New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Song of Death [IC]

"Excellent. Now, tell me. Do any of you know where we are or why we are here?"

The dwarf speaks as he raises an ornate brass wand tipped with an elaborately wrought clawed paw. Green fire blazes within the claw's clutches, coruscating about the rod's haft. He looks average enough, but there's something...wrong about him, something off. It might simply be the eerie illumination. Reaching into his pack, he draws out an iron rod carven to look like three snakes coiling together. Their ruby eyes gleam menacingly, glaring hungrily into the distance.

(The iron rod is the Bloodcurse Rod, Deadly. I'll have it out and ready.)
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the others cut eachother free, Eitri spent time glancing through his Spellbook, looking over his Hammer, and checking his gear. Most everything checked out - his Spellbook was still in good condition, his hammer was stained with the blood of madmen and worse, and his armor was scratched and a little torn in places, but still functional - except for his Torch. The Dwarf groaned in frustration. It was just the thing to lose, of course. Hopefully, someone else would have one with them. Of course, he could simply cast a quick Evocation and call a few lights into being, but perhaps it was best to get everyone together first, and take stock of what everyone had.

Someone lit a torch; another Dwarf, it seemed. Eitri cocked an eye, "Hrmph"ing in mild surprise, before he caught sight of the bones and the bodies. The little party was to be something's meal, then. The webs had suggested as much... something was in the way, then, between the crew of survivors in front of him and the way out. Best to take stock in what everyone had, and what everyone could do.

"Well," he said, swinging his hammer arm in another stretch, answering the other Dwarf, "are we all from the same place here? Vasav? Did anyone else hear the..." He would have said "voices", but the thought made him shudder, reminding him that something was at work here.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was in Vasav, yes. And then the void swallowed me and I woke here. Interrupted my during a very important task, too..."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri growled. There's a good lot more important than your bloody "task" that got ruined in the city, y'cold bastard. He kept the thought to himself though, and gruffly shouldered past him. "What about the rest of yeh? Same place, same 'void' that got all've us?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

As he stands up, Ráslím looks around the room, eyes darting take in what he can see. A small, bright colored figure climbs out of one of his pockets, clambering up to his shoulder. Used to this unwanted intrusion, Ráslím simply ignores him. He's none of these. For shame.

"I was in Vasav. Just got there, then the madness hit." Ráslím shuddered. "It was like..." He stops, not wanting to think about it. Cocking his head at the dwarves, he asks, "What happened to you? Someone shrink you?"
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri glanced at the speaker sardonically, cocking an eye. Yeh, that's exactly what happened! They also gave us th'same accent, stubby thick fingers, and huge beards! We're so confused righ' now, please help us! Under any other circumstance, the Dwarf would have laughed and blurted out something witty. As it were, he grinned and held in a chuckle. "Mmm, no lad. We're Dwarves, y'see. Don't worry about messin' up th'race, though, we're none too common 'round your parts. Y'can call me Eitri Ragnhallr. An' you?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cai shrugs. "I was there, looking for something. Then the madness hit. The last thing I remember is suddenly feeling cold and numb. Then I feel from a tower and there were the..." She fades off into silence and shudders again. "My names Cai by the way."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

"Dwarves? Once saw some creatures like you. Then i didn't. Strange things..." Ráslím rambles, remembering slightly more cheerful times. "I'm Ráslím." Now frustrated at the small figure on his shoulder, he knocks it over on the ground behind him.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri nodded, sighing pensively. "Once more, I'm Eitri, pleased t'meet yeh both." Eitri nodded, bowing a little before popping open a pocket in his belt, taking a handkerchief and tearing it lengthwise, hammer hanging at his belt again as he started tieing it around his head like a headband, tight over a cut. "Looks like we're all a might cut up a' sorts... I'm assumin' that th'same things that got me're th'same that got yeh two?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"Presumably, since we're all here. My name is Grimnir, son of Aurun."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri finally finishes his prayer, only to realize that there are others moving around and talking near him. He opens his eyes, glancing about quickly. Seeing the apparently-sane people free, he calls out to them. "Excuse me, might one of you free me as well?"

After being set free, Ngeri stands up and brushes himself off. He looks at the others and nods politely to each of them. "Thank you. I don't suppose anyone has seen a shield laying about, have you?" He frowns as he checks through his pockets and his backpack. Sighing in relief at finding his gear, he pulls out a mace in one hand and a holy symbol of the Nightingale in the other.

"Might I suggest we get out before whatever spun all this comes back?"
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

"And which way do you posit is 'out' then?" The tall, as yet unnamed lycanthrope asked the question calmly. With the light actually on him now, he looked even worse than he had in the shadows. He seemed made of little more than sinew and bone, and his sword seemed far sturdier than he did. In the light, it was clear his clothing consisted of plain clothes, bordering on rags. Of the large sword he'd been swinging, there was no sign.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

There isn't much in the cave, admittedly. Only the two remaining corpses, of which one seems like it's been there forever while the other may be more recent although it doesn't move or call out so presumably is just as dead. A quick glance doesn't reveal much about them, not least of all because of the webs covering everything, but the recent one looks like a man, a lycanthrope wearing a golden tunic.

As for an exit, one could hope the apparent tunnel is really a tunnel and that it leads out, but it's hard to tell and either way it's not easily reached without a climb or the like.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

The apparent holy man seems very bedraggled: his plain clothes are ripped and covered in blood, some of which is apparently his own. His defeated posture makes him seem shorter than his average height. Walking over to the body in the golden tunic, he does a quick check on the body to see if he possibly still lives.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri sighed. "Don't bother checkin'em, fer a pulse, lad. They're deader'an we are, an'fer that we're either lucky'r blessed." It was a pity that those two had died so far in already... but something had killed them, and he had no idea how long it was before they came back. It was time to get down to business, take stock of what they all had, what they could do, and get their way out.

Eitri cleared his throat with a gruff cough. "Alrigh'... now, I can assume that we're all pretty bent on gettin' outta'ere b'fore whatever got those two unlucky gentleman gets us righ' back, do yeh kennit, so I figure we should at least start t'pool our supplies, our specialities, see what each've us can do. I'm a scholar of sorts m'self, though people tend to get the wrong idea when I tell'em what I do." He smiled grimly, swinging his hammer about by the wrist. "What about everyone else? An' can somebody check th'bodies fer anythin' useful? We need t'talk, but we ain't got time to palaver, far as I'm concerned." Already, Eitri had flicked a few Sunrods from his pack, handing one to the ragged Lycan, the other to the Human woman. His eyes worked well enough in the dark. "Names'd be nice as well, if none of yeh mind. We're gonna need t'stay organized, little hard to do when y'can't call someone out. We need to start movin' and get ourselves into an effective team immediately. I can fight, if need be, but I'm not in the best condition, and neither are any ah you by the looks of it, so let's be brisk, yeh?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri sighs as he goes through the corpse's things, looking for anything of use. He glances up at the dwarf at the mention of names. "My name is Ngeri, devoted priest of the Nightingale. I'm not much of one for combat, but I do have some small skill in healing. I can help a few of you do just that before we head out."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The young man's golden tunic was once quite fine and no doubt exceedingly expensive but is now torn and worthless. He's wearing a dark cape of a similarly fine quality and much better condition, as well as a quiver with a few arrows in it. No sign of any bow, however. What catches the eye, though, is a notebook which he almost seems to be clinging to even in death. As Ngeri kneels down beside the man to get a better look, he could have sworn that the corpse was still breathing slowly. Before he can check it, the body almost erupts as a swarm of tiny, eight-legged creeps surge forth from the mouth, eyes and chest of the corpse with a sickening sound. As they surge forth the little creeps bite at the cleric, but fortunately Ngeri is quick to pull back from the sudden attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative time.

Ngeri is slowed until the start of his next turn.

The white stuff on the map (sorry for the crude drawing, it was a little quick and I'm still trying to get used to Inkscapes antics) is web. That area is difficult terrain (each square costs 2 squares of movement). Anyone entering a square of web must make an Athletics or Acrobatics check DC 20 or become immobilized. It also provides conceilment.

C: Cáï - Init 31
    W: Spider Swarm
    Er: Ericr - Init 25
    N: Ngeri - Init 24, slowed
    G: Grimnir - Init 24
    Ei: Eitri - Init 19
    R: Ráslím - Init 9
    Last edited by Deadly; 2009-12-15 at 05:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

(1d20+13)[31]

Cai's reflex's take ever as she quickly draws and looses an arrow into the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor:
    Designate Spiders as Quarry
    Standard:
    Range Basic Attack, normal arrow
    (1d20+16)[29]
    (1d10+10)[14]
    (2d8)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri grasps his holy symbol and, with a quick prayer, causes the swarm to be outlined in silver light as he backs away from the creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Astral Seal on the swarm. -2 to all defenses until end of my next turn. Next ally to hit the swarm gets 9 hp. Shifting one square straight back.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2009-12-15 at 12:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

deleted - needlessly confrontational.

edit - see initiative discussion in ooc board.
    Last edited by nepphi; 2009-12-15 at 12:31 PM.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Seconded. In the future, it's better to have the initiative order settled first. Makes things smoother.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir hisses at the spiders "Mists take you all!" and raises his torch. The shadows near the spiders begin to whisper and reach towards them hungrily...

Spoiler
    Show

Minor action: Warlock's Curse on the spider swarm.

Standard action: Frigid Darkness [Arcane, Cold, Fear].
    To hit: (1d20+11)[29] vs. fort
    Damage: (1d6)[1] Warlock's Curse +(2d8+3)[14] Cold +1 Empowering Shadows +4 Rods
    Effect: Victim grants Combat Advantage and takes a -4 penalty to initiative for 1 round.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2009-12-15 at 05:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï lets lose an arrow at the swarm. The arrow flies unhindered through the webs to pierce a few spiders in its path.

The spiders waste no time in assaulting Ngeri again, finding a hole in his defenses and sinking their fangs into his soft flesh. The tiny bites sting terribly and Ngeri can feel the vile poison in his blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    14 damage to swarm from Cáï.

6 necrotic damage to Ngeri, who is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing necrotic and poison damage (save ends both).

Map hasn't changed. Ericr, Ngeri and Grimnir (if you want to change your actions) gets to act now, the rest should wait.

C: Cáï - Init 31, 37 hp
    W: Swarm - Barely hurt, Cáï's quarry
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 51 hp
    N: Ngeri - Init 24, 23 hp, slowed, immobilized + 5 ongoing necrotic and poison
    G: Grimnir - Init 24, 39 hp
    Ei: Eitri - Init 19, 47 hp
    R: Ráslím - Init 9, 32 hp
    Last edited by Deadly; 2009-12-15 at 06:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Immediate Reaction to Ngeri getting bitten:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Life Syphon: +2 to my next attack and I recover 4 hp

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Ericr moved with a purpose as combat was joined. His hand snapped out and his massive sword appeared. Then with a ripple, he was gone. In his place was Ngeri, while Ericr stood where the cleric had, his sword swinging down into the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor action to retrieve the fullblade, five foot step to move toward Ngeri, then standard action Benign Transposition to trade places with Ngeri and attack the spiders.

25 to hit vs AC, 13 damage.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: Went out of turn.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Grimnir hisses at the spiders "Mists take you all!" and raises his torch. The shadows near the spiders begin to whisper and reach towards them hungrily...

Spoiler
    Show

Minor action: Warlock's Curse on the spider swarm.

Standard action: Frigid Darkness [Arcane, Cold, Fear].
    To hit: [roll0] vs. fort
    Damage: [roll1] Warlock's Curse +[roll2] Cold +1 Empowering Shadows +4 Rods
    Effect: Victim grants Combat Advantage and takes a -4 penalty to initiative for 1 round.
    Grimnir will stick with this.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Ericr resolutely brings Ngeri out of harms way and takes his place in the swarm of tiny spiders. Following up with a mighty swing from his blade, the paladin slices a few spiders in half.

Ngeri calls upon the light of the goddess on the enemy even as he is transported out of harms way. The poison in his wound fades.

Grimnir raises his torch in a dark assault upon the spiders.

Even before everyone have completely realised the situation, a sudden moaning heralds the rising of the two corpses draped in webs. The corpse of the young man from which the spiders emerged rises next to Ericr and lashes out at the paladin with a powerful fist. Without his armor to protect him the mummy delivers a sickening blow to the paladin, who feels the touch of its taint.

The other corpse shambles towards Ráslím.

Among the fighting and moaning, Cáï notices something large trying to hide in the webs and darkness up near the supposed tunnel. She can't see what it is, but something large certainly moved.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 damage to spider swarm from Ericr, and he and Ngeri trade places

Ngeri makes his save against immobilized and ongoing damage.

12 damage to spiders from Grimnir. Grimnir regains 9 hp from Ngeri's power.

8 necrotic damage to Ericr from mummy, and is diseased (although apparently that's not resolved until after the encounter )

Eitri, Ráslím and Cáï gets to act now.

C: Cáï - Init 31, 37 hp
    W: Swarm - Hurt, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, -2 defenses until end of Ngeri's next turn, grants combat advantage and -4 AC until end of Grimnir's turn
    Something - Hiding in the dark, not on map
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 43 hp
    N: Ngeri - Init 24, 23 hp
    G: Grimnir - Init 24, 48 hp
    1: Mummy - Unharmed
    2: Mummy - Unharmed
    Ei: Eitri - Init 19, 47 hp
    R: Ráslím - Init 9, 32 hp
    Last edited by Deadly; 2009-12-16 at 12:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Cai calls out a warning that somethings moving in the tunnel before moving to get a better angle on the mummy by Ráslím.

Spoiler
    Show

Free: Call out warning
    Move: One square left, 23 acrobatics
    Minor: Designate Second quarry
    Standard: Range Basic attack against Mummy 1
    26 vs. AC, 20 total damage
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri growls at the appearance of more walking corpses and nods an acknowledgment at Cai's warning, tearing through the web to the edge of the cavern, pointing the hammer at the shambling corpse attacking Ericr, and muttering a keyword under his breath. A light blue sigil on the head of his hammer glows, and it crackles with sparks. With his free hand, he gets ready to extends his Aegis, and searches his head for anything he might know about these creatures. "Be careful, everyone! I suspect there might be more'v'em in the webs, an' the spiders 'r small enough t'hide innem!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Eitri moves one square up and one square diagonally up and to the right, ending in square 9-K. Athletics roll: 1d20+8=22.
    Standard Action: Lightning Lure against Mummy 2. Int vs. Fort roll: 1d20+13=20. Damage: 1d6+5=9 The Corpse is pulled to nearest adjacent square, 8-K.
    Minor: Aegis of Shielding is placed on Mummy 2. The Mummy is Marked, and takes a -2 to attack rolls against anyone other than myself. Also, Eitri may do his Immediate Interrupt against the target on its turn as long as it is subject to his Mark.
    Free actions: Arcane Monster Knowledge checks against the Spiders and Corpses, respectively: 22, and 20. Dungeoneering Monster Knowledge checks against the Spiders and the Corpses, respectively: 17 and 19. Perception Check to see if Eitri can spot enemy creatures and corpses in the webbing: 24.