New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Against the Dragon: An ECL 20 Mini-Adventure

I vote for teleport.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

I vote for burrying our haversacks, etc. and using a rope trick.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Actually, Miracle could be used to create a Magnificent Mansion right here. We fly half a mile out to sea before we cast it, and it's virtually unfindable.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Actually, Miracle could be used to create a Magnificent Mansion right here. We fly half a mile out to sea before we cast it, and it's virtually unfindable.
    OOC: Do you really think I'm THAT devious? That's a lot of paranoia, lol. Heck, at first, I figured you'd split a room or two at the inn.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-05 at 01:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

We're facing an opponent who's hundreds of years old, with an entire town working for him or scared of him, and access to eighth level spells and genies. I think everything short of "personal demiplane" is pretty reasonable.

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    We're facing an opponent who's hundreds of years old, with an entire town working for him or scared of him, and access to eighth level spells and genies. I think everything short of "personal demiplane" is pretty reasonable.
    Hey, don't let me stop you. I'm enjoying this on so many levels.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Banned

Seriously let's rope trick and if you have Handy Haversacks or something just burry them and alarm them.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    Seriously let's rope trick and if you have Handy Haversacks or something just burry them and alarm them.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alarm doesn't function across planar boundaries. Greater Alarm will, to an extent, but not to a Rope Trick. That's what protects you from most divinations, but it also stops many other forms of magic.

On a side note, during the discussion, it's noted that you're being watched from an upstairs window outside the tavern. It appears to be a middle aged man, and it's pretty obvious he just arrived.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Meh, Rope Trick and one person on watch.

Don't look now, but I think we've acquired a fan.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What ho good travellers.. my divinations informed me of the possiblity of worthy comrades in arms at this locality, should the potent eminations of your auric harmonies be correct in identifying you as those self same heroic potentates of nobility may I present myself forthwith and henceforth. torvin the mage, nice to meet you.
    If I correctly deduce from your actions an attempt to ascertain pertinent intelligence lets see what I can drag from the depths of my prodigious intellect...

Lore check on the Dragon (d20+21)[28]
    Knowledge Arcana (d20+40)[43]
    Knowledge History (d20+15)[22]

I can also prepare a magnificant abode for us all with but a quarter hours reading if the group would wish to wait

If it's a positive then use the seventh level slot kept empty for a MMM. I suggest those of us that can fly carry those as can't and we rest out to sea or at altitude.

My suggestion would be to retire to a safe place since initial forays have been abundantly absent from the realms of sucess in the aquisition of information. Those amongst our small band with a particular familiarity with those matters arcane and divine as leaves them informed to the course of the world may wish to turn to their trusty implements after a few hours diligent study to divine all they are able to from the ether.

If the dragon's so good at being weird and covering up from us lets throw divinations at it for a while, rest and reprep.

Edit: And the guy at the window could be important. Why don't some of the team look into him while Torvin preps the mansion. I've also got a teleport if we get properly paranoid.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-12-05 at 04:53 AM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

11. - Top - End - #221

Lore: The name Eolestrix is notable in a few obscure legends, and is in reference to a Brass dragon with the strength of a giant and the spirit of a rogue. The legend in question came to be over 600 years ago.

Knowledge (Arcana): 2 relevant pieces of information on Brass dragons:
    - Vulnerable to Ice
    - 9th level spell caster, with access to many spells considered divine.

Knowledge (history): No relevant information.

12. - Top - End - #222

Seto breaks out into a burst of abrupt breakdancing.

Perform: (1d20+14)[30]

His familiar will try to cast Suggestion (CD 15) on the man.

Suggestion: It is all a dream, so why not just go to sleep? Being up and about while dreaming tires one out, and makes it hard to work the morning after. So leave this dream for the quiet bliss of dreamless sleep.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-05 at 05:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223

Will: (1d20-1)[11] (-1 penalty for reasonable suggestion)

And the man departs to go to sleep.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2009-12-05 at 05:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

"Any other matters that need attending to? If not, I say we rest. I have enough Fly spells for everyone who can't fly under their own power, and teleporation as well, though it'd be a damn sight simpler to teleport to the mountains and set up camp there."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That sounds fine. Seto please teleport us as I only have the one casting prepped. Now, let us retire to safety and comfort to return once we are better informed as to our opponents perculiarities...
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

16. - Top - End - #226

"Let us all join hands, and move in a counterclockwise direction... Come on, it's just a jump to the left..."

Seto casts Teleport.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

Lorkhan gifts me with the ability to fly. I will be able to join you under my own power.

So, should we prepare for combat tomorrow, or are we looking to continue our investigation?
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-05 at 05:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

We know almost nothing whatsoever about our opponent. The OP set up seems critical but not so time sensitive that we can't take a few days getting ready. Half the power of a high level team is the ability to cut down on stuff that they don't know about. I for one vote for a few days of communes and CoPs first. I want to know this things favourite colour and prefered brand of toothpaste before we meet it rather than just its name and type.

So. after resting Torvin can prepare a whole slew of scrying and Contact other plane for us...

What are the questions we're wanting exactly?

Possible selection.
    1. Where is the lair of the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix?
    2. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite minion?
    3. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite offensive spell?
    4. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's fvourite defensive spell?
    5. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's lairs most powerful protection?
    6. Who, other than Eolestrix, knows most about his tactics and protections?
    7. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite escape tactic when cournered?
    8. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's most powerful spells known?
    9. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix know we're hunting him?
    10. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix regularly leave his lair?
    11. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix have any powerful allies that are able to come to his defense instantly or within moments of him being attacked?
    12. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix use the spell Contingency?
    13. If he does then what is it's activation condition?
    14. What is the effect tied to his Contingency?
    more always welcome....
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-12-05 at 06:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I will fly by myself to your magnificent abode, however my fly time is limited to 5 minutes, thus I wish it is not too far. I would prefer if we just made camp and kept watch either in the inn or outside of town."

Once we are inside the mansion/campsite, Ghrem will ask:

"What are in general the abilities of Brass Dragons? I must confess that Ive spent a lifetime hunting dragons, though I learned nothing about them during that time. If they were not color coded, I would not be able to tell them apart."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Theda and Terry turn into a pair of female humans - neither of which look like Theda. She takes Seto's hand, and Terry's. She looks over at Kagrenac and Ghrem.

"Um. We're teleporting. Might as well stick together. I'm sure Seto's got a very good place picked out in his head, but I don't know how far it is, and if we go off course at all, you'll have trouble finding us while flying. Why don't we all head off together?"

--

I agree that spending some more time in divination is not a bad thing, although divinations directly on Eolestrix are likely to fail. I was thinking that, come morning, I might spend some time scrying one of the people we met, to see if there's anything they do differently when we're not around.

Also, note that commune is yes/no only, & contact other plane is normally restricted to one-word answers.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

Oh I figured Kagrenac mentioned that he could fly and the shrugged and joined the circle.

Hold on, before we go...
    Kagrenac lets do of the hand he was holding.

Well he clearly has Mind Blank up and will almost certainly have it up tomorrow. I suppose if anyone had any tricks we could use his name to scry on his lair. In any case, we can be reasonably sure that he knows, or at least has access to, Major Creation and Polymorph Any Object, which means our toughness will be a great asset. Also means at least 8th level spells. More importantly, there's something fishy about this town.

Maybe we should sit down and let the Wizard use the True Lore ability from Loremaster? Collect the legends, etc., of this town. If characters about 11th level are legends, this dragon should be beyond a legend.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2009-12-05 at 02:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

"Ask questions about the town! The town!"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

I'm really, really glad I remembered that. Unfortunately I think doing it on the dragon will take weeks. May be worth it though...

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

True Lore says it duplicates the 'effect' of the spell once a day so I think it's down to DM ruling whether it still takes the time of a ledgend lore which would be weeks or if it's just a standerd action since it only duplicates the effect.

That being said once Seto's teleported us Torvin can prep a Contact Other Plane to get some initial clues with the blank sixth level slot and we can get the answers to 12 questions with reasonable reliable chances of them being good intel. Mindblank doesn't stop it due to it being a question asked of a deity and not targeted on the critter in question.

So, unless anyone gets a brain wave I'll start off with:

1. Where is the lair of the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix?
    2. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite minion?
    3. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite offensive spell?
    4. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's fvourite defensive spell?
    5. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's lairs most powerful protection?
    6. Who, other than Eolestrix, knows most about his tactics and protections?
    7. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's favourite escape tactic when cournered?
    8. What is the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix's most powerful spells known?
    9. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix know we're hunting him?
    10. Does the Brass Wyrm Eolestrix use the spell Contingency?
    11. If he does then what is it's activation condition?
    12. What is the effect tied to his Contingency?

contacting a greater deity who presumably knows why we're doing this and is fairly ok about dropping us helpful hints in return for all their worshippers continuing to exist and breed and such. Torvin automakes the Int check due to luckstone and ioun stone giving a +1 each.

The town can be the target of the Greater Lore effect if the casting time on the dragon's too great although in that case I'd better pop back there to do it, if the dragons a no-go Torvin can shapechange into a genie and planeshift a couple times to within a few miles of the town and then use Phantom Steed to get there in negligable time. after that it's probably a good idea to rest up in comfort and prepare about twenty CoPs. seriously guys, what questions are we wanting asked?
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-12-05 at 02:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

"I'd still like to know something of the town itself."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Then start off with my crystal ball, scan the town for anywhere you can't see clearly and make sure to check out all the underground bits you can.

hands Seto Crystal Ball.

Other than that what spells would you like one or two word answers to about the town and I'll modify the list before casting it.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-12-05 at 02:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

"Just figure out what has been going on with this town if certain veins of inquiry, such as the ones about favorite minions or whatnot, don't yield results. By the way, what kind of crystal ball is it?"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-05 at 03:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Crystal kind.... it's got a nice burnished finish. Made by me during my 'Goth' phase of adolescence so it's possessed of something of a moody nature. Given your propensity for extroverted extravagence I thought that possibly it would respond well to your particular brand of mystical manner.

It's a bog standerd one so don't expect to see through any illusions but at the moment I'm thinking of Seto as something of a ADHD teenager that needs a destraction. And really what better distraction than a tv with limitless voyeuristic capability?

29. - Top - End - #239

"How does one, um, scan for underground areas if you can only focus on people with the scrying?"

I'll scry on the man at the window, along with the drunk, but I don't see how this is going to help find hidden areas.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-05 at 03:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Again, we need to focus on questions with one word answers, and questions that don't have answers that will be meaningless to us. A lot of the questions you've listed are fantastic. I've suggested a couple of alterations to bring it down to short answers, but ultimately, of course, your call.

1. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix sleep above ground?
    2. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix sleep within 5 miles of Balkhash?
    3. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix usually sleep east of Balkhash?
    4. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix usually sleep south of Balkhash?
    5. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix usually sleep west of Balkhash?
    6. Who is the Brass Dragon Eolestrix's favourite minion?
    7. What is the Brass Dragon Eolestrix's favourite offensive spell?
    8. What is the Brass Dragon Eolestrix's fvourite defensive spell?
    9. What is the Brass Dragon Eolestrix's lairs most powerful protection?
    10. Who, other than Eolestrix, knows most about his tactics and protections?
    11. What is the Brass Dragon Eolestrix's most powerful spells known?
    12. Does the Brass Dragon Eolestrix know we're hunting him?