Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 158
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Eleven Dukes: The Lost Lantern

    Characters:-

    Cath: The frantic Fighter Fights for a Fee....
    Sadie Formant: Who found a place to bide her time...
    Chandor Evanseki: Who is in enough trouble to be free...
    Valline Corys: Searched for Templars and Found Muoris.



    A fresh gust of even fresher wind brought with it more swirling snowflakes which quickly settled, taking another small bite out of the fading trail of footsteps that wound through the trees. The trail appeared from somewhere beyond the misty shroud and disappeared deep within it, leading away, far away from the great tree and the village huddled beneath it. Of course, by now the beginning of the trail had ceased to exist and only the gods above and perhaps the forest all around and maybe the beasts of Timespan knew where the trail would lead the five weary but well equipped travellers that had broken it. They had departed Muoris not two days ago, heading South, the words of the strange elven maid still ringing in their ears, and the unnaturally pale face still before their eyes. Did she even belong to the race of elves or was she another of the strange conjurations of the forest?

    "Bring me the diadem- you'll know immediately that it is the one I seek- and your reward shall be twice its worth." She had said- and they had gathered themselves and their possessions and headed south, into the misty, though otherwise clear evening. At first the weather had favoured the hasty travellers- the misty eve turning into a clear and starry night- the snow cast aglow with the brilliance of the million watchers in the abyss above and the shadows of giant evergreens lay about the camp. All the whilst something glinted eerily red at the edge of perception of those set on watch, something that would make the already gratingly cold air catch in the throat. Then tendrils of cloud wrapped about the heavenly eyes and shut out their light, turning the night to pitch if not for that dreadful glint somewhere in the wooded depths. It wasn't long until the mist, the same thin mist of the evening, rolled in and the night reigned true.

    At dawn the sky way gone and only at hands' reach from the snow-laden branches and the age-cracked bark of the great trunks could they see the trees, shielded by the innumerable feathery snowflakes that had began to fall and by mid-morning, buffeted by the gale and blinded by the frenzied snow, the party had lost itself -and the forest- in the midst of the white-out. Progress had become all but impossible and they stumbled, striving vainly to bare south when all directions became meaningless when it was impossible to tell north from south man from tree. And if one of them happened to stumble and fall, then the notions of up and down also disappeared. Sometimes a light would drift through the storm, only to drift away the next moment out of their world.

    Then the storm was over and the travellers looked about them- the snowflakes fell gently once again, the strangely tall pines surrounding the travellers. They stood solemnly, their branches swaying slightly, as if form all directions the wind blew towards the party. Somewhere behind them, in the dream-like mist, the snowflakes ate away at their fading footprints, possibly your one connection back to whence you came...


    Ahead of you the mist, and the forest thins and the daylight is surprisingly brighter, drawing quite clearly every bump in the snow and sharply etching the needles of the great pines around you. You stand at the edge of a snow covered clearing that must go on for a few hundred yard in every direction. At the centre of the clearing stands what looks like a smooth marble column, roughly twenty feet in height. Three more white columns, roughly half the height, stand around it, roughly at 100 feet between themselves and the larger central stone.
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    ”I'm starting to realise just how much I hate the snow.”

    That blizzard they had just marched through was not on the list of things Sadie would like to go through again in the future, especially if it happened to be with three complete strangers who she'd met not days ago. Sure, they seemed nice enough, but how could she know she wouldn't be pick pocketed the moment she lost sight of them?

    There was a tall one, with a very large burn across his face. It was somewhat reminiscent of One-Eyed Lenny, but she knew where he'd gotten all of his burns; who knows what happened to this 'Chandor' fellow? Though he didn't seem to be unsocial, she had been slightly keeping off away from him during their journey.

    Then there was the little halfling who called himself Cath 'Crazy' Callaghan; he seemed joyous enough, and she'd had plenty of halfling friends back in Dimal, but none of then had the stench that followed this one around.

    Finally, there was another girl: Valline, who definitely gave off a holy vibe with that symbol dangling off her neck; Sadie wasn't strictly atheist, being a follower of Olidammara, so she had no problem with the apparent clerical nature. That, and she had to admit that she was quite pretty to boot.

    The clearing ahead looked fairly relevant to the goal that strange elven woman had given her. At the time, she just thought it'd be a good way to bide her time whilst she waited for her bounty to recede, but how she'd ended up with these three was something she wasn't quite sure herself. Of course, they'd probably prove helpful in the long run, so she shouldn't complain.

    “This looks like the spot; I think I'll go look around.” she said at the others, mumbling slightly. Without really stopping to listen to what they had to say, she moved up to the middle of the clearing, unconsciously drawing up the hood around her head as she had done so many times when surveying crime spots.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2009-12-13 at 11:40 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    "Now this is why I am can be grateful for my circumstances! Who knew that being the cause of one of the worst accidents in academic history would lead to such a find? This might not even be what we were looking for! The way we have wandered through the forest we may even be the first people to see these ruins for hundreds of years! What an opportunity!" Chandor exclaimed in joy as the group of adventurers stumbled upon the stone columns. In fact he does a small skip reminiscent of a youth as he steps forward into the clearing. He seems not to be bothered at all by the falling snow or cold weather

    Chandor is a man of average height and a thin build. He has brown eyes and hair. He wears simple clothing of mostly earth browns and light red, that includes a slightly shimmering maroon cloak that is billowing slightly in the wind. Across his back is a worn but sturdy looking backpack, and on his vest a series of different vials and tools are held. A quarter of his face is scarred from what looks to have been a horrendous burn.

    Under the hood of his cloak a small furred face just barely sticks out. It appears to be a small brown rat, with smooth and healthy fur. Its whiskers are caked in frost, but it does not seem to be affected. The small creature wiggles its nose in dismay as its master almost joggles it from its riding spot with his skipping. It squeaks in dismay as it balances itself, and then raises itself onto its hind legs and bites down on Chandor's ear.

    "Ouch! I get it, I get it Volstin, you could have told me another way." Chandor grumbles as he continues walking into the clearing, but this time without a skip or a jump.

    Hearing his companions remark, Chandor says back to her. "Take your time! I'm going to look over these columns, see if I can discern from where they are." Turning to the rest of his companions he remarks. "Isn't this all just amazing? I can't wait to see what we find next."

    He then proceeds to walk into the clearing with a fast pace, seemingly very intent on the stone columns.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I forgot to name my familiar and include him in the statistics block, I shall put him up right now.


    Chandor has cast and shared on his familiar Endure Elements. He also has two scrolls of it but probably forgot to mention that fact, as he wouldn't think of it unless it got dangerously bad weather wise.


    Chandor is going to make several knowledge checks as he looks over the columns to see what he can find out.

    Knowledge: Architecture
    (1d20+6)[9]

    Knowledge: History
    (1d20+6)[7]

    Knowledge: Local
    (1d20+6)[20]

    Knowledge: Religion (If Relevant)
    (1d20+10)[25]

    Knowledge: Arcana (If there are letters/symbols on the columns)
    (1d20+12)[19]

    Decipher Script (If there are letters/symbols on the columns)
    (1d20+9)[19]



  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Lantern:

    Sadie: As you step into the clearing and away from the strangers with whom you travel, you notice the snow is somewhat deeper than amongst the trees- which makes perfect sense, but is still somewhat irritating. It crunches under your feet and you feel as if the trees can hear every step you make. The snow is mostly unbroken here- it is clear that small animals have been here, but there is no trace of humanoid activity. Yet you can feel that there is something not quite right here- it is as when you enter a bar and there are three disguised guads somewhere in the room- you know it, but you don't know who they are or when they'll strike. As you move into the centre of the clearing, passing between the stones, the feeling deepens, as does the snow.

    Edging around the central stone at an inexplicably greater distance than you wished, you almost trip over a tent- A primitive constructionof plain canvas, half covered in snow and held up by a single pole. You freeze. Then a moment later you quietly let your breath out. You can hear no signs of life, and if there were, they'd probably hear you.

    Chandor: You walk around the outside of the columns, not venturing towards the central column. You wander near and far, stopping now and then to bring to bare the weight of knowledge, hoping that dropping from a height would be enough to crack this mystery....

    The outside three columns appear to be carved from two blocks of marble each, in the shape of triangular prisms. The central column however, is round and appears carved from a single block. The architeture is like nothing you've seen before and you are unsure of the era in which they were constructed and of the people who made them. Upon closer inspection, you notice that the outer columns seem weathered, with countless barely visible cracks running down them.

    Nor have you in your brief time in Muoris heard of anything like this- although one of the locals, a rather distinctive man- cloaked in green and wearing a well trimmed black beard and rather dark eyebrows, who you had learned was a mage of some description did after rather lengthy convesation mention that there were ruins scattered all over the forest, probes into the mists of time that just needed a daring taveller to find them... Other than that you knew that the tree seldom made concessions to civilisation. If these stones were left alone by the trees, it must be for a good reason.

    Spoiler
    Show
    You do know that the triange, both in the physical and metaphysical realm is a shape of great power, but has long been superceded by the pentagon and the circle- it is likely that whatever this was, it was involved in some old world rituals... Then it comes to you. The triangle, whilst a weaker shape than the pentagon, was wildly useful when uniting unrelated forces and schools of magic- it is very likely that these columns, aligned as they were, acted to focus a spell onto the fourth column in some way. A focus of some sort... Or an alter. It may even be a way of focusing energies from three different deities onto a single item or individual,

    There are symbols on the columns, a short message, followed by a complex string of draconic glyphs- clearly spells of great complexity, on the traingular ones at least... And as you look at them, reading into the short message above each of the columns,

    On the first column, in Sylvan: To the end of time, I hide you, master, from the sight of men and ghosts alike. Thus I am pledged, and thus I stand.

    On the Second Column in Draconic: To the end of time, I ward you, master, from the touch of good and evil hands. Thus I am pledged and thus I stand.

    On the Third column stands writing of an unknown tongue. The symbols are somehow ugly, menacing. You cannot glean their meaning, even though it hangs just beyond your grasp, but you are sure that their meaning is most unpleasant.


    -----------------------------------
    NB: Anything IC in a spoiler is in it to highlight the metagaming potential of their content. I do think, however, that anyone can read it if they want, it is just in case some people prefer to stay in the dark.
    Last edited by Leush; 2009-12-13 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Grammer....
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath

    Hmmm… improbable architecture of mysterious origin- seems like a standard deathtrap waiting for some curious fool to stride into and get crushed/burned/eviscerated by things best left alone. Fortunately we are a band of four curious fools, so perhaps we will find foolish strength in our foolish numbers. Still... I am beginning to get a notion of why that elfish lass decided to throw coin at us instead of searching for the diadem herself. This whole mission has a feel of a test to it, though whether a test of us, or of the lethality of the diadem’s defenses, I haven’t the faintest. At least my companions seem wiser than I am, so I can safely trust them to suss out any traps or puzzles of ancient yore, though I best stay close incase any thrilling heroics are called for.

    “Ho, this here looks like a situation best left for the clever folk, I’ll keep watch while the rest of ye search and plot our way forward. Give a shout if ya need me, or if ye decide any excavations are in order, I have me an axe made of adam-mint-tine- or is it adam-man-twine? Adam-max-tor? Anywho, I got a magic axe that can hew away rock’n such easy as pie, just ask if ya be needing it."

    Cath idly wanders about the clearing, blowing warm air on his fingers and rubbing his hands as he does so- making sure not to stray more than a quick dash from his companions- while keeping an eye towards the woods, just incase.
    Last edited by Gecks; 2009-12-13 at 05:42 PM. Reason: gah, grammer

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline

    Valline wandered a short distance behind the others, eventually finding her way into the clearing and staring at the columns before them. Once she was satisfied with the detail she had gleaned, her eyes slowly found their way around the rest of the clearing. She wasn't looking for anything in particular, but rather taking in the scenery. After all, she had never been one for travel, but now here she stood, as far from home as she had ever been before. And as the cherry on top, lost in the woods.

    Lost isn't the best word to use, she thought to herself. I just don't know exactly where I am. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kind of guidance sooner or later, Divine or not.

    "Adamantine," she corrected as she paced past one of the other travelers. "My father used to tell me stories about all kinds of great heroes using enchanted weapons in their travels, especially adamantine. You have quite a special weapon there." Although she was obviously speaking to the other, she was still looking away, staring off into the distance.
    Last edited by Zarah; 2009-12-13 at 11:07 PM.

    "I'm just the cool, handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother."
    [ Star Wars Year 41: Unity | Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II! ]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    "Sadie! Hey Sadie! Get away from the central column! It has powerful primal protective magic on it! I have no idea what it could do but it it won't be fun. Come back beyond the first three columns!" Chandor jumps up and yells seeming very excited. "Just give me a few more minutes everyone, I need to figure something out!"


    Spoiler
    Show

    If Sadie comes back, and nothing horribly bad happens. Chandor will first take 10 in searching all around the outer edges of the clearing to see if he finds any more markings or signs of what the columns might do. This will give him a search check of 15, and 17 if it is a secret door or compartment.

    If nothing springs up Chandor will then cast detect magic and do the same, circling around the clearing. He will attempt to identify and verify the exact locations of all the auras in the clearing with detect magic, so they can figure something more out about what is going on here.

    Spellcraft rolls are in the rolls thread.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    Picking herself up and dusting the snow off her front, Sadie rolled around onto her back. Who left a sheet lying out in the snow here? Moving over, Sadie picked gingerly at the edge, discovering upon closer examination it to be the remains of a tent.

    "A tent? Does that mean there's someone here...?"

    Suddenly, she heard Chandor calling out to her. Something about magic? Maybe he'd found out something about the place. Clearing the snow out of her ears, Sadie called back to him.

    "Magic, did you say? Hang on, I found something out here! I'll just give it the once over and then you can tell me about it!"

    Looking back down, Sadie began rooting around the tent remains and surrounding area for anything of note, unaware of the potential danger that might be approaching her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming no-one comes in to intervene, or Sadie doesn't get blasted by a huge bolt of doom, Sadie'll do a search through the tent stuff and surrounding snow. Check's in the dice thread.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath: You take a long walk around the outside of the clearing, and see only the forest around you, a dark, quiet presense that breathed upon you with its cold, piney breath and stretched ts arms earily towards you- although you were pretty used to that by now. Ahead of you, unbroken snow, behind, a trail of prints, each six inches deep. On your journey you find snow, more snow and yet more, white, powdery snow. You also come across a fair few twigs and needles, at almost random orientations, probably dropped by the storm, but nothing more. Having returned to your original spot start out in the opposite direction.....

    Valline: You take a deep breath- how good to breathe the clean air, how much better that it is not full of snowflakes! The clearing stands before you- still and silent but for your companions. The situation is completely alien to you- even the columns appear to have no significance in the traditions of the church of Moradin. You do notice that the place is not just quiet, but quieter than a tomb- in a tomb you might be lucky to encounter vermin- whilst here the forest held its breath.....

    Chandor: You stand, unsure as to whether Sadie has heard you or not and you torn between doing something and doing nothing... but nothing immenantly bad happens to the young woman- she does seem to trip over something, but appears to suffers no ill effects...

    Sadie: Unaware of her impeding doom and slightly wet and with that uncomfortable little pellet of snow somewhere down her back, the rogue quickly roots through the tent's content; it is incredibly cramped and the presense of a three foot long bedroll confirms your suspicions that whoever owned this tent was small. You find, at the head of the bedroll, which seems to have been left uncovered, a small, scuffed white saddle-bag, with items of all sorts strewn around it- a couple of books that looked like they were ready to give up their ghosts, a couple of scrolls, a couple of bottles of oil, a little jerky... So essentially all the basics and non of the frills.....


    -------------------------------------
    Aecus- say if you wish to go ahead with the search and scan...
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Chandor watches Sadie root through the tent and sighs, determined to go back to his search. Well if nothing has happened yet, nothing should happen now, but I don't want to take chances...

    "Don't touch anything, just remember where it is! I have no idea what will trigger the magic here, and I don't want to risk anything!" He yells towards her as he goes about looking for more information.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Chandor will go about his search. He doesn't know about the feeling of impending doom :P He is very interested in this find.
    Last edited by Aecus; 2009-12-14 at 06:06 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath

    ’Primal Protective magic...I have no idea what...’ sounds like a good recipe for flambéed halfling (and company!) if ever I heard one. This job is looking more and more interesting all the time. And what is that the Lass is so interested in? Looks like a bit of fabric sticking out of the snow- a tent? So maybe us four aren’t the best and the brightest after all, just the next in line. Makes one wonder how many folks that Elfish lady has sent into the woods looking for that diadem…

    “Hey, is that a tent? Like as not some poor unfortunate soul was stupid enough to come poking around here, no doubt on some fools errand to extract an item of amazing value from these here deadly ruins, probably on the payroll of someone too smart to try it on their own. Tell me lass, is the poor sod cold and stiff, or missing entirely? This seems to be a ‘mysteriously disappeared’ sort of place, so my money is on that tent being totally empty. Still, if yon tent pitcher had succeeded, he likely would have taken his tent with ‘em when he left, so his unknown yet undoubtedly grisly fate means the item in question is probably still here; good news all around if I do say so myself, ha ha!”

    While he has been speaking Cath has amiably ambled back towards his companions, flashing them a gap-toothed grin as he nears. He still keeps glancing over his shoulder- who knows what might come wandering out of those strange woods- but his attention is now firmly on the puzzle at hand, and he wishes to be close to the other incase trouble starts. Say what you like about “Crazy” Callaghan, he has never been one to let his companions suffer grisly fates alone!
    Last edited by Gecks; 2009-12-14 at 09:08 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath: You close in on your companions, just in case... However, you are vaguely aware that most of the fates here are polar, the grizzly fates dwell further north.

    Chandor: Seeing that nothing has happened, you make a round of the clearing and having found absolutely nothing by mundane means- it is a suspicuously innocuous clearing, containing apparantly no trap doors and no secret tunnels- although you can't be sure- it is covered by at least a foot of snow, and you don't feel the need to be particularly thorough just yet. It would be far more productive to probe the arcane shadow of this mundane reality....

    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a brief twinkle in the depth of your eyes as they are attuned to see the things that are normally unseen and immediately the forest around you becomes a kaleidoscope. You have been warned of this effect- faint flashes of all schools and shades and streams of inpalpable force (if that makes any sense at all) ripple amongst the trees- an effect that you have been warned of. Curious and mysterious though it is, it is hard to glean any meaning from this cacophony- only that it patters out in the clearing, leaving only faint and moderate tendrils of divination sweeping lazily towards the centre.

    You focus on the outer columns but they are not magical. Not anymore, not now. Now you can feel only echoes of a lingering aura emanating from them- intertwining amongst the columns and seeking the central pillar. The echo from the Sylvan column is complicated and you quickly lose yourself in the many twists it offers. Hopelessly you turn to the Draconic column. The echo is just as complex but you brace yourself and keep probing and are rewarded with the answer- the magic that was contained within this stone was an abjuration of some sort. The third stone's echo whispers softly and you think it is enchantment at first- which doesn't fit with the symbols, so you listen more carefully to the whispers to be sure and find the clear sound of necromancy- complex necromancy which you are sure was somehow as malevolent as the symbols upon the pillar.

    Lastly you turn to the central column and for a moment your mind draws a blank. You are overwhelmed by a single aura. It bares no explanation, but unlike the others it is still there...

    On another note, Sadie seems to be wrapped in a faint aura of illusion, Valline guarded by a similarly faint aura of abjuration. Cath's axe suffers from a clear case of faint Evocationitis, but that's not very interestng.


    -------------
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the commoners that sense the doom! The commoners I say!
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    "Alright everyone! Can you gather round? I have some information to share... and I want opinions on what you all want to do with it! Chandor shouts finally as he returns to the entrance to the clearing.



    If everyone comes to listen, Chandor relates his experiences. "I've found out several things, enough to make even me hesitate a little. First thing, is that this is all magic, like I said. But not only is it magic, its the most powerful magic I have ever seen. I would never expect to see anything like this even at the academy. We must be careful, because while I have an idea what they could be for, I by no means know for certain."

    Taking a breath Chandor continues. "Each column has inscriptions on it. I was only able to read two of them, but they follow a similar form and I get the gist of what the third one says. The first column was built to hide the central, the second column was built to protect it, and the third column has a menacing touch to the writing. There is no magic left in the three columns, all that had imbued them has gone to the central column. The second column is shrouded in abjuration, protective magic, and the third column is shrouded in necromancy, life draining and undeath creating magic."

    "With this information I guess that had I been able to divine the weaves on the first column I probably would have seen illusion, as that is normally the magic used to hide something, but it possibly could have transmutation if the hiding was physical. The third column probably was built to attack anybody coming to the column, through some means."
    Smiling grimly Chandor sighs and rubs his eyes.

    "All of this together basically means that the central column is incredibly dangerous. The true nature of it is probably hidden from us right now, access to whatever it is meant to protect or contain is probably barred from us completely, and even attempting to find out about the column will probably either result in our lives being drained from us, or the dead walking and attacking us. So what are your opinions on what we should do? This is the opportunity of a lifetime but I am aware of the dangers, so currently I am neutral on this. This might not even be what we are looking for, though it certainly is something of great importance." Chandor finishes as he looks expectantly towards the group.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline

    He certainly knows his magic, Valline thought to herself as she carefully listened to his every word. He seemed to go on for some time, but when he was finally finished, she took a small step closer and extended a hand in explanation.

    "Well, we can hardly just turn around and go home. Not after we've come this far," she noted before giving a cautious glance around the clearing and adding, "Besides, I'm convinced that we wouldn't be let back home even if we wanted to."

    A moment later, and she was back to her proud self, putting a hand on her hip and throwing a finger into the air as she continued, "It's obvious that we were brought here for a reason. All we have to do is figure out what that reason is."
    Last edited by Zarah; 2009-12-14 at 08:09 PM.

    "I'm just the cool, handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother."
    [ Star Wars Year 41: Unity | Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II! ]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath

    Cath flashes another gap-toothed grin as he lightly bounces from foot to foot to keep limber and fight the cold.
    "Well now, I have no doubt a wise man would say that we should leave this place be and run for home. Naturally, I am of the opposite opinion entirely- I want to delve into the nature of this here mystery, and come home with the prize. Whether this be the place the elf meant to send us or not, I have little doubt there is something of value being protected here- it is just a question if we are clever- or at least lucky- enough to find it, and then live to profit from it. I say why not try- if our lives were really all that dear to us, would we be out here in the first place, risking life and limb based on a vague promise from a complete stranger?”
    Last edited by Gecks; 2009-12-14 at 11:19 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    Listening to Chandor, Sadie looked back at the giant stone columns. There had been a tent nearby, but no occupant; the stones reeked of magic; and the outer pillars had all been drained.

    "I think they might act as some sort of teleportation device..."
    she mumbled lightly to herself, before looking at the others.

    "I found a tent there, but I couldn't see any signs that there was anyone near it; plus, all the basic supplies were relatively unused. Its possible that this is the entrance to wherever the diadem, or however it's pronounced, is."


    Looking back at the column, Sadie scrunched up a snowball in her hands, debating tossing it at the central column.

    "Although they could've just been killed by whatever magic there is, although I guess there'd be a body if that was true..."


    Drifting off into a quiet tone on the last remark, Sadie looked at the giant pillar with puzzlement in her eyes.

    "Well, we're probably safe as long as we're not right in the middle of them."


    Winding her arm back, Sadie threw the snowball at the central column, slightly bracing herself for any oncoming magic.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Snowball thrown, attack roll in dice thread if you insist on it.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2009-12-15 at 06:11 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Sadie's Supreme Stupidity, alas, is not fatal. Is it even stupid if you are alive?

    The party gather round not far from the white columns that rise from the snows and draw themselves against the trees. Whilst it is clear that they have stumbled upon quite a find, that most mages of the academy (and probably most other mages of the civilised world) would drool over for years to come if they were to find out about it, it is not quite as clear what you should do about it and how to go about exploring it without suffering the most hideous and heinous of consequences. Then Sadie unexpectedly comes up with a solution....

    Sadie: Scooping up a handful of snow, you consilidate it and with a practiced motion lob it at the central column. It is quite a distance, but the column is quite large and not very fast, and the snowball, having arced through the air, impacts solidly, fragmenting into many small chunks and a cloud of white dust. The snow falls to the ground, and your hand feels cold and damp. Nothing else noteworthy happens....

    Valline: As you fight down the feeling of foreboding and utter your words of wisdom, your companion does something incredibly unwise. As the snowball flies, you are sure that the silence around you deepens further, and every living creature holds its breath- an illusion born of anxiety perhaps- perhaps you even see your life flash before your eyes... You are also sure that somewhere far far away you are sure that you heard the spirit of good sense rolls in its grave... It has a gruff male voice and it speaks in common.... You snap to, but all is quiet again. You think back for a second to what happened.

    As Sadie threw the snowball at the column, you heard a gruff, muffled exclamation come from the edge of the forest somewhere behind you....
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline

    As soon as Valline had heard the voice, she had spun around the other way to find its source, but all she could see was the line of trees marking the end of the clearing. Her eyes narrowed as she strained for any kind of clue, then she began to take a few cautious steps closer. With every crunch through the snow, her hand found its way to her mace and lifted it from her belt, moving slowly to avoid too much attention.

    "Anyone else hear that?" she asked, half-turning her head back toward them, but not stopping her advance of the treeline. Once she was a little closer, she peered in again to hopefully make sense of the strange voice.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Making a spot check, rolling in dice thread...

    "I'm just the cool, handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother."
    [ Star Wars Year 41: Unity | Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II! ]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Chandor

    "Hear what?" Chandor asks with a slightly strained voice as he reaches to his vest and takes hold of one of the vials.

    Turning towards the woods where Sadie is looking Chandor says toher nearly in a whisper "It could be teleportation, but from what we've seen I guess that the reason there are no remains is that whatever necromancy is in the column destroyed them, either through reprocessing or through decay. Depending on what this is, we'll investigate further. At least we know inanimate objects don't get destroyed in contact with the column."
    Last edited by Aecus; 2009-12-16 at 06:49 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath

    Cath's grin widens as he takes several rapid- yet exaggeratedly casual- steps to come beside Valline, resting his hands on his hips and trying- not very convincingly- to take on the aspect of a man casually drinking in a pleasant winter scene.

    Yes, yes, I heard that too... probably harmless enough, or we'd already know otherwise, but in any case a problem more suited to a man of my limited talents than whatever magic dwells in those columns. Friend or foe, this fine fellow might be our best chance to learn more about whatever is going on here- if we play our cards right. For now, lets take a long look along that treeline and see if our new best friend decides to show himself...

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    Hearing Valline, Sadie turned around and followed the other's suit, looking amongst the trees for the sign of whatever had caused the noise as well of pulling out a dart from her waist into her hand, then uttering a brief nod of acceptance at Chandor and his theory.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently my intent to make a spot check was spotted and taken care of.
    Also wielding dart now so no draw actions for me in case.
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2009-12-16 at 12:42 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline: You approach the trees, lifting your mace, ready to bring it down on anything that may rush out from behind a tree, or drop from the branches, or rise from under the snows. You move closer to the line of trees but all is both still and silent.

    Cath: Your years of wondering around, fighting monsters, protecting caravans, and generally making a meat-shield out of yourself have taught you many things- of them one sticks out now- don't let them wonder off on their own. So you accompany Valline, but despite your best efforts neither hear, nor see anything noteworthy. A raven flies quite high over the edge of the clearings and disappears behind the trees.

    Sadie: You too ready yourself and turn your eyes to the forest, your gaze drifting over the snows, over the impenetrable mass of green-but it hides its secrets well and you see only the trunks and the leaves that go on as far as the eye can see.

    Chandor: Your reasoning is lost amongst the suspicion, as you reach for something. Presumably something flammable. However, the only flammable objects around here are the trees...

    ------------------
    Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: You are can retry sport checks .... Also, is Sadie looking from the clearing into the trees or going into the trees to look...
    Last edited by Leush; 2009-12-16 at 01:38 PM.
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    Loosening her tense stance, Sadie took another glance around the trees.

    "Maybe you were just hearing things." she mumbled quietly, although she still did a double take to be sure.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Go go gadget respot!

    Also, keeping her distance from the trees but only as much as being just in range for dart throwing (ie. 20ft)
    Last edited by Slamexo; 2009-12-16 at 03:59 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline

    Valline turned her head toward Sadie with a strange look on her face before replying with, "Maybe you're right. I am a little on edge..."

    "...But I was sure I heard something," she added, once more straining her eyes as she continued to peer beyond the trees.
    Last edited by Zarah; 2009-12-16 at 04:07 PM.

    "I'm just the cool, handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother."
    [ Star Wars Year 41: Unity | Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II! ]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Chandor

    "It is one thing to 'just hear things' when one is doing mundane tasks. It is altogether another to 'just hear things' after one has pelted one of the most powerful magical artifacts in the world with a snowball." Chandor says as he retreats slightly further back into the clearing, a few yards behind everyone else.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Leush's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline: You continue looking nervously into the woods, but anything that may be there is still not visible... Perhaps it is a trick of the mind, or maybe, as Chandor suggested, a trick of the white column. In the corner of your eyes, Sadie is still creeping towards the ege of the forest.

    ....

    What happens next happens very very quickly. There is a rustle in the woods, maybe not fifty feet from where Sadie stopped, and a gruff voice utters a soothing word, clear as the crisp winter air. As your eyes snap towards where the voice was uttered, you see a man, tall and hooded, his white robe flying open as he extends his hand in the direction of the Rogue who instantly crumples upon the snow.

    Sadie: You hear the man speak the word and whirl to face him. His face is instantly impressed upon your eyes- a harsh face, neither particularly young, nor old, cold green eyes stare into yours. His finger lifts to point directly at you. For a moment you catch a glimpse of the sash he wears upon the furs beneath his cloak. It is too late, however, for you to save yourself and you feel the world growing light and distant- you try to return, but it seems that your heart is not in it and all goes black. The last thing you remember is the chill, yet somehow comforting touch of the snows.
    What Sadie Learns:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a buckle upon the sash wrought in bronze. Upon it there is a silver triangle, upon that a golden tower, upon that a platinum dagger, point down. The symbol of the Hunters of Mio Hall- the upper echelon of Avin's Homeguard. You know of them, because there were two major criminal networks in Dimal before they came. They were dangerous, but survivable, since your folk had somehow evaded capture, but they were not to be triffled with. If they had come here, then whatever they were chasing (could it be yourself?) was considered a very dangerous criminal indeed. They usually hunt in threes, with several ordinary guards to mop up and act as diversions or fodder.


    .......

    Before anyone has time to act again, the man turns to Valline and speaks the word again.... But nothing happens.

    --------------------------------------------
    Your initiatives are rolled.

    Surprise [Round]!
    -21 Mage- Sleep on Sadie- (Rolled 6 vs DC 16)

    Round 1:
    -21 Mage- Sleep on Valline (Edit: Rolled 23 vs DC 16)
    -20 Chandor-
    -9 Valline-
    -8 Sadie- (Currently asleep)
    -5 Cath-
    Last edited by Leush; 2009-12-16 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail...
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Valline

    It had all happened so quickly, but Valline was still quick with her hands. She quickly managed to shake off the magic the man had thrown at her, then reached a hand to the side and lightly touched Cath. After closing her eyes and whispering a short chant, she imbued him with divine energy, then pulled her hand back and reached to her back. In a single movement, she had swung her heavy shield around into a ready position, then waited for the next move.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Valline is casting Resistance on Cath and equipping her shield as a move action.

    I know it isn't my turn yet, but I'll be working tomorrow morning, and I don't want to hold up the game any more than I have to, so any of Chandor's actions will occur before Valline's. If somehow, the situation changes enough to make my actions contradictory, then I'll catch up as soon as I get off work, and you can feel free to ignore this post.

    "I'm just the cool, handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother."
    [ Star Wars Year 41: Unity | Into the West: Let's Play Oregon Trail II! ]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Reacting with a speed born of dodging self-made explosives Chandor burst into reaction. Running forward, the man started to chant his own invocations. Speaking deeply into the language of magic, Chandor reaches into one of his pouches and pulls out a small spider web as he runs. Holding his hand outstretched he holds the web up into the air, and then drops it. However instead of obeying gravity the web starts to rotate, and shine.

    Suddenly the web bursts into flame, and as it does a tremendous explosion of strands of webbing burst into appearance around the caster. Each strand is many times thicker than a spider's silk, and yet there are a vast amount more of them than in any normal spider's web. The web envelops the man, though whether he is caught or merely surprised by the sticky strands is yet to be seen.

    "I will catch him and give us time to retaliate! Everyone prepare for it! We should capture him alive if we can!" Chandor yells as the web bursts into apperance.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Move Action: Get in line of site.

    Standard Action: Cast Web, DC 17 Reflex Save, with the caster at its center so that he has the most possible distance to move between any point, and so that we have complete concealment from him (and him from us.)

    The web is anchored to the trees.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Cath

    Seeing Sadie collapse in a heap after the mage cast his spell, not knowing if she was stunned, hurt, or killed, Cath is at first so overwhelmed by rage that he does not feel Valline’s touch on his shoulder or the warm energy of the spell she cast. However, when Chandor calls out a request to capture the mage alive- and, perhaps more importantly, obscures the mage with webbing so that Cath can no longer see the object of his anger- he gives his head a quick shake and decides to spend his energy on something more productive.

    Okay, Callaghan, calm down and check on the lass. If she’s alive, then I guess that means the bloody sneaky snake can live to. If she’s dead- well, in that case I hope Valline has one of them spells that lets clerics speak with the dead, because the villian won't breath longer than the time it takes me to get him within arm's reach!

    With that, Cath tucks his head down and begins sprinting as quickly as he can in through the snow, towards the spot where Sadie fell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move action towards Sadie. Move is 2x15’=30’, so I should reach her by the end of my move unless the snow counts as difficult terrain, in which case I am probably a little short.
    Last edited by Gecks; 2009-12-17 at 11:24 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Slamexo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lost Lantern

    Sadie

    Sadie continues to lie peacefully in the snow; the only movement she makes is the occasional shift in her sleep.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sadie is too busy being predisposed with being useless this turn to use any actions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •