New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Seth &c.

Spoiler
    Show
    Frowning, Lothar kept his sword on Herr Dagsen. "What is it Seth? What's wrong?" He gestured with his sword at the prisoner. "You, sit down. Raffy, check on Seth."

He muttered a curse under his breath.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy, Lothar & Seth

Spoiler
    Show
    Standing fully upright with a slight grunt, Raffy limped over to Seth.

"You look fine to me," he said, slowly. "You should have got that gash the beast gave you looked at, you know."

He grinned, fully aware of the irony of his words coming from a man in the state Puderbrand had left him.

3. - Top - End - #543

R.L.C

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar nodded. "Good. Then the pair o' you, go get the Captain, bring him here with a few solid lads to take care of this mess. An' the elves. An' see the doctor while you're at it."

He paused, and gestured to the prisoner. "Meantimes, me an' Herr Dagsen here are gonna take a look down a hole."

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar (and anyone who follows him down the ladder)

Spoiler
    Show
    Timorously leading the way down into the cellar, Dagsen stepped back from the ladder, giving Lothar space to descend. Keeping the point of his sword between himself and the pale-faced man, the soldier waited as his eyes adjusted to the enshrouding shadows of the cellar - a single lamp, burning low in one corner, provided the only illumination.

The cellar was more like a cavern - its floor had been taken up, revealing a muddy mess of clayey earth beneath. The lantern was resting on a stack of crates, some of them open - they seemed to be filled with earth, the refuse of a slanted tunnel that opened out of the far side of the cellar. About ten yards deep, it ended in a rough wall of earth - visible in places where it had been most thoroughly dug away were old, rotten-looking bricks, presumably the wall of the sewer. A couple more pickaxes and shovels rested next to it, discarded tools of the excavation.

"This is it, mister," said Dagsen, nervously. "We... he was going to break the wall down, run a fuse through to under the new Temple. Karlsen's powder weren't enough to blow it to pieces like the old one, but Henrik said it'd shatter the foundations - bring it down all the same..."

5. - Top - End - #545

Ladder Gang

Spoiler
    Show
    "I just don't get it, Herr Dagsen. You say Henrik got you in on this- he could 'sense' you, or whatever, but what exactly do you all get out of this? Aside from even more persecution, the Hounds running half the damn city- it doesn't help you at all." Lothar frowned, staring around at the muddy diggings.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I feel that I'm missing something obvious. Perception-ey-type roll, please, GM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

"No, no, I'm...I'm fine, I've...just been rushing all over the city. I've spent half my time since I found out Puderbrand was at Pilserier's wagon running between there and the carter, the guardhouse twice, and here. I just...need to move a bit slower for a while"

Seth hauls himself to his feet, and accompanies Raffy to take a walk to the Guardhouse.

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-03-24 at 07:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "I can't tell you," croaked Dagsen. "If I do..."

"Look, I don't mean no harm. I've told you everything I can. He made me do it! If you let me go, I'll get out of this town and never come back. On my mother's grave, I swear."

Results of Perception Test:

Spoiler
    Show
    The cellar is pretty bare, apart from the apparatus of excavation - you can't see anything peculiar.

However, Dagsen's clearly rather craven, and not the best liar in town. You get the feeling that if he's not outright lying, he's at least lying by omission.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-24 at 07:09 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "C'mon, Rudolf- I'm not buyin' it. The story reeks like fish left out for a week, and half the head is missing." Lothar backed against the ladder and glared at the twitching man. "I've been plenty nice. I lost a lot of friends in the War, so I'll soon stop."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-03-24 at 07:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagsen backed up towards the tunnel, shaking his head.

"Please... just let me go," he whimpered. "I can't tell you anything else. You don't understand... I can't tell you."

10. - Top - End - #550

Lothar

OOC Note: Somewhat grim.

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, you don't understand, mutant." Lothar's face had closed up, and his voice came out tight and hard. "You an' those things we butchered up there looked to destroy good works, kill more innocents. I get the impression you lot helped distract us -us humans- during the War. I lost friends in that war. Family. Almost lost m'self."

He advanced on the snivelling Rudolf, sword in hand.

"You are going to tell me everything, little man. Or I'll start slicing off the parts of you which annoy me. Starting with your toes, an' workin' up."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Backing up further, Rudolf gave a nervous laugh.

"You think... that's supposed to scare me? With what your lot will do to me if I confess?" He managed a wavering sneer. "Henrik was right. It's survival. Us or them..."

His hand reached behind him - Lothar realised the man was backing towards one of the pickaxes that had been left behind.

"I wasn't born to burn, mister..."

12. - Top - End - #552

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yeah, that's true. 'Cept that's only if you confess to a priest. I'm not a priest- I don't give absolution but I got a damn fine sword right here. I could give you a cleaner death. Hell, maybe they'll lock you up for a bit first, ask you some other questions."

The soldier shrugged, but had stopped advancing. "Or I could beat you to a pulp like I did your mates, then start cutting bits of you off. In the end, you burn -all the pieces of ya- and your heretic gods probably think you betrayed 'em anyway and you suffer whatever they've got in store anyway."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-03-24 at 07:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Rudolf stopped where he was, his hand still held out behind him. He was perhaps two feet away from the pickaxe.

"What do you want to hear?" he asked, quietly. A strange calm seemed to have fallen across his features. "I mean... know. What do you want to know."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-24 at 07:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus sits down on the lip of the wagon, watching the people go about their business. He sighs as he plays his dice between his fingers. He looks around to see if there are any stalls that seem un-manned.
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    By now it was mid-afternoon: there was no stall left untended, as the Neumarket was at its busiest. Hundreds of people flowed back and forth around the wagon, the noise of their voices and the smells and sights of their varied wares filling the air.

A different noise reached his ears: looking down, he saw the cat from Helstrum's Ward looking up at him. It had clearly grown tired of the Carter's Rest, and was now sitting by the side of the wagon, watching Ithelus and Illiiya with patient, expectant eyes.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    With an amused chuckle Ithelus extended an arm to the cat, inviting it to come closer.
    Sigatar by Me

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Leaping up onto the wagon's front with a fluid bound, the cat sat next to Ithelus, still staring up at him with the patient regard of a customer waiting to be served.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus strokes the cat's head and scratches it behind the ears, 'If you want food you'll have to ask her' he says indicating towards Illiiya.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Cocking its head at Ithelus, the cat seemed to catch his gesture towards Illiiya - turning towards her, it gave an inquiring meow.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-24 at 05:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar paused, hesitating. "Uh. That's- better. Well, let's start with what's in it for you. Who else is in your hierarchy, divine or not." The soldier's sword stayed levelled, but the owner's body language was much less confident- Rudolf's sudden change clearly disconcerted him.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Henrik told us what to do. When we were working on the old job... the old Temple, he used to get instructions from someone else, though. He'd go to the apothecary's wagon in the Neumarket, like he was picking up some medicine, and it would be waiting for him there - sometimes money, too. He never said their names, but he called them the Court."

22. - Top - End - #562

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "What else'd he say about 'em? Whaddya know about this apothecary?"

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Pilserier, he's called. He has a big travelling shop in a wagon, parks it up in the Neumarket. I think he does the rounds of a few of the smaller villages in it when business dries up in Delberz. The Court knew him somehow, and they paid him to be a middle-man. Maybe they didn't want Henrik knowing too much about them."

24. - Top - End - #564

Conversation

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar ran a hand over his beard. It needed trimming. One o' the others said this apothecary chap was askin' after beasts- could he be making trips out to mutant herds as well as villages? This was the court is? Maybe not just corruption within...

"Hmph. Guess we'll have to look into him. You ever eavesdrop on Henrik, get anything he didn't talk openly about?

An' don't think I don't realise you haven't said what's in it for you yet. I still can't get that figured."

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Rudolf shook his head. "Henrik was closer with us than with the apothecary. After they started building the Cathedral, he seemed to fall out with 'em. Pilserier was telling him they wanted him to stop."

The nervous laugh came again.

"That's us, see? The Chosen Men. Henrik found us because we were like him. I never did nothing wrong, I said my prayers, I did my job... then one day, bang, my life was over. I hade to hide from my own friends, my own wife... because all the forces of righteousness would hunt me down an' burn me if I didn't. Henrik showed us there was Someone who would take us for what we were. The changes were the sign of His favour, and He'd help us bring 'em down who'd hunt us. Scum like the Church, with their fire and their sword, ruining honest peoples' lives who never did them a moment's harm - bring 'em all down."

A mask seemed to have fallen from Dagsen's face, the man speaking with something approaching real conviction now.

"After the old temple went up, Henrik, he changed more - and that was a sign, a sign that he was the leader. The Court didn't like that, so they tried to stop him. But we were damned if we were going to let them build it up again, after we shed our blood and sweat to bring it down!"

"And now... now I'm thinking, you're not talking like a Hound. You're not a Guard. Maybe they sent you, when they realised they couldn't talk him out. Henrik thought he'd worked out who was their chief, even with all those lies in the way. Maybe they didn't want him telling. I know they had money. How much you being paid?"

Rudolf took another step back. His hand was now inches from the pickaxe haft.

26. - Top - End - #566

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar shook his head. "More'n you got, little man, you or your little coven. But we aren't Hounds, or Guards either. Freelancers. Lookin' in to this bustling trade in 'powder you've got."

Lothar's posture changed, straightening. "I see what you're going for there, Herr Dagsen. Hold it. And tell me who walked when the Court asked you too. I bet someone did."

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagsen held where he was. His hand didn't move.

"Who'd you think would walk?" he asked, the nervous giggle coming into his voice again. "Where did they have to go? Out there? They'd be burned alive, soon as look at them. We were safe here. That's how Henrik pulled us in. He found out our secrets."

28. - Top - End - #568

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Maybe they walked to the leader, eh? Who is it? Tell me, Herr Dagsen, and I swear on my mother's grave I'll let you walk out of here."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Lothar's mother is alive and well.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagsen shook his head.

"No-one walked. No-one would've dared. And if I knew who the Court were... well, I reckon I'd already be dead."

30. - Top - End - #570

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "There anything else you feel you oughta tell me, Rudy?"

Damn, I've no skill for this. I'm a soldier, not an inquisitor.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Lie-detection test please. However that works.