New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick: The Manga

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Perhaps you could talk to Rich about making an official manga translation after the last book was in stores? I guess that would be legal, but would depend in his aproval, anyway

Your work is really awesome, but it's a different kind of awesome than OotS itself. Rich is more of a comic/drama/adventure... writer, and he chose a medium that would favor the jokes, but it works for the drama as well.

Your style is mor about the show, the flashy battles(I liked Soon's katana) and more importantly, a *Second viewpoint*. If I read his comics, then yours, I will gaze upon a different understanding of the story
    Manga is better suited to drama and adventure than you might think.

But yes, if anything, what would be best is a spinoff story, if Rich okayed it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

That would be epic-
    Is that Mal?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumosabe View Post
    This has been discussed, at length. The bottom line was the stick figure style both directly and indirectly affects the humor. While manga style is good for a few scenes, a full reproduction would not be worth it.
    Not to reopen the discussion you mentioned, but I disagree completely. The worth is in the eye of the beholder, and those who are comfortable with stick figure comics are a much smaller audience than those who like the manga style.

As regards "preserving the humor", the only thing I can see that you'd lose are jokes about the stick figures. That's not really a big impact for me. I keep reading this comic for the story, and for me, Elagune's representation brings a hella more impact to the story than the stick style.
    Woot

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, most of the comics would be pretty boring in manga form. Talking heads much, anyone?

Besides, I have to admit that I'm rather tired of things being turned into manga to sell it to an audience that wouldn't give a damn about it otherwise.

Having said that, I'm pretty sad that Elagune hasn't been on here for a while. His art is pretty sweet. I would like to see where Pray n' Play is going, too.
    Last edited by Comet; 2010-02-12 at 01:47 PM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

449 would be amazing. So dramatic.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    449 would be amazing. So dramatic.
    ... that one HAS been done >.>

7. - Top - End - #727
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wootage View Post
    Not to reopen the discussion you mentioned, but I disagree completely. The worth is in the eye of the beholder, and those who are comfortable with stick figure comics are a much smaller audience than those who like the manga style.

As regards "preserving the humor", the only thing I can see that you'd lose are jokes about the stick figures. That's not really a big impact for me. I keep reading this comic for the story, and for me, Elagune's representation brings a hella more impact to the story than the stick style.
    The stick figure style enhances a lot of the jokes, not just the ones that make fun of the style. PLEASE don't ask me to name them, going through the archives is a bitch.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

...so it has.
    It's as amazing as i imagined.

Elagune must be a future psychic!

I dunno... i just re-read like half the archive, and didn't see even one.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-02-12 at 04:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Dwarf in the Playground

The stick figure style enhances a lot of the jokes, not just the ones that make fun of the style. PLEASE don't ask me to name them, going through the archives is a bitch.
    Then I've never noticed that - yet I still read the comic. That's why I say a different form would work for a different audience. You've got to admit that just being able to read a stick-figure comic puts you pretty far outside of the range of the "average reader".

In the end, whether an audience exists for a given portrayal of a story is an emotional decision, not a logical one. So you can't decide it by discussion, you have to try it out to find out what people feel about it.

If you'd have talked to me about OOTS done in manga style before, I'd have said "meh. I dunno if it'll make any difference at all". Now that I've seen what Elagune's done, I'm a friggin' fan. The stick figure style may work for a lot of things (mostly subtle and/or stick-figure-humor related imho), but Elagune's work hits the big things - there's way more expressiveness and characterization? to the characters, and what it does for the action scenes is in a whole 'nother league.

And it's perfectly natural that this should be the case, because unlike stick figures, realistic characters have faces and bodies to work with. I'm sure that if Rich chose to go with a realistic style, the same would happen.
    Woot

10. - Top - End - #730
    Banned

Then I've never noticed that - yet I still read the comic. That's why I say a different form would work for a different audience. You've got to admit that just being able to read a stick-figure comic puts you pretty far outside of the range of the "average reader".

In the end, whether an audience exists for a given portrayal of a story is an emotional decision, not a logical one. So you can't decide it by discussion, you have to try it out to find out what people feel about it.

If you'd have talked to me about OOTS done in manga style before, I'd have said "meh. I dunno if it'll make any difference at all". Now that I've seen what Elagune's done, I'm a friggin' fan. The stick figure style may work for a lot of things (mostly subtle and/or stick-figure-humor related imho), but Elagune's work hits the big things - there's way more expressiveness and characterization? to the characters, and what it does for the action scenes is in a whole 'nother league.

And it's perfectly natural that this should be the case, because unlike stick figures, realistic characters have faces and bodies to work with. I'm sure that if Rich chose to go with a realistic style, the same would happen.
    I know, it works great for the big dramatic/cinematic scenes, i was trying to point out it wouldn't work for all 703 comics so far.

11. - Top - End - #731

No it doesn't.

I do not fault Rich for using the style, but there's little other to say that that Rich uses template art.

He's clearly capable of drawing the strip in crayons if he wanted to. One logically assumes he could use a tablet and stylus to do it as well. And from there, it's merely a matter of experimentation to improve. (Yes, on stick-figures. They can be a bit lifeless or even seem a bit manufactured.)
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2010-02-14 at 11:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    No it doesn't.

I do not fault Rich for using the style, but there's little other to say that that Rich uses template art.
    *shrug* i don't fault you for thinking so. i still say you're wrong, but hey. your opinion.

(Yes, on stick-figures. They can be a bit lifeless or even seem a bit manufactured.)
    Yeah, if you pay that much attention to the fact they're stick figures.
    Last edited by Kumo; 2010-02-14 at 11:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

I think he uses stick figures because it plays up the satirical elements. A manga would play up the drama.

And oh? I've seen plenty of mangas/animes with long plot exposition scenes and the like. None of them are that much worse than this.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob View Post
    Honestly, most of the comics would be pretty boring in manga form. Talking heads much, anyone?

Besides, I have to admit that I'm rather tired of things being turned into manga to sell it to an audience that wouldn't give a damn about it otherwise.

Having said that, I'm pretty sad that Elagune hasn't been on here for a while. His art is pretty sweet. I would like to see where Pray n' Play is going, too.
    Well, I like manga because a) it's pretty much all independent artists, and I really support that - the manga industry in Japan is way more the ideal of the "American way" than the American way-, and b) it works really well for characterization. You can tell me any story in that style and I find it engaging. Although you can leave off the sweat drops and nosebleeds - those are particular to Japanese culture and kind of break immersion for me. The face faults are great though, they actually add to the experience for me.

It's actually very common that a story is written in a specific format for a certain audience, but later it's adapted to work with a different format that serves a different audience better. What matters is that they keep the "heart and soul" of the story really, and as long as it's done really well (like by a fan who really gets the story in collaboration with the author), great success has been had.

I'm sure we can all name plenty of examples. Some off of the top of my head are the Lord of the Rings books / Peter Jackson's movies, The Chronicles of Narnia books / movies, etc.

Heck, my first graphic novel ever was the Star Wars graphic novel. That's a conversion of a movie that was a conversion of a book. And it was great for me - I read the book a few times, saw the movie a lot, but that graphic novel is what I remember most from that time.
    Woot

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Well said.

...Star Wars was a book?

16. - Top - End - #736
    Banned

Well said.

...Star Wars was a book?
    Tons of movies became books.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Ooooh. I thought you meant book THEN film. THUS confused.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It was a book first, all lightsabers were blue, and so was yoda...

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

...huh. Weird. Ok.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

The book came out first, but it was based off of the film's script rather than the other way around. Long story.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, i just looked it up. XD

22. - Top - End - #742
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would also enjoy a full conversion, I love Rich's art style then again getting to see it all again the story, the characters everything from a completely different view point would also be fantastic.
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

While I find Elagune's version a lot, it's Elagune's interpretation, vision and so on.
    With stick figures, the way the characters look, their exact expression, and many details are left to the reader. You can tell just by following earlier this thread: not everyone for instance had the same vision of Haley.

I think OOTS style allows the reader to really imagine a lot, just like a novel would. The visual clues are there but not overwhelming. Any adaptation would be just that, an adaptation, and just like a movie made out of a book it would be more restrictive (you can't imagine what the characters look like as much), and although some would like it and some not, it would only be one possible version.

Even just going with manga, every manga artist would end up with a different manga. Different representation of the characters, different angles/points of views, different numbers of panels. As such I don't think there could even be a "real" manga version, but only one out of many (same goes with pretty much every style).

Although it could work, it wouldn't be the same at all, and I wouldn't like seeing any "official" version, I much prefer having the option to say "it's this fan's vision of things".

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

That would be nice, but the problem is money. No-one has the time to do it unless they can make money from it, and it would be near-impossible to get permission for one adaption, let alone many.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    While I find Elagune's version a lot, it's Elagune's interpretation, vision and so on.
    With stick figures, the way the characters look, their exact expression, and many details are left to the reader. You can tell just by following earlier this thread: not everyone for instance had the same vision of Haley.

I think OOTS style allows the reader to really imagine a lot, just like a novel would. The visual clues are there but not overwhelming. Any adaptation would be just that, an adaptation, and just like a movie made out of a book it would be more restrictive (you can't imagine what the characters look like as much), and although some would like it and some not, it would only be one possible version.

Even just going with manga, every manga artist would end up with a different manga. Different representation of the characters, different angles/points of views, different numbers of panels. As such I don't think there could even be a "real" manga version, but only one out of many (same goes with pretty much every style).

Although it could work, it wouldn't be the same at all, and I wouldn't like seeing any "official" version, I much prefer having the option to say "it's this fan's vision of things".
    Very true about the different conceptions. The stick style is about the most minimal one there is, and therefore leaves the most to the imagination. Incidentally, it also requires the most imagination to interpret, thereby creating a barrier to acceptance. That's probably why I found the manga style so striking - by using many emotive elements at once, it's the opposite end of the spectrum.

Regarding adaptation and the different views that each artist may have, that's par for the course, really. In Elagune's work for example, I noticed that Haley's manga-style physique wasn't at all like Rich has intimated. She's more full-figured than Celia, for instance - can't find the comic link, but Celia mentioned (repeatedly) having to take in Haley's borrowed pants. But those are things you work out with the creator, and just like OOTS as it is now isn't perfect, any adaptation will never be perfect either.

But when all's said and done, I'll take the imperfections in a second if it brings in a whole new audience for the OOTS story ;)
    Last edited by wootage; 2010-02-15 at 01:17 PM.
    Woot

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

I just looked at this for the first time.

THIS. IS. SPARTA EPICCCCCCC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Sparta has NOTHING on Elagune.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Banned

Sparta has NOTHING on Elagune.
    Well sure, not anymore. They're dead.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Don't you use Logic on me. -_-

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Well sure, not anymore. They're dead.
    Technically so is this thread so they can fight again if they really want to.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.