New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Faulkes Street
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelis fishes into his coin pouch and places the money into the man's hands. 'There you go sir. Access to the site, do we get a key?'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-01-23 at 08:41 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Faulkes Street

Spoiler
    Show
    The landlord gave a grudging nod. "One key." He fished in his pocket, producing the object in question - large and made from pitted iron, it felt heavy in Ithelus' hand. "Don't you go gettin' any ideas, though - the upstairs is locked separate. That key's only fer the front door - the cellar ain't got a lock."

He stepped back from the threshold a little.

"You lot want to go down an' see it again, be my guests. Otherwise, I think we're done 'ere."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-01-23 at 10:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

"That's the plan- but just one thing. Those other chaps, the ones you gave the boot to, this is the same key they had? Or did you bring in a locksmith?" Lothar grinned. "Just thinkin' of your safety as much as ours."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Faulkes Street

Spoiler
    Show
    "'Course it's the same key," said the landlord, testily. "You think I'd leave that ugly bugger with the key to my front door?"

He gestured towards the trapdoor under the stairs.

"There you go," he said, stepping out of their way. "Lock the door after yerselves."

Muttering under his breath, he stumped back upstairs. Shrugging, Ithelus led the way down into the cellar.

The place was as he remembered: bare, dark and dank, with the ominous scorch-mark still lingering on the far wall. Stooping as he stepped off the ladder, Raffy looked around with interest his eyes adjusting only slowly to the gloom.

“Not much down here, is there?”
    “Not at first sight. This is our chance to make sure.”

Lothar nodded, bowing his head under the low beams and making for the scorch-mark as Ithelus began to examine the walls, the ceiling, the floor. Raffy followed suit – Illiiya remained by the ladder, looking around the gloomy cellar as if expecting it to attack.

“There can’t have been much powder here,” said Lothar, knowledgeably. “The wall’s a bit cracked, but the beams are alright. Even allowing that the blast got channelled back toward them,” – he gestured in the general direction of the trapdoor – “maybe a small keg. At the most.”

“What’s this?” asked Ithelus, stooping to examine something on the floor: picking it up between forefinger and thumb, he held it up to his eyes, Raffy crouching down next to him to see himself. It was a strand of rope fibre, black and charred-looking – sniffing it, Ithelus made a face.
    “Pitch,” said Raffy, taking it and smelling it himself. “And something else. Lothar?”
    The soldier took the outstretched fragment, holding it up to his nose. “Saltpeter. A lot of it.”
    “What do you reckon it is?”
    “I’d say it was slow match, if there were less stuff in it – but you don’t usually find pitch in slow match. Whatever this came from would burn up pretty damn fast.”
    “There’s another piece here,” said Raffy, reaching down to the floor. Picking up a second charred fibre, he ran his fingers over the packed earth where it had been lying. “A little ash, too.”

Illiiya Only

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya looked around the cellar in blank incomprehension. This was the place Ithelus wanted to stay? It looked like... a cellar. More suited to storing boxes and barrels than living beings.

It was damnably dark, and damnably empty – in the absence of mundane details to focus on, the Sight crept in on her field of view, no matter how much she tried to ignore it. She could see the traces of the Red Wind that clung to the sooty stain on the far wall, dying slowly with the memory of the explosion. They stirred hungrily around the strand of rope between Ithelus’ fingers, questing like the noses of hungry worms through the still, dusty air.

She knew this was nothing more than usual. Natural background, drawn to a fading shadow of fire. It was only that down here, in the dark, there was nothing else to see...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-01-24 at 05:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Celler

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus continues his search but finds nothing else. 'So why would they want something fast burning? And a small keg, perhaps they were experimenting with a trigger mechanism on a smaller scale model... But if they had already blown up the temple why would they need to create a new one....'

He looks around the room, sizing it up. 'So, are we agreed that we will use this place as a meeting room? And perhaps lodgings? If not I would suggest we rent somewhere because it does not seem like this hunt will end soon.'
    Sigatar by Me

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

The boy shrugs. "I could sleep down here," he says noncommitally. Not glorious surroundings but then he's hardly used to glorious. "I'll be at the Hammer at least one more night. I intend to talk to those 'publicans, act like I'm interested and all. Might be best if I go alone, but if one of you wants to come I'd..."

He trails off as he considers. "Actually, maybe a couple of you could wander into the common room while I'm sitting there having a drink. Come in talking about how great his high and mightiness* is. I could act offended and take a swing at you, say some rebel stuff. Might get me in good with the other rebs."

He nods in self-satisfaction at the plan and then abruptly looks around to see if anyone else things it's worth pursuing.

*Sorry, I can't remember which of my games has an Emperor, which a King and which a Duke. Fill in the blank with whoever runs this country :)
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

7. - Top - End - #277
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

At the Hammer and Tongs, Seth arrives first, and decides to help himself to a pint, as he goes over his injuries. Convinced he's not reopened any cuts or compounded any bruises, he brushes himself off, and turns to look for Klaus. If he spots him, he casually pulls up a seat nearby and listens in-not hiding, but simply appearing like an interested onlooker-and participates, if invited. Being by nature untrusting of established authority himself, he's likely to even have similar opinions to many people there-but he will definitely curtail his thoughts to avoid offense, in anticipation of tonigh'ts interview.

Charm (no specific outcome sought, just in general):
    FS 39 +10 etiquette = 49% (1d100)[95]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Seth at The Hammer & Tongs

Spoiler
    Show
    The Tongs was quietly busy, a far cry from the noisy bustle of the Neumarket – looking around, Seth saw no-one he recognised from his previous visit. He turned back to his drink.

After a few minutes, the door rattled – looking round, Seth saw two of the young men he had seen arguing yesterday enter. One was dark-haired and short, with a small, neat beard that looked like it was struggling to graduate from stubble – the other was slightly taller, with a mass of unruly, side-combed hair. Neither of them could be much older than him.

They took up the same table they had been at the day before – hopefully, if one of these fellows wasn’t Klaus, he would be along soon. Seeing them fall into conversation, Seth moved a little closer, hoping to pick up something that would give him a way in.

“...You didn’t say Lady Samtzunge was coming.”
    “I didn’t say Alphonse was coming, either. I don’t hear you complaining about that.”
    “Alphonse is always here.” The taller man grinned mischievously. “I suppose I should have guessed. You’re looking smarter than usual.”
    The dark-haired man glared at his companion.
    “Maria’s here about the money we need, Karl. I’d appreciate it if you didn’t make light of her contribution – unless you’d rather the Society was only a talking shop.”
    “Relax, Klaus. I’ll be as good as gold, I promise.”

Klaus. This was their man, presumably.

“I assume we’re not having the meeting out here?” smiled Karl.
    “No. I’ve paid for our usual room.”
    “Very accommodating, the landlord here. How many are coming?”
    “Twelve, including ourselves.”
    “Quite the crowd.”

The two fell to talking about their friends. Klaus glanced his way, and Seth turned aside – there was no sense in being seen to eavesdrop too conspicuously, and no way to introduce himself into their conversation without seeming unnaturally eager to make their acquaintance. Hopefully the others would have arrived by the time Klaus’ other friends got here...

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could have had Seth attempt conversation, but with that roll, it wouldn’t have gone too well – I interpreted it as them not giving him a way in instead. Hope that’s OK – if not, please say.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Faulkes street
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus looks at Raffy, 'I wouldn't mind joining you, that is if Illiiya doesn't mind sleeping here, otherwise I'll find somewhere else. As for your plan this evening, I'm willing to be a piece of bait, after all you have helped me a lot today'.

On the road
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus leaves Faulkes street with the rest, the key safe in his pocket. As he walks he questions Illiiya about her day in a small talk fashion, obvious that he missed her. Halfway to the Tongs he excuses himself and disappears to find a man named Albrecht Lochimkopf. He states that he will meet them outside the Tongs in the evening, and he does, his pockets slightly fuller and his purse slightly lighter.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Making the Card and dice purchases, will deduct the money from my purse.
    Sigatar by Me

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Faulkes Street Cellar
    Spoiler
    Show

Raffy nods. Looking at Lothar he asks, "Will you be the other 'bait'? We'll need two of you talking loudly together to start an incident."

If yes:

"Right. I'l go to the Tongs later and get a table on my own. I'll be there looking quiet when the two of you come in. Just shoot your mouth off about how great the Emperor is and I'll go over and make a scene."

Alone with Illiya
    Spoiler
    Show

After Ithelus leaves Raffy talks to Illiya in a confidential tone.

"I thought Ith was your brother at first," he starts off. "Is it true he found you?"
    He nods at her answer.

"Look, I'm sorry to hear what happened. I guess you don't remember much but it sounds rough. Vicious rough."

He tries to choose the right words. "Look, Illiya, I know Ith helped you out. You rely on him and all. But sometimes it's not safe to rely on someone... he, uh, he can be a dangerous man to be around. He's a criminal by trade. I'm not judging!" He puts his hands up in a defensive gesture. "Not judging. It's just, if he gets arrested, you can be sure they'll take you as well. An elf girl in prison..." He makes a face and leaves the thought unfinished.

Expecting her to protest he adds, "I'm not saying kick him to the curb. Just... don't lean on him too much. For your own good."

At the Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show

Raffy will either leave Illiya in some suitable place or let her come in and sit at the table with him - if she promises not to say anything! Promises. Not so say anything.

When he enters the Tongs it's still a bit early for supper. Presumably he sees Seth there and he gives him a wink but then pretends not to know him. Hopefully the man gets the clue.

Raffy will take his supper and a beer and get something for Illiya too if she is there. Then he sits, sullen-looking and quiet at a corner table to await the republicans and the planned interruption.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Alone with Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya gave Raffy a questioning look, tilting her head to the side as she watched him and listened to his words. For a few moments, her vacant look might make him wonder if she was even catching what he was saying, until finally she spoke.

He takes care of me... and he's never been cruel. She said in a soft voice, I... don't like to be alone. I can see things when I'm alone. They're here now too. No one else can see them, but they're here. They talk to me sometimes. Usually I can't understand what they say... it's worse when I can.

Her vacant gaze drifted back from whatever she found so interesting off behind Raffy in the corner, and she looked at him intently.

Humans are cruel to us all the time. Ithelus steals things... but only because he's hungry, or cold. He's given me his food when we have very little to eat... or his blankets when it's cold. I don't care how much he steals... he's not a bad man. She told Raffy, before her voice suddenly grew almost ominously quiet, And he's all I have.

At the Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the choice is stay alone in her room, or go downstairs with Raffy... she'll do the latter. Crowds make her nervous, but being alone terrifies her.

Illiiya will come downstairs with Raffy and eat her food, quiet as a mouse. Short of glancing around from time to time and looking a bit uncomfortable she won't create a scene unless something comes along to spook her... which seems pretty unlikely in an even slightly busy place.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-01-28 at 01:20 AM.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar nods and grins. "Sounds like a plan- just make sure yer not too harsh on his Imperial Majesty. If it sounds like y'mean it, I won't pull my punches."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Tongs

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus looks at Lothar outside the building. 'I'll start you off on it, and then you just carry it on,'

Ithelus adjusts his hat and strides purposefully into the Inn, holding the door for Lothar and then proclaim loudly to the man '...That's very interesting my friend. Indeed this Empire you have going seems to be run on efficiency and saving, tell me more about your gallant Emperor! And no doubt his sleek methods'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-01-28 at 12:31 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar suppressed the urge to raise an eyebrow at Ithelus’ exclamation, pitching his voice as loud as was decent.

“He’s a blessing from Sigmar, and no mistake. It’s a splendid thing for a nation to be the Empire of such an Emperor! To march and to triumph, to take his soldiers and to make kings of them, that’s Karl’s game, and there hasn't been one like him since Magnus himself.”
    He grinned.
    “He’s thrown the Enemy back, and the Bretons and Kislevites had better pay heed what his Empire can do, ‘less we have to settle their hash too. To spit in Chaos’ eye, to break the back of the North, what grander thing is there than that?”

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy pushes his chair back loudly as he stands up. He shoots a disapproving eye at the two "strangers" who just came in.

"A good emperor is like a good wolf," he announces. "It may look impressive in a fight, but no one wants it on their land. The soldier and the citizen are the ones who built those victories you name, through their own hard work. The emperor just takes credit. And by what right?"

He shakes his head angrily.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-02-01 at 12:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus turns his head to Raffy. Then shurgs and looks back to Lothar, 'Do continue,' he waves a dismissive hand at Raffy, 'Although I'm at a loss as to why you let such riff-raff in here,' He shoots Raffy a disproving look and turns to Lothar. 'From what I have heard is that he is taking a hard line with dissidents and communists, the best way really I would say.'
    Sigatar by Me

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Raffy walks about halfway across the room toward them, his 'bus showing on his hip. He crosses his arms. "Those dissidents are the people who build his empire," he says. "The least they can get is some say in how it's run."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

ithelus looks over at Raffy again with a 'are you really still talking? seriously?' expression on his face. 'I see you feel you could run an empire better than a man who just repulsed a huge invasion by the Ruinous Powers, and united three different races under one cause?' He sneers, 'bloody communists,'

With a mean chuckle he addresses Lothar 'You better watch that one, He has the look of a revolutionary about him, toting that barbaric weapon around like it carries authority,'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-02-01 at 04:20 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

From his seat off to the side, Seth could see the two men who had entered earlier were watching Raffy’s theatrics with some interest.

“Verena’s breath,” grinned the one called Karl. “The Baron’s dressed himself up as an elf.”

There was a low murmur of laughter from the other patrons of the tavern – Klaus was not among those amused at his friend’s jest, glaring daggers at Ithelus.

“I don’t recall anyone 'uniting', elf,” he called out. “As I remember, your people waited until the riff-raff had won the battle for them before deigning to show their faces.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-01 at 08:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy laughs out loud at the Baron joke and then nods vigorously at the historical correction.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya looked at the scene with earnest concern, seeming nervous with how much attention Raffy's scene was causing. She was sorely tempted to seek out Itheulus, but he was FAR too much the center of attention. Instead she kept quiet, afraid to draw notice to herself.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus rises, the joke has rilled him. He opens his mouth to retort before thinking better of it. He walks over to Raffy and looks him in the eye. 'I see you have friends here... friends and powder. Dangerous combination, very much so.'

'Let me tell you,' he says, throwing his arms open, 'If you want to mouth off then save yourself the talk and take a swing. Or you can scurry back to your malcontent friends over there and stop making a fool out of yourself.' He is really hoping Raffy pulls his punches slightly.
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

The Sparrowhawk snorts in contempt. "You think I'm stupid? I take a swing at you, next thing I'm on trial for a rebellion. I don't like the 'law' but I know it well enough." He leans in menacingly and adds a little too loudly: "But I have other ways of making my point... in less public places... to you emperor-worshipping pigs, if need be. I suggest you leave now, good sir."

He narrows his eyes in a threatening look that the men at the table probably can't see, but he makes sure they overheard his "lowered" voice. Maybe they'll think he's useful.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

“We’ll have none of that in here, gents,” came a voice from behind Raffy. Looking round, he saw the barman approaching. Behind his walrus-like moustache, the man had a surprisingly unperturbed expression, as if such confrontations were no more worrying than a spilt drink. Ithelus couldn’t help but notice the size of the muscles in the innkeeper’s arms. “If you can’t keep it civil, neither of you’s staying, ‘specially with that thing knocking about.” He pointed at Raffy’s blunderbuss.

The two men at the large table seemed to be conferring between themselves – they kept their voices hushed, Seth’s best efforts to eavesdrop failing him.

“Let the lad stay, Dieter,” called the man who had joked about the Baron. “I’ll buy him a drink.”
    The innkeeper raised one bushy eyebrow, looking from Raffy to Ithelus and back. Lothar hung on the sidelines, unsure as yet how closely to associate himself with the elf.
    “What’s it going to be, lads? Either one of you leaves, or both. Don’t make me call for the Guard, now.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-02 at 05:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus's mouth twists into a grimace. 'Very well,' He shoots a look at Karl and then leaves, muttering about revolutionaries and executions.
    Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Raffy watches Ithelus leave, then turns and gives a slight bow to the innkeeper. "I'll behave, I promise."

Giving a glare at Lothar, he goes over to the table with the revolutionaries. Another slight bow and he introduced himself. "Rafale is the name," he says. "Thanks for that. I wouldn't want to be out on a night like this."

If they ask him to sit he will, and he inquires politely: "So, I take it you're not a fan of his imperious majesty either?"

He'll continue to strike up conversation and hopefully get a better sense of their ideology and goals.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

“I have no quarrel with Karl Franz,” said the one who had joked. “He rules as well as you could ask. But one man doesn’t redeem a rotten system.”
    The other – a smaller, dark-haired man with a thin, neatly-trimmed beard – nodded emphatically. His taller friend seemed to defer to him as he began to speak.
    “No man should derive power from his birth. The aristocracy may occasionally choose good men from among their own, but if they do it’s not for the benefit of the common man. Sigmar knows there have been enough corrupt and incompetent Emperors before him, and there will be more when he’s gone.”
    He sipped his drink.
    “And even under a benevolent Emperor, we have to trust the nobles and generals beneath him. The imprimatur of absolute power corrupts just as potently as the forces of Chaos. Sergeant Halbermann and his dogs are a case study in tyranny by proxy.”
    He set the stein down.
    “But I’ve never heard of an elf fighting the corner of the State.”
    “I’ve never seen an elf at all,” said the first man, light-heartedly. “I heard there were a pair in town, though. They say they were on the cart that got attacked by those Beastmen. The heads are staked up outside the Guard House.”

Suddenly, Raffy realised that both men at the table were looking at him with a strangely steady gaze.

“I heard that too,” said the bearded man, not taking his eyes off Raffy’s. “Guarding the stone for von Kemperbad. Tell us... who’s that you were sitting with?”

His eyes flicked over Raffy’s shoulder – looking round, Raffy saw Illiiya sitting there, blinking back at them as she realised their gaze had turned on her...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-03 at 08:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

"That's my sister, by adoption," Raffy says. "I found her in the ruins of a burned village. She had hidden through a raid and managed to stay alive. But it took part of her mind. She's traveled with me since."

He motions to Illiya. "Illie, why don't you go on up to bed?"

He looks back to the others. "I guess there must be at least three elves in town then. Why would one take the Emperor's side, anyway?" He hopes to change the topic back again.

Spoiler
    Show
    @ bloody angel: Raffy's being a little pushy, but as a player, I don't expect you to follow my orders. Feel free to not do as Raffy says.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

The dark-haired man hesitated, looking from Illiiya back to Raffy. He turned to the other on his left, who shrugged.

“Let her stay,” said the second man, rising to his feet. “I’ve never spoken to an elf before, ‘least not except that boot-licker just now. I offered you a drink, didn’t I? I’ll get her one too.” He paused. “The name’s Karl, by the way.”
    “Klaus,” said the bearded man, contributing his own. His friend headed over to the bar, while Klaus’ eyes flicked to the closed door.
    “If he’s the one from the north road, he might have been working for von Kemperbad,” he said, darkly. “You ought to be careful what you say to people like that, Rafale. You don’t know who they’ll report it to.” He gave a wry smile. “We have more immediate problems than the monarchy in Delberz right now.”

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

"Rafale"

The lad motions for Illiya to come join them, hoping she won't blow their cover. He mentally reminds himself that, despite her weird outbursts, she has so far been very smart and reliable when they needed her. He pulls his head back to the conversation at hand.

With a smile: "Normally, I'm better at controlling my mouth. Something about that guy got to me, but I'll watch it." He raises an eyebrow at the mention of "more immediate problems than the monarchy." "Oh? Like what?"