New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Marius regarded Ithelus with a less-than-impressed expression for a moment, but answered the question.

"It would depend how they did it. If they just provided money and a place to hide - well, Delberz may not be Altdorf, but we have our share of nobles and merchants, and there are many men here wealthy enough to pull it off. It's not exactly difficult to pull strings at the Castle," he added, cynically.

"The alternative, I suppose, is someone with real power to direct the investigations away from the real culprits. That would be Lector von Kemperbad, Sergeant Halbermann... and as you say," he said, fixing Ithelus with a steady gaze, "myself."

He paused.

"And my stepmother, I suppose. Since her father's money is paying for this cathedral, she technically has the Lector in her power." He made a face that implied he did not think much of the possibility. "As far as I gather from my father, however, influence flows rather more strongly from the Lector to her than vice versa."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Just in case it ain't clear (it was hard to make this explicit IC without making Marius seem like some kind of bizarre name-dropper), Marius' dad is the Baron. Since you know his second name, it should be more than possible to pick that up from the allusions he makes here (and when you first met him).
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-24 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

'So basically we have to suspect anyone with power or money... or both?' Ithelus chuckles. 'Perhaps we could thin their ranks to make things easier? Any in particular you wouldn't miss sir?' he jokes.

His face then turns serious. 'Sir, I know what I am about to suggest will rub you the wrong way something mighty like but, I would ask of you to try and speed up Wilhelm Dort's release. We both know that the court can pin nothing on him, and he may be willing to talk if given the right incentive. Afterall sir, you cannot deny a man in his position may know somehting, especially if the powder was smuggled into the city.'

He half flinches in anticipation of the Captains response.
    Sigatar by Me

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Marius' expression was becoming increasingly unfriendly.

"Wilhem Dort is a criminal, and a parasite. Before all this began, perhaps one in three of the crimes the Guard was called upon to solve was due to his little 'business'. You want him released because he may know something?" He narrowed his eyes at the elf.

"You believe the court 'cannot pin anything on him'?" he asked.

"That's what I heard," said Ithelus, defensively.

"Then you heard wrong." He cast a printed handbill across the table. "Dort's case was heard this morning. He was found guilty of Possession of Heretical Materials, with a View to Witchcraft and other Unnatural Acts. He will hang tomorrow."

He sat back in his chair.

"They found a dead man's hand in his house. A Hand of Glory, I believe it's called. A witch-talisman, of sorts. He accused Halbermann of planting it - his word against the Sergeant's. You can imagine how that played out."

"Do you think he did?"

"Do I care?" snapped Marius, angrily. "If one jackal chooses to rid the city of another, is it my concern?" He leaned forwards, looking Ithelus in the eye. "I am employing you to help me bring the perpetrators of the Temple bombing to justice, not to plead the case of criminals. Unless you have anything else to report, I suggest you stop wasting my time and get back to the task at hand."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-24 at 07:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Raffy has so far managed to ingratiate himself a bit more than Ithelus, he steps in. Speaking in a soft, nondemanding voice he says,

"I agree, sir. I'll be in the crowd at the hanging - he is criminal scum."

He fixes Ithelus with a stare that has more than its share of double meaning.

"If I may sir, he's a desperate man now that he knows he's going to die. I'd like to capitalise on that. During the trial, or at the sentencing, do you know if there is anything he said he wanted? A final request, or a concern for a family member, anything? If I can do him a favour to set him at ease, he might share whatever information he has before he gets the noose." A pause. "If it please your Excellency."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

"The Hounds are handling his case. If he asked for anything, I wasn't told."

He looked grudgingly at Raffy.

"Even if he did know anything, he'll be under guard by the militia now until tomorrow morning. If Halbermann gets wind of this investigation, you can bet he'll find some way to hurt it - it would look bad for him if you succeeded where he's failed. You are not to give him a reason. Is that understood?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

After Marius has been assured (by himself and/or others) that the party will not question the condemned man, Seth thanks him graciously for his time and departs.

Outside, Seth begins, "This is starting to become a tad overwhelming. Too many rich and powerful toes lining up to be stepped on in our path." A glint comes into his eye. "We'll have to be careful how we put this case together; because I only want to step on the right toes, but I want those toes broken."

"I doubt we'll find Puderbrand at the location Maria mentions in that letter, but every shred of evidence and information helps; I no longer consider Puderbrand the grand prize. He left a trail like a club-footed cow; only the garish presence of the Hounds has shielded him thus far. I feel that to find the real culprit here, we will have to look up; and to win against that enemy, we may need to dig very far down."

He stumbles slightly on "that enemy", and a clever listener might realize he was skirting the use of a gender-specific pronoun. "So unless someone has a better plan, I recommend investigating the suspect's last known address; then attempt to track the movements he made while transporting the blackpowder more recently."

He suddenly looks worried-"OH! And...Maria seemed to imply it will be unlikely..." His face becomes grave. "...but if at all possible, I think it is vital that Puderbrand be brought in alive-and I should think t'were best we question him ourselves before we hand him off to the guard."
    Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-02-25 at 02:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Following Seth, they made their way to Helstrum’s Ward – Raffy knew the way, leading them past the Neumarket and deep into the lower town.

Helstrum’s Ward turned out to be a narrow, muddy yard, overshadowed by leaning, decrepit houses on all four sides – some exceptionally slanty specimens were propped up with rotting timber struts, sagging roofs shedding tiles or composed of mouldering thatch. A wooden carter’s gate blocked off one of the four entrance-ways, while a squat, stone well stood in the centre of the yard, a bucket and pulley dangling over its yawning black mouth. As they entered the square, a scrawny ginger cat flashed out of a back-alley to their right, bolting between their feet with a yowl of fear – three great rats bounded after it in hot pursuit. They scrabbled to a halt as they saw the humans, turning tail and fleeing back into the shadows – the cat mewed, cowering behind Ithelus’ shins. It followed them across the square, unwilling to let its inadvertent protectors abandon it.

Finding the address Maria had given them, Seth knocked on the door – barely more than a bundle of planks nailed together. There was a muffled cursing from within, and the door creaked open – a fat, jowly man glowered out at them.

“Yes?” he snapped. “What?”
    “We’re looking for a man named Henrik Puderbrand.”
    “Hah!” The man snorted unpleasantly. “So’m I. Owes me three weeks’ rent.” He scowled. “But I ha’n’t seen hide nor hair of him for more’n a month now. Bastard did a runner.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-25 at 03:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Raffy tells von Brucker that his orders are understood.

Once the ginger cat hides behind Ithelus and follows, Raffy offers it a morsel of food. He tries to get it tame enough to let him touch it, in the hopes that it will continue to follow them around.

Spoiler
    Show

I am not sure if this if a fellowship check (TN: 29) or if it uses my Outdoor Survival skill (which comes off Int; I have an Int of 30).

Either way, here is the roll
    (1d100)[66]

Once at the door, Raffy lets someone else do the talking.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-02-25 at 08:09 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar grins down at the cat. "Dunno if I'd try to feed that thing, Raffy. It might mistake your hand for a pale rat."

10. - Top - End - #370

BardGuy

Seth proceeds straight to the obvious and neccesary first question. "Do you have any idea where he might have gone?"

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Seemingly distrustful of Raffy's offer, the cat scurried behind Lothar, peeking out from behind the soldier's legs to watch Raffy with a wary eye.

"If I knew where he was, I wouldn't be letting it lie," said the man in the doorway, with a grim chortle. "Like I said, 'e owes me money. Three weeks he was askin' for credit, and then when I'd just about had enough, I found 'e'd already bolted. Took his stuff with 'im, what little 'e 'ad."

The man shrugged. "Good riddance, is what I say. Ugly feller."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

"How much does he owe?" asks Raffy.

((No matter what the answer...))

"Well I won't be paying all that for him, but I can give you a coin toward it if we can h ave a look at the room he was staying in."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

"Three crowns, eight shillin'," said the man.

He took Raffy's money with a hungry glint in his eye.

"Be my guest," he said, standing aside to let them in. "You won't find nothin', though. He din't leave much behind."

The man wasn't lying: the room Puderbrand had apparently rented was almost bare, a rough wooden chair and table rammed into one corner beside the room's single, grimy window, while a narrow bed nestled under the slope of the sagging ceiling - dirty straw poked through holes in the mattress. A few coarse woolen blankets had been thrown over it, with more on the floor and a selection of rusty cooking utensils cluttering the table.

"Got a family from Schoppendorf stayin' here now," said the landlord, by way of explanation. The room was barely big enough for one. "Or what used to be Schoppendorf. Should 'ave got rid of ol' Henrik sooner, really - everyone's lookin' for a place to stay these days."

He cracked his knuckles.

"Don't think there's anything of Henrik's still 'ere," he said. "If there was, I'd've sold it to make back 'is debt."

He looked round at Raffy.

"If you find him, it'd be worth your coin back if you tol' me where he was."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: What denomination coin did you give him?
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-26 at 12:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Raffy flips the man one gold crown. "This is for the tour. If you find him you can still charge him the full three-eight. Just don't mention we're looking for him, right?"

As he looks around the room, he answers the landlord's question. "We can do that." He looks at the desk and pulls the chair out, idly poking around

Spoiler
    Show

Does our thief rogue pre-law student want to make any kind of rolls to search this place?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus crouches down to look at the cat at eye level. He also begins to chuckle as it runs away from Raffy. He then absent mindedly stretches out an arm in its direction, seeing if it prefers elves to humans.

Inside Ithelus began to study the room carefully, especially looking for traces of powder.

He then turns to Illiiya, and without wanting to ask her outright if she can sense any residue of magic or chaos in the room he turns to her, 'You don't... feel... anyhting unusual do you?'

Spoiler
    Show

Search roll: (1d100)[32]
    Target 36
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

The room held nothing in the way of clues - just the ordinary clutter of the family who lived there now. Ithelus felt a bit odd poking about in their things.

Illiiya:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing unusual from the Witchsight.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cat success/failure will be determined by a Fellowship roll.

17. - Top - End - #377

Lothar steps away from the cat, looking cross. "Get outta it!"

He smoothes his beard with a hand while the others rummage through the refugee family's stuff. "Here, landlord- he have any mates come by? I bet we're not the first lot lookin' for him."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-02-27 at 06:43 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

The man scratched his bristly chin.

"Ain't seen no-one askin' for him since he left. Had people callin' for him once or twice while he was here - some carter, I remember. You could smell the straw on 'im." He shrugged. "That was a while back now, though."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya looked at Ithelus and gave a slight nod, She seemed slightly less anxious than usual now that he was back with her, even looking to the wandering cat with a soft smile.

If it's a bad place.. the cat would know. She said to the others, holding out a hand to the stray, Animals always know.

She dug around through her things for some scraps of anything to feed the stray animal, before speaking again to no one in particular.

We should get a pet. Something to keep around at night and keep us safe.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

20. - Top - End - #380

Lothar scratches at his own beard and nods. "Right, well, maybe we can track him down via his mates. That'll work." He looks over at Illiiya and, shaking his head, looks about to say something and thinks better of it.

He shifts his swordbelt and turns away. "C'mon, lads, no point in rummaging about. Burn-face has sodded off."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Some people seem to assume that the cat thing is still going on inside the house; I assumed that the cat thing happened before we knocked on the door. Either way, here is Raffy's response to Illiiya.

"A pet? I like that. We should!" The youth seems genuinely excited about something for the first time since the beast man fight. Then he glances over at Ith. "By the way, I'm going to need to come stay with you, if you don't mind."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Jumping up onto Ithelus’ shoulder, the cat looked expectantly at Illiiya’s pack, licking the back of its paw – their host seemed to notice it for the first time.

“Hey, you can’t bring that mangy thing in here! ‘s probably infested with fleas!”

He made a shooing motion at the animal – it hissed at him, and went back to grooming itself.

“It’s alright, we’re going,” said Lothar. Heading back down the rickety stairs, they walked out into the sunlight – the cat trotted after them, still watching Illiiya in the patient expectation of food.

Hearing the plan to enquire after the carter, Seth excused himself. “The beggars around the Neumarket must have seen something when our friend was moving his barrels from Karlsen’s the other day,” he said. “I’ll see where the trail leads, and meet you later.”

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Care to define a rendezvous?

Agreeing to his plan, the main group split off, heading out of Helstrum’s Ward at a respectable pace – the street cat watched them go, seemingly torn as to whether to follow them.

There was a faint squeaking from one of the alleyways, and a large black rat began to shuffle out of the shadows, a hungry look in its eye. With an alarmed mew, the cat took off after its new friends...

[hr]

Raffy, Illiiya, Ithelus & Lothar (& Cat)

Spoiler
    Show

Heading north towards the Drakwald road, the group found itself beginning to approach the outskirts of town – the buildings here were lower, many looking of recent construction. Poorly-constructed thatched roofs and flaking wattle-and-daub walls were the common denominator, the occasional group of better-constructed buildings marking where an old house had stood outside the town before its recent expansion.

The Carter’s Rest was one such building: a high stone wall enclosed its sprawling stable-yard, arches high and broad enough for a cart to pass through piercing it in two places. Its front door opened onto the rutted road, the doorstep scored and muddied by the passage of countless boots.

Inside, the inn smelt of hay, mud and stale sweat. At this time of day, it was mostly empty, the innkeeper sitting behind the bar idly polishing a stein. He was a big man, with thick arms and a bushy brown beard – seeing the new arrivals, he stood up, meeting their eyes with an expectant air.

“What can I do for you, gents?” he asked, amicably.
    “We’re looking for a fellow called Friedrich Hoffer,” said Lothar. “Wondering if you’d seen him round here?”
    “Friedrich? Sure. Old customer,” said the innkeeper. “Stables his horse and cart here. Don’t speak to him much these days, though – he’s got some night job. Takes the ol’ cart out every evening, reg’lar, and it stays mewed up here in the day. Don’t know where he goes in the meantime – s’pose he catches up on his sleep.” He began polishing the stein again. “You friends of his?”

[hr]

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back to the Neumarket, Seth stopped at a corner – the beggar who sat leaning against the damp wall here was clearly advanced in years, a matted grey beard stretching down to his waist. He was asleep, an empty bottle of some rotgut stuff lying by his hand – slow snores rumbled over his lips, picking up a resonant growl in the man’s surprisingly broad chest. His cap lay empty at his feet, picked clean of others’ charity by the gutter children of the lower town.

“Excuse me,” said Seth, looking warily down at the slumbering beggar. The man continued to snore.

Excuse me,” he repeated, crouching down and gently shaking the man by the shoulder. He started awake with an alarmed snort.
    “Sorry to disturb you, but I want to ask if you’ve seen a man with a burned face –“
    The beggar sat bolt upright, grabbing two fistfuls of Seth’s mail shirt and pulling the squire’s face down until the tips of their noses were a mere inch apart. The man’s boozy breath gusted in Seth’s nostrils, wide, wild eyes staring unblinkingly into his own.

“I’ve seen things,” breathed the beggar. “I’ve seen things you wouldn’t believe. Men wi’ daemons in their eyes. A man wi’ eyes in his beard! I’ve seen the things what wait down in the dark! Hungry things! I’ve seen a dog what could talk! A naked tail! A grave in a box! Evil it is, the stink of evil on this town!”

“Yes,” said Seth, struggling to extricate himself politely from the man’s vice-like grip, “but – have you seen a man with a burned face?”

The beggar blinked, letting go his hold.
    “...Nope,” he said, with a calm shrug, and fell directly back to sleep.

Continuing in the same vein, he found the burned man frustratingly elusive – while there were a multitude of beggars plaguing the streets around the Neumarket, their powers of observation left something to be desired, and their numbers trailed off sharply towards the more affluent old town. Only two had anything useful to say: the beggar-woman Ithelus had found the previous day, and another, a one-legged man who sat on the corner of Neumarket and Trough Street.

The woman watched Seth suspiciously, as if she feared he might attempt to arrest her – when Ithelus put the question to her, however, she answered.

“Burned face? There was a cove like that hangin’ about Karlsen’s powder store a couple o’ days ago. ‘Im an’ ‘is mates ‘ad a little cart – headed off t’ward the old town.”

The one-legged man, meanwhile, looked cynically up at them from his seat on the ground, listening with a knowing expression as Seth recounted Puderbrand’s description.

“Yeah,” he said. “I seen ‘im.”
    Stretching out his arm, he pointed at the green-painted roofed wagon that sat in the corner of the market.
    “He just went in there.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-02-28 at 11:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Along the way, Illiiya stopped to purchase a few treats for her new cat friend, happy that it seemed so fond of them. Ithelus in particular. It just further proved to her that he was safe to be around.... even animals seemed to know so.

She made an attempt to hand-feed the cat... not picking it up just yet, but trying to get it comfortable with her and the others. In fact she seemed quite distracted with the feline, but strangely happy, in a way she rarely was.

When the group reached the inn, she wrinkled her nose at the smell, letting the men talk to the innkeeper. Humans rarely seemed to take well to her for some reason... and she was too distracted with her new friend to mind much.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Main Group

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus walked along with the others, smiling at Illiiya's new found happiness. And seeing as the cat had already marked it out he picked it up and placed it on his right shoulder during the walk, every now and then lowering his body so Illiiya could stroke it or feed it.

When they arrived he stayed at the back with Illiiya, letting the humans do the talking.
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #385

Not!Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    "Friends of a friend of his, you could say." Lothar pauses gesturing vaguely at the others. "We were told that he might be able to help us out with moving some stuff- you don't know where he's stayin' at?"
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-02-28 at 10:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Main Group

Spoiler
    Show
    "Not a clue, sorry. He's always been a quiet sort. Kept hisself to hisself."

He shrugged.

"You could hang about here if you want to catch him, though he won't stay long. He gen'rally turns up for his cart round about ten o'clock."

27. - Top - End - #387

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Cursing under his breath for finding himself alone in such a situation, Seth hurriedly urges the man "Is he alone? And does he come by here often?"

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    The beggar shrugged.

"He was alone when he went in. I never seen him before, but a face like that you notice."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-01 at 09:19 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Raising his eyebrows, and gingerly touching some of his not-yet-healed wounds from days earlier, Seth grins devilishly. Then, putting on a straight face, he proceeds into the building.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    Approaching the wagon, Seth thought he could hear muted voices from within. Quietly ascending the wooden steps to its door, he grasped the handle – there was a clunk of metal as he tried to open it, some kind of latch preventing the door from opening.

The voices within went silent. There was a hint of urgent whispering from inside, followed by a wooden rattling noise – after a few seconds, rapid footsteps approached the door. A bolt drew back with a tinny metallic scrape, and the upper section of the door hinged inward, a short man in a grimy leather cap looking up at Seth. He blinked in surprise as he saw the squire’s face – it was the stooped little man who had approached him on their first night in Delberz, asking about the beasts on the road. The interior of the wagon behind him was incredibly gloomy – in the narrow field of view that Seth could see, he could not make out any other figure among the clutter that seemed to fill the claustrophobic wooden space, but it would be easy for a man to lurk out of sight in the blacker shadows, or simply to stand to one side of the door.

Seemingly recovering his composure, the man before him smiled an oily, insincere smile.
    “Why it’s you, sir!” he said. “Thank you very much for the, ah, warning – I sent word to my niece right away. Can I... help you with something?”