New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Seth casts a worried glance at the two elves, each in turn. "I have no problem sharing a room, if neccesary. But...perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves. Did the innkeeper mention a number? You say only that he said "people" could stay their for an extra 6 shillings. I'm not certain he cares how many, and unless either of you said that you two were the entirety of your party, I doubt he'd be surprised by just one more person.

"Myself and Raffy added on top might be a tad much, but seeing as he's accustomed to it being used as a meeting place as well, I doubt he'd notice exactly how many people went down and came back up anyway, unless he were going out of his way to pay attention."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Raffy stays deliberately silent as the others talk out their feelings and and discuss how to divide up.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

It's alright. I don't want to irritate the man by dragging extra people here. Illiiya said softly, And I'd... ah... I really don't want to sleep in someone's cold, ratty cellar. I will be all right.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods, perhaps she is remembering more of herself... It will be good for her to encourage some independence. 'Very well then, I do believe we are going our separate ways. Lothar, where do you want to meet in the morning so we can go talk to the Landlord?'
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar shrugs. "Here is fine, 'lest you want to meet in the square after we speak to the blackpowder merchants? We should try'n make sure we do this as efficient as we can, save time and cram as much in one day as we can."

He pauses. "A thought- anyone with normal ears want to try speaking to a priest? Maybe the Temple knows something, too."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

The Sparrowhawk fidgets uncomfortably as the request goes out for someone to talk to a priest.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus chuckles slightly, 'Perhaps we should not try and be in too many places tomorrow, higher profile means a few less ears from what I understand.'

'As long as we all know where we are to be tomorrow' He turns down a side street towards the Hammer, motioning for Raffy and Illiiya to join him.

'Have a good night!'
    Sigatar by Me

8. - Top - End - #188

BardGuy

"I could certainly pose the question to the city's holy men, though perhaps t'were best the Sigmarites in particular were left out of the loop." He shakes his head gravely. "Their overreaction in hiring these "hounds" indicates that the issue is too close to home, that their feelings are clouding their judgment."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raddy nods firmly at Seth's words, though whether it's because he agrees or just for some personal reason is unclear.

He'll say goodnight's to those going the other way and walk with Ithelus and Illiya toward the Hammer & Tongs.

After a moment of trudging along in silence, Raffy speaks to Illiya for the first time of any significance.

"So Illiya, how long've you and your brother been traveling?"

He's making... small talk?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Ithelus is not my brother. Illiiya will say disjointedly, and with the same kind of casual tone one might discuss what they ate for breakfast, He found me. I was in fire... and naked. And he helped me.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

11. - Top - End - #191

Lothar glances at Seth. "Don't be foolish. Even an irrational man might know something useful, but hiring a militia isn't necessarily an overreaction. For all we know, the Hounds' overreaction is just them going nuts. Or there might be others in the Temple who'll talk t' us that don't like the Hounds. You can't just assume they're all a bunch of crazy, over-the-top fanatics."

He shrugs and grins. "Hell, even if they are, that tells us something- that they'll've pissed off a lot of folk 'round here."

12. - Top - End - #192

BardGuy

Seth's face twisted uncomfortably. "Yes, I...I suppose. I'm just wary of allowing the established authority too much leeway-corruption has been known to occasionally spring up in men of the cloth, as well. Every individual must be diligent..." From this springboard, Seth begins to launch into a rehearsed-sounding treatise on the dangers of blind loyalty to mortal men in positions of authority.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

The Tongs
    Spoiler
    Show

“Ah. Right.” The young man looked a little unsure as to how to respond.

Raffy led the way back to the Tongs with a confident step – the young men in the corner had finally left, although from the way the innkeeper was cleaning their table, this momentous event had possibly occurred only moments ago. He acknowledged his customers with a bob of his finely-moustached head, and went back to cleaning.

Heading to their respective rooms, they settled down for the night. Seeing Illiiya and Ithelus to theirs, Raffy luxuriated once again in his own, much the same but with only one bed, like some kind of royalty – the sheets were clean and warm, there was carpet on the floor, and an actual fireplace in the wall, with an iron grate and everything...

Spoiler
    Show
    As previously established, a room at the Tongs costs 10s a night: Illiiya and Ithelus’ room contains two beds, but costs no more than a single.

[hr]

The Crow
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar headed back to the Crow, his memory guiding him well through the unfamiliar streets. A couple of rough-looking lads followed him a little way as he cut back into the depths of the lower town, but seemed to think better of their mark once they got a good look at him – and his assorted weaponry.

Opening the tavern’s battered door, he found the common hall still busy – his gambling companions from earlier, however, were gone. The landlord eyed him suspiciously as he approached the bar and asked for a room, seeming to see the ex-soldier’s custom as more of an imposition than a sale – grudgingly conceding that he might rent rooms for coin, he took Lothar’s money, pointing him up a narrow, wooden staircase in the corner of the hall. There were three doors, without locks – opening the one he had been directed to, he found himself in a bare room, its ceiling following the slant of the roof. A single, grubby window pierced the slanting roof, its narrow panes looking up to the dark sky – despite its cramped dimensions, the room contained two broken-backed beds, the other presumably unoccupied as yet. In one of the inward corners, a small hole had been gnawed in the bare floorboards, the musky smell that rose from it speaking of rodents of some description.

Shutting the small iron bolt that was the innkeeper’s concession to his lodgers’ security, Lothar kicked his effects under the bed, settling down for the night. All in all, he had stayed in far worse billets...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Crow costs 3s a night. A successful Haggle test reduces this to 2.
    Test: [roll0]

[hr]

The North Wind
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crossing the bridge they had come over with the carts, Seth made his way cautiously back to the North Wind, pausing where he could to make sure of his bearings. The unfinished belltower of the Cathedral providing a constant reference point at his back, he found the tavern without too much trouble.

Recognising his customer from earlier, the landlord – a ruddy-faced, reasonably respectable-looking man – let him into his room, a cramped but clean chamber with a battered chest, a bed, and a candle.

Handing him the key, the innkeeper nodded to him.

“You want anything, give a shout. Someone ought t’ hear you.”

Evidently still busy with the tavern’s remaining customers, he headed back downstairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    As previously established, staying at the North Wind will cost Seth 6s a night.

[hr]

The sun rose faint and cold on another morning in Delberz, the rooftops of the old town casting long shadows over the muddy streets. Emerging from a side-street onto Sigmarstrasse, Raffy and the elves stopped as they caught sight of the others, Lothar and Seth already waiting for them.

Stepping out of the flow of the morning’s traffic, the two men nodded discreetly to their colleagues – Ithelus and Raffy exchanged glances, the Sparrowhawk taking the lead.
    “Ithelus and I reckon there’s something to be had in asking around some... shadier types than the Captain could recommend. He reckons it would be best if Illiiya went with you two.”
    Seth assented – Lothar only nodded.
    “We’ll check the powder merchants,” said the soldier. “Probably see you in Neumarket, if any of your friends are round there. Otherwise, I’ll see you at Faulkes Street, Ithelus.”
    Secure in their parts, the two groups split off, Ithelus and Raffy making a bee-line westward, while Seth and the others turned north towards the Altmarket...

[hr]

Ithelus & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show

“So,” said Raffy, leading the way into the lower town, “how exactly are you planning on making these contacts of yours?”
    “What,” said Ithelus, “don’t you know everything about this town?”
    “I left when I was a kid,” said the Sparrowhawk. “Wasn’t exactly a criminal mastermind.”
    “Pity,” grinned the elf. “Fortunately, there’s other ways.”

Raffy watched as Ithelus took the lead – passing surprisingly inconspicuously for one of his kind among the growing crowds, he stopped repeatedly on street corners to speak to the beggars who would approach them. The Sparrowhawk tried listening in more than once, but the elf and the beggars he chose spoke in a cant that seemed utter gibberish to his ears. Most surprisingly of all, no money seemed to change hands.

“Seems there’s two bosses in this town,” said Ithelus, returning. “Dietlief Kleiner, who works out of a pawnshop behind the Crow, and a fellow called Wilhelm Dort, who’s in gaol at the moment. Got on the wrong side of the Hounds, from the sound of things.”

He leaned against a wall.

“They said Dietlief’s got a few bruisers looking after him, and doesn’t take kindly to people wasting his time. He’s got a face-man who hangs about in the Crow, though, most days. The street-ears reckoned Dort would be hard to get to, but since we’ve got the Captain’s signature...”

[hr]

Seth, Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Greitling’s shop was easy to find – huddled in a corner of the Altmarket, the painted sign of a cannon hung over the iron-reinforced door, the old building’s windows narrow and covered with wooden shutters.

Stepping inside, Seth let his eyes adjust to the lower light – a bushy-whiskered man looked up at him from behind a bench laden with tools. Firearms of all descriptions hung from brackets on the walls, a row of large barrels stacked at the back of the shop.

“Can I help you gents?” asked the burgher, standing up – he noticed Illiiya, doing something of a double-take. “And... lady?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-01-11 at 09:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiles, 'What do you reckon? I think Dort should be first, a man in bars might be more willing to talk for the prospect of freedom.'

Either way he strolls through Neumarket with Raffy, caught up in the buzz of the crowd, every now and then they lose sight of each other. He disappears for a minute of so in the masses but re-appears behind Raffy whilst slipping something into his own pocket.
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #195

Nodding to Seth in the manner of one deferring to another, Lothar stepped aside. He peered about the store, examining the weapons with the eye of a man experienced with blackpowder.

16. - Top - End - #196

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Seth sighs "A shambles, this town is, sir. My name is Seth, and this is my associate, Lothar. Our employer sent us out here to feel out the local blackpowder trade. Seems there's a consortium looking to extend their trade route out this way-and offer the stuff at a lower price. So we were sent out to talk to the local merchants, such as yourself.

"However, when we got here, the first questions we posed got us suspicious questions and snarls. Seems the locals here are feeling soured to gunpowder right now, simply because it was involved in the attack on the old temple.

"Now, um...our employer asked us to look into the matter. He's convinced that if the populace has real, live heretics to give the noose, they'll be less eager to hang the powder trade-which would make this a viable stop on a trade route. If only I had some idea where to go looking for the bastards..."

Spoiler
    Show

Re-written as a lie-though its still unlikely to be good enough to offset a roll that high.

And then I put it all in a spoiler, for consistency's sake-though its admittedly a bit late now.

FS 39 (1d100)[67]

Last edited by amgodtic; 2010-01-12 at 06:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Greitling’s Store

Spoiler
    Show

The merchant's eyes lit up.

"Looking into the old Temple explosion? Sigmar's breath, sir, it's a welcome thing to hear someone looking into it who doesn't want to clap us in irons."

"I'll tell you what I told the Guard, and then the Hounds, not that they really listened - it's Karlsen who must have sold 'em the powder, if they got it in Delberz at all. The old Temple wasn't nearly as big as the new one, but they must have needed a fearsome quantity to blow it up the way they did, and I didn't sell that much to any man - or group of men - in that whole month. I've checked the books and I know it's true. In fact, I don't know that I could ever have moved that much powder at once in my life, 'cept on army commissions." He thumped a tub behind him. "My stuff comes in from Nuln, Guild grade, and the Graf's men swear by it, sir. But Karlsen, in the Neumarket, he sells it cheap, and for the quality of it he might well, sir. He doesn't care whether it's the Graf's men or some street thug wanting to pistol his next mark. I don't like to speak ill of my fellow man, but that fellow would sell wholesale to a daemon if he thought there was a profit in it for him. If you want to know where they got it, you hunt around Karlsen, sir."

He stepped around the desk, reaching out to shake Seth's hand. "The man's a snake, and he's driving me out of house and home. Who did you say you were working for? I can guarantee you, your masters set up supplies with me and I won't let 'em down. This is a solid, respectable business, and the Hounds know that, for all they sniff about."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-01-12 at 06:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    Ithelus smiles, 'What do you reckon? I think Dort should be first, a man in bars might be more willing to talk for the prospect of freedom."
    Raffy considers for a long moment, continuing to walk, before responding. At last:

"Well, that's true enough, but once we go in and talk to him he'll know we're in with the Captain." He lowers his voice when mentioning their affiliation. "Besides, unless we can offer him his freedom, there's not much in it for him."

Despite this line of reasoning Raffy is content to go see the men in either order. If Ithelus prefers to go to the gaol, he'll come along, adding, "I suppose we'll have time to see the pawn shop when we're at the Crow later."

Also while they're walking about Raffy will bring up Illiya. "So, Illiya's not your sister huh? She said you found her in a fire - is that true, or more of her nonsense?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya looked around warily as the group entered the shop, uncomfortable and unfamiliar with black powder and the weaponry it spawned. Dangerous, loud and smelly. She didn't know why humans liked it. The shopkeeper seems harmless enough, but she was noticably anxious... possibly because Ithelus was not around. The wary look he gave her caught her notice, however... and she tilted her head curiously as she looked back at him... watching him with a disjointed look as Seth spoke to him.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods, 'That would be logical order to do things.' He Pads through the market, asking for directions to the slammer.

After a little consideration he continues talking, 'Yes, I found her. It might surprise you but I was not always a Town creature, I used to travel around a lot in the wilderness, and I had heard that there was an Kin mage living near a village..... Well, hoping to pawn a few days living off of the mage on account of my blood I headed that way. Turns out I got there just after there was a raid, whole place burnt to the ground... blackened. Dead people all over... the place... anyway, I find her in the ruins. I was confused as to why she was there at first, but once her memory started returning, and along with it her magic... Funny really but I had always assumed the mage would be male...'

He chews his lip, 'We have traveled together for over a month... It's why I have er, chosen to switch to the um, right side of the law. I've become very...... fond of her.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-01-12 at 02:12 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Delberz Gaol

Spoiler
    Show
    The gaol building was back in Judge’s Square – its sooty walls huddled against the city’s crumbling courthouse, saving the gaolers a walk. The gatehouse of the prison framed a broad, iron-bound gate, in which a smaller door opened for the passage of men on foot.

Stepping up to the door, Raffy knocked: a rusted view-slit rattled back, the turnkey on the lock pressing one eye to the gap.

“’oo is it?”
    “Private citizens. We’re here to visit a prisoner.”
    There was a rattle of the key in the lock, and the door swung back – stepping over its threshold, Raffy and Ithelus found themselves in a cramped, triangular courtyard, walls crowding in on all sides to make the most of the paltry space they had been given.

The middle-aged turnkey was looking at the elf with the lazy interest of a man who has seen too much to be easily impressed: turning slowly to Raffy, he looked the youth up and down, sucking his teeth.
    “Visitin’ a prisoner, is it?”
    “Yes. Wilhelm Dort.”
    “’Fraid you’ve had a wasted trip, mister. More’n my job’s worth to let just anyone in to see him.”
    Raffy produced the Captain’s papers, showing the man von Brucker’s signature. Raising his eyebrows in an expression of mild surprise, the turnkey seemed to look at the pair in a new light.
    “Well,” he said, locking the gate behind them, “I suppose you’d better come with me then, sir.”

[hr]

The stone staircase was narrow and dark, the turnkey’s lamp the only light in the gloom. Stopping at another iron-bound door, there was a rattle of iron keys on the ring at his belt, metal grating in the lock – stepping to one side, he looked back at his charges.
    “This is his cell. I’ll be waitin’ outside. He gives any trouble, just give a shout.”
    He chuckled to himself.
    “Not that this one could do you any ‘arm, sirs.”
    The door creaked open – with a brisk, business-like movement, the gaoler shepherded Raffy and Ithelus inside and closed it behind him.

They were in a surprisingly large cell – the bare bricks of the walls were stained with damp, and the floorboards bore a coating of old dust. Thin light streamed in from a single, narrow window in the thick wall that looked down on the courtyard, etching the shadows of its iron bars onto the dusty floor.

There was a dull scrape of wood – in the centre of the barren cell, a man had turned his splintered chair to face them, looking up at the new arrivals with an absent-minded curiosity. He had to be at least fifty, from his white hair and whiskers – though his clothes and cap were shabby and worn, they were of a cut that suggested a strange, decayed gentility. His hands hovered indecisively in front of him, his watery eyes flicking back and forth between the new arrivals – hesitantly standing, he made a little, twitching bow.

“Wilhelm Dort, sirs – ha - at your disposal. I am sorry that you find me in such – hum – unaccustomed conditions. Unfortunate conditions – ha – indeed.”

His eyes flickered between them again.

“I do not believe I have had the – ha – pleasure of meeting you gentlemen before. Please, do be seated” – he gestured to the deep window-sill as if it were a fine divan – “but – um - your names?”

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus sweeps low and takes his hat off in one guesture.

'My name is Tra'chealt, I am here as an emissary for forces.... unnamed. This,' Motioning to Raffy, 'Is my retainer, and my city guide for the duration of my stay.'

He takes a seat, 'I would very much like to talk to you on behalf of my superiors, however I will first require proof of your identity, if that would not trouble, sir?'
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Delberz Gaol

Spoiler
    Show

Dort looked at Ithelus intently, his wavering hands holding still for a long moment.

"I'm sorry, mister - um - Trachealt, but I don't know what proofs you think I have." He waved his hands at the cell around him. "I am - ha - confined, I am stripped of my liberty, my property. If you ask the turnkey, he will tell you. If you wish to ask the other - ha - inhabitants of this place, many of them will know me. I am - I suppose I am well-known here, and outside these walls." He sat up a little straighter. "Once these trifling matters have been set right, sir - a matter of mere weeks, I am sure, days, maybe - I will be happy to - um - entertain you on my own property, but at present my possessions are not at my disposal."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-01-12 at 02:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Before reaching the gaol:

Raffy nods his head. "Listen, about that 'magic'... can she control what she's doing?"

Once in the cell:

Raffy stands over near the ledge but does not sit as requested. He lets Ithelus do the talking, at least at first.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiles. 'But sir, I know a man of your standing would not be foolish enough to count among his possessions of value merely tangible objects.' he taps his temple, 'Paper proves nothing Sir,'

He pauses, 'what matters would these include?'
    Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Delberz Gaol

Spoiler
    Show
    The old man smiled weakly.

"I have unfortunately become embroiled in a dispute with an... upstart, by the name of 'Sergeant' Halbermann," he said, with real bitterness in his voice. "My circumstances may have changed since my youth, but I have always - ha - prided myself on conducting myself as a gentleman. I refuse to deal with such men, and as a result, he used his - hum - influence to confine me to this cell." The man sniffed. "Awaiting trial. He knows as well as I that there is nothing he can charge me with that will stand examination in a court of law. I will be free very shortly, of that I am - ah - very sure."

"But I must ask you again as to the - um - purpose of your visit. While it pleases me to have visitors, I have never heard your name before, mister Trachealt."

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget Raffy's back-dated question in the post above. I wouldn't want to bulldoze over the conversation in the name of speed.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Delberz Jail

On the walk

Spoiler
    Show
    'Her magic.... She is still getting the grips of it again, but remember she was once a strong Mage, trained in the use of the arcane for the benifit of the people, I try not to be fearful of that.'

Jail
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus chuckled, 'Indeed the Hounds are known to me. He attempted to impose an 'ear tax' on myself and my retainers. Such a Xenophobic and barbaric tradition I had hoped would be removed since my last visit. Alas it seems not much changes in a hundred years.' He pauses, 'My intentions... well, as much as I would like to suggest that I am here on amicable terms my reasons are entirely selfish. There are some matters that I have been charged with resolving since the great invasion. I am working for the Wise Council in a position not totally unlike your Hounds. I am here to ensure that the seeds and roots of the Four have not found hold. Of course I have been tasked with tackling the issue with far more tact than so called 'witch hunters'

He gets up, almost ignoring Dort as he turns to Raffy, hoping that the man will catch on to his intended role as a retainer. 'The gunpowder please.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-01-12 at 03:49 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Earlier:
    Spoiler
    Show

Raffy takes a few moments to digest the answer. After turning it over in his head a bit he comments, "I wonder which she'll get back first... the full strength of her magic, or her training to control it." It's said as a rhetorical question, not really one he expects Ithelus to have an answer to, although he does not try to avoid further conversation.

In the gaol:
    As soon as Raffy heard the term "retainer" and saw Ithelus take a seat while he himself was still standing, he knew the role he was supposed to play and it's one he thinks he can pull off. He makes sure he's standing at an angle so that he can see the window on one peripheral, the door on the other, and Ithelus and Dort right in his line of sight. Bodyguard posture.

At the mention of "powder" he becomes a little lost and simply hands one of the paper packets for his 'buss to Ithelus. He does it quietly and obediently as if he knew what he was doing. But secretly he was unsure why Ithelus would want something from his own gun. It's not like they had a sample from one of the local dealers or anything. He just hands it over, stares past Dort and hopes for the best.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

On the walk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus nods at Raffy's comment, not mentioning anything he gives a very 'it is a risk' kind of shrug

Jail

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus takes the powder without so much as a thanks. He walks over to Dort and gives the packet to him. He returns to his seat and adds to his earlier speech, 'Recognise this?'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-01-12 at 04:33 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Delberz Gaol

Spoiler
    Show
    Dort looked at the packet in his hand, and back at Ithelus.

"It is - ah - blackpowder. Are you making game of me, sir?"