New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy gives a half-nod like "sort of."

"We've met, Sir. I never really got to know her till last night. She seemed really interested in showing me off to her friends, Sir. No offence meant to her. It was the scar that impressed them. I gather none of them have seen a real mutant before - they're clueless, Sir."

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun seemed to be listening closely.

"What is your opinion of her?" he asked. "Lector von Kemperbad believes she is..." - he seemed to be remembering something verbatim - "a 'fallen woman'. Would you agree with that analysis?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

"Hmm... I don't really know her that well, Sir. I'd hate to give you false information. I can tell you she didn't seem to be loose in her morals with the men present, very proper. Some of the gentry spoke of how much charity she gives to the poor."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hm. Is that so," said Jagrun, making a note of something. Seemingly satisfied with Raffy's answer, he changed tack.

"Perhaps you have noticed the singular emphasis of these crimes on attacking the Temple of Sigmar. The destruction of the old temple, the repeated attempt on the cathedral... the beastmen attacking the shipment of stone for its construction. In the course of your investigations, have you encountered anyone you might suspect to have resented the rebuilding?" He paused. "Anyone who has expressed... hostility towards the works of the Church?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-30 at 02:12 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to act at the same time nonchalant and businesslike, Pieter walked towards the steps to take a closer look.

"Morning," he greeted the sentry in a suitably gloomy tone. "When was this one found?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

"We suspected the other clergy, Sir. I mean from the other temples. But they all seem very friendly toward Sigmarites. Some might feel a bit upstaged, as they should, but we couldn't find one witness to any of them disparaging the true religion in any way, Sir."

He ponders. "Sir, I believe it's bigger than Delberz, Sir. We were hoping to take Pilserier's wagon for a spin through his usual country circuit and see if any of his associates approach us, Sir. If we can get an early enough start yet, Sir."

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The sentry looked up at Pieter with a slow stare.

"Hal there spotted her at sunup," he said, pointing at one of the Hounds standing guard over the shrouded body. "Just lyin' by the riverside." He blinked at Pieter. "Don't think I know you. Sergeant send you?"

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hm. An interesting plan." Jagrun turned over a sheet of parchment, seemingly oblivious to Raffy's hint. "Please let me know if you find anything."

Locating a small, folded piece of paper, he turned back to the Sparrowhawk.

"I'm going to show you a symbol. It was found painted onto the skin of the fourth victim last night, in his own blood. Only look at it as briefly as possible."

He handed over the piece of paper.

Folded Inside:
    Spoiler
    Show

Once Raffy had had a glimpse, the Templar took it back, folding the strange rune away.

"Have you seen this, or anything like this, anywhere in your investigations?" he asked, gravely. "Around the mutants in particular."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I'm forgetful. Have we? Also, to whatever extent Raffy may have been informed about the circumstances of Lily's death, was that symbol involved?

IC, I'll answer truthfully, so you can put a yes or a no in Raffy's mouth, and if there is a connecion to Lily, he will tell Jagrun that too.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "No," said Raffy, uncertainly. "I don't think so."

"Very well," said the Witch Hunter, putting the piece of paper away somewhere out of sight. "One last question - you have been looking for these heretics for some days now, I understand? On the orders of Captain von Brucker, as you said." He met Raffy's eyes, his voice sincere and level. "Is there anyone still at large who has given you cause to suspect, for any reason, that they might be connected with these crimes, or in league with the Ruinous Powers?" He sat back in his chair. "I don't ask you to justify your suspicions. Is there anything your instincts have told you, in your time in Delberz - that is what I want to know."

OOC: It's not come up until now in this thread, and Lily's death had nothing so neat and structured as that symbol - simply a torn-out throat.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-30 at 02:40 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

((Is the carter still at large? If so I tell him about that guy. In addition I say...))

"Well, uh, Sir, here's what gets me. These mutants had support from someone strong. Money, materials, official orders coming through Pilserier... they were part of a network. So they blow up the old church. Suddenly their network vanishes. Puderbrand ran out of money, that rat companion of his said their Court stopped helping them, and so forth. If their network wanted them to smash the church of Sigmar, Sir, then why not strike again when the new Cathedral was started? Obviously Puderbrand's crew had a plan and enough manpower. If they'd been given aid again they probably would've succeeded before Lothar and I got there to cut them down...

"Sir, I'm suggesting the real motive was not a hatred of the church or a love of Chaos. Someone had a different motive, and dropped the mutants as soon as it was accomplished, Sir. Is there anyone in town who benefited from the destruction of the old church?"

He lets the question hang there. If (and only if) Jagrun asks whether he's speaking of the Lector he looks surprised and says, "No Sir, I didn't mean that! Please tell me there's no black magic strong enough to seize the mind of our annointed priests! Sir, surely you must have other suspects before we would dare to accuse the very Church?"

He does his best to look truly horrified.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there anyone in town who benefited from the destruction of the old church?"
    "That is certainly something I intend to find out," said Jagrun. He seemed to consider Raffy's words carefully. "However, it is my unfortunate duty to be familiar with the ways of the enemy - and as such, I'm afraid I am bound to disagree with you."

He sat straighter. "The symbol I showed you is the characteristic rune of one of the four Ruinous Powers. That murder was committed with a sharp knife, but the killer wished us to know where their loyalties lie. The other murders, for the most part, were committed behind locked doors, under the eyes of multiple witnesses, with no traces of the means of destruction save the sudden screams of the victims. I have visited the scenes of those crimes, and I am satisfied that they could only have been achieved through sorcery."

"Perhaps you may be correct - perhaps whoever is doing this did not set out as a pawn of Chaos. But I assure you, none who dabble in such things remain untainted for long. Sooner or later, it claims their minds, and they become its slaves." He paused. "I have seen it too many times before. Even the noblest of intentions can be subverted by the Enemy into the most grotesque of insanities." There seemed to be a hidden significance weighing on those last words.

"I will not detain you much longer - I believe there is only one more of your friends who I must speak to." He gestured to another door, leading out of the chamber in the other direction from the way Raffy had entered. "If you would wait through there, she will be with you shortly."

Beyond the door he indicated, there was another low-ceilinged stone room - Lothar and Ithelus were sitting there in silence, looking up as he entered. The door was closed behind him, cutting out all sound from the room he had just left - and leaving nothing to do but wait as Illiiya took her turn.

OOC: The carter's name was Friedrich Hoffer. Jagrun informed you that he was poisoned in the cells along with Pilserier after being taken in.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-30 at 03:23 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

"Thank you, Sir. I wish you good luck and Sigmar's justice, Sir."

He goes through and waits with the others.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate nodded slowly.

"Name's Felix. I'm back from that other body, near the Graf's Arms. A soldier, forgot his name. All torn up, the face and belly ripped to shreds... Horrible. Never seen anything like that before."

He dug into his pouch for his bottle of brandy and took a swig.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Another one? Sigmar save us," muttered the Hound. "That makes eight, if you count the poor bugger with his throat slit last night."

He lit his pipe.

"The Templars are here now, though. These sorcerers'll get a taste of their own medicine before Mister Jagrun's done."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll drink to that," said Pieter with a brief nod. "Now I'll take a quick look at this one," he said, pointing his thumb at the covered body.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Go right ahead," said the sentry, gesturing towards the covered corpse. "I wouldn't if I was you, though, not if I didn't have to. It's something 'orrible to see."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-30 at 04:39 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Horrible," agreed Pieter, "and that's why we must get the job done. Stand strong and keep faith, brother."

He walked down the stairs towards the corpse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless the Hounds stop me, I will take a quick look under the travelling cloak without removing it fully.

I presume I have another WP test to roll. Do I at least get a bonus for being a bit more prepared for what I'm going to find?

WP 30: (1d100)[69]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The corpse was just recognisable as that of a woman - clad in little more than rags, it bore the same horrid wounds as the body of Mr Fendahl. She had died curled up, as if trying to shield her head with her arms - though she had failed, her arms and legs were covered with shallow scratches, just barely visible beneath the blood that had poured from the gaping wounds in her throat and abdomen.

The Hounds standing guard looked at him askance as he examined the body, expressions of discomfort on their pale faces.

"Put that back, mate," said one of them softly, doing his best not to look down. "We've seen enough of that for one morning, eh?"

OOC: You don't gain Insanity Points for repeat exposure once you've seen one of these bodies. No WP roll necessary.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Put that back, mate," said one of them softly, doing his best not to look down. "We've seen enough of that for one morning, eh?"

Pieter nodded somberly.
    "And we'll see even more of that if we don't find the culprits soon." He grimaced. "When are we to take the body away?"

He was curious to learn what they did with the bodies. Did they just bury them, or take them to another place for examination?

His gaze scanned the bank with attention. It was muddy; perhaps there were footprints that could lead him to the assailant? Unless the Hounds were blind, he strongly doubted such an obvious clue would have gone unnoticed, but he looked for it all the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is that Perception or Search?

Perception at Int47, Search at Int23:
    (1d100)[54]

Edit: Now that I think about it, do Search tests have to be rolled in secret by the GM?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-04-30 at 08:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The riverbank was nothing but a short, slanting breadth of mud - aside from a few puddles where a red tinge still lingered near the body, the river and the rain would swiftly have washed away anything resembling a clue.

"We've got to keep it here 'till the Templar can see it for himself," said one the Hounds on duty. "You know that."

OOC: That would be Perception. Such things should really be secret rolls, but I don't mind too much about you rolling the odd test when you take the initiative in calling it yourself.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course I know," he nodded. "Just wondering when Herr Jagrun is going to come, but I s'pose he has his hands full today..."

To discourage further conversation and difficult questions, he walked some distance away and pretended to be watching the street intently. It did not take him too much effort to look as sullen as the other Hounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "No-one said you had done anything wrong," said Jagrun, impassively. "However, I will make a note of your claim."

There was an awkward silence as the quill scratched on the parchment. Illiiya could see the letters being traced out, upside-down from her point of view.

Done - nothing - wrong.

Not - hurting - anyone.

Finishing, Jagrun looked back up at her.

"If you'll excuse me, however - your place of birth? I think you forgot."
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh... u-um... I don't... know it. She muttered softly, not certain he would believe her story, Ithelus... found me. In a town down by... um... N-nuln, I think? H-he'd know it's name. I... I don't want to... to talk about that. Please? It hurt.... It hurt everywhere. It hurt inside me, and everyone there was dead. I could.... everywhere... all f-fire.... Oh gods, don't make me go back!

Her voice grew more and more desperate and pleading as she spoke, until she was literally tearing up and begging him not to make her remember.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-05-02 at 02:06 AM.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    If ever there had been a man more unmoved by such a display, Illiiya had not met him. Jagrun merely raised an eyebrow.

"A town by Nuln? What was the name of the town? How old were you at the time?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus

As Halbermann makes his gesture Ithelus smiles and makes his own, tapping the sickle at his side and then his ear. Just before he enters he gives Illiiya a re-assuring squeeze on the arm, 'You'll be fine'

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus appears to give a mask of calm as he regards the Witch Hunter but inside he was terrified, for himself but also for Illiiya's sake.

'Ithelus, traveller, and I'm sorry but I don't know where I was born, sir.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-05-02 at 05:12 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun looked up from his notes, one eyebrow raised quizzically.

"You don't know?" he said. "How did that come to be?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Well, sir, I was born to a traveling circus troupe, and I never really asked just where the troupe were when it happened, for all I know it could have been in the middle of some forest track.'
    Sigatar by Me

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah. I see."

Making a note, the Witch Hunter nodded to himself before looking back up at Ithelus.

"Now, if you would be so good as to give me your account of the discovery of the mutant Puderbrand," he said, quill poised. "Please omit nothing."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus nodded, 'well you see sir, I was not around when the mutant was discovered, I was with the captain and the doctor. But if you mean the bigger story well, I was hired to guard a shipment of stone for the new cathedral. Once we got here the Captain mentioned what had happened and enlisted our help in trying to find the people who did it. We all followed up various leads, most of which proved to be dead ends but we always got fleeting mentions of a man with a burned face. Puderbrand. Despite the efforts of the Hounds we finally managed to get solid lead about a man called Pilser, someone who was mentioned to us fairly early on in the investigation. Well, Lothar and Raffy chased after Puderbrand, who had been consulting with the Doctor, whilst the rest of us tried to convince the Hounds to let us arrest Pilser.

As for who we talked to, I think the first was Doctor Rasen - he flagged up Pilser as a possible lead. Then we took at number 36 Faulkes street, which was a dead end. I do believe after that we talked to the late mister Dort, before he was hanged of course but the man again gave no leads. Although he pointed me to his rival, Kleiner. Again he didn't tell me anything we didn't already know. We had heard a few things about this Society of Free Men, but once we infiltrated the group, by staging an argument and confrontation, they turned out to be nothing but rich men who love to talk. Again no leads.

Well so far the only consistent things we had discovered is about a man with a burn on his face and what a hindrance the Hounds were. Then we got to Pilser sir, you'll have to ask the others about any leads they investigated.'
    Sigatar by Me

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Jagrun listened closely to Ithelus' account.

"The Society of Free Men? An interesting name," said the Witch Hunter. "What did they 'love to talk' about?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-05-02 at 01:29 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    I d-don't... know. She'll confess, I don't remember... much of anything b-before he found me. Just that it hurt. It hurt so much.

She took a moment to try and calm herself, not wanting to break into total hysterics in front of the callous-seeming man.

The t-town was... um.. Garv... Gavin? Gavinburough, I think... *sniff* He said it... it l-looked like... it was attacked. I don't... remember. Please... please, I don't want to remember. She pleaded in a quiet, weak voice, He remembers it... Y-you can ask him. I don't want to... it... it hurts.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!