New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Song of Death [IC]

Ericr's sword slashes through the mummy beside him as he gives up trying to get free from the webs.

Ngeri begins to move towards Ericr, but is foiled by the sticky webs. His plan ruined before it could even begin, the cleric instead settles on searing just the mummy. Unfortunately luck is really against him, and the light just barely misses the mummy by an inch.

Grimnir shines a dire light upon the mummy, searing it with the cold, radiant light.

The mummy, now looking ready to crumble and fall apart, spins around to swing its claws at Ericr. Apparently these things just can't hit a thing, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    10 radiant damage to mummy from Ericr.

Don't forget Acrobatics checks when you move. Since Ngeri can't use Divine Glow from afar, I used Sacred Flame instead, using the first set of attack/damage rolls.

Allies never provide cover to your enemies. 16 damage to mummy from Grimnir. It grants CA on Grimnir's next attack.

Both Ngeri and Grimnir are immobilized by the webs. Same Acrobatics DC (20) to get free.

I swear the die don't favor these mummies, they must be hexed or something.

Eitri, Ráslím and Cáï's turn.

Map hasn't changed.

C: Cáï - Init 31, 37 hp, 8 tmp hp
    S: Spider - Wounded, cursed by Grimnir, marked by Eitri
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 57 hp, +1 defences*, +2 damage, +4 regen while bloodied, restrained + vulnerable 5 necrotic, can't use second wind
    N: Ngeri - Init 24, 18 hp, 8 tmp hp, immobilized
    G: Grimnir - Init 24, 52 hp, darkspiral aura 2 pts, 8 tmp hp, +1 defences*, immobilized
    2: Mummy - Near Death, Marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, CA go Grimnir on his next attack
    Ei: Eitri - Init 19, 47 hp, +1 defences*, 8 tmp hp
    R: Ráslím - Init 9, 32 hp, +1 defences*, 8 tmp hp

* Ericr and all within 3 sqaures of him gain +1 to all defences.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cai let's a small grin touch her lips as the mummy burns up. She moves to get a better angle on the spider, trying not to get stuck on the webbing. Then she sets her sights on the spider and lets two arrows go in rapid succession.

Spoiler
    Show

Move E12
    Minor: Mark Spider as Quarry
    Biting Volley: 19 and 31 vs Ref
    17 damage on first, 18 on second
    Quarry: 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir struggles against the webs, to no avail. "Mists take it all! As the Ancestors are my witnesses, I am going to burn these all the moment we're done here!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sigh...Acrobatics fails me again.

Dire Radiance on the spider.

Attack: (1d20+11)[30]

Damage: (1d6+3)[4] Radiant +(1d6)[2] Warlock's Curse +1 Empowering Shadows +4 Rods.

Effects: Damage again if it comes any closer, and it grants my next attack Combat Advantage.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2009-12-21 at 03:54 PM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím once again tries to attack the spider with his illusions, this time crafting a large shadow beast to chase it back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Got a 19 vs Will for my Phantom bolt attack, which probably doesn't hit. If it does, it deals 6 damage and I will slide the spider directly away from me one square. It would also grant CA to the next ally to attack it before the start of my next turn, and to me until the end of my next turn.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri swings his hammer again, hoping to break the Mummy in front of him. Hopefully, this would allow the others to focus their attacks completely on the Spider.

Spoiler
    Show
    : Agh, the dice roller hates me! 21 on the attack roll against the Mummy. 11 damage on it, 9 more if it moves.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Eitri swings his hammer at the mummy to deliver a blow... just barely. The mummy sways and looks like a tree about to fall at the slightest breeze.

Ráslim fires an imaginary bolt at the spider, but the beast seems entirely unimpressed.

Round 6
    Cáï moves into position before firing two shots at the spider. The first arrow goes way off, but the second strikes true against the beast.

The spider spews its webs at Cáï this time, wrapping her in sticky threads, then steps back in to snap at Ericr. The paladin almost manages to evade the bite, but the restraints get in the way and the spider manages to get past his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    11 damage to mummy from Eitri. 9 more if it moves.

18 and 9 damage to spider from Cáï.

Cáï is restrained and gains vulnerable 5 necrotic (save ends both)

10 damage to Ericr plus 10 ongoing necrotic and poison (with the 5 from the vulnerability, thats 35 damage total this round), and he is dazed (save ends both dazed and ongoing damage). So Ericr needs to make two seperate saves at the end of his turn, one for dazed + ongoing and one for restrained + vulnerability.

Ericr, Ngeri and Grimnir's turn.

C: Cáï - Init 31, 37 hp, 8 tmp hp, restrained + vulnerable 5 necrotic
    S: Spider - Wounded, cursed by Grimnir, marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 22 hp, +1 defences*, +2 damage, +4 regen while bloodied, restrained + vulnerable 5 necrotic, dazed + ongoing 10 necrotic and poison, can't use second wind
    G: Grimnir - Init 24, 52 hp, darkspiral aura 2 pts, 8 tmp hp, +1 defences*, immobilized
    2: Mummy - Almost dead, Marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, CA to Grimnir on his next attack, 9 damage if it moves

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Grimnir struggles against the webs, to no avail. "Mists take it all! As the Ancestors are my witnesses, I am going to burn these all the moment we're done here!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sigh...Acrobatics fails me again.

Dire Radiance on the spider.

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] Radiant +[roll2] Warlock's Curse +1 Empowering Shadows +4 Rods.

Effects: Damage again if it comes any closer, and it grants my next attack Combat Advantage.
    I'll keep this.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri scowls grimly as the Spider makes its attack against the Paladin, one hand extending the Aegis as the other pulls his hammer back in preparation of an uppercut swing. Runes glow on the backs of both of his hands, on his hammer, and even on his forehead. "OH NO y'don't!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immediately Interrupting the Spider's Attack on Ericr. Eitri uses Transposing Lunge. The spider is teleported to squares I,J-6,7, and Eitri rolls 26 for 15 damage, all before it can attack. If it attacks, and hits, he uses his Aegis of Shielding to reduce the damage by 20. Ericr takes no damage and has no effects thrown on him, the power having interrupted the Spider's attack, whether or not it hits or misses. Also, accidentally rolled in this thread first. Edited it and deleted it.

* post roll count doesn't match database

9. - Top - End - #99

Cai fires another arrow in conjunction with Grimnir's bolt.

Spoiler
    Show

Combined fire: 28 vs. AC
    Damage: 30
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri holds forth his holy symbol, casting a burst of holy flame at the spider.

Spoiler
    Show

Sacred Flame 23 vs Reflex. 10 radiant vs the spider. Erirc can make a saving throw or gain 7 temp hp.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2009-12-22 at 10:59 PM.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Eitri steps in just in time to spoil all the spider's fun and save Ericr from a lot of pain and suffering. The spider looks most displeased, giving Eitri a look that plainly says he's in for a lot of hurt now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Resolving Eitri's immediate reaction now, so that Ericr (and others) can know what to do or not to do

Everything that happened to Ericr is canceled. No damage, no dazed. Ah well.

Cáï is still affected by the webs, since they occured before the interrupt.

Alright, resuming regular order. I don't think anyone needs to change their actions, so just waiting for Ericr.

S: Spider - Wounded, cursed by Grimnir, marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 57 hp, +1 defences*, +2 damage, +4 regen while bloodied, restrained + vulnerable 5 necrotic, can't use second wind
    2: Mummy - Near Death, Marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, CA to Grimnir on his next attack, 9 damage if it moves

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Ericr challenges the spider to fight him as he raises his holy symbol in a burst of just and radiant light. Sadly, the spider ignores the holy light, and the paladin is still as stuck in the webs as before.

Ngeri likewise holds up his holy symbol and burns the horrid spider with its radiant flames, granting Ericr a second chance. This time the paladin tears himself free from the webs, ready to smite his enemies once again.

Grimnir brings his own cold radiance to bear against the spider, searing it in dire starlight. As he does, Cáï fires an arrow which strikes true against the monster.

The mummy strikes desperately at the closest thing to it, but there's just no hope for the thing anymore and the webbed fist misses the target completely.

Spoiler
    Show
    10 radiant damage to spider from Ngeri, and Ericr gains another saving throw.

11 damage to spider from Grimnir.

30 damage to spider from Cáï.

Eitri, Ráslím and Cáï's turn.

Map hasn't changed.

S: Spider - Bloodied, cursed by Grimnir, marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Challenged by Ericr, 4 damage if it moves, CA to grimnir's next attack
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 57 hp, +1 defences*, +2 damage, +4 regen while bloodied, can't use second wind
    2: Mummy - Bloodied, Marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Cursed by Grimnir, CA to Grimnir on his next attack

13. - Top - End - #103

Cai continues her relentless barrage of arrows against the spider.

Spoiler
    Show

Range Basic: 19 vs Ac
    Damage: 11 + 12 quarry = 23
    Saved from restrained
    Still vulnerable
    Last edited by Emlyn; 2009-12-27 at 01:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri smiles grimly. The ragtag group has them now. That said, being cornered by a giant spider and a walking corpse wasn't exactly the best of circumstances... with a practiced sigh and effort of mental concentration, Eitri squeezes the haft of his hammer, as the runes on his forehead, hands, and hammer glow with an Eldritch energy before making a mighty swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eitri uses Aegis Sigil against the Spider. The attack roll is 32, with 22 damage. Spider is Marked; does not dispell previous mark if someone else has marked it. Nobody has, so... eh.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

Frustrated at his previous failed attempts, Ráslím gathers his focus for a larger spell, perhaps pulling in a bit of his other-worldly powers as well. Grasping appendages reach up from the ground near the spider, grabbing at anyone in the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grasping shadows, centered on I7
    Attack against the spider, 32 vs will.
    Attack against the mummy, 19 vs will.
    Anything it hit takes 14 damage and is slowed, anything that enters I7 or any adjacent squares is slowed and takes 5 damage.
    As this is an illusion spell, anything hit grants CA to the first ally to attack before my next turn, and CA to me until the end of my next turn.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-12-28 at 01:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Eitri smacks the furious spider well and good with his hammer. And if it was furious before...

Ráslím follows up with a patch of grasping shadows, groping and tearing at the mummy and spider. The mummy is torn apart and collapses in a heap, still grasping that little notebook in its one hand.

Round 7

Cáï fires another shot at the spider, but misses. She does manage to get free of the vile nets binding her, however.

The spider now looks quite desperate. Furiously it throws its webs at Eitri, entangling him and making him vulnerable to its attacks. Then, in a flurry of desperation it stabs at the dwarf not once, but twice before turning to flee.

Spoiler
    Show
    22 damage to spider from Eitri.

14 damage to mummy and spider from Ráslím. Spider is slowed until end of Ráslím's next turn, and grants CA to the first attack against it and CA to Ráslím until end of his next turn.

Cáï saves. Only one save is needed to end both effects, so the second roll wasn't necessary.

Eitri is restrained and gains vulnerable 5 necrotic (save ends both).

6 and 11 damage to Eitri from spider, plus 10 ongoing necrotic and poison, for a total of 42 damage this round. And Eitri is dazed (save ends both dazed and ongoing damage).

4 damage to spider because it moved. 9 damage to spider because its attack didn't include Ericr.

Since Eitri is dazed he gets no opportunity attack against the spider as it moves.

The yellow area on the map is Ráslím's zone of Grasping Shadows.

Since the mummy is now gone, everyone gets to act now, in this order: Ericr, Ngeri, Grimnir, Eitri, Ráslím, Cáï

C: Cáï - Init 31, 37 hp, 8 tmp hp
    S: Spider - Badly wounded, cursed by Grimnir, marked by Eitri, Cáï's Quarry, Challenged by Ericr, CA to grimnir's next attack, slowed until end of Ráslím's turn, CA on next attack, CA to Ráslím until end of his turn
    Er: Ericr - Init 25, 57 hp, +1 defences*, +2 damage, +4 regen while bloodied, can't use second wind
    2: Mummy - Dead
    Ei: Eitri - Init 19, 13 hp, +1 defences*, restrained + vulnerable 5 necrotic (save ends both), dazed + ongoing 10 necrotic and poison (save ends both)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri raises his hand to block the incoming damage. It isn't quite perfect... but it'll do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eitri uses his Aegis to block 20 points of incoming damage from the spider, and only takes 22 damage.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

Though the spider escaped the shadow's reach, Ráslím tries to frighten it back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack spider with Phantom bolt, vs will
    Attack: (1d20+15)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+8)[16]
    If I hit, slide the target back into the zone of grasping shadows.
    As this is an illusion spell, anything hit grants CA to the first ally to attack before my next turn, and CA to me until the end of my next turn.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir

Grimnir fires another blast of eerie green flame at the spider.

Spoiler
    Show

Eldritch Blast.

Attack: (1d20+12)[31] vs AC

Damage: (1d10)[9] +(1d6)[6] Warlock's Curse +4 Rods +1 Empowering Shadows.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Ericr grunted as he saw the spider trying to retreat, though the sound may well have been a growl coming from the helmed lycanthrope's shifted form.

"Not likely."

He crouched and shoved off through the webbing on the floor, the stuff tearing free of his legs as he sprinted at an angle, following the beast's movements parallel before darting back in. With another snarling grunt he stepped in and swung his sword. The strike was fast, precise, and hit true, but the angle was poor for making a solid hit, though the tip of the blade did trace a searing path through the monster's carapace.
    Last edited by nepphi; 2010-01-01 at 06:30 PM.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

21. - Top - End - #111

Cai looses another arrow at the spider. She realizes that she's almost used half of her quiver. Nothing she can worry about now however.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: 26 vs AC
    Damage: 18
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Ericr sprints free of the webs and in a small circle around the spider before darting back in to deliver a blow to the beast. The hit may not have been fatal, but the creature is already badly wounded.

Ngeri decides to stay put and watch the situation for now.

Meanwhile Grimnir throws a bolt of green flames at the fleeing monster. The flames engulf the beast, and with a hiss and desperate scuttle for the exit the thing collapses in a smoking heap of twitching legs.

Eerie silence falls upon the cave, as the beast finally stops moving.

Spoiler
    Show
    12 damage to spider from Ericr. 20 damage from Grimnir, killing the spider.

Ngeri and Grimnir can pull free of the webs that bind them, eventually, no need to bother with a check now.

Eitri can't use his aegis to shield himself from damage, as it requires that the spider's attack did not include him which it did. However, since it is the end of the encounter I'm going to let you shrug off the ongoing damage (and other effects) without saves, possibly sparing you some damage there.

You earn 400 XP each, and here is the status at the end of the encounter (temp hp and other such effects are gone):

C: Cáï - 37 hp
    Er: Ericr - 57 hp
    N: Ngeri - 18 hp
    G: Grimnir - 52 hp
    Ei: Eitri - 13 hp
    R: Ráslím - 32 hp

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's get out of here. Quickly, please, so I can burn these accursed webs and we can go."

24. - Top - End - #114

Let's see, I think one of the corpses had a quiver on them. This would be a poor time to run out of arrows. Cai does a quick search to see if she can find any arrows and if any that she fired at the spider are salvageable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Cáï makes a quick search of the corpses and the surrounding webs. A few arrows can be salvaged from the webs, and on the corpse of the young man she finds a quiver with a few more, including three black arrows with white runes etched on them. The man also wears a short silken cape, and the small notebook which he seems to be clinging to. Getting it out of his grip proves a bit of a challenge, but eventually Cáï manages to wrest it free.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cáï salvages 8 regular arrows, and 3 black arrows with runes on them, as well as the cloak and notebook of the young man.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

"As enjoyable as that was, I think it's time to go. Looks like that tunnel's our only way out." Ráslím slowly pulls himself out of the webbing entirely, catching his breath when he's free. While thoughts of the tattooed man still linger in his mind, what common sense he possesses has taken hold of him for now, and they tell him sticking with the group and finding out what happened is most important. With a few words he casts a minor spell to shed some light down the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending 2 healing surges, bringing me to full.
    Casting light 5 squares down the tunnel's length while standing at the entrance of it.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The entrance to the tunnel is some 15 feet above the ground. The walls seem like they could prove difficult to climb and may not be entirely stable - being composed mostly of packed sand and bits of stone. There is little to see from the light, aside from the fact that the tunnel winds its way upwards and should be easy enough to crawl through if one could only reach it.

28. - Top - End - #118

Cai glances at the rune arrow for a second then adds it to her quiver. Something to look at later.

Heading towards the tunnel, Cai says, "Might as well get started." Cai scans the wall looking for the best way up then starts to climb.

Athletics: (1d20+11)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri walks after Cai after managing to get himself free of the webs. He calls after her. "Cai! When you get the chance, I'd love to take a look at that notebook. It might have some useful information for us."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

With a little luck and some aid from the others, Cáï manages to scale the wall, although she almost lost her grip a few times.