New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Default Guitar Hero or Rock Band? (Wii)

So yes. I'm currently considering maybe getting one of the two for the wii. Problem is, I'm not sure which I should go for, pros cons of both, numbers of songs, etc.

So:

- What are the songs like on both? Which one has more songs, etc?
    - I've heard that Rock Band instruments while not as "nice" are more reliable than Guitar Hero's. Is this true? Should I consider this as a factor?
    - Which one is better for vocals?
    - Which/what would you recommend overall?
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Guitar Hero or Rock Band? (Wii)

I have Guitar Hero III (which is guitar only, not band) and Rock Band 2. The instrument differences are somewhat different on the Wii. The Wii Guitar Hero guitars have a slot where you insert the wii-mote, so it uses up a wii-mote when you use one. The Rock Band guitars are all stand-alone. I find that using the Wii-mote makes the Guitar Hero ones slightly more responsive in terms of deploying Star Power / Overdrive. But that's not really that big a deal usually, and means you may need more Wii-motes at some point as well.

Honestly the biggest difference between the 2 games is the drums. If you have a chance to try them out I'd just base it on which drums you like best. If you're not planning on doing much drumming I've heard that Guitar Hero is slightly better for just playing Guitar solo.

One minor thing in favor of Rock Band is that you can get The Beatles Rock Band, which I'm enjoying quite a bit, even though I'm not really a Beatles fan. Theoretically though, you could use Guitar Hero instruments with The Beatles so it's not that big a deal, but I always wonder how well the drum parts fit themselves to the different drum sets.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by The Valiant Turtle View Post
    One minor thing in favor of Rock Band is that you can get The Beatles Rock Band, which I'm enjoying quite a bit, even though I'm not really a Beatles fan. Theoretically though, you could use Guitar Hero instruments with The Beatles so it's not that big a deal, but I always wonder how well the drum parts fit themselves to the different drum sets.
    Not sure about the Wii, but on the 360 if you use the World Tour drum set in Rock Band 2, one of the symbals (the orange one I think) turns off and you end up using only 4 of the 5 colours. I'd imagine it would be the same for both consoles.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Okay then. I'm not that much into drumming so instrument wise you'd say that Guitar Hero would be better?

Useful that you can use GH instruments with Rock Band, thanks for that info. Makes my decisions a tad easier if I go with one or both of these.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, Guitar Hero has waaay better guitar parts, rock band has better drum parts, except that the standard model has no cymbals.

For contollers, I actually like GH better then RB, even though you have to use a Wiimote. The guitars just seem more ergonamic or something, and as for the drums, see above. I have no experience with GH vocals, but RB is pretty good there.

All that being said, I think RB probably has a better selection of songs, what with their 'track pack' things you can buy. I saw metal, country and AC/DC at the store the other day, and they almost certainly have others.
    Last edited by Linkavitch; 2010-02-11 at 02:00 PM.
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.