Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate did a cursory examination of his wounds. They were much worse than he expected. The gash across his right arm, that he had barely even noticed during the pursuit, was almost deep enough to see the bone.

"I suppose we should find the Elves and tell them what happened here," said Pieter, trying to keep his voice steady.

He rummaged in his slingbag.

"But first off, we have immediate matters to attend to."

He applied a poultice against his largest wound. After wading in the sewers, he supposed, the poultice's foul smell would not make much of a difference.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal (47): (d100)[27]
    Re-roll with Fortune Point if failed: (d100)[24]
    Wounds regained: (d10)[8]

"Anyone else?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-13 at 09:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya gave a wary nod.

Yes sir. If anything happens, you'll know who's to blame. I don't think they'll try anything now. But I'm worried about Raffy, Lothar and Pieter. Please... if you hear anything about them, send someone over?

She took his hand, sincere in her concern about the few people she could call friends. She didn't know what she'd do if she lost them.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    “I’ll do what I can,” said Marius. Sparing Halbermann a last suspicious glance, he left.

There were already crashing noises coming from upstairs as the Hounds set to work turning the house upside-down: not wanting to miss a trick, Ithelus swiftly joined in, the elf’s nimble hands passing over every surface and article of furniture as he searched for hidden things. The Hounds’ technique was less subtle: they smashed stools to search for hollow legs, tore up floorboards and dumped the contents of cupboards onto the floor.

Working through the house room by room, Ithelus found nothing in the way of evidence – nothing one might not expect of such a man’s house. The shoddy little room they had been shown days ago as where Puderbrand had stayed contained the trappings of the Schoppendorf family that was lodging there now, similarly devoid of incriminating material.

Halbermann’s men seemed to be drawing a similar blank: the sergeant took their report with equanimity, shouldering his partisan and looking back at Ithelus.

“Well, looks like whatever we’re lookin’ for, it’s well hid,” he said. “Maybe we’ll be back later – bring more men for a more thorough search, eh? I’m sure the Hunter would want to give this place a lookin’-over.” He pointed at a couple of his men. “You two stay here. Anyone else comes home wonderin’ what happened, you take ‘em straight to me, you understand?”

The two militiamen nodded. Touching his forelock to the elves with a wicked grin, Halbermann and the others made to go.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Illiiya
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not bothering to wait for Halbermann to be out of earshot, Ithelus said something in Eltharian to Illiiya. Roughly translating to 'I wish to gut that man as if he were a pig'

He then followed the men out, holding Illiiya's hand. 'I think we should wait for them at Altmarket, the streets should be less crowded now and we might be able to spot where they went.'
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Bugbear in the Playground

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Rats

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar hauled himself out of the hole in the ground, rolling to one side as he did, groaning. He muttered imprecations against rats and filth mingled with what sounded like a mixture of prayers and curses against several gods, before slowly rising to his feet and dusting himself down. He shook his head at Pieter's 'healing' question, instead picking grit and muck out of his own bites as best he could.

"Filthy, sodding-- I'm goin' t' take a bath in brandy to soak this -stuff- outta my wounds. And burn my boots." The soldier made a disgusted face, wiping pathetically at his shirt with one hand. "Shallya's holy and bountiful tits, this is vile."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy, Lothar & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    As the soldier scrambled out of the drain-hole, the rising chittering of the rats echoing up from beneath him, Pieter slammed the cover back in place - pausing for a moment, Raffy relaxed his posture, the still-loaded blunderbuss falling to his side. Finally, they were safe.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #1477

The Fox, the Hawk, and the Magpie

Spoiler
    Show
    Shifting his clothes into place, the soldier rounded suddenly in Pieter, giving him the angry glare of a veteran campaigner and the son of a fisherman and a Kislevian fishwife.* "You. You, snivelling бабушка of a fish-troll!" He stepped closer to the initiate, raising a fist still covered in muck.

"You shout about how Raffy is a traitor, about how great a hero y'are, that we MUST save the slaves, that turnin' back is cowardice. You ignore that Rafael and I have slain mutants together, that I fought in the War- that we know what we're about!"

"More importantly, you fishwife of a coward of a thing, when we are attacked, swarmed by mutant rats swelled by darkness to move as one mind- you cower, an' run, an' hide, an' never even draw your blade."

Lothar spat.

*Trust the narrator, it's a great glare.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-07-14 at 06:11 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate held the soldier's gaze. His voice was quiet, but cold.

"We do what we're good at, Lothar. You're good at fighting, I'm not. But if I remember well, you're the one who cowered first.

Listen, I have no delusions of heroism. I'm just trying to do the right thing. Rescuing the slaves was the right thing. But trying to fight dozens of hungry rats instead of simply running? Nothing remotely heroic about it. You didn't make the world better by drawing your sword and killing a bunch of filthy rodents."

He remained silent until he was done bandaging his wounds.

"With or without you, rats or no rats, I intend to do the right thing or die trying. But for now I suggest we go to the Guardhouse. The Elves need to know what happened."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy stood by with a stern look to Pieter as Lothar chastised him. When Pieter gave his response Raffy snorted.

"You may not be good at fighting but I thought you'd be good at subterfuge. If they thought we were too scared to ever come back - well, it would have been worth a try. Better than vowing to free the slaves, right there in front of the lot of 'em."

He stretches, and a chain of popping noises comes from his back. "I don't know that we'll be in need of a tagalong much more. You go to the guard house if you want. I'm off to the well in case they got back there already. They need to know what they're facing." His attention turns to Lothar. "Can you walk alright?"

((Ideally we split up, with 1 person going to the guard house, 1 to the well and 1 splitting the difference.))

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "You may not be good at fighting but I thought you'd be good at subterfuge. If they thought we were too scared to ever come back - well, it would have been worth a try. Better than vowing to free the slaves, right there in front of the lot of 'em."
    "They're rats, for crying out loud!" exclaimed Pieter, sinking his face into his hands. "Gods-damned rats! You think they learned Reikspiel at Rat School?"

"I don't know that we'll be in need of a tagalong much more. You go to the guard house if you want. I'm off to the well in case they got back there already. They need to know what they're facing."
    "Not sure I can just waltz into the guard house," said Pieter in a sullen tone. "They don't know me. And some of them saw me when I was with the Hounds." He bared his teeth in a joyless smile. "Guess I'll have to tag along. Sorry to disappoint."

OOC: No more splitting up, please. It's just too complicated.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-14 at 12:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Rafale

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy raises his voice, a first for him in some time. No more low growls from this one.

"We need to get a message to TWO PLACES!" he shouts. He looks to Lothar. "Can you take the guard house?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand about splitting up. In this case though I can't justify not getting the word to both places as quick as possible.

The good news is that whichever team strikes out and doesn't find the elves can immediately go to meet up with the other team. If neither of us find the elves we'll run into each other halfway between the well and the guard station.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't that a big place? Illiiya questioned, I hope we can find them there.

She'll take Ithelus' hand and tag along with him, still quite concerned for Raffy, Lothar and Pieter.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading off at speed, Raffy hurried through the darkened streets, doing his best to ignore the stinging of his fresh wounds. It was not far from where they were to Judge’s Square: the lantern that hung over the door of the Guard House cast a pool of illumination over the guard who leaned on his halberd outside, the man hunching in on himself against the cold.

By now, the gate guards recognised the Captain’s investigators, and the sentry let Raffy pass without comment: it didn’t stop him, however, from staring at the bounty hunter as he passed, the youth’s bloodied and befouled appearance somewhat out of the ordinary.

Inside, the place seemed almost deserted: Marius’ map of the murders dominated the shadowed space of the front hall, staring back at Raffy from the wall where it hung.

“You lookin’ for the Captain?” volunteered the guard, peering over his shoulder. “Your friends came lookin’ for him. The elves. Headed off somewhere, I don’t know where.”

He jerked his head at the deserted hall.

“Everyone’s out ‘round town. Keepin’ watch.” He tapped the side of his nose. “You know. For the killer.”

[hr]

Lothar & Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Walking in tense silence, the pair of intrepid sewer explorers headed back in the direction of Helstrum’s Ward, both doing their best to ignore the pain of their fresh wounds – and the stink of their newly-befouled clothes. The cold of the deepening night did a reasonable job of distracting them, the soft breeze that carried between the leaning houses carrying a chill that cut to the bone.

Reaching the square where the well stood, they stopped as they saw two figures standing by the well itself: the tradesman from whom they had borrowed the equipment, and a second man wearing the white ribbon of a Hound.

As they watched, the door to one of the surrounding houses banged open, three Hounds stepping out over the threshold – Halbermann was foremost among them, the sergeant beckoning to the militiaman who was standing watch by the well. Looking a little relieved, the sentry joined his colleagues, the whole pack of them heading off into one of the side-streets: they left the tradesman standing alone, and looking more than a little distressed.

A few moments after Halbermann had vanished, the door of the house opened again: as he looked at it, Lothar recognised it as the address Maria had sent them to in search of Puderbrand, where the landlord had told them the mutant had defaulted on his rent. Emerging from inside were Ithelus and Illiiya – they stopped as they saw Lothar and Pieter, clearly somewhat surprised by the change in the pair’s appearance...

[hr]

Ithelus & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Opening the door and leaving the ravaged house behind, the two elves stepped out into the darkened square: the last of the Hounds had departed, leaving only the lonely-looking tradesman, still waiting for the return of his property.

Turning to head in the direction of the Altmarket, they stopped – facing them across the square were Lothar and Pieter. Their clothing was torn and filthy – in places, stained with blood, each of them bearing a multitude of shallow wounds. Pieter had a particularly nasty one on his face.

There was no sign of Raffy.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter waved at the Elves and made a rather miserable attempt at a smile.

"Oh, hi... Turns out you did well not to come. Things did not exactly go as planned. We, uh, had to turn back. Rafale went to the guard house to find you."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-14 at 05:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus rushes over to the two, 'are you ok? what the hell happened? we tried to follow you but the tunnel had caved in. We need to find you a doctor.' He takes a moment to compose himself, 'come on, you can explain on the way to the guardhouse.'
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate raised an eyebrow.
    "A cave-in, you say? The slavers must have collapsed it, then. Gods, that's frustrating..."

He noticed the Elf's gaze on his wounds.

"Rats, Ithelus. Rats with a taste for human flesh." Pieter shuddered. "I threw them some of my food and they ignored it. Rafale shot them with his blunderbuss, and they kept coming. No idea what's wrong with them..." He threw a worried glance at his bandaged right arm. "I hope it's not rabies or something like that..."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-14 at 07:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya didn't speak a word upon running across the two wayward men, but stepped forward hurriedly to hug them both. She didn't care how much of the sewer's smell clung to them, she was worried.

You're both all right? Raffy too? Oh thank you! Thank you thank you! I was so worried!

She seemed slow to part from them, but eventually did, stepping back to look at Pieter's face wounds in concern.

You should all see a doctor right away. Right now, in fact. Or you're going to get sick. And we need to find Raffy too.

It... didn't even occur to her to make mention of what they'd found.

You were wrong!

We will see...

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Rats? like sewer rats?' Ithelus asks, confused. 'Or do you mean more like... the kind... from... Nuln.'' Having spent some time in the city he had heard the rumors and numerous stories.
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter mussed Illiiya's hair with a weary chuckle. At Ithelus' question, he rose a puzzled eyebrow.

"Um. The rats of Nuln are not nearly as aggressive, thank Ranald. I'm telling you, those we met weren't normal. I swear they damn near killed us."

As he walked toward the guard house, he showed his makeshift bandages to the Elves: "I've already taken care of myself, but Lothar and Rafale would rather see a doctor. So, what about you? Did the guards believe you about the slaves?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-14 at 08:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Seeing that his friends weren't there, Raffy yanks off his newly blood-soaked scarf and holds it up to the man's face as if it's all the explanation he needs.

"I need powder and shot. NOW." He meant his tone to convey that there was neither time nor tolerance for questions.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius did. The Hounds came with us to find you... but they're ignorant thugs, just like Kray. Illiiya explained, seeming far less worried now that she knew everyone was alive, We found a way up from the tunnels into a basement, and they took the owner for questioning.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

Not Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "If they don't find the slaves, I doubt they can accuse him of anything," mused Pieter. "And it's probably just as well. For all we know, maybe the man just happened to live in the wrong house. I know that if I were a slaver, I wouldn't be stupid enough to have a passage to my secret lair in my own basement."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #1493

Not many people, but one of them is Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Prob'ly he just rented the room, an' didn't ask too many questions- like the owner of other places Puderbrand'd been at." Lothar picked at some of the filth coating his hands, looking uncomfortable. "These rats- they moved like they were one bein', a swarm with one mind at the heart of it."

The soldier shuddered. "Never seen nothin' like it."
    Games:

=

=

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing that his friends weren't there, Raffy yanks off his newly blood-soaked scarf and holds it up to the man's face as if it's all the explanation he needs.

"I need powder and shot. NOW." He meant his tone to convey that there was neither time nor tolerance for questions.
    The man hesitated, thrown off-balance by the suddenness of Raffy's manner.

"We, uh, we don't have that stuff," he said, half-heartedly waving his halberd back and forth by way of explanation. "Not s'posed to be shooting people, y'know."

"Sigmar's breath, what happened to you?" came a voice from behind him - looking round, he saw Marius approaching out of the darkness, staring at Raffy. Coming to a halt, the Captain glanced between the bounty hunter and the sentry on the door.

"Your friends were looking for you." He paused. "Where's Mr Fischer?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk
    Spoiler
    Show

"Sigmar's breath, what happened to you? ...Your friends were looking for you. Where's Mr Fischer?"
    Raffy ignores the first question; to the second, he says, "Helstrum's Ward," he says. "Where're the elves? Did they tell you?"

Raffy doesn't like feeling like a messenger, and although he tries to keep his tone respectful, he's running out of patience. He wants to be running through the streets to the Ward to see if the others are okay, not standing here answering questions.

His impatience probably shows on his face.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-15 at 09:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "I left them searching some poor soul's house in the Ward. One of the tunnels under the well came up in the cellar there. Puderbrand's old landlord, Ithelus said."

The captain looked Raffy up and down.

"The other passageway had collapsed. Did you get trapped?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy takes renewed interest in the conversation. They told him. And they're alive. He relaxes.

"We didn't get trapped by a collapse, Sir. We got surrounded by... eh, maybe 300 rats who acted in unison, Sir. That's neither a lie nor an exaggeration. Whoever is using sorcery has a hell of a taste in familiar spirits, Sir."

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-15 at 09:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Rats." Marius blinked, unsure of how to react. "That's... a serious claim."

Looking left and right, he hesitated, clearly still absorbing the information Raffy had given him.

"Listen - your friends should still be in the Ward, if I'm any judge. You should find them, and get some rest. And, um, wash." Raffy noticed the nobleman was discreetly keeping his distance. "You look like you've been through the Wastes and back. Report back in the morning, and we'll see what's to be done about these tunnels - when I have the men to do it with."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Yes, Sir." Raffy makes a mental note that he needs to get stylish clothing and learn to keep clean. He didn't like being treated this way, and if a bar of soap would get him some respect, then it was time to invest in some soap.

Raffy leaves the Guard House and heads toward the house he was told to go to.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Nodding in acknowledgement, Marius stepped around him, heading into the Guard House. Leaving Judge's Square behind, Raffy headed off into the night...

OOC: The story continues in Thread II.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-15 at 10:30 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb