New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Seth turns to Raffy and says, "Alright, that's enough excitement for one day. Let's get that leg looked at, then straight to bed. You're not staying in that damned cellar, are you? You need a real bed tonight, no excuses..." Seth starts to urge Raffy back out, bound for Dr. Rasen.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar nods to Seth. "Aye, that's a plan." He turns to the elves, offering a hand to Ithelus. "Here, Ith- you alright, lad? It's a hard thing, mutation. You should thank the gods your people are immune." His eyes flick up to Illiiya, concern tightening his eyes. "Illiiya?"

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Gesturing to his guard to get to work, Captain von Brucker took a last look at Puderbrand’s corpse and left, shaking his head. Illiiya remained where she was, staring blankly at the dead mutants.

“His hand...”
    “Well, he won’t be doing any more mischief with it now,” said Lothar, a little disconcerted by the elf’s thousand-yard stare. “Come on. The Guard’ve got this in hand – let’s get Raffy to the doctor.”
    “...like the Dancers before the Throne...”
    “Going!”

Illiiya allowed herself to be guided out of the door, a pale-faced Ithelus going with them. The broken-down entryway still gaping like a black mouth in the gloomy alleyway, they left the charnel-house of Puderbrand’s plot behind them...

[hr]

“You fellows have a knack for timing,” said Doctor Rasen, opening the door. “I’ve just got back from – Shallya’s breath, what happened to him?”

Letting the party inside, he closed the door behind them, ushering through to the room they had seen before. Seth looked around at the surgical implements and the scarred operating-table with some trepidation as Raffy was made to sit on it – the whole room was kept meticulously clean, but there were some dark stains on the oak boards that evidently would not come out...

“I suppose Marius sent you again,” Rasen said with a slightly weary air, rummaging noisily in a drawer of instruments. Seemingly losing track of what he was looking for, he returned to peer at the wound in Raffy’s leg.

“A reasonably clean wound. You’re lucky to be alive, sir. An inch to the left and it would have struck the profunda femoris artery.”

Straightening up, he raised an eyebrow at the group.

“I don’t suppose you’ll tell me where you picked these ones up? More Beastmen?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-30 at 02:20 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #604

Lothar shrugged. "Someone tried to mug Raffy here. Me, I got knifed when I jumped in." He grinned and started packing his pipe. "Guess people are gettin' desperate, jumping a man with a soldier for a mate."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-03-30 at 03:40 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

“Hm.” Dr Rasen didn’t seem very convinced, but he said nothing more. Giving Raffy a glass of brandy, he patched the young man up as best he could, and turned his attentions to the others. Lothar’s wound required only a proper bandage, while the doctor tutted over Seth’s injuries.

“You’ve been walking around on these,” he said, disapprovingly. Looking up, he examined Seth’s face. “I don’t think we’ve met before. I suppose you picked these up in the same scrape that brought your friends here the other day.”
    Seth nodded – going to work, the doctor shook his head.
    “Wounds like that’ll get infected, if you’re not careful. It looks like you’ve been lucky this time, but in future, you should get them treated immediately. Better a few stitches than a wound turning rotten, any day – especially with the conditions in the lower town.”

His work done, he cleaned his instruments, busily tidying the room back to its initial state.

“I hate to sound mercenary, but I assume you can pay? I have to keep my practice afloat, especially with that rogue Pilserier touting his nostrums over good medicine in the Neumarket...”

OOC: Seth, Lothar & Raffy regain half the wounds they've lost, rounding down.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-30 at 04:27 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #606

BardGuy

Seth's restraint cracks, and he lets out a muffled snort of laughter. In response to the no-doubt confused look from Dr. Rasen, Seth proceeds to explain. "Um, yes...about that friend of yours. Adolphus, right? Tell me, what do you know about him, aside from the dubiousness of his cures? Your testimony could be useful in his upcoming criminal trial." As he says this, he pulls *an appropriate amount of coin for his treatment* from his purse and lays it on the table.

7. - Top - End - #607

Lothar's teeth shine -as much as any commoner's teeth in the Empire shine- as he grins broadly. "Aye, he's goin' down." He pats his pouches, looking for his tinderbox to light the newly-filled pipe.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Rasen's eyes brightened.

"Pilserier on trial? What for?"

Tidying the last few things away, he leaned on a chest of drawers, several emotions seeming to fight for space on his face.

"I can't say I'm sorry for him. He's a quack, and a charlatan." He sniffed, rather haughtily. "Plays off the peasants' superstitions, selling them herbs and folk remedies that are as likely to kill as to cure - that's if they do anything at all. I've had to treat people who've gone to him first more than once, and they wouldn't have needed me if they hadn't taken his 'treatment'." His face darkened. "He's been doing a roaring trade since the refugees from the invasion started coming in. If you're living on the Fields, a pregnancy seems like a death sentence. I'd always hoped the Church would come down on him, considering how much he hams up his hocus-pocus, but the man's as slippery as a greased eel. Did they finally catch him on something, then?"

OOC: Remember Marius gave you money to pay the doctor.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-03-30 at 08:55 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #609

BardGuy

"Eh...you might say that" Seth's features screwed up thoughtfully. "If you don't know anything about it, then that's that, and best say no more, but...suffice to say, he was mixed up in something a lot nastier than bilking peasants."

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

"Nastier? How so?"

Rasen examined Seth with a quizzical eye.

"You don't mean to say he was... dabbling, do you? I mean, in things best left... un-dabbled with. I always thought his little taxidermy shop of horrors and such was just for show, but you never know what a man can pick up from hedge lore in these parts..."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #611

BardGuy

"To tell the honest truth, part of why I don't say more is because we don't know more-yet." Seth replied, trying to back off the topic. "Right now, all we have for sure on him is unsavory associates." Seth hopped down. "I don't mean to be rude, but it isn't good form to go spreading conjecture before a trial. I beg your pardon."

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

To clarify the past...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya grew more and more nervous as they neared the building in which Lothar awaited. Blood was in the air. Blood and death. No sooner had she entered the place than she knew why.

The moment she saw the mutants, Illiiya went pale... giving a shrill scream and backing out of the place. She moved away from the building and curled up in a ball, covering her ears as if to shut out the world around her.

No no no no no no. She muttered, No more. No more. Not again. It hurts.

She refused to return to the home, flinching from contact and taking several moments to calm down. It took a few minutes of gentle prodding from Ithelus before she would move. She refused to go near the bodies again, just clinging to him tightly and muttering softly to herself.

At the doctor's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya calmed down along the way, once they were far, far away from the bodies of the mutants. She was still shaking when they arrived at the doctor's office, and shied away from him as he treated the men and spoke. The man made her nervous. She held Ithelus' hand tight as they spoke. She was certainly not about to draw the crow-man's attention.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

"No, no, perfectly right," said Rasen, looking a little disappointed nonetheless. "Still... Pilserier on trial. It's probably impious of me to take pleasure in another man's misfortune, but I can honestly say you've made my day."

He took the Captain's money gratefully.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #614

Lothar took a drag on his pipe before replying, in a cloud of smoke. "How's the...illness... coming? It makes me nervous..." He fingered the crossed symbols on his belt absently.
    Games:

=

=

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

"Not as bad as I'd feared, as a matter of fact," said Rasen, seemingly surprised at the soldier's interest. "It doesn't seem to be spreading far - confined mostly to where it started in Helstrum's Ward. I believe it may be due to some lingering miasma there. The squalor in that neighbourhood is particularly acute."

His face fell.

"Not that that is much consolation for those poor souls afflicted with it, though. Two died today."

Behind Illiiya, the cat chose that moment to begin scratching itself vigorously. Noticing it, Rasen frowned.

"Would you mind taking that outside? I'd rather not have any fleas in here."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-01 at 06:38 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy seems to get more energetic once the elves bring the cat around. He likes animals, never been sure why but he always has.

He accepts the treatment from Dr. Rasen an d stays out of the conversation for the most part, thinking mostly about how long it will take him to be back in prime fighting shape.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus picks up the cat, 'Come on Illiiya, let's go play with him outside.' He nods his head to the doctor and the rest of the group as he leaves.
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

The cat followed Ithelus out onto the street, its eyes still lifted to the elves in the patient expectation of food.

"Thank you," said Doctor Rasen to his remaining patients. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-03 at 05:51 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus chuckles, 'Just sticking with us for the food eh?' He gives a scratch behind the ears. 'We'll have to get you some in a bit,'
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #620

Lothar scratched at his beard idly. "Uh, no, thank you. We're bound to see you soon, given our profession. Me, I'm after a beer or... six."
    Games:

=

=

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya tagged along after Ithelus, seeming happy to away from the doctor's office. She scratched her newfound pet's head with one hand and nodded at the idea to purchase it a bit more food. The small animal really seemed to comfort her.

Where are we staying tonight? Do we still need to stay apart? She asked with poorly concealed worry, I don't like it here anymore. Sickness and mutants and... and all those... things. I can hear them laughing sometimes. I think it's going to get worse. I'm... scared.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

'I'm sure we don't need to. We'll have a chat with the others when they are done with the doctor'
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving the doctor’s surgery with a polite farewell, the party made their way back to their various lodgings: Ithelus repaired with Lothar to the Crow, where he found the gambling circle of the night before. More willing to accept the elf among their number this time, they swiftly resumed their old habits: a decision they swiftly regretted, as Ithelus left the table eight gold crowns the richer. Lothar, meanwhile, had found some ladies of extremely negotiable virtue, and was spending the last worldly possessions of Henrik Puderbrand with a will.

In the cellar on Faulkes street, Illiiya tried to insulate herself against the subterranean cold, knowing full well that the air would be stiflingly hot and stale once again come the morning. As she drifted off to sleep, she tried to blot out the occasional scrabbling of tiny feet from above – the human’s cellar might be rat-proof, but his house was certainly not.

Night fell, and another day in Delberz died away into the dark.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-05 at 05:11 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter III
    The Wages of Heresy

Morning broke over Delberz, pale and cold. Rising from their various lodging-places, the members of the party made their way towards Judge's Square, navigating by the soaring landmark of the Cathedral spire as the rosy dawn-light crept up its stone sides.

On being told the Captain was expecting them, the guard on the door let them pass – entering the Guard House, they made their way to von Brucker’s now-familiar office.

Someone else was already there. As they opened the door, Marius looked up at them with a face that seemed to carry a hidden warning – the man seated on the other side of the desk looked languidly round at them, surveying them with steady, piercing eyes.

He was a tall man, age beginning to render his long limbs on the bony side – wearing a black ecclesiastical gown of clearly superior craftsmanship, he had the air of a man used to authority. His long, patrician face, grey, swept-back hair and aquiline nose reinforced the impression of noble birth.

“Lector von Kemperbad,” said Marius, cautiously, “allow me to introduce...” – but the Lector’s eyes had already found the elves.

“Ah,” he said – his voice a deep, smooth drawl. “Your intrepid band, no doubt, captain?” Marius tried to suppress a frown. Not seeming to notice it, von Kemperbad nodded to the party.
    “Your reputation precedes you. I believe the Church owes you gentlemen a very great debt.”
    “And lady,” added Marius.
    “Quite,” added von Kemperbad, a shade reluctantly.
    “I was just telling the Lector about your discovery,” said Marius, quietly.
    “Sigmar smiles upon us, that this ‘Puderbrand’ was stopped before he could repeat his crimes,” said von Kemperbad, gravely. “Corruption without flows from corruption within. What further depraved acts he might have committed if left to his own devices, I shudder to think.”
    “As I was asking, your Eminence,” said Marius, “what does this mean for the Hounds? Their remit, as I understand it –“
    “Their remit, captain, is the excision of heresy and chaos-worship from this town, root and branch. One twig, I’m afraid, will not do.”
    “We have a confession from one of the mutants. It was them who destroyed the old temple, them that were plotting to destroy the Cathedral –“
    “And yet these mutants were of peasant stock. It is hardly believable that they could gather the funds to amass such a store of blackpowder themselves. And the beastmen in the forest, attacking the stone shipments, to hurt the same target - Sigmar’s temple. The one symbol of our Empire such degenerates hate most. Are we to believe these are unconnected coincidences?” Von Kemperbad shook his head, his voice remaining calm. “There is a deeper corruption at work here, one that worms its way into the heart of our city. The Church cannot rest until it has been rooted out.”
    Marius became a little impassioned.
    “Then let us investigate. Halbermann’s men do nothing but trawl the lower town. If you want Puderbrand’s paymaster found, we need to ask questions among the rich, not break down pauper’s doors.”
    The Lector paused, regarding Marius carefully. Seth couldn’t help but get the impression that the Captain might have stepped out over thin ice.

At length, the priest replied.
    “Your aspersions against Sergeant Halbermann aside, I believe you are correct – a more skilled hand is certainly called for. Your courageous actions –“ – he turned momentarily to the party “- have shown us how deep the taint runs.”

“However, I’m afraid you may be mistaken about the effectiveness of the Sergeant’s methods. Perhaps you have not heard.” A very skilled observer might have imagined a tiny note of triumph in the Lector’s voice. “Two men were found by the Hounds this very morning – in separate buildings, on separate streets – hideously murdered. Their windows were shuttered, their doors were locked. No man could have passed in or out of their rooms before the doors were broken down, and yet no trace of the killer remained behind. The unmistakeable mark of sorcery.”

Rising to his feet, he inclined his head civilly towards the Captain.

“That is why I have sent word to a friend of mine – an old servant of the Church, and an expert in these matters. I believe he is passing close to here. The Hounds will remain, to be placed in his service in pursuit of the witches and heretics orchestrating these atrocities.” The slightest of smiles crossed the Lector’s face. “I hear you have a witness detained here relating to the mutant saboteurs. No doubt Aldric will wish to interrogate this man himself when he arrives.”

Turning to leave, he seemed to notice the party again.

“I believe the Baron is holding a reception at the castle this evening, to celebrate the salvation of our cathedral. You are all cordially invited – as guests of the Church.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-05 at 04:46 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #625

Lothar staggered from his bed that morning, icy of breath and with dwarven smiths between his temples. The journey to von Brucker's office was -for him- conducted in silence only broken by imprecations against nine gods and the occasional fisherman's curse. Something about cod, and norsemen's mothers.

He stiffened on seeing the Lector, a soldier's instinct telling him when to keep his bearded mouth shut and stand to something resembling attention. The archpriest's speech concluded, he seemed to relax slightly, glancing to the door- only to start and stare with round eyes at the invitation to the Baron's manse. Lothar widened his eyes at Seth, silently (and, he hoped, subtly) urging the higher-born man to do the speaking.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-04-05 at 08:52 AM.
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus woke from another night of sleeping on hard packed soil. With a groan he awoke and twisted his body into odd angles, sighing as he stretched. As he got up he counted eight gold crowns into a separate purse that he tucked into his belt.

He followed the group to the guard house, and sauntered in, about to greet the captain when he noticed the other man in the room. Despite his urge to make numerous snide comments he took the others cue and kept his mouth shut.
    Sigatar by Me

27. - Top - End - #627

BardGuy

Seth awoke feeling refreshed-his wounds, for the first time in days, not aching, and the ache in his legs dull and vaguely euphoric. Determined to be optimistic, he made his way to the guardhouse, fully expecting Marius to tell him that Pilserier had confessed, the Hounds had disbanded, and to collect his reward and be on his way-where to next, he wondered.

...As the Lector spoke, Seth felt a headache weighing heavier and heavier on his mind, and he started to feel as if he were falling and spinning. Lo! and behold, how the righteous man clings to his martial power-Seth suddenly realized he was gritting his teeth and stopped abruptly, brightening his face instantly to one of innocent attention, hoping his dour expression had not been noticed.

Seth bowed deeply, allowing his jaw to tense in anger while it was out of sight, before returning to a bright smile a moment later. "You honor us, dear sir," he said, gesturing broadly. "T'was our pleasure to be of assistance-I look forward to meeting the people responsible for orchestrating such a grand work with eager anticipation."
    Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-04-05 at 01:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

The Lector gave a slight smile.

“As they look forward to meeting you, I’m sure.”

Making a beneficent gesture towards the party, he left them with the Captain.

Watching him go, Marius closed his eyes and breathed out. Turning to Seth, he opened them again, looking more weary than ever.

“Well, there you have it. It appears as soon as this ‘Aldric’ arrives, he’ll be taking Mr Pilserier off our hands.” He looked from face to face. “And it seems we have two new murders to handle, too,” he said, his tone falling almost to a mumble.

Looking briefly down at his hands, he straightened up in his seat, surveying the party with an authoritative air.

“I believe my father intends to bestow some kind of reward on you for the mutant’s death – that would be the reason the Lector invited you. To make a show.” There was a slight hint of distaste in the captain’s voice. “However, as you can see, we’re not done here by a long shot. If we’re to do anything but hand this whole business to the Hounds on the silver platter, we have to get to the bottom of it.”

“I wish to retain your services, for as long as it takes to find out who was behind Puderbrand and why – you’ll be paid the same money, as promised. If these killings are the work of a sorcerer, I’ll bet the Emperor’s state barge they’re connected to this business.” He looked from Seth to Ithelus. “I’ll need you to examine the bodies yourselves, as soon as you can. They sound too perfect an excuse for the Hounds to be true.”

He nodded towards a side door.

“In the meantime, our guest has had the night to calm down. I thought I would wait for you to begin questioning him, since you fellows are most conversant with the facts of the case – but since we have no idea when this friend of the Lector’s will arrive, I’d suggest we make a start.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-05 at 04:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #629

"Agreed, Captain. When -uh- when is the friend of the Lector supposed to be arriving? What is our deadline?" Lothar paused, rubbing at his temples. "Um. Something else was- oh, aye. How did the Hounds know to break in the doors of those murdered folk? No signs of entry, nuthin', and they just happened to get the right um -doors?"
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

"Both good questions - but you know as much as I do. I hadn't heard of either of these things until the Lector mentioned them just now."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb