New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What's YOUR Label?

Question bit:

A spin-off of my question on Hot Topic. People go on--in my school too--that they don't have a label, or that they're labeled incorrectly, or they have a unique label. So, I ask you all, what is YOUR label? Yes, you have one--or rather, a combination of many. Saying that you don't have one is fine too.

Now you can spin this question in a few direction, but it all comes down to what you consider to be your own sense of style and/or fashion. Just because you wear a t-shirt all the time doesn't mean it's your sense of style; keep that in mind.

---------------------------------------

Personal bit:

Me? I wear jeans, work boots, a random t-shirt and a nice open button-down over top of that. I also wear a nice fedora with a purple pinstripe sash. That's what I wear. With that in mind, I don't know what to label myself besides a very beige "Indie".

Personally, I'd much rather wear a frock of my own design--like a quilt--that can be customized into multiple forms. Here's a description of a character I made that uses my very own sense of style:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    [A] finely crafted frock. An assortment of patches are loosely sewn in to cover a thousand holes. The bottom is symmetrically jagged with jangle bells hanging from the peaks, which live along it's upper tibia. [My] pants, so loose and comfortable, are that of a Thai fisherman. Their garnet colour fills the mind with the flavour of a fine wine, aged perfectly. The aged earthy-coloured bucket boots below them cover just under the knee; with wooden soles. Buckling together, [my] long holly vest covers [my own] body from a bit into the neck down to it's outer thigh. Underneath that is a naturally coloured, and naturally covered, short kurta. To hide [my] hands are very victorian, finely knitted fingerless gloves, which overlap half-fingered green gloves, which overlap fully fingered gloves of a purple colour. The neck, since I should mention this, is covered by a stocking of sorts. Only black can be seen with it, leading to it's mask. The mask is a strange little thing--it's mouth can move with the jaw, as if it were part of [me]; and the lips are sealed with a seemingly stretchy and thick thread. It's smile is wide, though only darkness shines through--no lips to be seen. The nose is long, and sharp. The chin smoothly covers under the jaw, and the rest of the face does this with their part as well. The eyes are shaded lenses like that of a gas mask. The centre of the lenses each have a yellow dot, as if to imply jaundice. Sometimes, you could think, it moves as a pupil would. The mask continues past the forehead with an attached wig of hair. Feathers would be said more accurate of a description--they are feathers that simulate hair. Black, silken, numerous, reaching down to the upper back. Atop them is a dark nappa leather hat looking like a cornucopia; it's short and curved back making it appear to be a simple cavalier's hat from the front, but possibly a witches hat from the side. The brim is wide and flat. Overall, the hat looks like it has taken a quiet beating, slightly cut and scratched as if it had been out in the traffic. A pretty scarf of red is wrapped thickly around the crown. It's knot on the rear guides the remaining fabric off the edge, reaching [my] neck. Since I've started on accessories, I may as well indulge you in the rest. [I] wears three belts, all ebony and leather. Each of them cross with each other at some point, though not at the buckle, which all three are aligned. A sword is carried, not by them, but a baldric made of MANY shoelaces. While the baldric lies on the outside of the coat, the belts are wrapped around the vest over top a golden sash and two pistols. An assortment of trinkets and such cover it's clothes, unorganized in all. On [my] right thumb is ring carrying a crystallized fairy that no one believed existed.
    Yes, the mask is included. Oh, and ring. :P The sword mentioned would be made out of wood due to personal preference. A waster dha would be neat. Of course, the guns would need to be cap based.

With that description of my truer sense of style, I'd list myself as "Pirate Indie" if that makes any sense. Most of the design comes from independent tailors' ideas that I've derived from. I've been looking through etsy and other places for a while just to find people who could make these. >> I'll probably train myself to sew and stitch so I can do at least the frock myself. (the rest would be easier to just buy. Cheaper for me too.)

This is all rather expensive in the short run (like Gucci expensive), but they should all last me quite some time (except the boots' soles, which will likely need repair every two years). I also want to buy a ship-house, but that's later. (shush you naysayers!)

-------------------

The rest:

Man, that took me longer than I thought it would to write. (Well, it took me less time to write, and more time to edit, stare at, and tell myself that it reads properly and well enough as to not make me sound like a complete idiot...) Hopefully I haven't scared any of you off with my dress preferences either.

Oh, and I like my hair short. Yes, Nameless: SHORT HAIR!

...edited briefly. I don't like to force labels onto people, so I half-hope this topic dies.
    Last edited by Boo; 2009-11-23 at 09:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What's YOUR Label?

Do grown-ups get labels? Yes, that's the label.
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2009-11-23 at 08:12 AM.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

3. - Top - End - #3

*looks at real life friends* Yes. Although one of them claims "grown-up" is a label. I never bothered to deny that claim. Still won't.

EDIT: I suddenly regret posting this thread. ...Dammit.

@V: I don't know how disliking willfully stupid/ignorant people can set you up as a snob.
    Last edited by Boo; 2009-11-23 at 09:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm...just an Anuan. If I tried to see what subcultures/labels/whatever I'd fit into, I'd mostly just say Geek, of the Gamer variety. Other than that...especially as far as clothes go...labels don't really cover me. I'm into martial arts, weapons, plays, games, and standup comedy. I wear whatever fits and is comfortable and I don't hate the look of, that aren't jeans.
    I deplore willfull stupidity and ignorance. Does that put me in the Intellectual Snob subculture? I dunno.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Machine Wash.
    Tumble Dry.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

apparently i get lumbered in vaguely with the 50s/rockabilly crowd due to the plaid shirts and slick hair... but thats about as close as it gets to a label for me
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know if this is the kind of label you're talking about, but

NERD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldPhoenix View Post

NERD.

Myself as well. And proud of it.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Machine Wash.
    Tumble Dry.
    I like rolling down hills too, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of washing?

@NERD: Yeah, that's perfectly fine. Any label you can make for yourself is a label you should be proud to wear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I definitely fit the geek label, and I've got no problem with that. Other than that, I'm me, I guess. Is 'pretty laid back about everything' a label?

Anyway, labels are fun as long as you remember that you define them, not the other way around.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

My friend Michelle once told me I was really white.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In high school: nerd, theater geek. Personal style never really came into play during school hours, since our high school had a dress code. (It was a prep school, though absolutely not everybody who went there was actually a "preppie.")
    Now: nerd, writer, dad.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NERD.

Hell ya. I enjoy gaming, reading fantasy novels, playing Magic, and I want to start playing DnD.

I like to wear comfortable clothes, T shirt, loose jeans, open sweater.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2009-11-23 at 10:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I'm me, without a label. Labels are for store goods, not for people.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

15. - Top - End - #15

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

My friends call me Pandora sometimes. It's pretty accurate. I'm curious to the point of it being a fault, sometimes, and stubborn like no other. Add on the Fox part (yes, my handles on line are either Syka Fox or Pandora Fox), and you have a pretty good picture of me.

That's about as much of a label as can apply to me. I'm pretty chamaelon in that way.

Recently the following words were used as descriptors for me by my group members in my OB class: smart, movies, motivated, curious, risk taker, lover, cute, ambitious, studious, hard worker. Then they proceeded to tell me the animal I'm most like is a dolphin, the food I'm most like is spicy stuff or soda, and the musical instrument I am most like is a piano. I'm still confused by the piano.

Maybe you can get a label out of that?

I never had one in high school either. Cliques were, in general, pretty fluid at my school. There weren't many well defined ones, lots of overlap. The jocks, smart kids, druggies, goths- I hung out with them all. My close friends were like me, though, where we kinda blurred the lines even more.

Going just by looks, depending on the day, I'd be classed as either a surfer-type (lots of tank tops in bright colors and jeans), and rocker/punk (I utilize my concert tees and other black shirts I have with jeans), or goth (yes, on occasion I still break out the goth stuff).
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

17. - Top - End - #17

...Would I be wrong to call you "Quilted"? Hmm... I might just use that for myself.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    ...Would I be wrong to call you "Quilted"? Hmm... I might just use that for myself.
    Hmm...Quilted would work, although it is attached in my mind to "Quilted Northern Bathroom Tissue" because it's always on sale where I work, lol.

Eclectic is more my style. Or Patchwork, maybe?
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

19. - Top - End - #19

Aww! Now I'm thinking it!

...Eclectic sounds more your style from what I know about you (most distinguished, classy, and... a specific nice word that I can't think of right now.). Patchwork would better suit someone like me whom, although enjoys nice things, is generally 'patchy'. By the way: I am now wearing a cloth over one eye due to blurred vision caused by sleep deprivation. This is unavoidable since I need to finish lots of work, and I'm almost certain I have ADD. Which reminds me... (I need to get back to work.)

EDIT: WOAH! I have never seen so clearly before... (I wear glasses, and my right eye is apparently magical?)
    Last edited by Boo; 2009-11-23 at 11:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Animation student.

That's a label by itself.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Do grown-ups get labels? Yes, that's the label.
    Sorta.

After graduating high school, seem labels dwindle in relevance, but that's just because terms like "jock," "prep," and "nerd" are replaced by judgments based on your career and political/social/religious values. Adults are just as cliquish, only they think of it in grander terms.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

nerdy college guy.

though I did piss off a lot of people by being difficult to place due to changing my look every so often aside from usually wearing my green trench coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have three major 'labels', in terms of clothing that I normally wear. On some days--and this is probably my truest fashion--I'm a 'Mountain Hippie', resplendent with Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, Colombia Titanium, Marmot, North Face, and REI gear...hiking shorts, hiking shirt, soft shell jacket, Merell shoes...

On other days, I end up being the 'fashionably preppy kid', with a slightly more edgy look, which is a label that at mostly comes out when I'm hanging out with other gay people. Clingy V-Neck shirts, tight pants, cute underwear, casual button-up shirts with sleeves rolled up, multiple bracelets, etc. Mostly stuff from H&M, Macy's, Calvin Klein, American Eagle, other generic overpriced retailers.

Then, there's the eponymous teenager/college student look: normal t-shirt, jeans or shorts. Nothing special. Stuff from Marshall's, or Target.

My least formal, least stylish fashion--the mountain hippie one--is probably the most expensive one...outdoor gear isn't cheap, not in the least. But I don't wear that stuff to look good, really...
    "Call me Ishmael."

Thanks to Adghar for the avatar.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a nerd. Always has been, always will be. And I'm proud of it!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Not Fit for Human Consumption.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Dad. white text

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

Labels? Honestly, Jacklu is my label, both online and IRL. So much so that when friends describe me they tend to do so with the phrase: "What's he like? He's Jacklu." Digging deeper (clothes deep) I wear jeans and a t-shirt year round. Not ratty t-shirts. Usually plain solid color ones with no words on them. Actually, as odd as it might sound, the most critical part of my outfit, to me, is my half boots that I wear. Like hiking boots it they were cross bred with a pair of sneakers. Just about the only shoes I can wear without my feet dying. And I wear them regardless of the rest of my outfit. Yes, even if the rest of my outfit is a tuxedo.

But let us take a step further, shall we? I am a geek with a light peppering of nerd. Gamer in both its usages, though casual on both accounts. I've been known as a jack of all trades when it comes to knowledge, choosing to dabble in all fields rather than focus on any one subject too intensely. A reader is another label that fits me well. A writer too. Most common among my labels is that of joker. Life's a joke; you can either laugh along or get angry because you just don't get it. Peacemaker also applies to me, always choosing to fight for the middle ground rather than picking sides. Acting as the go-between for quarreling friends. Smoothing things over and trying to calm turbulent waters.

But that it not all, is it? I also fall under the label of pansexual and transgender. Heavy titles to be sure. I also bare the label of depression and Obsessive Compulsive. I am tough on myself and prone to extremely low self esteem and self worth. Lonely, hurt, sensitive; all these apply to me well.

So, what does all that add up to? Well, I already said. My label is Jacklu. It fits me well I think.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I usually wear quite "old fashioned" clothes, don't know what label that would be.

What labels could be seen to apply to me: socialist, pacifist, vegan, (science-, philosophy/ethics-, star trek-, biology-, loophole-) geek, idealist, some have called me a feminist, some have called me a "skater" (don't know what that means, I have never even touched such a thing)... Don't know what more.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NERD.

*high fives*
    yeah. "Nerd" pretty much describes me.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy