New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Against the Dragon: An ECL 20 Mini-Adventure

Much like with towns, I'd prefer not to light a forest on fire while I'm still in it. Also the guy I followed makes me suspect that our... friend... which we are searching for may reside in this town. Apparently there's a powerful spellcaster who prefers if people don't talk about her. Slightly unusual in parts of the world where magic is perfectly legal.

2. - Top - End - #122

"How do you want me to handle the vines? Disintegration?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Kagrenac smiled. So long as I don't get hurt you can do whatever you want! I'm not sure how they're hurting anything though. How do we intend to find the dragon, assuming he is in this town?
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-02 at 11:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

"Force its hand?"

How many people are around, PR? I'd like to MM the vines to see if they're live or not.

Incidentally, team, why isn't this dragon hiding? Perhaps this whole town is a trap?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-02 at 11:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    "Force its hand?"

How many people are around, PR? I'd like to MM the vines to see if they're live or not.

Incidentally, team, why isn't this dragon hiding? Perhaps this whole town is a trap?
    A tavern, after close?
    Nobody's around.

But there are no vines. You're seeing the true form of the window. It's vines, that have been polymorphed. So while you see what it really is underneath the magic, the magic's still on it. As long as Polymorph Any Object is on the window, it's a window, not vines.

6. - Top - End - #126

Hm. I see. Can I tell if Dispel Magic or Break Enchantment would be more suitable?

7. - Top - End - #127

Hm. I see. Can I tell if Dispel Magic or Break Enchantment would be more suitable?
    Dispel magic has a shot at dispelling the effect, based on the roll versus caster level. If successful, the window (and, in an area version, any other such effects) would revert to their previous state.

Break enchantment only functions on creatures, so it wouldn't be of any use here.

8. - Top - End - #128

Can I take that to mean it's not one of those assassin vines I hear so much about?
    "Ok, I could examine the vines and see what they are made of, but I have no way of returning them to window form. Might just be regular vines that... hm. Were made into building materials? Why would anyone do that? Is this the only building like that around here?"

I use Greater Arcane Sight to look up and down the street at the other buildings.

9. - Top - End - #129

Can I take that to mean it's not one of those assassin vines I hear so much about?
    "Ok, I could examine the vines and see what they are made of, but I have no way of returning them to window form. Might just be regular vines that... hm. Were made into building materials? Why would anyone do that? Is this the only building like that around here?"

I use Greater Arcane Sight to look up and down the street at the other buildings.
    Here and there, there appear to be PaO's on different parts of the permanent buildings.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

What is up with this town? I know you humans are... eccentric... when it comes to architecture, but random objects polymorphed into other things? I guess my only thought is that it must have been cheaper to polymorph the vines into glass than anything else.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Here and there, there appear to be PaO's on different parts of the permanent buildings.
    Vines too?

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    What is up with this town? I know you humans are... eccentric... when it comes to architecture, but random objects polymorphed into other things? I guess my only thought is that it must have been cheaper to polymorph the vines into glass than anything else.

But the cost of hiring a high level spellcaster to do it is prohibitively expensive, and most have better things to do. So it would seem that the dragon wanted to build up the town, and maintain a presence here. Why do you think that is?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-03 at 12:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Windows are worth a few gold, at best. The PaO is pushin 600-700gp in value.

Also, it's not all windows. A section of wall, a piece of roof. A door here, a window there.

EDIT: And yes, in all cases, it's vines, weeds, or other plant matter.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-03 at 12:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

"Would allow for a way in without going through the regular orifices, I suppose."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Not to mention plant matter is important for some of the most useful spells, such as Entangle. I knew a druid who kept large ferns hanging from his ceiling just so he could Entangle anyone who attacked him.

15. - Top - End - #135

"We could convince some of the swamp creatures to attack the town, thereby drawing the dragon out."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

I was considering summoning a handful of flying creatures that had the ability to see past polymorph spells. They'd only be here for about two minutes, though. Perhaps our Druid friend could shapechange into something that can both be invisible and able to see everything? I could then use a Silence spell to make him virtually undetectable.

17. - Top - End - #137

We'd see more polymorphing, certainly. Is it your goal to track down every instance in the town, then plot it on map?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Banned

If there's an obvious pattern, yes. More importantly, if the dragon is masquerading as one of the townsfolk we'll be able to tell which one, won't we?

19. - Top - End - #139

"I can probably walk around spotting with Greater Arcane Sight then, if that's the plan."

Let's do this.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Making note of the building for future reference, Theda and Terry head back to the inn. When she discovers that her companions had not yet returned, she headed out again. As she and Terry walked around to the back of the inn, they transformed in a blink into tiny fae dragons, and settled onto the roof of the building across the street from the inn.

Searching telepathically for an occupant in that building, Theda settles into the roof as best she can (Hide (1d20+10)[26]). If she finds minds inside, she tells the nearest one: "It's urgent. Eolastrix needs to see you right away."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

Kagrenac casts Shield Other on Seto, saying Just in case we run into any trouble, I'd rather heal myself than have to heal you.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"It is as if a spellcaster found this town abandoned, in ruins and decided to rebuild it. Could it not be that the residual conjuration effect we noticed on one of the residents is from a summoning/teleportation that the spellcaster uses to staff this town with people."

Based on the description of plants does Ghrem think they are native to this region or are they from somewhere else? Can he tell if they have been shaped by magic perhaps?

Knowledge Nature (1d20+13)[19]

23. - Top - End - #143

@Theda: After a few minutes, a middle-aged human lady leaves the inn, travelling down the road at a brisk pace.

@Ghrem: The Vines seem to have been formed by magic, but the plants used are not native to the area.

@Seto, Kagrenac: There's no apparent pattern to the Polymorph effects. however. It's as if different areas of the town were repaired via Polymorph. It's quality work though, right down to the the repairs looking equally weathered as the pre-existing construction.

EDIT: Incidentally, Toliudar, clever. I look forward to see how this one pans out.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-03 at 09:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If he is aware what Theda is doing, Ghrem will stealthly follow the middle aged human lady at a discreet distance (say 100 ft).
    Last edited by Tehnar; 2009-12-03 at 10:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once the middle aged lady is about half a block away, one of two things happens:

• If Theda knows where the others are (at the docks, I think), she buzzes past and gives them a quick telepathic update. She ends with the message "Anyone who can be invisible and discreet, follow me. I'll get close enough to the woman for you to identify her, and then change to an invisible form."
    • If Theda doesn't know where the others are, she and Terry change back into pixies and follow the woman, at a height of about 50'

Spoiler
    Show
    PR, you're making me wish this was a real campaign. Good, mysterious setup!
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-12-03 at 10:48 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

26. - Top - End - #146

Theda does not happen to cross within range of telepathy for the group, unfortunately. As Seto, Kagrenac, and Ghrem are investigating the PaO effects across the entirety of the settled area, their exact location isn't easily discerned. You could likely find them with a couple minutes of searching, but there's no telling where your mark would travel in the meanwhile.

The woman continues down the road to the outskirts of town, to one of the many tents. She glances left and right, then ducks under the tent flap, letting it fall behind her as she enters.

If you have a means of both searching for your allies and tailing the woman simultaneously (I discount nothing at level 20. I've had someone animate a simulacrum of themself once in a campaign, for a similar purpose), you could likely alert them by the time the lady reaches the tent.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-03 at 11:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

So there are also no significant magical auras on any people?

28. - Top - End - #148

So there are also no significant magical auras on any people?
    Nope. About 98% of this town looks perfectly normal for a small, but important, port town.

The other 2% seems like a mage's practical joke gone wrong, apparently (PaO, etc).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure that something could be done with shapechange shenanigans to simultaneously follow her and track her companions, but Toliudar isn't thinking of it right now. Since Theda doesn't think - or at least isn't sure - that the tents would be where the dragon is staying, she's content to watch for now.

Seeing the woman enter the tent, Theda and Terry settle into a holding pattern about 300' away, 50' up and 100' off the path to see what happens next.

30. - Top - End - #150

... and it's quiet.