New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Variant: extended rolls for natural 1s and 20s

I don't know if this variant has already been thought of by someone. Please tell me whether you think this is balanced or makes the game worse.

This variant applies to hit rolls, saving throws, and any time the usual rules would say that a 20 is an automatic success and a 1 an automatic failure. It therefore doesn't apply to ability rolls.
    When you roll the d20 and get a natural 20, add 1d6-1 to the result. If this brings the roll up to 25, add another 1d6-1, and so on.
    When you roll the d20 and get a natural 1, subtract 1d6-1 to the result. If this brings the roll down to -5, subtract another 1d6-1, and so on.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Variant: extended rolls for natural 1s and 20s

Quote Originally Posted by Pigkappa View Post
    I don't know if this variant has already been thought of by someone. Please tell me whether you think this is balanced or makes the game worse.

This variant applies to hit rolls, saving throws, and any time the usual rules would say that a 20 is an automatic success and a 1 an automatic failure. It therefore doesn't apply to ability rolls.
    When you roll the d20 and get a natural 20, add 1d6-1 to the result. If this brings the roll up to 25, add another 1d6-1, and so on.
    When you roll the d20 and get a natural 1, subtract 1d6-1 to the result. If this brings the roll down to -5, subtract another 1d6-1, and so on.
    I dunno, I kinda enjoy rolling to see what silliness occurs on a critical fumble. I have a d% table for that.

I also enjoy seeing the joy on a player's face when he/she invokes the equivalent of a headshot in DnD. I play with an instant death rule. A player rolls a natural 20. Rolls to confirm. Comes up a natural 20. Monster makes a death by massive damage save. Monster fails save. Monster dies. (If the monster makes the save, the monster is "stunned" and loses its next action, and takes whatever normal crit damage for the weapon is.)
    Note: This is only on a natural 20, with something that crits on 19-20 or whatever, it is still only on a natural 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Why not use exploding dice on 1s and 20s?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's quite dangerous in my opinion. When a player will be killed by a mouse because that rolls two 20s in a row, he will be reasonably angry. Also, that way a level 1 archer who suprises an ancient gold dragon has more than a 0,01% chance to kill the dragon with one arrow. An ancient dragon fighting a group of 1000 archers has a decent chance to be oneshotted by an arrow, which is kinda strange IMHO.

[I was answering dsmiles, but exploding dices are dangerous too ]
    Last edited by Pigkappa; 2009-11-25 at 11:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

An alterneate rule in the DMG does the same thing but you require three natural 20's in a row(natural 20 to hit,natural 20 to confirm, natural 20 to kill).
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I like the stacking-crit rule that I've seen used.

You roll within your crit range. You roll to confirm. It's also in your crit range? You roll again to confirm (till you do not get a crit roll)

If you confirmed, say, 5 times, you crit '5x'. As in, for x2 crits, it is;

x2x2x2x2x2 = x6 damage, and for x4 crits;
    x4x4x4x4x4 = x16 damage.

It makes for super damaging shots, but the chance of a L1 archer one-shotting a great wyrm is EXTREMELY small.

Which works well, since it COULD happen.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pigkappa View Post
    That's quite dangerous in my opinion. When a player will be killed by a mouse because that rolls two 20s in a row, he will be reasonably angry. Also, that way a level 1 archer who suprises an ancient gold dragon has more than a 0,01% chance to kill the dragon with one arrow. An ancient dragon fighting a group of 1000 archers has a decent chance to be oneshotted by an arrow, which is kinda strange IMHO.

[I was answering dsmiles, but exploding dices are dangerous too ]
    That's why I treat attack rolls where you confirm a crit with a natural 20 (after confirming THAT, of course) as Coup de Graces.

Mouse got a double nat 20 on you? Make a DC 12 Fort save.

Of course, when you get to higher levels, it can get ridiculous.

Power attacking for +10 damage, with a +10 bonus from Strength, and that's a DC 50 save before even rolling for damage.

But you know, my players support the rule, even though I've told them they might fall victim to it.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.