New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Spoiler
    Show

"Aye, sir, I've had my friends take a look at these cuts, but they're a mite persistent. I noticed your wagon on my way through town, and thought I'd inquire after an ointment or somesuch." Seth raises his eyebrow quizzically. "Though if you're not open for business, I could manage to walk on it for another day, I suppose."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    The man’s smile widened briefly at Seth’s words.

“Actually, that would be very convenient, sir – very convenient indeed. Perhaps tomorrow? I’m afraid I’m in the middle of something very delicate at the moment – preparing ingredients and such, you know. Come back tomorrow, by all means.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-01 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Letting out a disappointed sigh, Seth replies "Very well, sir." He makes a show of holding his side and wincing as he walks down the steps. Careful not to catch attention through a window, he flicks a silver coin to the beggar, saying softly "I never said a word to you, savvy?" and continues to stalk on out of sight.

Once safely out of earshot, Seth bolts hell-for-leather for the carter.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy orders a cheap ale and sits down at a table with the others. Once the innkeeper is engaged in something else he'll speak in a low voice to the others.

"No need to wait here all day. If we can be back by 9 we can catch him... I want to go ask Klaus to introduce me to that woman who had problems with the Lector. Illiiya, do you want to come?"

((Of course as we sit around talking there is always the chance that Seth will stumble in the door, which I'm hoping he does. But Raffy has no idea he found powderburn man so Raffy sees no reason to wait for him.))

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm?

Illiiya looked up from her new friend cat in confusion, unaware that Raffy was speaking to her until he spoke her name. After he repeated his query, she gazed from him to Ithelus and back again once, wringing her hands together nervously upon the table.

Y-you want to find the hurt woman? She asked, Um, I suppose I can go. She might feel better talking to a woman... unless it bothers her that I'm an elf.

She looked at Ithelus a moment, then reached down to pet the cat, and give it one last bit of the food she'd gotten it.

Will you watch him while I'm gone, please? Illiiya said gently to Ithelus, I'd like you to come with us, but I don't think you can. I'll be back soon, I hope.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not!Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shrugs, and nods. "Yeah, you two go'n do that. I'll stick around here, see if our friend the carter turns up a bit early. I'll ask around about him, see if I can find out where he lives- maybe we can cut this short." He gestures vaguely at the bar. "Meantime, I'll have a drink."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fellowship roll for asking after our 'friend' amongst the regulars- and I'll ask after Puderbrand as well, for the heck of it:

(1d100)[76]

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

"Yeah," says Raffy to the elf girl. "I figure she hates the Lector, and the Lector hates elves, so she might like you." Yep, that was the reason. It isn't that he's starting to get a soft spot for Illiiya or anything. It's not like his heart goes out to orphans or she reminds him of his sister, who always fed stray animals. No no. It's because an elf might be useful.

He gets up and heads out of the Carter's Rest to seek out Klaus.

((Still hoping we run smack into Seth as we walk out of the building... if not, then I'm ready to fast forward.))

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Pushing back his chair, Raffy turned to leave, Illiiya following - as he walked towards the door, it burst open, an out-of-breath-looking Seth stumbling over the threshold.

"Puderbrand! I think I've found him," he panted, leaning against the wall. "If we hurry, we might catch him."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Looks like you're in luck, Poet.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy's hand is already on his 'buss just from seeing the door fly open in such a hurry. One look at Seth and he's forgotten about Klaus.

"Let's go, everyone! Move it!"

To Seth: "We have to take him alive if we can. We don't have any solid proof and if the Hounds decide it's murder, Marius may not save us."

He's ready to job across town if needs be to wherever Seth indicates.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus immediately stands, one hand already by his sickle. He turns to the barman, 'I'll pay you to keep the cat for me,' he then picks it up and places it on the counter.

He then moves outside, 'let's go'
    Sigatar by Me

11. - Top - End - #401

BardGuy

(Assuming no one has any objections to us continuing immediately on): Seth leads the party hurriedly back towards the wagon, explaining on the way.

"A beggar told me he'd just seen a man with a burned face walk into a wagon behind him. When I knocked, a man I met a couple days ago answered, and seemed eager to be rid of me. When I met him, he was looking for the men who fought the beastmen, and told me he wanted to send word to his nephew. Today, he mentioned his niece, so that's obviously rubbish.

"When we get there, we should stay out of sight; Ithelus, you should sneak up and listen in, see if the two of them are still in there, talking. If not, I told him I'd be back tomorrow;
    we can interrogate him then."

On the last leg, Seth signals to slow down, and brings the party to a stop behind a building 50-100 ft. away.

"Ithelus, if there's no one in there, ask the beggar which way the men inside went. He's already got a silver out o' the deal, I doubt he'll be sly."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiles and pulls his hat over his ears. He strolls over to the wagon, hands in pockets looking non-chalent but not trying to hide where he was headed, that would look suspicious. Standing outside the cart he ***** his head and hopes his elven hearing can pick up anything.
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

There was no sound of voices from within the wagon - listening closely, Ithelus thought he heard a single set of footsteps moving about inside.

Seth's beggar was still sitting across the square, the legless man looking cynically up at the people walking past. He had clearly not noticed Ithelus yet.

If/when Ithelus questions the beggar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cripple looked up with greedily glimmering eyes.

"You with that feller from before?" he asked. Not waiting for a reply, he pointed east, towards the centre of town. "Ugly left on his own a couple o' minutes ago. Headed for the old town at a fair old pace."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-03 at 06:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus thanked him and informed the others of this.

'So we try and chase him or we er... question the other one' he says, fingering the handle of his sickle.
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #405
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar stepped up. "We split up. Seth, you take the siblings and question your ol' mate about why he's curious about beasties. Raffy, you're about to make good on your bounty hunting- let's go track ugly." He grinned broadly, splitting his bearded face wide. "Sigmar's blood, this is about to get exciting."

He glances down at the beggar; nods. "Cheers."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting off towards the old town as fast as they could through the crowds of the Neumarket, Raffy and Lothar followed the pointing fingers of various idlers and beggars, soon finding themselves emerging onto the busy thoroughfare of New Street. The rutted road was thronged with people and carts – Lothar felt a tug on his arm as Raffy cried out, pointing to their left. The soldier caught a glimpse of a dirty woollen cloak vanishing down a side-street before the object of Raffy’s attention was gone.

“It was him!” the Sparrowhawk said, urgently. “Come on!”

Jostling their way through the crowds, the pair clambered over a stationary cart to the displeased shouts of the driver, dropping to the other side and accelerating towards the street where the man had vanished. Turning the corner, they saw it was empty – a baker filling a handcart with his wares pointed them in the direction their man had gone, turning a corner up ahead. Pressing on, they turned to see the corner of a grey cloak disappearing into an alley that led off from the street on their left, only thirty feet ahead of them.

Running to the mouth of the alleyway, they staggered to a halt, staring into its depths – the narrow lane was empty. Its cobbled width was barely enough for three men to walk abreast, the overhanging eaves of the ancient houses that formed its boundary casting the entire place into shadow. The buildings squeezed up against each other, barely space for a rat between them, and the alley was far too long for their man to have reached the other end – but there was no sign of him. The closed doors and shuttered windows of the darkened buildings stared back at them like great, forbidding faces, the only movement in their gloomy den a crow settling on a roof towards the other end of the street...

[hr]

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Approaching the cart, Seth knocked sharply on the door. Footsteps sounded inside, and the top section of the door was drawn back again, the same man’s wizened face greeting him.

“You again?” he said, in surprise. Seeming to recall his manners, he added “- sir,” rather too late. “I thought you was to come back tomorrow?”

He seemed to notice Illiiya and Ithelus for the first time.

“You... brought friends?” he said, seeming completely at a loss at the sudden presence of the Fair Folk on his doorstep.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 06:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

Seth puts on a dour face. When the mans eyes wander to his companions he whistles, and points to his face.

"Eyes here. What's your business with Puderbrand. He's the one we want. Talk, and your name'll never even come up. Don't talk...well, suffice to say there are any number of ways we can play this, some of which are even legal, but none of which you'll like."

Not sure what Intimidate consists of-half my fellowship, I assume-I'll just roll the d100.

Fellowship: 39 (1d100)[33]

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    "Puderbrand?" said the man, a little too hastily. "Never heard of him."

His eyes flicked from side to side, his hand clearly itching to close the door.

"What's this about?" he said, a wheedling tone entering his voice. "I've done nothing wrong. I pay the sergeant his dues. Can't you leave an honest trader in peace?"

19. - Top - End - #409

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"The burn-scarred man you met with today has many enemies, friend. Now, I want to keep this investigation as narrow as possible. The sooner I hand someone in for interrogation, the better it is for me. But I've got a sense of justice in me, and its telling me that you might not deserve to be thrown to the dogs. But my patience is wearing thin. If you can't help me track the fellow down, my best bet to keep my job is to finger you and be done with it. So you have three options. You can open the door, come out, and take a walk with us. Or you can close the door, we can break it, and THEN you can take a walk with us. Or third, you can keep your nice, safe door between us, and tell me what I want to know."

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The man squirmed, hesitating for a long moment as he looked into Seth's eyes. A thought seemed to strike him - he opened his mouth, closed it again, then finally spoke, his face fixed in a nervous, yellow-toothed grin.

"Alright - you got me - he was here. I didn't want to say 'cos it might've landed me in trouble... he was asking me to help him out, see, with his hand. I told him I didn't do stuff like that, that it would land me in trouble with the Church, that by rights I should report him - but he threatened me, sir, he said if I told anyone he'd come back in the night and cut my throat."

The man grimaced, theatrically dragging a finger across the grimy stubble of his thin neck.

"That was when you showed up, sir. 'Course, I had to hide him, or he'd have had my guts for garters - but he wasn't going to trust me to amputate a hand, not after he'd had to threaten me to keep my silence. Said I might just strap him down to the table and go fetch the Hounds."

"That's all I know, sir. Swear on my mother's grave."

OOC: Could each of the three of you please take an Intelligence test.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 01:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #411

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

"Sure it wasn't your uncle's grave? Or you niece's, perhaps? Why were you so interested in our encounter with the Beastmen on the road?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy stares down the dark alley. His instincts tingle and he spins to look the other way, behind them.

Assuming he sees no one either way, he draws his 'buss (loaded) and says to Lothar, "Watch my back."

He walks down the dark alley at a dueler's pace, keeping sharp eyes in the shadows.

((Note: has Night Vision (see in darkness up to 30 yds); Perception at 30; Silent Move at 39 and Shadow at 39; feel free to roll for me if needed))

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-03-08 at 03:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The man blinked. “I told you, didn’t I? My niece was going to be travelling on that road, I didn’t want her to come to harm.”

[hr]

Raffy & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Advancing warily, Raffy looked around – despite the gloom cast by the surrounding houses, there were few places to hide in the claustrophobic alleyway.

Walking to the end of the street, he saw no sign of their prey: turning back, he scanned the narrow lane again. Every window that looked out onto the street was on an upper floor and shuttered, the overhanging eaves bringing some of the upper floors so close together that you could probably reach out and touch someone in the window of the house opposite. There were twelve doors facing out into the alley, most of them looking as if they had seen better days – their paint was peeling, and the small, stone steps that led up to them had been worn concave by the passage of countless feet over the years.

Spoiler
    Show
    A couple of magical mystery rolls*: (1d100)[98], (1d100)[56]
    *If I said what they were for, that might tip you off as to what a success would tell you, so they're mystery rolls instead.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 03:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

"Yes, yes, and three days ago it was your nephew. Fine, I tried to save you a world of trouble, but you're obviously not having it. Since you have no intention of taking option 3, you're reduced to coming along quietly, or doing things the hard way." Seth places a hand on his sword hilt. "And if we have to do this the hard way, I'm going to be in a foul mood. And it's a long walk to the guardhouse."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The man paled a little.

"Nephew, niece... I'm getting old," he said pathetically. "I must have got mixed up."

He looked around for assistance; seeing none was forthcoming, he looked back at Seth.

"Who are you, anyway? You're not a Guard, you're not wearing the ribbon - why should I listen to this nonsense? I have rights, you know!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 03:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"We've been hired by the guard to investigate the bombing of the old Church. And of course you have rights-seeing as how your life has been threatened, I daresay the state has a duty to protect you. And since you've already told us you spoke with the man, our employer is going to want to have a very LONG talk with you."

Seth shrugs with a disbelieving laugh. "Sir, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by covering for Puderbrand, but the best you can possibly hope for is a very painful conversation in a back room. You're not doing yourself any favors by being cagey with me; I'm out for myself, here, but I've got nothing against you. But if you insist on clinging to denial like a rat on a sinking ship, I've got no choice."

As he says this, he places a gloved hand solidly on the top of the bottom door; knuckles braced, so slamming the top section will have minimal effect.

"You have 5 seconds to convince me not to open this door."

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show

"Five," said Seth.

“Now wait just a minute,” gabbled the man.

"Four."

“I’ve told you everything I know. It’s Puderbrand you want, not me.”

His tone had reverted to the obsequious wheedling that seemed to be his default setting. Seth kept counting over him, the seconds ticking away.

"Three..."

“Can’t we come to some kind of understanding? It was very rude of me not to thank you properly for my niece’s sake. A gentleman like yourself wouldn’t look disfavourably on a gift now, would he?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 04:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

Seths eyes widen and his nostrils flare, his reaction to a bribe being blatantly apparent.

"TWO."

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-08 at 04:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    An expression of panic flickered across Adolphus' face.

"You haven't got any authority," he stammered, looking for a new angle. "You can't take me anywhere. You try and make me, I'll call the Hounds. Sergeant Halbermann, he's a reasonable man. He'll listen to reason."

30. - Top - End - #420

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

Seth lazily looks left, looks right, and turns back. "One."

He pulls the door open and takes a step forward.