New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Banned

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

And now people, let us discuss...INCOMPETENCE!

For example, i guy who can't hit a stationary target from 12 feet away with a machine gun firing on full auto.

It's bad enough if it's a civilian, but when you consider that this guy is supposed to be in the military...

Fortunately this guy is fictional, because if this happened in real life i would lose all faith in the military.

Will the wonders of incompetence never cease?

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    I dislike that there's no 'flay the flesh from their bones for their insolence' option when you meet a filthy human dog who does not recognise their elven superior.

..."Enter a name for your dog"?

Hmmm... Ein? Einstein? Bow wow? Hmm... This is the toughest decision of my lifetime.
    Name him Steve. I like the name Steve. There's not enough dogs named Steve.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Banned

Too late, I named him Dog.

Also, "I hear you're making a killing. Me too! (kill him.)". Now, it's that kind of pun dialogue option that makes life worth living.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-12-15 at 12:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...a d20 system that involves Earthbound?

Well, you would have to account for PK powers somehow...Psionics doesn't fit, because it's not the same thing...you'd need a custom magic system for that.

You would also need to generate the weapons that Jeff can use, because we all know that's his real shtick.

And you would need unique classes, ones that can or can't use PK powers, because not everybody in that universe can.

To say nothing of enemy statistics, where a duck is more dangerous than a dog. Hang on, we need to write this stuff down.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Firbolg in the Playground

Today has been peculiar at times. F'r'instance, my sister came back from her Ten Tors training on the moors today with cow dung on her hat of all places. And covered in mud and grass all over.
    Also, she told us they didn't get a place on the Ten Tors proper so we spent all that money on Army-standard camping equipment and more all for nothing! Almost one hundred and fifty pounds we couldn't afford to spend.

At least she had fun, and she's going ice-skating tomorrow. Or is it Friday? Can't really remember, but I'm pretty sure it's tomorrow. Unless that's when she has to hand in the form . . .
    It's official. My memory is on holiday.
    Anyway! She's doing shopping in an actual city some time this week. So she'll be having more fun.

So, I'm watching some weird Christmas film called Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas and it's actually more like three short cartoons. One for Mickey and Minnie, one for Goofy and son and one for Donald, the nephews and Daisy.
    Which got me wondering.
    Donald and Daisy are dating or in love or something. They're clearly a couple.
    Huey, Dewey and Louie call Donald Uncle Donald.
    They also call Daisy Aunt Daisy.
    Leading to to following problem: how are Donald and Daisy linked? And how are they related to the boys?

Options:
    1. They're both related to the triplets, but one from the maternal side and one from the paternal. So dating, and even marriage isn't really an issue.
    2. Donald and Daisy themselves are related. This is bad romance-wise.
    3. Donald and Daisy were once married, but divorced or separated, so Daisy only married into the family. So maybe they're trying to get back together?
    4. Daisy's an honourary Aunt pending official marriage into the family.

I don't know why I'm putting so much thought into this. I really don't. And the only non-incest thing that makes sense is 4. with 3. being a possibility; but the divorcees trying to get back together doesn't seem to fit.
    Why am I bothering to think about how two fictitious, animated ducks are related?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    4. Daisy's an honourary Aunt pending official marriage into the family.
    I think that is the most likely explanation.

7. - Top - End - #457

Why am I bothering to think about how two fictitious, animated ducks are related?
    I'm not sure, but now you've got me thinking about it too.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    I think that is the most likely explanation.
    Agreed. That's what I've always thought about Donald and Daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl
    Because those animated ducks are awesome. I really loved Donald Duck cartoons when I was a child. I still do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Catmuffin by Captain Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Ikari
    We're having pirate/steampunk combat outside a temporal rift to a goth club run by the Playground senate.

HOW ARE YOU BORED???

9. - Top - End - #459

That's what I thought too. I still don't know why I put so much thought into it though.
    I put so much thought and wondering into that minor tangent into forgetting the most important and painful event of the day!

I was walking the dogs (in the dark of the morning) today, and it was very muddy and slippy. Well, the Koorly One slipped and naturally put out her hand to stop herself.
    And shoved it right into a bramble bush before falling onto the hand in question and mildly twisting my wrist.
    I wasn't wearing gloves either despite how fleepin' cold it was!
    So I shredded my hand. Two of my fingers, my thumb and the whole outside edge of my palm are cut and scratched to hell and naturally covered in cuts, bruises and plasters.
    My pinky and palm are the worst, had to pluck thorns and bits of thorns out of my flesh for a good hour after I got back.
    Strangely, my main typing fingers are mostly okay.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-12-15 at 01:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

So our lovely snow at 15-25 degrees fahrenheit has been replaced by FREEZING RAIN at 31 degrees fahrenheit. I almost slipped and fell at least eight times in the >100 yds between my dorm and the building where my Spanish final was.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

@Koorly:
    I frequently Roleplay with two different people who play a young character with indeterminate parents. With no actual parents to claim, they tend to cling to whatever familial ties they can find.

Seeing how the nephews don't seem to actually have parents (I actually believe that they were either pushed off by their parents to Donald, or that they are actually orphans), I think them calling Daisy "Aunt" is merely symbolic of the strong tie that they share with her.

Alternatively, Donald Duck is the son of Hortense and Quackmore duck, as evidenced in this Don Rosa comic. Daphnie Duck had one son, named Gladstone Gander, and he never married, so he can't be the father of the nephews, which leaves either Eider Duck or Matilda McDuck as the possible parents for the nephews *and maybe even both of them at once*. Eider doesn't open up any doors for us, because that would still make Daisy his cousin at best, BUT, if Matilda is the mother of Daisy, and Eider is not involved, then...no...that would still make them cousins. And it's implied that Matilda would be the mother to the nephews.

Now, in The Duck That Never Was, we have evidence that familial relations for the Duck and McDuck family are well-branched, but I think we can do a bit better than that. In fact, I have the perfect solution.

It is implied in the Don Rosa comics that Daisy and Gladstone have gone on a date before. This being a G comic, they would never mention it, but it is also possible that they were married at one point, and Gladstone, being as lucky but asinine as he is, divorced her for some reason. (This would be consistent with Gladstone's luck, in that he owns practically nothing, but would get half of everything she owns in such a case). So for a brief while, she WAS their aunt, and because of that, they still consider her their "Aunt Daisy", and call her that because it reminds her that, no matter what happens to her, they still love her as family.

And I bet some of you didn't even know they had Disney Comics!

Edit: Alternate Screwball Theory: Daisy is the daughter of either Glittering Goldie, or the daughter of Dickie Duck, Scrooge's granddaughter who fell into the fountain of youth at some point unexpectedly.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2009-12-15 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Il'deav Ila'naie 's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Too late, I named him Dog.
    I saw some probably-bogus statistical analysis that said "Dog" was the most common name.

Fun contest: spot the typo in this post!
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463

Strangely, my main typing fingers are mostly okay.
    So you're basically fine in all respects that matter then?

Seriously though, ow.
    For me the worst is if it's icy and slippy. Because I have rather good balance, so I'm unaccustomed to being even remotely cautious while walking. But if there's ice I can make a step which would be fine under sensible circumstances but which doesn't work when I can't trust my foot to stay on the piece of ground I put it on.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

xPANCAKEx and I got bored and are now writing "Dating/Flirting: an RTS analogy and strategy guide for gamer geeks".

The title is a work in progress. Its a lot of fun to write though!
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx and I got bored and are now writing "Dating/Flirting: an RTS analogy and strategy guide for gamer geeks".

The title is a work in progress. Its a lot of fun to write though!
    I love it!

If I were in any way knowledgeable about relationships (or funny at all, really) I'd be all over that!

16. - Top - End - #466

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I love it!

If I were in any way knowledgeable about relationships (or funny at all, really) I'd be all over that!
    But you are funny, Cristo. We laugh at you all the time!
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I love it!

We'll post it on the forums after we are done. I'll also post it on my blag, but I don't really expect anyone to read that one, haha.

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    But you are funny, Cristo. We laugh at you all the time!
    Ooohhh...

...if I had feelings, they might have been hurt

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    @Koorly:
    *snippage of amazement*

Oh my, that's a lot of work and possibilities. Donald DUck geek.

So you're basically fine in all respects that matter then?

Seriously though, ow.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much fine. :smalltonuge:
    Washing the hand and doing the tweezers thing was pretty darn painful though. Had to get all the mud off, and couldn't be bothered to go to the bathroom for soap so I used Fairy Liquid. Ow.
    I'll get over it in a day or so.

For me the worst is if it's icy and slippy. Because I have rather good balance, so I'm unaccustomed to being even remotely cautious while walking. But if there's ice I can make a step which would be fine under sensible circumstances but which doesn't work when I can't trust my foot to stay on the piece of ground I put it on.
    Ditto. I have remarkably good balance (at times), and I'm confident enough in my footing to walk backwards down streets and roads I've seldom been on, or pavements which are busy and not have to look around much.
    So slippy mud is so unnerving.
    Especially the mud where you don't slip until you start the forawrd motion so what you were certain was sound footing turns out not to be.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Banned

Default Re: Il'deav Ila'naie 's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I saw some probably-bogus statistical analysis that said "Dog" was the most common name.

Fun contest: spot the typo in this post!
    But I named him that because I'm a genius. They just named him that because they smell.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my, that's a lot of work and possibilities. Donald DUck geek.
    I owe most of it to the fact that I read through all of Don Rosa's Donald Duck & Scrooge McDuck stories within the last two months.

You should check 'em out when you get the chance, Koorly. The man does an incredible job writing stories for Scrooge & the Gang, and actually wrote an entire arc that fuses the life of Scrooge McDuck together into an actually plausible timeline (for the Duckverse, that is), and I cannot recommend that arc highly enough to you, because it may very well be the most well-researched comic book arc ever written.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472

I owe most of it to the fact that I read through all of Don Rosa's Donald Duck & Scrooge McDuck stories within the last two months.

You should check 'em out when you get the chance, Koorly. The man does an incredible job writing stories for Scrooge & the Gang, and actually wrote an entire arc that fuses the life of Scrooge McDuck together into an actually plausible timeline (for the Duckverse, that is), and I cannot recommend that arc highly enough to you, because it may very well be the most well-researched comic book arc ever written.
    Do they have those for Goofy?

One things that has always stood out in the Disney universe to me was the lack of actual parents.

In most cartoon films, the parents are either never seen or killed off. I think there are onlye a few films in which the parents are A. seen together and B. both alive at the end. Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Mulan, Hercules (Both His Dad on earth and Zeus), Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp (though not directly the parents of Lady), The Incredibles, & 101 dalmations.

And take a look at the Original three, Mickey's and Uncle. Donald's an Uncle, and Goofy is the only one to reach Dad status, but doesn't have a wife?
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Do they have those for Goofy?

One things that has always stood out in the Disney universe to me was the lack of actual parents.

In most cartoon films, the parents are either never seen or killed off. I think there are onlye a few films in which the parents are A. seen together and B. both alive at the end. Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Mulan, Hercules (Both His Dad on earth and Zeus), Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp (though not directly the parents of Lady), The Incredibles, & 101 dalmations.

And take a look at the Original three, Mickey's and Uncle. Donald's an Uncle, and Goofy is the only one to reach Dad status, but doesn't have a wife?
    You now know the following tips for being in a Disney film:
    Never be a parent.
    If you are, aim to be the mother. Or step-mother, but they always get punished. Except Lady Tremaine, she got away scott free.

I always figured that Goofy's wife died in childbirth. No idea why, I just knew it. I don't think you even see a picture of Mrs. Goofy.
    He makes a fairly good single father though; if you discount the klutziness. And the naivete.
    Also, Mickey's an uncle?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

You now know the following tips for being in a Disney film:
    Never be a parent.
    If you are, aim to be the mother. Or step-mother, but they always get punished. Except Lady Tremaine, she got away scott free.

I always figured that Goofy's wife died in childbirth. No idea why, I just knew it. I don't think you even see a picture of Mrs. Goofy.
    He makes a fairly good single father though; if you discount the klutziness. And the naivete.
    Also, Mickey's an uncle?
    Yes, yes he is. Disney decided to give him a nephew.

...No, I do not know his actual name. But I will be greatly disappointed if it isn't Mortimer.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

furious Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

So Neil Gaiman will be at a bookstore this evening just about one mile from my house. And I have to work.

I'm not big on Celebrity, even those whose works I think actually quite merit such status like in Mr Gaiman's case, but it would have been nice to have something signed. I'm giving his children's book about wolves to my niece for Christmas, having it signed would be a double bene.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are, aim to be the mother. Or step-mother, but they always get punished.
    Tell that to Bambi's mum.
    Last edited by loopy; 2009-12-15 at 03:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    So Neil Gaiman will be at a bookstore this evening just about one mile from my house. And I have to work.

I'm not big on Celebrity, even those whose works I think actually quite merit such status like in Mr Gaiman's case, but it would have been nice to have something signed. I'm giving his children's book about wolves to my niece for Christmas, having it signed would be a double bene.
    Envy, I haz it.

Sympathy too, but mostly envy.

28. - Top - End - #478

Yes, yes he is. Disney decided to give him a nephew.

...No, I do not know his actual name. But I will be greatly disappointed if it isn't Mortimer.
    The world has ended. Mickey is an uncle. Ragnarok dawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post

:smallenvy:
    :envy:
    :bigenvy:
    :verybigenvy:

Can't you just be late?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #479

:smallenvy:
    :envy:
    :bigenvy:
    :verybigenvy:

Can't you just be late?
    Or hold him hostage until we can get there too?

Man, that sucks on a level heretofor unknown...

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Augmented fifths will consume you. They've consumed me. And I will not resist.

Here.

(Pandora played me this song. It was playing a bunch of pop punk and other modern rock that I was thumbs downing. "Boring song. Boring song. Not sure this constitutes a song. Nothing here either. Is there quality screening in label companies? This one has no variation from start to end. That takes negative talent. Nothing here. Boring. WOW. THIS IS COOL." )
    Last edited by randman22222; 2009-12-15 at 04:35 PM.