New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

“Like the Lector,” said Klaus. “Like the Hounds. Like six hundred people starving in tents while the Baroness’ thousands go to raising up a gilded cathedral.”
    He shifted in his seat.
    “The last time Chaos invaded, Magnus the Pious reformed the Empire, and cast out centuries of feudal corruption. Why isn’t that happening now? Because of men like von Kemperbad, playing on our fears – the better to take our liberties from us.”
    He took a sip from his drink.
    “A priesthood can be a tyranny as much as a monarch. Von Kemperbad wants to make his name in Delberz, and he doesn’t care how many innocents he has to burn or how many rights he has to trample to do it.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-04 at 05:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar hesitated, eyes flickering between his 'companion' and the 'leveller traitor scum', before deciding to head for the door. Better to keep things looking realistic- and Raffy knew what he was doing. Right? I'll'i'y'a'ea would be fine, and there were those friendly dicers down at the Crow...
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-02-06 at 04:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus waits for Lothar, smiling slightly. He then walks with him to the Crow, hoping that Illiiya is safe.
    Sigatar by Me

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya looked obviously nervous when Raffy beckoned her over, but she approached regardless... her head bowed as she avoided eye contact with the group of men... Even Raffy.

The place seemed strangely quiet to her. The men she was joining stood out like a ripple across the surface of a calm lake. The voices elsewhere in the place seemed to fade and mesh together into a faint cacophony of muddled speech and noise that felt to her to be darkly sinister. Shadows played at the edges of her vision, and she struggled not to look, for fear of what she might see there. Anxiety gripping her tightly, she sat down beside Raffy and stared at the table.

When the drink was set down in front of her, she barely took note of it, instead looking timidly up at the one who brought it.

A-Aemera d'nore. She mumbled in elven, not touching the drink. Thank you...
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Mr Rafale says you're his adopted sister," said Karl, sitting down again. Klaus shot him an irritated look, but suppressed it quickly. "Have you been travelling with him long?"

[hr]

The Crow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar and Ithelus made their way back to the Crow without much trouble – as the last dregs of the day began to darken, a misty, cold rain began to drift down, for the first time threatening to obscure the great spire of the Cathedral from view. They were grateful for the shelter of the inn, the crook-backed Crow’s door welcoming them in to a common hall just as packed as it had been yesterday.

Lothar quickly identified his friends from the night before – grudgingly accepting Ithelus’ presence, they fell quickly to gambling, little bone dice rattling across the table. The weasel-faced innkeeper kept an eye on their table, but if he objected to it, he did not voice his opinion. Lothar’s luck from the night before was not to continue, as one of their new companions – an older man, with salt-and-pepper stubble and tobacco-stained teeth – carried the game, sweeping his takings towards him with a satisfied cackle.

“Again, gents?” he asked the table, with a yellow-toothed grin.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-06 at 07:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar shrugged, grinning, and tossed a few more silvers on the sticky table. "Sure, why not. I took your money, you take mine- maybe this time I'll take yours again." He stretched, leaning back in his chair.

"Whose turn is it to buy drinks again, lads?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

At the Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show
    No. Illiiya answered in a timid voice, still staring at her hands as they sat folded on the table. Not long.

She looked at Raffy for a moment before she continued again, her gaze drifting back down to the table.

I was in a fire. A bad fire. She said, he voice growing shaky at the mere memory of it, still haunted by it, Bodies... and smoke... and burning... and so many things there. All around... Watching me. I can still hear them, at night. P-please don't make me remember.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiled, gambling was a much better way of making money than stealing, if he won that is. His fingers hovered over the belt pouch and then fished out another 5 schillings, tossing them into the middle of the table.
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs

Spoiler
    Show
    “Sorry,” said Karl, grimacing contritely. “It’s just unusual to see elves ‘round here.”
    “At least she doesn’t seem to be like the fellow who just left,” said Klaus with a wry smile. “Excuse our curiosity. My name’s Klaus, and this is Karl.”
    He looked from Illiiya to Raffy, seeming to relax a little for the first time since ‘Rafale’ had appeared. It was Karl, however, who spoke:
    “Some friends of ours should be arriving soon. I’m sure they’d be very interested to meet you both, if you cared to stick around.”

[hr]

The Crow

Spoiler
    Show
    ”You can buy us a round if’n you like, soldier boy,” leered the winner, leaning back in his chair. “After all, you won big last night, din’t you?”
    “’Yeah,” said another man despondently, looking up from counting his sadly-depleted coins. “We ain’t the Baroness, mister.”
    “Her daddy, he’s a sharp one,” said a third man. “Got the Baron all tied up in lawyers, so I heard. My mate Gulli’s a stable-boy up at the Castle, says His Nibs is in a right bind.”
    “That’s what you get for forgettin’ you’ve gotten old,” said the winner, leaning forwards. “Now, are we talking or are we playing dice?”

The stakes remained the same, the bone cubes rattling on the scarred table – this time, the pot went to one of the less obviously skilled of their company as Lady Luck decided to take sides. With a little good-natured grumbling, the coins were redistributed.

“Higher stakes, I think,” said the winner from the last round. “How’s eight schillings sound?”
    “I’m out,” said the man who had just won. The rest stayed in, pushing their money into the centre of the table.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-07 at 12:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Rafale

Raffy reaches one hand up as if to put it on Illiya's shoulder, but he pauses because he thinks that might freak her out more. He makes sure she sees him before he continues and sets his hand on her. "It's alright," he tells her.

To the others he replies, "Well, it's always good to make new friends. I'm not much accustomed to meeting like-minded individuals." He takes a sip of his beer with a grateful nod. "I'll admit I didn't know the situation with the Lector was so grim. Do you have any way of opposing it?"

He makes sure to leave "opposing" open-ended: he could mean peaceful political protest, or almost anything else.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes," said Klaus, with a certain amount of bridled passion in his voice. "Since no-one else will."
    "That's why our friends are coming," added Karl. "The innkeeper here rents us a back room for our meetings. Someone needs to look out for the common people."
    "And keep track of the Hounds," said Klaus, firmly. "Just like they keep track of us." He took a swig from his drink. "Which is why you'd be well-advised to hold off making threats of violence, friend, even against obnoxious elves."

Karl gave Klaus a significant look - the smaller man nodded, and Karl turned back to Raffy and Illiiya.
    "If you want to help, you could sit in on the meeting this evening. Everyone is welcome in the Society, commoner or king."
    "We have nothing to hide," added Klaus, firmly.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-07 at 05:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods and throws in 8. He smiles, enjoying the sensation of the gamble.
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy agrees to come to the meeting.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

At the Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya calms down a bit, seeming to respond to Raffy's gentle approach. She retreats back into silence for a while, listening to the two of them talk and trying not to look nervous. She only halfway succeeded.

When finally she did speak, it was a quiet plea to Raffy.

Please be careful. I don't want to get in trouble. She told him, though an observant man could hear her easily enough, I don't want to get in trouble. The hounds are.... bad men. I don't like how they looked at me.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs

Spoiler
    Show

Karl raised his eyebrows.
    “You’ve met the Hounds, then.”
    Klaus’ expression darkened.
    “Delberz’s shame. If the Baron had any guts, he'd put a stop to them."

They spoke for a while on the Hounds and Halbermann - Klaus had an impressive memory for the names of the various low-born innocents who had been beaten and imprisoned by the militia, and their supposed crimes. After a short while, a gaggle of young men entered the inn, hailing Karl and Klaus – a bewildering round of introductions followed, Illiiya seeming to shrink in on herself as their table became much more crowded. More arrived in drips and drabs, until at least a dozen of them had gathered – all young, all male, all dressed in the same way. They weren’t nobles - unless they were slumming it rather convincingly – but they were certainly not poor, and well-educated. As their numbers grew, their conversation turned increasingly to the kind of high-minded ideas Raffy had heard them discussing the other night, leaving him fairly at sea. He latched onto one thread, trying to follow what was being said.

“That’s what this whole mess is about,” said one confident-sounding man. “Divine right. The Emperor rules with the mandate of Sigmar, and treason against the Empire is blasphemy against their Church. A viper with two heads – grapple with only one, and the other will have its fangs in you pretty quick!”
    “You should talk to Mr Rafale, Bernhardt,” said Karl, grinning. “He was in an... altercation with a fellow earlier about our glorious Emperor.”
    “Is that so?” said Bernhardt. Raffy opened his mouth to reply, but the man pressed on – he got the impression that Bernhardt was rather enamoured with the sound of his own voice.
    “It is a pity we don’t have another Emperor Boris, sir, that the people would see the iniquity of the system. I won't have any kings; if it were only from an economical point of view, I don't want any; a king is a parasite. Listen to this: the dearness of kings. At the abdication of Dieter IV, our national debt amounted to an income of thirty thousand marks; at the death of Wilhelm Holswig-Schliestein, the first of the Altdorf Princes, it was two milliards, six hundred millions, which would to-day be equivalent to twelve milliards. Twelve milliards, sir.”
    Raffy had never exactly been super-numerate. He blinked, and nodded.
    “I have done the calculations,” said Bernhardt, flourishing one finger. “One cannot argue with the facts. Hard facts, sir, the first recourse of the reasonable man, and the greatest fear of the charlatan and deceiver!”

There was a rattle of carriage wheels outside, causing the conversations at their table to break off briefly – a few heads turned to the door as the coach drew to a halt. There was a muffled exchange of words outside, followed by approaching footsteps.

Sure enough, the door creaked open – heads other than those of Klaus’ friends turned as an exceptionally beautiful woman stepped over the threshold, closing the door behind her. In contrast to Klaus’ society, her clothes were clearly the clothes of a noblewoman, albeit perhaps not the ludicrous whalebone-reinforced extravagances of the Altdorf court – she wore a fur shawl against the cold, her long black hair running loose over its surface. Green eyes fixed on the party at Klaus’ table, a warm smile splitting her face as she approached.

“So sorry I’m late,” she said to Klaus. “I’m afraid some tedious business delayed me.”
    She paused as she caught sight of Raffy and Illiiya, looking at the elf with particular interest.
    “I don’t believe I’ve met these friends of yours before, Klaus,” she said.
    “We’ve only just met them ourselves,” said Klaus, a little reluctantly.
    “Mr Rafale, and his adopted sister Illiiya,” said Karl. “Rafale was wondering if he could join our meeting.”
    “You talk as if it was for me to decide,” laughed the lady, taking a seat. “Charmed to meet you, Rafale, Illiiya. My name’s Maria.” She looked at Illiiya again. “I had heard there were elves in town.”
    “Different elves,” said Klaus.
    “Really?”
    “You should have seen the other one,” grinned Karl. “He and Rafale here got on like a house on fire.”
    “Another? I wish I’d been here.” She seemed genuinely fascinated by Illiiya, her eyes continuing to dart back to the elf.
    “We have the old room,” said Klaus, seemingly eager to move the conversation on. “Shall I get the key off Dieter?”
    “Of course,” said Maria, turning her attention back to the group at large. “I’m so sorry for holding you up.”
    The young man mumbled something along the lines of “not at all,” and excused himself from the table. Chatting enthusiastically among themselves, the assembled company began to rise from their seats...

Illiiya Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just before Maria enters – round about the time the noise of the coach wheels stops – there is a slight twitch in the Aethyr. It doesn’t seem to be associated to any particular wind, and makes you feel a little uneasy – but it’s very slight.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

At the Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya sat timidly, her hands folded in her lap and her eyes darting about the many, many people here. Hopefully Raffy was taking in what he needed to here, because she spend more effort trying to keep herself calm than she did remembering names. The only upside was that the many voices and bodies here drowned out the quiet things at the back of her mind. So focused was she on the crowd of humans that she'd little else on her mind.

Until she arrived... And she felt a shudder across the Aethyr. Illiiya looked up, her focus drawn to the new arrival. The woman reminded her of someone, though she knew not who. Well dressed and graceful, with dark hair and sharp green eyes, not unlike Illiiya herself. But Illiiya had never born the garb of a noble... had she?

The newcomer Maria seemed intently interested in her for some reason, and it made her uncomfortable. For a moment, she caught the woman's gaze... and something about it dug into her. She looked away quickly, and shivered for no discernible reason. Like a mouse who had spied a cat nearby, she froze... keeping a fearful eye on the woman as if she were afraid of what she might do the second she was out of sight.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs - Back Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Klaus returned with a small iron key – leading their way towards the back of the common hall, he opened a small, unremarkable door, holding it open for the others as they filed through, and closing it behind them.

Inside, the low-ceilinged private room was dominated by a long, rectangular table that, on inspection, turned out to be several of the smaller tables from the inn wedged together. A small fireplace stood in the centre of one wall, one of the assembled company swiftly setting about lighting it – as a half-hearted fire began to crackle behind the grate, the various people took their seats, still chatting away.

Klaus coughed loudly. When the various discussions around the table failed to quieten at all, he stood up, rapping the solid oak with his knuckles.
    “Ladies and gentlemen, I call the seventy-eighth meeting of the Society of Free Men to order.”
    Slowly, the talking stopped. Across the table, Raffy could see Maria smiling to herself.
    “Thank you. We have two guests with us today – Rafale and Illiiya. I believe Mr Rafale may share some of our aims. To begin the meeting, Pieter – what news on the collection for the Fields?”
    Another member of the assembly rose to his feet, Klaus sitting down.
    “The news isn’t good, I’m afraid,” said the young man who was now the centre of attention. “Everywhere we go, the story’s the same – the people don’t have the money to spare. Either they’re struggling to feed their own children, or Halbermann’s creaming the top off what they earn.”
    “What about the Manor district? Halbermann would never dare try and squeeze the nobility.”
    “They don’t care, for the most part. Fluchtling still does his bit, and there are a few of them who follow suit, but the Baron doesn’t have time for the refugees when he’s got his father-in-law and the Lector to deal with.”
    “Even if he didn’t, he wouldn’t help us,” Maria interjected. “Von Brucker hasn’t got an ounce of compassion in him. You only look at how he treats poor Marius.”

Pieter nodded in acknowledgement. “Lady Samtzunge" - he indicated Maria - "continues to contribute. Yesterday we had enough to take three carts of bread and oatmeal out to the Fields, but at this rate it’ll take us at least a week to get that together again. And in the meantime, the weather’s closing in. The people on the Fields need clothes and real shelter, before the winter really starts to bite.”
    “Perhaps if we write to the Baron...” began one of the others. Karl snorted. “He won’t lift a finger.”
    “What if I wrote every day? You said he’s too hassled too help. Maybe if we made ourselves a nuisance, he’d do something to shut us up.”
    “You’re free to try,” said Karl.
    “In the meantime, we must all continue to give what we can,” said Klaus, gravely. “It is easy to forget, living as comfortably as we do, how precarious the situation on the Fields is. I’m sure Pieter will be coming round with his box at the end of the meeting,” he said, nodding for the man in question to sit down.

“On to better news - I am happy to announce that Magda Gebenluft has secured the services of the brothers Bechtermünze’s printing press.” The young man beamed. “With a very reasonable investment from our Society, she can have printed a thousand copies of her pamphlet within the week.”
    An excited murmur ran around the table. “How much?” called out a voice.
    “The brothers will let us use their press for free. We just need to supply the ink and paper. I estimate it will cost us no more than fifty marks, at the most.” Klaus looked around at the assembled people. “I assume everyone has read the pamphlet?”
    “I have,” said Maria, leaning forwards into the discussion. “Are you sure about this, Klaus? It could bring the Hounds down on us.”
    “It breaks no law!”
    “It practically accuses Lector von Kemperbad of embezzlement and impiety, Klaus. I know for a fact the Lector has no love for me, and that would extend to the rest of you if he knew who you were. Halbermann and his men are unlikely to worry about the niceties of the law once they hear what it has to say.”
    Another young man butted in.
    “Halbermann’s a sycophant and a bully. We have the advantage – he’ll never treat us or the brothers Bechtermünze like he treats the peasants.”
    “And Magda?” asked Maria, softly.
    “She’s publishing under a false name,” said Klaus, triumphantly. “Martin Marprälat.”
    “I’ve read it,” said another man. “I’m with Lady Samtzunge. If we antagonise the Lector directly, we’re putting the Society in danger. We know what he’s capable of. If he thinks we’re endangering his hold on the populace...”
    A dark murmur ran around the table. Klaus frowned.
    “Is this it, then? Are we going to back out of doing anything at all?” He glared around the table, his voice ringing with a steely certainty. “It’s time for us to decide. Are we willing to stand behind our ideas, to pay the price to see them through – or is this just a game, for rich youths to play pretend? We can leave von Kemperbad his ‘hold’, leave the people to suffer and starve – or we can seize the chance to strike a blow for liberty.” He breathed in sharply, composing himself. “This is the time for real change. The people grow suspicious of Halbermann’s men, when they have been searching so long without success. We will not see this chance again.
    A silence fell. Looking around the table, Maria nodded. Klaus nodded back.
    "We put this to the vote, then. All in favour?"

Most of the people present raised their hands into the air...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-09 at 08:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Rafale

Tongs - before entering the meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    As they are entering the meetingroom Raffy pulls Iliya aside. "Are you alright with going into this big a crowd?" he asks. "If you want, I'll walk you upstairs first." He leaves it up to her.

Tongs - early in the meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    As they are talking of a collection for the Fields and how no one can contribute, but before they have yet mentioned that they'll pass around a collection box at the end of the meeting, Rafale stands up. In this best proud, educated, public orator voice he says, "Well I for won't stand for such avarice and cold-heartedness. Take my entire purse for the cause!" He upends his purse and fifteen gold crowns spill out. He gives it all to the man who is overseeing the collection. He doesn't mention that he still has 4 gc sewn into the waist of his breeches or that he's nearly destitute now. Hopefully it seems as if this is a generous, but not painful contribution from a fellow bourgeois.

Tongs - at the vote
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rafale presumes he is not a full member of the Society, having only just sat in on his first meeting, so he does not vote either way. Should they look in his direction and ask for a vote, he will vote in favour of publishing the pamphlet.

When he gets a chance, he will raise a question.

"Pardon my ignorance if you will, good men, my Lady; but being only a recent arrival to Delberz I am compelled to ask. Just the other day I happened to see a man in a public crossroads quite openly condemning von Brucker and von Kemperbad. The man seemed to revel in the claim that he'd pulled down bailiff's notices, which he threw in tatters on the street. This Society seems to know the importance of discretion, which is a blessing; but he seemed to meet no great punishment. Tell me friends, do you pursue such an active approach? Does it help the people?"

After the meeting he will ask Klaus if they can speak in private.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Before the meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't want to be alone. Illiiya will answer disjointedly, her attention still fixed pretty squarely on the lady Maria. I will be all right.

During the meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya paid only half attention during the meeting, catching only that these people seemed to be trying to stand up for the commoners in the area against the will of the local lords. In truth, most of her time was spent watching the lady. She was not terribly adept at hiding it, nor did she really seem to bother. She only faltered when Raffy stood and made his words heard, and she was distracted by the clatter of his coins to the table.

With a start, she looked over. It was as if she had been in another place until then, staring off into space. She looked about awkwardly, and was quite relieved when he finally took his seat and the gathering's attention was not focused in their direction.

During the Vote
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya did not cast a vote one way or another, seeming confused as to what was happening. Instead she looked to Raffy, who held his hand in the air... Though she only seemed MORE confused by that. Unless he gave her some sign that she should follow suit, she would cast no vote.

Post meeting, Illiiya will literally hold to Raffy's arm and follow where he does, afraid of getting lost amidst the crowd. And if the woman should happen to approach her, she'd like to have him around.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs - Back Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy’s Money

Pieter thanked Raffy for his contribution, gathering the coins into the wooden box he produced for the collection.

[hr]

At the Vote

The forest of hands went down.
    “Against?”
    A solitary hand – that of the cautious speaker from before.
    “Abstaining?”
    A few scattered hands rose.
    “Carried, then.”
    “I assume you will be needing me to pay the printers,” said Maria.
    “We will all make what contributions we can,” said Klaus, his face still set in a stern expression. “But – yes, we need your help.”
    “I will visit them tomorrow,” she replied.

Raffy put his question to the Society - many of the speakers’ heads turned, listening politely to his point. Illiiya in particular noticed the lady’s gaze shift to her erstwhile protector.

“We used to,” said Karl, almost apologetically. “Von Brucker never had any teeth. A civilian Baron if ever there was one.”
    “Now Halbermann’s men are on every street corner,” grumbled the man who had provided the dissenting voice against the pamphlet. “They don’t care about the law – they want excuses to come down on people. They want to be seen to be doing their jobs.”
    “Quite,” said Maria. She made eye contact with Raffy. “I’m surprised this... man you saw was not hauled away.”

Klaus nodded. “Von Kemperbad is the tyrant in this town. He’s cunning enough not to proclaim it – but he’s a ruthless man, beneath his piety. You should speak to Ilsa Weisemann, on the East side of the river. She could tell you what happens to people who get in von Kemperbad’s way.”

He paused, some of the animation coming back into his voice.
    “But this is what Magda’s pamphlet is about. Direct action. She and her friends will come back into the public spaces, if the Hounds will let them, try to stir up the people to take heed.”
    “Halbermann will put a stop to that,” said the lone dissenter, cynically.
    “He’s outnumbered a hundred to one,” said the first man. “The people just need to realise that.”
    “I’ve been speaking with some of our old friends,” said another. “Getting them distributed properly through the west town. That’s where we need to spread the word – the east side is already on our side, but even if we emptied the Fields, they could simply close the bridges.”
    “You make it sound like a battle,” said the dissenter, warily. “If this gets violent, Halbermann could clap us all in irons.”
    “There’s no need for it to,” said Klaus. “As Rudi says, we need to get the west town on our side, where they can’t cordon it off. An angry crowd in Tempelplatz will send a message to the Baron that he can’t let the Church trample the rights of the people any more – and stop them from being able to work on their precious cathedral.”
    “It’s risky,” said the sceptic. “A situation like that, anything could spark a fight.”
    “There’s no choice!” came a voice from the right – a very young-looking man, with a face that had never yet seen a razor, intervened in the conversation. “We’ve been lucky so far, but sooner or later winter is going to arrive in force. There are children and elderly on the Fields who will die if nothing is done! The Church is guzzling the money that should be going to feeding and clothing these people, and using it to fatten up Halbermann and his hounds!”
    “Well spoken, Otto” said Maria, smoothly. The boy blushed at the praise. “I will speak to Marius, try to reinforce the Guard presence in the west town. The more legitimate watchmen there are around, the less the Hounds will think they can get away with.”
    “I suppose that would be wise,” said Klaus. Raffy thought he detected a certain sullen note in the young man’s voice at the mention of the Captain’s name.
    “Is the Society agreed, then?”

The table erupted in talk – after Klaus called it to order, the Society assented, even the lone dissenter reluctantly yielding to the prevailing plan of action. Their urgent business concluded, they immediately began to splinter into smaller discussions, details of the plan or the philosophical discussions from the common hall resurrecting themselves with surprising swiftness. Looking for Klaus, Raffy made a bee-line towards the man, Illiiya trailing behind – the young man looked round as Raffy approached.
    “Excuse me,” Raffy began – there was a sweep of colour in the corner of his eye, and Maria had materialised at their side.
    “Pardon my manners,” she said – “we didn’t really have time to be properly introduced outside. I was wondering if I could speak to Illiiya? So few elves pass through here – it would be simply fascinating to hear what she has to say.”
    She turned to the elf, smiling a bright-eyed smile. She bore an expression of genuine interest, like a scholar with some rare book in his reach – almost reluctant to turn her attention back to Raffy.
    “I can see you and Klaus have something to discuss.” She grinned. “Please? We’ll leave you in peace, I promise.”

OOC: However you react to Maria, Klaus is fine talking with Raffy in private, although to him that simply means a conversation with no-one else in it, not leaving the room. If Raffy does want to go outside, it'll have to wait until after the Society is dispersed.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, based on the discussion at the rest of the meeting Raffy would rather speak with Maria one-on-one than Klaus. When she approaches him he says, "If I may be so bold, I would ask only one thing in return for my sister's time... a few minutes of your own. When you two are finished getting to know each other, perhaps we could speak alone? There is something... pressing I need to ask you."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs - Back Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria blinked.

"Of course," she said. "Any friend of Klaus' is a friend of mine. Perhaps after the meeting is over?" She turned to Illiiya with a winning smile. "They serve an excellent Pritzstock wine here. Will you let me buy a bottle for you and your brother?"

She indicated the door to the common hall.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-09 at 07:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy goes along with that, thanking her graciously.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya will agree as well since Raffy has seemed to, though far less confidently.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya - the Tongs, Common Hall (Seth able to witness, not hear clearly)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ushering her out of the crowded room, Maria led Illiiya out into the common hall, chatting inconsequentially as she walked – the words flowed over Illiiya’s head as she stumbled along in the strange woman’s wake. Since she had begun travelling with Ithelus, humans had rarely shown an interest in them – when they did, it was usually one of fear and mistrust.

The innkeeper cleared a table for her, his reserved manner evaporating as he treated the lady like a faithful servant would his mistress – thanking him, she gestured for Illiiya to take a seat, asking the man for some wine or other. He nodded and hurried away.

“I'm sorry for dragging you away from your brother,” said Maria, sitting down opposite and making eye contact – despite her natural urge to, it was difficult for Illiiya to look away. “You're the first elf I've heard of passing through Delberz in years.” She smiled, almost apologetically. “I studied at Nuln – one of my professors was a great elven enthusiast. Thought all Old Worlder languages were descended from Eltharin. I’m afraid I caught a little of his enthusiasm.”

The innkeeper returned with a bottle – he poured a glass for each of them, and left them the bottle, Maria thanking him courteously as he left and taking a long sip. All the time, her lively eyes never left Illiiya’s face.

"So tell me - where are you from?"

[hr]

Raffy - the Tongs, Back Room

Spoiler
    Show
    The Society began to disperse a little, a few of the assembled company going their separate ways - a core remained around Klaus, a couple of satellite groups lingering on its periphery. Raffy did his best to remain engaged, but the only conversation he could understand was the one around Klaus - which was a discussion of the details of distributing their screed once it was printed.

After a while, Pieter left with the charity-box, thanking Raffy again on his way out. The meeting seemed to be beginning to disperse a little...

OOC: Will move things on for you as soon as a little more time has passed in Illiiya's frame.

Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-10 at 06:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

At the Tongs: Meeting with Maria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya gave Raffy a long look of worry as she walked past with the lady Maria. Her nervousness was obvious, and she wrung her hands together in her lap to keep from shaking too much. She glances down at the wine for only a brief moment, as if the woman were going to dart forward and strike at her the moment she did not have Illiiya's gaze fixed upon her.

T-thank you, but I don't... I'm n-not thirsty. She muttered when she was offered wine.

I don't... know, where I'm from. She said awkwardly, speaking slowly and trying to stay composed, It... my brother. He's not my brother. He j-just calls me that. He found me in... a fire. And I can't.. um... r-remember... anything...
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-02-12 at 06:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs - With Maria

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria’s expression softened.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” She nodded toward the door they had just emerged from. “And of course he’s not your brother. It was – insensitive of me to call him so.” She smiled. “Please forgive me? I’m afraid I got a little carried away. You look very much like an elf I once saw, and I thought – well, what does it matter what I thought?”

The expression she wore now was one of solicitous concern, but Illiiya thought she still detected a twinkle of her previous excitement deep in the human’s eyes.

“You said he found you in a fire. Has he told you how it happened?”

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

At the Tongs: Meeting with Maria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya flinched at the memory, recalling fire and pain and death. She could almost feel the heat against her skin and hear the screams of the dying, and the shrieks of the things that feasted on their charred bodies. For a moment she got a glazed look in her eyes as if horrified, and then curled her hands over her ears and shut her eyes tightly, lowering her head and rocking slightly, as if to shut it out.

No no no no no She muttered in a soft, yet desperate tone, It hurts. I don't want to remember it. Please don't make me remember it.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-02-12 at 06:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs - With Maria

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria drew back, biting her lip.

"I'll say no more, I promise. I didn't mean to bring up painful memories."

She paused, for the first time seeming at a loss as to what to say.

"I dare say this is the first time you've been to Delberz?" she tried, hesitantly. "I'm afraid our town isn't as hospitable as it should be, at present, but Klaus and his friends are... good people." She smiled wryly. "Which is a rare thing now, with so much piety sloshing about."

Seemingly finding her comfort zone again, she began to talk rather more volubly - the air of sharp interest hovering behind her eyes had evaporated, Illiiya finding herself immersed in a tide of small talk that skilfully pretended that the previous questions had never been mentioned.

"I do envy you a little, being able to travel where you please," said Maria, Illiiya managing to focus for a minute on what she was saying. "I'm afraid I could never leave Delberz - not in the foreseeable future, at any rate. My poor father, rest his soul, left me a great many things to manage here. Nuln was such fun, in comparison."
    She took a sip from her drink.
    "I don't think I'd trade places, though. Delberz is a good town." She glanced towards the window. "It's a pity to see it go to the Hounds. Still," she said, smiling "I suppose they bring an opportunity to do some good. Klaus and his friends were nothing but a talking-shop before Halbermann appeared."

OOC: Poet, you are now free to have Raffy join their table at any time.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-12 at 03:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Hi LCP, I just got your message. I don't really use messengers at all so I'll give a general idea of what needs to be said in the next spoiler and then we can move the game on. I don't think there is too much back-and-forth needed, but if so we can PM while the rest of the game moves on.

Raffy the Sparrowhawk
    Spoiler
    Show

Once he gets a chance to speak alone with Maria, Raffy tries to show a gracious and thankful attitude. He knows it is a bit much to ask for her time.

"My Lady," he begins, "I see you have a brighter view of Marius than Klaus and the others do. I have a confession to make... I have not been totally forthright with the Society. I am a strong believer in the freedom of man. It's not that I am not sincere. But, my Lady, when I first arrived in Delberz I came with a small party who helped slay a few beast men. Marius hired me on the spot. My Lady, he wants someone to find the real culprit behind the Cathedral bombing so that the Hounds can be discredited. I am sad to say, the trail of clues I've found led, in a roundabout way, right here to the Society."

Assuming she doesn't just walk out, he is quick to continue: "Please don't get me wrong! I am quite sure now that the Society is innocent and that no one in that room was even remotely involved. But you must understand, if even a republican like myself could be misled, how easily the Hounds might imagine a motive for the Society in the bombing."

He hangs his head in his best imitation of shame. "You must think horribly of me for deceiving everyone. The truth is I don't even have the money to be an active member of the Society. Now that I've donated my last coin, I'll be looking for cheaper lodging tomorrow. I hope to continue supporting the Society and the work you do... tonight I felt like I was doing something important for the first time. But I'll understand if you don't want me hanging around any longer, now that you know I'm in the Captain's employ..."

((I'm interested in her answer to that and then I have only one other question for her))

"Do you have to tell Klaus that I deceived him?"