New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Ithelus and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus fishes the purse containing eight crowns from his belt and hands it to Kliener. 'Well, thing is I'm not only here about the payment, I want to ask you a few questions if I'm allowed.'

He pauses, 'About Dort.'
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dort? Hanged, if I'm not mistaken," said Kleiner, without a trace of remorse. "What would you want to know about him?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar et al

Spoiler
    Show
    "Not really...them? What do you mean? Surely Maria's still what she ever was?" Lothar whispers, trying to ensure the strange conversation isn't overheard.

Speaking a bit louder, to the old servant: "What sort of 'strange ideas', anyway? You ain't sayin' she took up engineering?" He grins, scratching at his powder burn.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus flinched. 'Well, sir, you see my earlier plan has kinda fallen through. What with those two murders being put down to sorcery and all the Hounds are gonna be around for quite a while. So I need to prove that they are being extortionate, get Halbermann arrested and the rest disbanded. So I heard Dort was taken down to make an example to people by the Hounds. Well, sir, I'm just asking if you know who I could talk to regarding finding out more about him being hung and all.'
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    The servant shrugged.

"Her old dad doted on her. She wanted an education, so he bought her one. Pulled some strings at the University, got her taught philosophy and politics and such-like." He shook his head. "It's not right, educating women. That's why she came back so full of herself. They ha'n't got space in their heads for big ideas."

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner shook his head.

"I can't help you there. Mister Dort and me, we were rivals. If I'd known much about his business partners, I would've made life difficult for 'em, you can count on it. We each kept our secrets from each other."

"I can tell you where the old sod used to live, but the Hounds'll have a lid on that place tighter than a Marienburger's purse. You want my advice, steer well clear of the whole business."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-17 at 06:45 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya tilted her head and looked at the human with bemused confusion... seemingly forgetting her mutterings to Lothar. Or just choosing not to continue them.

Human women can't learn? She asked quizzically, She seemed pretty smart. Maybe she sounds like she does not because she's educated... but because no one else here is. It's very hard when no one else around you can understand what you're talking about.

She shrugged slightly, already drifting to a new line of thought like a stray bit of wood amidst a rough sea.

Is that all they teach at that university? Politics and philosophy?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

7. - Top - End - #757

Lothar and Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar opened his mouth to answer Illiiya, and immediately thought better of it; instead he raised a tankard. "To women!"
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    The man half-heartedly raised his glass.

"To women," he said. "At least, the right women."

Looking at Illiiya, he swished his mouthful of ale from cheek to cheek before swallowing.

"I'm not a professor. I don't know what they teach. All sorts, I s'pose. Not that it does 'em any good. If them nobles had to do a proper job for a day, that'd teach 'em more than all their fancy books and tutors." He struck his glass on the table for emphasis. "Most of 'em ha'n't done an honest day's hard work in their lives."

He looked at Lothar. "She with you? I heard there was elves in town." He glanced back at Illiiya. "I thought they were... more like people."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    No. She answered the man in a disjointed voice, Not like humans.

Illiiya looked about the place idly, growing nervous that the man might interpret her words poorly. Humans always seemed to think the worst about her.

But we're not bad. She added quickly, W-we just look different, and live far away.... and we can read. B-but we're trying to help, just like the humans here.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right," said the servant, still clearly none too sure about this new acquaintance. Nevertheless, someone with friends like Lothar was not worth antagonising.

"What's your interest in Lady Samtzunge, anyway?" he said, turning to the soldier. "If you don't mind my asking."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #761

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shrugged. "I was working for some nob coming into town to visit the Lady, an' was wondering what the fuss was. He seemed awful keen, if you take my meaning."
    Games:

=

=

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy waits outside the pawn shop while Ithelus does his dirty business. The youth leans against a wall and stares up at the sky. He gets to thinking about how he has fallen in with a thief and how that thief is robbing people--poor people--and justifying it by getting info to solve a crime. He doesn't like being part of this. And poor Illiiya is going to be the casualty if he ever gets caught...

He nearly spins around and punches the wall as a surge of anger comes over him. But he maintains his composure and forces the feeling away, swallowing as if that'll contain it.

He tries to run through the scant clues they had. He realises he never asked what came of talking to Ilsa... probably nothing. Probably got felt up or something, he figures.

His mind wanders easily from that topic to Maria. Lady Samtzunge, he corrects himself. Nah.... Maria. It's how she introduced himself, he wasn't taking advantage by ignoring the title.

Maybe I'll go see her tonight, he thinks, and then works on a justification for the visit. As much for himself as for her.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Huh. I s'pose that makes sense," conceded the servant, going back to his drink.

OOC: Done with rumour-gathering?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus opens his mouth as if he is going to push the situation, but decides against it. 'Thank you sir, You can count that as this weeks payment, I hope you find it adequate. If I could just take Dort's address I'll be on my way.'

Ithelus walks out of the shop after making a note of Dort's address, heading downstairs and reclaiming all his weapons. He walks outside and turns to Raffy, 'Well that was a waste of time' He studies Raffy's expression, 'Something wrong?'
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner looked down at the money and nodded.

"That'll do alright for now, Mr Ithelus. Looks like you can earn your keep." He grinned again. "We'll be in touch come Bezahltag. Might have a job for you."

"Dort lived in an old place off the Altmarket. Gruber!" He whacked his guard with his stick. "Find it!"

The man scuttled to one side, rummaging in a half-collapsed pile of papers and producing a yellowed scrap of parchment.

"Marschallmeer Street. Can't miss it. Old brick house, goin' to rack and ruin." He held out the words for Ithelus to see before snatching them back.

"Pleasure, as always, Mr Ithelus."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show

"Something wrong?" asked Ithelus.

Raffy falls in step and doesn't respond till they're partway down the street, out of earshot of anyone in the pawn shop. He still keeps his voice low.

"Yeah, something's wrong," he says. "You, you're a thief. I don't care if you're just doing it for the investigation. You've got to make a choice... If you're gonna to be a big brother, or play house or whatever, you gotta get your head straight. Illiiya's broken--like a beat dog. She's putting everything she's got into you. Deserve it or not, you're it, that's what she's done. And if you let her down, she can't take it. That'll be the end of her..."

He shakes his head, visibly angry but struggling to control it. "Maybe you never had a sister, but what do you think'll happen to her if you get arrested? Like they won't bring her in too? Or if she isn't jailed, how'll the townsfolk treat her with you in the stocks? Are you crazy?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus regards Raffy cooly. 'I was a thief, I'm not any more. The money I'm giving him is money I won from gambling, nothing wrong with that. The Captain gave me permission to chase up Dort and that's what I'm doing'

he chews his lip, 'I wouldn't do anything to harm Illiiya, and no I've never had a sister but that doesn't mean you have a right to get all judging on me. If you don't mind it has been a tough day and that grinning skeleton just won't go away'
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar, Ithelus, Illiiya & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Returning from their various tasks, the party met again – this time, Seth found them, having been out on some business of his own. Apparently he had been called away; Marius had given him his pay for the few days he had been working with them, and he would be leaving immediately. Having said his goodbyes, the squire departed, heading for the west side of the river, his horse, and the open road – and leaving the rest to face the terrors of the aristocracy alone.

Delberz Castle was not much to look at – once the military bastion of a small town, the growth of the city had left it almost irrelevant as a defensive position. Crenellations had been roofed over, tiled turrets and glass windows betraying the civilian pedigree of its current inhabitants. Lothar had certainly seen more impressive fortifications on the campaign path, and larger and more opulent palaces too. A halfway-house between manor and keep, it lived up to the purpose of neither one, a victim of its own history.

Nevertheless, it was the highest seat of the nobility in the city, and the soldier could not help but feel a little cowed as he passed through the squat gatehouse: the guards at the gate let them pass without a word, although from their lazy stares they too felt that some unspoken social contract was being violated by the invitation of commoners.

Carriages and riders were arriving all the time, the stable-yard inside a busy bustle of bodies: shepherded inside by liveried servants, the party found themselves in a broad, high-ceilinged hall, its age-darkened masonry adorned with expensive-looking tapestries and the odd battle banner. Lit by burning sconces, it was awash with people, the cumulative noise of their conversations filling the cavernous stone space with a babble of voices.

Everyone who was anyone in Delberz – and some people who probably weren’t – seemed to be here. There were nobles and wealthy burghers, merchants and priests, all milling about in the chattering crowd. Here and there, recognisable faces swam among the colourful sea of people: Maria Samtzunge was here, surrounded by a considerable circle of hangers-on. Their conversation seemed to be particularly light-hearted, witty laughter often rising from their little island in the crowd. Lector von Kemperbad was visible, gliding austerely among the gathering – many of the new arrivals seemed to approach and greet him, but few stayed to talk long. The priests of the other temples were present, seeming to receive significantly less attention than the Lector – his formal wolf-fur mantle clearly weighing on his shoulders in the heat of the hall, the priest of Ulric looked more than a little disgruntled. In one corner, Marius stood on his own, wearing some kind of dress uniform and looking distinctly uncomfortable.

OOC: It will take a while for the Baron to arrive. In the meantime, you have the chance to mingle, if you wish to – feel free to approach anyone, or else simply put your hand up to say you’re keeping to yourself.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    It had been surprisingly easy to gain access to the castle – Baron von Brucker was not the kind of nobleman with an enemy around every corner, and the staff did not seem to see security as a particularly pressing concern. Having inveigled his way into the servant’s quarters, he was watching the preparations for the party progress, the great kitchen a hive of activity as the fumes from the cooking made the air hot and heavy. In one corner, a butler was berating a servant-boy for spilling a tray of wine-glasses, while others scuttled in and out of the wine-cellar, fetching and carrying bottles under each arm.

Peeking out of an unassuming side-door into the great hall, he could see the guests assembling, already a great crowd: he recognised Maria Samtzunge among them, looking a world away from the woman he knew from the Society’s meetings: dressed in expensive clothes, she was surrounded by laughing hangers-on. The rest of the guests were strangers to him: Pieter was no friend of the establishment, and by their clothes and demeanour, these people clearly declared their membership of the status quo.

One small group had just arrived, however, who did not fit that mould. Their clothes were those of commoners, one of them looking rather like an infantryman from one of the Imperial regiments – two of them were elves, a male and a female, and the fourth, unmistakeably, was the man Rafale who had attended the last meeting. They looked rather distinctly out of place, although the soldier seemed to have made an effort with his clothes - he and the female elf subconsciously showed their discomfort on their faces, while Rafale seemed almost enthused by his lavish surroundings.

It looked like Klaus’ guess had been correct...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-19 at 09:53 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #769

Lothar twisted the copper ring on his hand, adjusted his hilt, stroked his beard and sighed. "I wish Seth were still here. The squire would know what to do. I guess we ought to greet the Lector first? He invited us."
    Games:

=

=

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

With Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show

He is silent for a long while as they keep walking. Then simply: "I hope you are on the up-and-up. I hope you are."

With Lothar
    Spoiler
    Show

Raffy remembers to ask Lothar how the conversation with Ilsa went.

When he gets the full story, his jaw tightens up. "She sounded like she's telling the truth? She wasn't crazy?"

He's shaking - his voice, his hands, everything. "Don't talk to me at the party. Slander me if you need to, to get clear of this."

He turns to leave, making an effort to keep his hand off his gun.

Some Preparation
    Spoiler
    Show

Raffy has already cleaned up and changed his hair style. He'll be wearing peasant clothes and that's fine. He won't waste money on better, and these blue-bloods have seen bounty hunters and bourgeois before; they know exactly where they stand.

He has his sword on his hip. He considers his 'buss and sighs. They're not gonna want him bringing it in.

And idea strikes him. He unloads it and cleans it thoroughly. Then he measures powder and shot - enough to fire just one mighty blast - and wraps it in a tight parchment cylinder. This he secrets beside his groin, under his smallclothes.

He polishes the bell of his 'buss to a bright sheen. I brought with me the very gun that ended that mutant's life, he practices. It's not loaded, you can see for yourself. He chuckles. And after the guards have checked it and I've shown it around, I excuse myself and load up...

Yes, he'll carry it brazenly in on one shoulder, perhaps with a scarf or kerchief tied to it to draw attention to it... no one will think a man with an unloaded gun will walk in so publicly and assassinate anyone.

Last he goes and takes one of the horses from Pilserier's cart. Marius has already left to get ready for the show so he just gives some bull story to whatever clerk or guard is on duty watching the things.

He rides the horse over near the estate and ties it at the nearest inconspicuous place. If there is a churchyard, park or in nearby he should be able to leave it tied up without raising suspicion. He puts his powder horn and remaining shot in the saddlebag, and leaves his net hanging on the horse.

On the off chance I live to run out of that party, I'm gonna need a mount, he thinks.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus strolls along with the rest of the group, he has made an effort to pretty himself up, and is thankful for his black clothes, which do not show up dirt very much. He had left his sickle behind but his knives were still on his person.

He walks up next to Raffy and offers the bottle of spirits to the man, 'Here, about earlier, sorry. I know I'm treading a fine line but it is the only way I know how.'

Inside the hall he heads straight over to Marius. 'You look glum sir, here, it'll cheer you up.' He subtly offers the bottle to Marius, a mischievous grin on his face.
    Sigatar by Me

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC note: For the reception, Pieter regretfully went to a barber-surgeon to cut his hair (how much does it cost me?), since long hair is too conspicuous and would certainly not be worn by servants. He also took off his earring and borrowed some plain but clean clothes from one of his friends of the Society.

So easy to get in, thought Pieter, admiring with interest the lavishly decorated room. Anyone could just waltz in and steal enough valuables to feed a hundred people. But now's not the time for this...

He had to be extremely cautious: Maria was here and he did not want to be recognized. All he needed was an excuse to spend enough time around Rafale to speak with him discreetly, all the while looking like a servant. He had an idea, but its lack of originality almost made him roll his eyes. As long as it worked, though...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the very specific question, but are servants handing out cups of wine to guests? Regardless, I'll go to the kitchens or the wine cellar and, in a businesslike way, try to find a tray, some cups and red wine.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-04-19 at 05:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

23. - Top - End - #773

Earlier

Spoiler
    Show
    "Are you mad," Lothar hissed. He grabbed Raffy's elbow and looked him head on. "You'll get yerself killed, man. And the rest of us- killed or worse. They're none too kind on elves around here- imagine what'll happen to Ith and Illiiya!" He glanced around surreptitiously.

"Look, I get that yer pissed, sure. I've got a little sister too, although Elfi'd eat that Lector alive. But you've gotta think clearly. Priest like him, prob'ly didn' kill the girl. It's easy to make a living person disappear, but the bodies of pregnant girls lead to questions. He probably paid her off, sent her off to Marienburg or something. Hell, maybe Ilsa was lyin', though I don't think so."

The soldier scowed. "Thing is, we dunno. Need to look into it more, and if there's some truth to it- well, we can take care of it then. Do somethin' more subtle. But goin' in to a big castle full of nobs and trying to kill a Lector? That's madness. I didn't survive the War just to get killed when me mate goes off half cocked."

He paused a moment and added: "Anyway. Maria'll be there. What if she gets caught in the middle? She may get hurt."

At the shindig:

Ithelus wandered towards Marius immediately, and Lothar could only hope he was clever enough to keep Illiiya subdued. The last thing anyone needed -especially her- was for a strange fit to come on in the middle of a hall full of Sigmarites. The former soldier hissed a final warning to behave at Raffy before squaring his shoulders and making his way to Lector von Kemperbad.

He saluted, then remembered where he was and bowed. "Your...um... Holiness. I just wanted to show my -uh- gratitude, for the kind invitation. And to pay my respects." He twisted the copper ring on his hand, rubbing the marking of the twin-tailed comet.
    Games:

=

=

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Distracted from talking to some finely-attired merchant, a momentary look of displeasure crossed the Lector’s aquiline face before he recognised Lothar – nodding to the soldier, he turned to his rotund companion, a gracious gesture of one long-boned hand introducing Fischer.

“This is one of the men who discovered the mutant cell, Mr Heidegger.”
    “Really?” said the man, turning to Lothar. He extended a pudgy hand and shook the soldier’s. “The stonemasons of the city owe you a great debt, Mr, ah... um, sir.”
    “You must excuse me,” said the Lector, bowing his head to Mr Heidegger and ghosting away to greet a new arrival. Heidegger seemed to un-tense a little, murmuring some generally civil words to Lothar before bustling off to speak to some friend of his own.

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    ”No thank you,” said Marius, a little surprised to see Ithelus approaching him. Seemingly glad for the company nonetheless, he turned to face the elf. “I’m sorry about Mr Adelbert. It seems he was called away by his master.”

He leaned against the pillar, watching the proceedings as if he would rather be somewhere else.
    “Try to keep sight of your friends. My father should be here shortly.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #775

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    The soldier breathed a sigh of relief- that could have gone far worse. He gravitated instead towards the High Priest of Ulric, making sure at the same time that he kept an eye on Marius and Ithelus.

Approaching the fur-clad cleric, Lothar waited until he was free before stepping forward to introduce himself.
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Good to meet you, Mr Fischer," said the priest, shaking his hand - he was one of those men who seemed to equate force of character with a bone-crushing grip. "My name is Geberic. I tend to our pack here."

"I understand you brought down the mutants? A fine thing, that."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #777

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Only with the aid of the Wolf, Geberic. He loaned me strength against the last of the mutants, allowed me to strike him down." Lothar stroked his beard and smiled. "I thought you would like to know that. The victory is owed to the Father of Winter."
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Geberic smiled.

"It's good to meet a fellow follower of the Wolf, Mr Fischer." He glanced over Lothar's shoulder. "Ulric knows there are enough Sigmarites in Delberz of late for a Synod."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya has little to prepare or do before the shindig, but she'll bathe and clean up as best she can, and put on some clean clothes. Unless someone suggests putting anything more into her appearance than that, she won't think to. She'll be jittery about the idea of going, but not say anything about it. Even so, she's pretty easy to read.

Once the group has arrived she'll look even more nervous and out of place than normal with so many humans around. She seemed to shrink under the feeling of being watched and gawked at by so many people. She stuck to Ithelus' side like glue, following him where he went and taking comfort in seeing the familiar face of Marius. She didn't speak, just hanging to Ithelus' arm like she was afraid he'd slip off if she didn't maintain contact with him.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Earlier with Lothar
    Spoiler
    Show

Lothar: "Are you mad? You'll get yerself killed, man. And the rest of us- killed or worse. They're none too kind on elves around here- imagine what'll happen to Ith and Illiiya!"

Raffy (shrugs): "Maybe you all should be 'late.'"

Lothar: "Look, I get that yer pissed, sure. I've got a little sister too, although Elfi'd eat that Lector alive. But you've gotta think clearly. Priest like him, prob'ly didn' kill the girl. It's easy to make a living person disappear, but the bodies of pregnant girls lead to questions. He probably paid her off, sent her off to Marienburg or something. Hell, maybe Ilsa was lyin', though I don't think so."

Raffy (shakes his head): "There's more to it than you know. Seems our Lector has been at this for a while."

The soldier scowled: "Thing is, we dunno. Need to look into it more, and if there's some truth to it- well, we can take care of it then. Do somethin' more subtle. But goin' in to a big castle full of nobs and trying to kill a Lector? That's madness. I didn't survive the War just to get killed when me mate goes off half cocked."

Raffy: "When am I gonna get another chance? You think I can walk up to him any day of the week? Captain's hands are tied, and we're nobodies." (pauses) "Except tonight."

Lothat: "Anyway. Maria'll be there. What if she gets caught in the middle? She may get hurt."

For the first time Lothar's words seem to give Raffy pause. It almost seems like the youth never even considered that she's be in attendance. He's quiet a moment, then says noncomittally: "We'll see. No promises Lothar, but we'll see."

He then carries out his preparations as described above, but having second thoughts about his plan.

Earlier with Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show

He accepts the elf's truce uncertainly on the walk home.

Later, after talking with Lothar, he gets a hold of Ithelus again. There are ribbons on his gun. He whispers: "Hey, the doc said those 'drake roots are poisonous, huh? If I just grind 'em up are they deadly? Or did Pilserier have any other poisons in there?"

((assuming incredulous stare))

"Come on, don't you people know about these kinds of things? I got ta make a stop by Pilsy's cart before the party, I'm looking to see if he has any poisons."

He doesn't want to answer any questions about why.

Upon reaching the party

Raffy chats with the soldiers guarding the gate, telling them of his exploits.

((Making a Common Knldg (Empire) check to see if I can refer to brigands they've heard of in describing my conquests as a bounty hunter; make them more amenable - target is 30.)) (1d100)[57]

He also offers them sips from his flask of flavoured liqueur, probably a rare treat for them.

((Fellowship roll to get in with my gun - target 29, plus maybe a bonus from the flask or from tales of my adventures: (1d100)[16] ))

Once inside, he does not go up to the Lector. He tries to stay in another part of the hall. When someone asks him about killing the mutants, he'll say:

"Indeed, hell of a fight--" (pulls back scarf to show his scars). "Looks like we still have a sorcerer in town though, eh?" (He tells them about the murder, not in detail just in passing, if they don't know.) "Of course, it's not the first time what citizens of Delberz has been done up that way. Couple o' years back, a girl had her throat taken out the same way, down by the river..."

"Say, 'bout how long ago did the Lector first take office here?" He maintains eye contact as they digest the non-too-subtle implication.

He shows off the gun that "did the mutant in."

Once he's scared a few people off with his scars, he looks around with increasing urgency for servants. Don't they serve wine in this goddamn place? He tries not to turn his face toward Maria, and keeps his distance, at least for now.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-04-20 at 10:23 AM.