king!

He is, hurrah for out writer-king!

And it is it is a glorious thing to be a writer-king!

29. - Top - End - #1109

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    For I am the writer-king!

He is, hurrah for out writer-king!

And it is it is a glorious thing to be a writer-king!
    Mixing Pirate King and Major General eh?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

Ha, I am king of punnery and improvisation!
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2009-12-04 at 03:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!