New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151

Default Re: Against the Dragon: An ECL 20 Mini-Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    If you have a means of both searching for your allies and tailing the woman simultaneously (I discount nothing at level 20. I've had someone animate a simulacrum of themself once in a campaign, for a similar purpose), you could likely alert them by the time the lady reaches the tent.
    I delegate the task of searching for allies to my familiar!

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    I delegate the task of searching for allies to my familiar!
    Yes, you do. However, with Theda and Terry's stealth skills, and invisibility to boot, the only way the Imp could possibly locate them is through Telepathy, or possibly a lot of time with detect magic. Both will eventually do it, barring anti-divination/anti-mind effects up, but the down side about hiding is that you do, in fact, become hard to find.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

By "it's quiet", do you mean that no one comes out of that tent, or do you mean there's no one around at all?
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-12-03 at 02:49 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    By "it's quiet", do you mean that no one comes out of that tent, or do you mean there's no one around at all?
    There are occasional people, but they're rather rare, and sparse. It's quite late, after all.

No, the tent is quiet, and nobody's left it. It's rather a small tent. Barely big enough for perhaps 4 people to sleep in, though it's about 5-6 feet tall.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda takes Terry's hand, and descends to a spot behind the tent. If there's an obviously empty tent nearby, they'll step in. Otherwise, she simply waits until there's no one around and then changes into a Rakshasa. She then uses her Detect Thoughts ability to try to learn how many minds there are in the tent. She is NOT proceeding to the second round of scanning.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #156

Theda takes Terry's hand, and descends to a spot behind the tent. If there's an obviously empty tent nearby, they'll step in. Otherwise, she simply waits until there's no one around and then changes into a Rakshasa. She then uses her Detect Thoughts ability to try to learn how many minds there are in the tent. She is NOT proceeding to the second round of scanning.
    Detect Thoughts isn't incredibly precise. How are you limiting the area to just the tent? From the air, it'd be relatively easy (get fairly close, and detect in a cone downward). From the ground, things are a bit more problematic.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-03 at 03:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

singing to himself quietly Torvin flys down to land in the town square before begining to look around with the help of his arcane vision for anything bizarre or out of the ordinary.

Oh the hills are big and green
    and soooo is the fairest orc that eeeevvveeeer you did see
    her hair hung in ringlets, her axe it waaaassss bllaaaackkk...

dum de dum de dum....

OOC: Hello, sorry I'm late but you turn your back for a day and its six pages long... anywho, I figure Torvin'll pick up the gist of the PAO vines fairly quickly and it might take a while dependant on how stealthy they are before he links up with the rest of the team.. so if PR is ok with it the Wizard can just stay in the background until they make themselves obvious.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

8. - Top - End - #158

Sure, there's room for 1 more. We'll enter you near the shapechange effect (Theda/Terry).

Party of 5.

Wizard, Sorceror, Cleric, Druid, Ranger.

Assuming Torvin's spellcraft is high enough to ID the effect on a 1, you'll pick up a shapechange via Arcane Sight.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-03 at 04:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yay, company!

In the meantime...good point about detect thoughts. Terry will turn into an invisible stalker, and hold Rakshasa Theda just over the tent, so she can send the detection downward. Mostly, just making sure that the tent has someone in it, and isn't a portal, covering a tunnel, something like that.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm Ghrem feels kind of special, and not in a good way. Too bad TOB is not allowed or I would have tried out my harpoon thrower.

Ghrem will scour the ground around town looking if there are any odd tracks (ie those not belonging to humans, camels, cats....). Just generally mope around town, periodically checking tracks in places where its conceivable such might be found.

Survival (1d20+15)[22]; FA bonuses may apply.

OOC: Its a long shot, but maybe there is something walking around covered by a illusion or invisibility spell; though given the presence of PAO used so often it seems unlikely.

11. - Top - End - #161

@Theda: 1 life form inside.

@Ghrem: Any sense modes other than standard vision? Standard sense modes reveal nothing (examples scent, see invis, detect X, true seeing, etc)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, what the heck.

Theda shifts swiftly back to pseudodragon form, still held by Terry. At her instruction, he pulls her back in over the tent. She reaches out telepathically to the lifeform in the tent: "There is word of strangers in town, asking about a dragon. Report."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, no other detection modes. But I am looking just for any suspicious tracks, not the eventual creatures that left them.

14. - Top - End - #164

Oh, what the heck.

Theda shifts swiftly back to pseudodragon form, still held by Terry. At her instruction, he pulls her back in over the tent. She reaches out telepathically to the lifeform in the tent: "There is word of strangers in town, asking about a dragon. Report."
    @Theda: You receive no telepathic answer. Do you have the ability to read thoughts, in the event your target is not capable of telepathy?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

From the SRD description of telepathy (emphasis mine):
    A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.
    Communicating with someone implies the two-way flow of information, and conversation is definitely two way. There is no stated requirement that the other creature be telepathic, simply that they have a language. I've always pictured the non-telepath's side of the conversation as being like messages put into a drop box - thoughts left briefly in a part of the brain that the telepath can receive if they're looking for them there.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

I'm hardly impartial but I agree. I always figured the way Telepathy worked was I send a thought into your mind, then you send a thought into your mind and I can take it from your mind.

GM's call though

17. - Top - End - #167

A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.
    A creature with the telepathy ability can communicate with other creatures within the specified range for the ability.

A creature without the ability, therefore, cannot.

I can see where it's open to interpretation, but communication is not necessarily conversation. Communication is imparting an idea or message to another. It is not necessarily mutual exchange. The ability, as stated, does not confer the ability to read minds (for that, you would need an ability to Detect Thoughts), nor does it establish a limit on what can and cannot be read from the creatures you deal with.

The ability does provide the ability to (1) communicate, and (2) address multiple subjects at once. It does not automatically grant the ability to have a full conversation. Remove the above text on mental image, and the same could be said of talking. It won't make a mute man able to answer you, however. To have a conversation, you must have two creatures, able to communicate, same as any other form of conversation.

Sources: SRD, Dictionary Definition

ruling reversal, below.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-04 at 12:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Communication is generally considered a two-way process though.

In any case it's your call, and you said no, he can't hear the thoughts.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Communication is generally considered a two-way process though.

In any case it's your call, and you said no, he can't hear the thoughts.
    Ruling:
    Spoiler
    Show

Tell you what, it's level 20, so it's not as big an issue.

Return communication is allowed, under the following guidelines:
    (1) A creature with telepathy may only hear thoughts that the subject intentionally wishes heard.

(2) A creature without telepathy may only respond to telepathic messages sent within 1 round. It may not initiate conversation by trying to perform unsolicited mental 'talk'.

In other words, the creature with telepathy must establish the connection, and it only lasts for as long as the telepath is maintaining it.

Result:
    Spoiler
    Show

Under these guidelines, you receive no response from the target. It does not choose to send any response.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-04 at 12:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm completely comfortable with those restrictions. Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm going to hang out here for a few minutes, game time, in case mostlyharmful wants to come join me. After that, she and Terry will head back to town and use the tracking ability to try to figure out where the others have gotten to. Spot: (1d20+43)[49] to track them.

After it becomes clear that there is no answer forthcoming, Theda also turns into an invisible stalker. They take up a new holding position above and to one side of the tent.

21. - Top - End - #171

The woman doesn't exit the tent in this time.

In the event that you do leave, you'll be able to find the others in short order. They've travelled by land, haven't covered tracks...

The only difficult thing you have to overcome is high traffic in the area... I'd say you've done that.

22. - Top - End - #172

Perhaps we can all meet up somewhere?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Given that the woman came out of the inn, and Jahanne has no way to know what she might have been able to communicate back to them, Jahanne Theda will suggest that the five of us gather in a secluded area outside of town. She'll describe what she's done and seen.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2009-12-04 at 02:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Excellent. I approve.

25. - Top - End - #175

Given that the woman came out of the inn, and Jahanne has no way to know what she might have been able to communicate back to them, Jahanne will suggest that the five of us gather in a secluded area outside of town. She'll describe what she's done and seen.
    Jahanne? Mean Theda?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hilarious. She's now been misidentified by her own player. No wonder there's a chip on her shoulder.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned

Kagrenac gives his theory that the Dragon lives somewhere in town.

In addition, I'd like to point out that if I can find something that belonged to this Dragon, I can find it. Perhaps tomorrow we can begin looking for artifacts of historical significance in the area? Did anyone happen to brush up on local history before we arrived?

C'mon wizard, you have ranks in Kowledges, right?!?!

28. - Top - End - #178

You know, if the dragon "ownes" the vines...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda nods. "That'd be worth a shot. If you like, I can also try scrying the dragon now."

30. - Top - End - #180

"Ok... but who are you?"