New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    “HELP!” shrieked the apothecary, backing up into the darkness of his wagon. “Kidnap! Robbery! HELP!”

The busy marketplace around the wagon ground to a halt – from where they had been sitting on an unattended crate, a pair of armed men across the square rose to their feet, beginning to shove their way through the gawking crowd. From his vantage-point on the wagon’s steps, Ithelus could make out the white armbands of the Hounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: They will take about thirty seconds to reach you due to the mass of people in the way.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

Seth will wait quite calmly for the Hounds to arrive, keeping an eye on Adolphus.

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-08 at 05:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Shoving their way to the front of the crowd of onlookers, the two Hounds peered up at Seth and the elves – both fitted out with stained leather jacks, one of them was a wiry, black-haired man, while the other was burly and bald – a noughts-and-crosses board of old scars covered his naked scalp, the twin-tailed comet of Sigmar branded onto his knotty forehead. The first man carried a rusty spear, while the second had a fearsome-looking wooden flail slung over his shoulder.

“What’s all this, then?” said the first Hound, his voice carrying the nasal self-satisfaction of a small-minded man in a position of power. “You folks giving Mr Pilserier trouble?”

Before Seth could reply, Adolphus writhed past him, sticking his head out of the door to look at the militiamen.

“Yes!” he said, emphatically. “This man is threatening me! Trying to drag me out of my own home! Do something!”

The crowd was still watching intently, their trivial tasks of the moment forgotten in the name of a good bit of street drama. Sizing up his options, the Hound who had spoken turned his eyes to Seth.

“That true, sir?”

Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 05:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424

BardGuy

Interrogation

Spoiler
    Show

Seth shakes his head in grave confusion. "I've been asked by Marius Von Brucker to detain a person of interest and anyone he's come into contact with. Adolphus here told me he was held at knife-point by the man, and his testimony is needed down at the station-not to mention, the city guard cannot guarantee his safety out here. But when I insisted he accompany us, he flew into a panic.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh-ho!" said the Hound, an ugly grin cracking his features. "A person of interest? Who might that be, mister?"

He leant on his spear, sizing Seth up with an insolent regard. "You say the ol' Captain sent you? You don't look like no guard to me."

6. - Top - End - #426

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Seth adopts a more frank tone.

"The man we're after's a general low-life, got kicked out of a shop down in the Neumarket a few days ago. Marius told me he wanted 'im brought in all quiet-like, but 'e don't tell us mercs nuffin else, and like you say, I got no guard ribbon, so how much can a body do? But the people about say they saw a man matchin' 'is description, all burnt in the face, havin' a long chat wit' this fellow 'ere, and he comes out looking frighted for his life sayin' he was held at knife-point. But when I ask him to come wif us, he changes his tune right quick, tells us to sod off-even though he said the man told him e'd kill 'im if he squawked.

"Now I want to be neighborly, but this fellow ain't engenderin' my sympathies. Makes me right suspicious, 'e does.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

New check with the Hounds, extra roll is a fortune point re-roll in case the first one is higher than 39 (otherwise, ignore it; I didn't bother re-roll).

Fellowship: 39 (1d100)[55]

(1d100)[68]

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-08 at 05:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427

BardGuy

OOC message mispost.
    Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-08 at 06:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The first Hound scratched his chin.

"I never heard of the Captain hirin' mercs. Did you ever hear such a thing, Gulli?"

The second Hound gave a grunt that presumably indicated 'no'.

"Nope, Gulli never heard of it neither." His grin returned. "That's quite a changeable voice you got there, too."

Someone in the crowd laughed - a grim sound.

"How about we bring you along o' the Sergeant, mister? If what you're sayin's the truth, he oughter know about this fellow you're huntin' after. We'll leave Gulli here to make sure Mr Pilserier stays safe, don't you worry."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-08 at 06:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy will move from one door to the next, starting at the dead end of the alley.

He reaches out gingerly and tries each door to see if they are locked.

His aim is to be as quiet as possible, and if one is unlocked, not to open it at all - not, that is, until Lothar is ready to go in with him.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The doors were locked - working up one side of the alley, Raffy worked his way back down the other to no avail. Halfway down, however, he noticed something as he tried the handle of the eighth door - there was a fresh, muddy bootprint on the worn stone step.

The traces of mud were still wet - it could not have been made more than a few minutes ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    More magical mystery rolls! (1d100)[90] (1d100)[4]
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-09 at 03:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar shivered, watching the crow dancing in the sky overhead. He lowered his voice, one hand on a sword. "C'mon, Raf. Yer a 'hunter, right? Find his tracks, and I'll be right behind you. Time's a-wastin', and that crow is an ill omen."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiles and thinks fast.

''Scuz me gentlemen,'
    He walks forward. 'It is my understanding that you have no more authority in this place than we do, not being a guardsman and all. So either you go about your business, or Gulli here runs along to the Guardhouse and speaks to the captain directly whilst we wait here.'

His hands fingers the hilt of his sickle, and he has instinctively placed himself in between Illiiya and the hounds. He is also holding the Captain's signature in his pouch, but hopes he will not have to use it.
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show
    The boy points silently at the door in front of him, the one with the muddy bootprint before it. He edges quietly away from it and whispers to Lothar,

"That's the door, but it's locked. Let's go around front and see if we can find out what it is. Maybe we can get in another way."

He frowns. "Unless you wanna stay here and watch this way while I check the other one?"

Either way, before leaving the alley Raffy will try a variety of methods to make sure he can find the right building (or the right part of a larger building) when he goes around the block. This includes noting the colour/type of stone (or other construction) the building is made of; counting paces from the turn in the alleyway; and looking up at the roofs of the buildings to count chimneys or note any other landmarks. If possible he'll climb up on crates or barrels, or a door lintel, in the main alleyway to get a better view of the roofs.

All this should take just a minute or two, and as soon as it is done he heads out of the alley. He turns right on the street, counting paces to the next intersection and subtracting the number of paces it took to get to the locked door.

Once he has gone around the block he checks for the landmarks and counts the remaining paces. This should leave him standing in front of a building that looks similar to the one Puderman went into.

Lothar can come along or not, of course, at his own discretion. Raffy's buss is holstered again but his hand stays near it. He looks at the doors and windows for any sign of Puderman lying in wait, or anyone peeking out to look for unwanted visitors.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-03-09 at 11:59 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show

The Hound leered.

“You new ‘round here? You think the Hounds don’t have no authority, you better take that up with the Lector, mister.”

He shrugged.

“But we can do it your way. Why don’t we all take a trip to the Guard House, eh? Mr Pilserier ain’t goin’ anywhere. We’ll see what the Captain has to say ‘bout your story.”

[hr]

Lothar & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back round to the other side of the row of houses that walled in the alley, Raffy found what he was fairly certain was the front of the house – it seemed to be nothing more than a home, better-built than most of the houses they had seen in their travels in the lower town, but at the same time a building that had seen better days. The street out front was barely wider than the alley, a couple of children playing with a hoop and stick in front of one of the other houses – they scuttled back at the sight of Raffy, watching the newcomer with wide, curious eyes.

The house’s front door looked solid, a tarnished knocker in the shape of a lion’s head holding a brass ring in its mouth bolted to its centre. A couple of narrow, latticed windows looked out onto the street, two more occupying the upper floor’s front wall like beady eyes. The windows at ground level were exceptionally dusty, looking as if they had not been cleaned for weeks – if not months. No light or movement was visible through the patina of grime that caked both sides of the glass panes.

Trying the handle, he found that the front door too was locked...
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-09 at 12:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

*pretending not to be enamored with the idea*

"Ugh...alright, but someone's got to keep an eye on 'im, else he might wander off. And hound or no, I'm sure you can think of better ways to spend your time than ruining Marius's day."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The idea of offending the Captain seemed to give the militiaman pause for thought.

"Alright then," he said, reluctantly. "Gulli, stay with Mr Pilserier, will you? Make sure no scary scarred men come runnin' at him with a knife," he added, in a sarcastic tone.
    "Really, officer, there's no need -" began Adolphus, nervously. The Hound lowered his voice, addressing the apothecary in a more conversational tone.
    "Sorry, Mr Pilserier, but if Captain von Brucker really wants it done this way, 's more'n my job's worth to let you go. You'll be safe with Gulli here."

Gulli's blank, hostile stare shifted to the apothecary. It didn't seem too reassuring.

"Come on then, you lot," said the first Hound. "Let's make this quick." He turned the crowd, gesturing with his spear. "Out of the way, gawpers!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-14 at 09:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya stood by quietly as Seth questioned the man, a bit surprised at how forceful he'd become. He had always been so quiet before. She stuck close to Ithelus throughout... even more so when the hounds made their arrival.

Ith... T-the captain will explain things. Right? She asked quietly as the trio prepared to move out, her mind filling with all the horrible things that the hounds might well do to them out of spite just for being elves.

She clung to Ithelus's arm nervously as they walked, giving nervous glances to the hounds every so often... as if she expected them to leap at her at any moment.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus cursed. If the Hounds were in on this, and you never knew, they could be losing a good lead.

'I don't suppose the captain's script would make this quicker?' he asks.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    The Hound looked round at Ithelus irritably.

"His what? His script?" His face took on a suspicious expression. "This some kind of trick?"
    "No, it's called writing! It means stuff!" came a mocking voice from the crowd, accompanied by a snickering ripple of laughter. The militiaman rounded on the sound with an angry glare, but it was impossible to distinguish the culprit from the sea of faces. One of them shuffled forwards - a balding man in a shabby scribe's gown. He spoke in a quiet, respectable voice.
    "I can read, officer, if you want to see if the elf's document is genuine."

Sensing he might be losing control of the situation, the Hound's attention snapped back to Ithelus.

"Well, let's see it, then," he said, doing his best to preserve his authoritative air.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Seth and Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    'Only the best for the Hounds indeed.' Says Ithelus and produces the paper, all the time not letting Pilserier out of his sight. He also puts a re-assuring hand on Illiiya's shoulder.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking the piece of paper, the militiaman glared at it as if it had insulted his mother, before handing it over to the volunteer.

Holding the certificate at arm’s length, the man began to read slowly, in a reedy voice:

“I, Captain Marius von Brucker of the Delberz City Guard, hereby affirm that the bearers of this certificate operate under the employ of the Guard, being a party of two elves and three men, of the following names...”

He read out their names.

“Then there’s his signature,” the scribe said, handing it back to the Hound.

“A fake!” said Pilserier, desperately.

The militiaman sucked his teeth.

“I don’t know about the letters, but that looks like the Captain’s seal to me.”

He knotted his brow, looking up at Ithelus.

“If this says there’s five of you, where are the other two?”

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Seth and Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    'Following up a different lead,' Said Ithelus matter of factly. He took back the script and turned to Pilserier. 'I trust we are allowed to take a walk with this man now?' He asked the guard.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-03-09 at 05:00 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    "You can't leave me with these people!" babbled Pilserier, spittle flecking at the corner of his mouth. "Can't you see they're lying?"

"Nope," said the militiaman, angrily. "All I see is an old man tryin' to waste our time. Ain't that right, Gulli?"

"Yeah," said Gulli, in a surprisingly deep voice. "That's right."

"The Captain wants to see you, the Captain wants to see you. I don't know why he din't send a proper Guard, but the letter says it's him, right?"

The scribe nodded.

"Then we're done. You try a stunt like that again, and it'll be you up 'afore the Sergeant, mister."

Muttering to himself, the militiaman pushed his way back out through the crowd, Gulli pausing to give Pilserier a two-second stare before lumbering after his companion. Sensing the theatrics were over, the crowd of onlookers began to disperse, only a couple of reluctant idlers remaining to watch the cowed Pilserier face his persecutors.

With a nervous laugh, the apothecary retreated a few steps back into the darkness of his wagon.

"I - I didn't mean it, you know. Not seriously. It's just, I'm getting old - got a bit frightened - let it get the better of me - no hard feelings?"

His words trailed off into silence.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Seth and Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus let his Elven features twist into a feral grin. 'Now you're gonna walk with us easy like. Try anything and I'll flay your skin right off your bones. Slowly.' His hand toys with the handle of his sickle as he nods towards the guardhouse. 'Close up shop, you might not be back for a while if you don't cooperate.'
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Suppressing a strangled whimper, the apothecary shuffled out of his front door, locking up the wagon behind him. All the desperate energy seemed to have gone out of him, his slumped, stooped shoulders and terrified face bearing a hang-dog air of defeat.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy... THE SPARROWHAWK!!

Spoiler
    Show

After testing the locked door, Raffy shrugs more for show to the kids than for any other reason. He continues on down the block, in the same direction he had been heading, and eventually circles back to the alley entrance where Lothar is waiting.

When Lothar says he wants to batter down the door, Raffy shakes his head. "Seems unwise. There's two of us and we don't know how many in there. We'll make a ruckus coming in and they can flee out the other door. Ithelus can..." he pauses as if not sure he should say this, but goes on, "Ith can pick the lock if we bring him here. Besides, we're supposed to take him alive, remember? Might need some help."

He says this with the ring of someone trying to convince himself. If Lothat agrees, he'll run to look for Ith and company. If Lothar pushes the plan to break in now, however, Raffy's eyes gleam with the hope of glory. He will take any excuse to rush into danger and excitement.

((tag Lothar; whatever you decide, I'm up for))

27. - Top - End - #447
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Time is short, they won't expect it- and with that great cannot you tote about, we can reduce the odds against us pretty swiftly." Lothar shrugged, grinning. "Maybe I'm on edge, but I'm tired of waiting about."

He places one foot against the door, and looks up and down the alley. "Anyway- he could get out the other door while you're huntin' down the elves..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rock and roll, LCP!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Bracing himself, Lothar delivered a solid kick to the door – the wood splintered around the rusty lock, but held. A second kick smashed it in, the warped timbers clattering back against the floor inside.

The doorway opened into a dingy, pokey kitchen – it didn’t look as if it had been cleaned in some time, but it still seemed to be in use: many of the knives and pots were dirty, and a half-eaten loaf of bread rested on the dusty table. Raffy noticed immediately that there were many more muddy footprints on the floorboards, old and new – made by several different boots, as well.

A square archway opened in the back of the right wall of the kitchen, the low timber of its crossbeam threatening to brain anyone particularly tall who passed through – through it, they could see a glimpse of a dusty corridor and the underside of a rickety-looking flight of stairs. Filtering through from somewhere out of sight was the muffled sound of voices, clearly alerted by the noise of Lothar’s entrance – they dropped into silence, followed a few seconds later by the slow squeal of a rusty hinge...

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Seth & the Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping a close eye on the apothecary, the trio escorted him back to the guardhouse – the man’s eyes were constantly flicking about, as if looking for a way to escape. The looming presence of Seth behind him seemed to keep him in line, the bent little man’s chances of outpacing the young squire seeming slim.

Reaching Judge’s Square, they approached the guard house: Pilserier looked apprehensively up at the (now slightly the worse for wear) beast-heads staked up outside, shrinking back from their dead-eyed stare.

The guard on the door recognising them, they were admitted – after about a minute, Marius entered the familiar office through a side-door, looking in puzzlement at the wilting apothecary.

“What’s this?” he asked, brusquely.

30. - Top - End - #450

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"Not precisely what we were intending to do, but the Hounds forced our hand; that's what," explained Seth resignedly. "This fellows had dealings with Puderbrand, and lied through his teeth on that and other subjects. What he really needs is some motivation to 'fess up, but when I pressed him, he cried for the hounds, and we had to show your signature to avoid getting dragged before Halbermann. A sloppy job, and my fault, but there it is.

"But we're damn close now; hell, we might be done. Puderbrand himself fled the scene minutes before we got there; Lothar and Raffy set off after him, they might have even run him down. If they don't, I'm betting this boy 'ere can give us a good idea where to wait for him.

"On top of that..." Seth continues with a gleam in his eye, "...his storefront is a big ole wagon, and we found it by following a trail of witnesses to Puderbrand and his posse moving blackpowder. That, on top of the testimony from the powder merchant in the Neumarket saying the powder musta come in from outta town, on say a wagon or somesuch, gets me to thinkin' it JUST might be time for a search warrant to get written."

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-10 at 01:48 PM.