New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default So, Steeldance. [3.5]

It's just one of those spells that I've never really payed attention to until I sat down and read it today. It's interesting, if not particularly amazing. I have this mental image of a gish wading into combat with a dozen greatswords whirling through the air slashing at anything that comes close. As is, that would seem a pretty massive waste of actions to animate that many on a regular basis, to say nothing of the squandered spell slots.

So, a question.

Aside from lugging around and then animating a pair of Colossal+++ greatswords for each encounter, which seems to be against the spirit if not the letter of the spell, are there any respectable ways to make something decent* out of one or two castings of the spell?

*Boilerplate disclaimer acknowledging the inferiority of hp damage as a means of accomplishing things goes here. Extend disclaimer to include gishes in general if you're feeling uppity tonight and plan on starting another Wizards vs X debacle.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: So, Steeldance. [3.5]

I think the most efficacious way to have them do anything interesting is to be Giant Sized when you cast that spell.

Whirling Blade has a better wording that lets you stack all kinds of craziness on your weapons, and then use shape spell to blast in novel ways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Eh. Might as well just buy the larger swords at the get-go then.

Some sort of cheese to persist the spell a couple times + Brilliant Aura?

Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I love Steeldance. One of the best uses for it is to trick the enemy into thinking your something other than a squishy caster, like a twf ranger.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Disguise yourself as a solar and pretend to have its dancing sword?

I know I'd run if I saw it.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

The spell is, strangely, a Medium ranged one, despite it targeting what you hold in your hands. I guess just use incantatrix, eh? Persist a crapton of those low level spells that add bonus damage on them, like Dolorous Blow, Blades of Fire, Sonic Weapon, and Weapon of Energy.