New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Song of Death [IC]

Once she reaches the top Cai looks around for something to anchor a rope to so that the others can get up easier. Especially the dwarves. While she's looking, Cai replies, "Be my guest but may I suggest you wait till we're out of the spider tunnel?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Byrnbot08 View Post
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

There isn't much to find. A few rocks look like they could support a rope, and tying one should be no problem, although Cáï may have to hold on to the rope just to be safe. If one were careful it just might work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Should be no trouble from here on. Just assume Cáï ties the rope and everyone can climb up, it's not like you're under any pressure to do it quickly.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

The big paladin's sword vanished with a gesture, and his armour once again became clothing. This time it was serviceable traveller's garb that barely made a sound as he hauled himself steadily up the rope. Once up top, his sword was back in his hand at a gesture, though he kept the plate off, judging it too noisy if they were going to be discreet in their exit. He took a few steps from the ledge, watching ahead and preparing to act as a speed bump to anything coming to attack while they climbed up.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri winces a little as he moves. His wounds were, well, dire, to say the least. He needed to rest when he could. Still, he found strength enough to haul himself up the rope with little more than a grunt or two of effort, though his arms felt ready to give by the time he'd made his way to the top.

"If yeh like, Cai, I might be able t'judge what yer new arrows do if y'gimme a minute. An' I suggest tha' we at least take a bit of a rest when we can, mm? Jus' a few minutes... ah'm a bit weary, an' these old bones ain't as thick as they use't'be... it'll give us a few minutes t'figure out where we are, what we're doin' next, give us inventory 'f what we've got b'tween us all, do yeh kennit, an' after a scrap like that, a bit'a palaver's prolly jus' what we be needin'." The old dwarf coughed up a bit, a wheezing hack, making him wince and clutch at his chest before he spat up a little bit of blood. "An' per'aps a little bit ah care from th' cleric, if y'please... if'n y'like, I can take a bit of a peek at tha' notebook as well, if'n none of yeh can read it."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

Ngeri nodded as he held his holy symbol tight and said a quick prayer to the Nightingale for Eitri. After he was done, he stood and looked over at Cai. "I believe I asked for the notebook as well. I hope there's something useful in it. At least tell us where we are or whats going on."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am versed in a number of languages. If none of you are able to translate, perhaps I can be of service. It seems unlikely it would be printed in a tongue that obscure, however."
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone finds their way up the rope, you can all see that the tunnel seems to go on for a bit but steadily upwards. There is no immediate sign of where it leads, aside from up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming what Ngeri used was a Healing Word, Eitri can use a surge and gain another 37 hp (max of 5d6+7). Should bring his hp to 73 by my count.

8. - Top - End - #128

Cia laughs and says, "It seems everyone except me cares to read it! Once again, I recommend we wait until we are out of danger. However, she takes the book out and holds it out to them, "whoever wishes to can take it. Personally, I'm a tad more concerned about the dwarf that's coughing blood. I assume that's not normal?"
    Spoiler
    Show

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND BYRNBOT08 HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY THE FOLLOWING PLAYER: EMLYN
    In fact, Team Fortress 2 is just full of rage. Let's just skip it all and say that this game is for angry, masochistic people. Except for Emlyn. He's just angry.

Pony avatar by self

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"Of course it's not normal, fool. We're dwarves, not vampires. I assumed somebody capable of healing him would do so, and in the meantime I could assist in translating the journal, if necessary. Unless, of course, you think it would be more productive if we all went and fawned over him and smothered him with maudlin concern, instead of attending to our work and letting the healer attend to his?"
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-01-06 at 03:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the Priest's work was done, Eitri grinned. "Nah, no blood spitters, we. Though y'd be surprised wha' people dunno about us Dwarven folk, when yeh get right down to it. Though what's my distant kin sayin' about 'maudlin' concern', ah?" Eitri cocked an eye at the other dwarf with a scowl. "When yeh're stranded out in tha' middle ah nowhere, beset by all a manner've unsavory stuff t'deal with, everything is about numbers and resources. How much food we have, what each of us can do, how many times can we collectively fight off a threat before we can't withstand another hammer blow. An' righ' now, the most important resource is people. Because compared to how many our fair city had before, it's dwindled a little, now, hasn't it?"

Eitri set about re-tightening his armor, dealing with the head of his hammer, and flipping through his spellbook. "All've us are a resource to eachother. If I wasn't around, do yeh kennit, who knows if we'd've held off the spider, the Paladin and I. If one've us is near death, Mr. Dwarf, then everyone should be worried. That includes myself, it includes Ms. Cai over there, and it includes you. I'm watchin' yer hide nearly as much as you are, whether or not y'notice or care, and I respect yer power, though I may not like it. I advise you to respect yer fellow mates in kind." He turned to Cai, with a much nicer smile than he'd shown the Warlock. "Now then, missie, would it be too much trouble if I could take a gander at that notebook? Pass it here, if y'could? We Dwarves are astute scholars, and though I doubt yer own brains are any worse off, maybe we'd be able to figure out a bit'ah what's goin' on, mm?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, forgive me if I'm just a bit cross about being torn from my very important work to kill vermin and suffer the foolishness of the young and the ignorant. Now, child, the notebook, as he says."

12. - Top - End - #132

"I may not be as old as you dwarf, but I am no child," Cai replies coldly. She hands the notebook to Eitri. "Keep that in mind." Turning to the others, Cai says, "If everyone is rested I think it would be best to move on. I doubt that spider was the only thing barring our exit."
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri winced. He didn't mind scholarly pursuits, but he was really, really starting to get annoyed at the high-and-mighty personality of this Dwarf. "Well. I guess it falls to me, then, to put forwards a good thing abou' our race, eh Grimnir?" With that, he casually but carefully took the notebook from her hands, blew a little dust (or whatever it was) off of the cover, and gingerly, carefully turned the cover with a practiced hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eitri definitely glances through the pages to see what language they're in, and at least determine a little bit about the contents. If he needs Grimnir's help, he will (reluctantly) ask for it.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir will read over Eitri's shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimnir speaks Dahnmäl, Runic Form, Narumach, Arounmäl, Mólochan, and Ayñ:cäl, so he can probably read it. If Eitri needs help, Grimnir will help him. With no smirk or arrogance, even.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

The notebook looks quite ordinary, aside from being a quality book. It contains the journal and random notes of a bard and spy named Taín Imañes - the young man in the golden tunic, no doubt. From a quick glance through the journal it doesn't seem to contain anything unusual, though the last few pages have been torn out and seem to be missing.

As Eitri is about to close it again he notices that the thick cover has been torn - no doubt due to the fighting - and a small slip of parchment sticks out. Looking closer he finds that the cover contains a small hidden space in which lie two small notes.

The first of the notes is written on a simple slip of rough paper in a quick hand. At first it appears to Eitri as if it is simply filled with random strokes of ink, a meaningless patchwork of black on white. Slowly he realises that there is a system behind it, and recognises a similarity to texts he has seen before in the writings of the Mälacin. But this is not their writing and all he can get out of it is that whatever message is written on this slip seem to end with the initials, CM.

Grimnir, glancing over Eitri's shoulder at the slip doesn't get much more out of it either, though he thinks a name, Nemet and the city of Väsav is mentioned, but in what context is impossible to say.

Turning the slip, Eitri finds that a few words have been scribbled on it in the same hand as the journal itself, reading "Not Mólocan or Narumach. None of the usual codes. No ordinary assassins. Master Creíl may be able to help."

Master Creíl, if Eitri remembers correctly, is one of the high mages of the Väsav academy. He has never met the man, however.

The other note is a letter adressed to Lady Iályn Injera, high priestess of Väsav. It is written in a delicate and yet hasty hand, on fine paper folded as if to be carried with a bird. It reads:

“Your Grace
    I shall pray that the goddess watch over and bring one of mine birds safely to thy hand, for these are dark times and ill news of which I write, and I should surely despair in the knowledge that you did not receive word.

It is with great pain that I must inform you that thy beloved cousin, revered sister Iméri has passed away most tragically, and her immortal spirit now so ardently needs your presence and comfort.

I truly regret that our correspondence must be so brief and that I can not write at more length of these dire news, but my time grows short now. I pray you receive this message in time.

My sincerest condolences on this most terrible loss of yours.

Your most humble bringer of ill news
    – Ilés Car:íem”

Eitri recognises the name, Ilés Car:íem, vaguely as an wandering minstrel, no doubt one of the many obscure and lesser known ones.

Again, the owner of the journal has scribbled a note on the back, reading "Ill news, but nothing unusual. Something here I'm missing, something they don't want anyone to find. Hidden code? Why else assassins for a mere bird? More will surely come for me. Must bring to Iályn post haste."

Sadly it seems the poor guy never got to Iályn with the message.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2010-01-07 at 06:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

The as-yet unnamed Paladin simply kept watch while they inspected the book. He'd have a look at it later of course, anything else would be foolishness. However for now there was still the threat of discovery, and he intended to keep from being surprised. He prayed silently to the Nightengale and meditated on the teachings of his order as his eyes scanned the hallway.

~Death is a moment, and nothing more. The rest of your life is what matters. Live well and free in the light, and your death will be the most natural thing in the world.~

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

"It looks like...some form of bastardized Molochan? It mentions Vasav, and another name--Nemet. I think it's a person, but I can't be certain. Does the name mean anything to you?"
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-01-07 at 06:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Ngeri

As Ngeri sits down to rest while the others study the notebook and the notes, he mutters a quick prayer to the Nightingale for his own wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Healing Word on self. Gain healing surge +17 hp back.
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

Ráslím climbs up the rope without too much trouble and waits impatiently for the others to finish examining the journal and the notes. He looks over them himself, though he merely turns away in frustration when he cannot read them either.

"Why don't you make yourself useful and scout ahead?" He asks his small and unfortunately long term follower, though it seems to be just as nervous as the rest of them, taking cover behind Ráslím.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

"Nemet is a Lycanthrope." The nameless knight said it calmly, his gaze never leaving its watchful post as the others read and as he spoke.

"I was in Väsav, as I wager you all were, when everything went mad. I was overwhelmed by numbers of the damned, and a werewolf sought to kill me." ~Or worse~ he thought to himself. "It was stopped by a lycanthrope, tattooed about the waist and chest. The werewolf, Vandal, called him 'lord' Nemet, and Nemet said they had more pressing matters before leaving me to the crowds and what I thought would be my death. Then I woke here."
    Last edited by nepphi; 2010-01-09 at 12:32 PM.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri frowned, brows furrowed in concentration. His ill feelings towards Grimnir were dissipated, at least for the moment; he had only the focus and determination of a scholar at his work. However, he couldn't help a shudder at the memory of Vasav... and some surprise at the Paladin's remembrance. The old Dwarf spoke with a tad more excitement and determination than before.

"Tha's important, right there. The journal's connected then, and studyin' it could be more'an important enough to our survival... or whatever else we need t'deal with when we get outta this spider hole.

"Tha' said, there's more to this than jus' that name..."
    Already he was absorbed in the book again. This new nugget of information was just a piece of the framework, a new boundary, changing the outlines of the supposed puzzle to allow more to fit in. "Th' lad's a spy. That much is fer sure, otherwise heed'a spread info a' this threat long and wide. Creil is one'f th' bigwigs up at Vasav Academy, though I don't know th'man personally, an' he knows th' priestess by name as well, so this lad's connected high up too, which just fits the theory a little bit more. An' there's mention 'f assassins, an' twice... I think we can assume tha' they're the same ones. Lad said 'more' will come for'im, so we can say that they attacked him, he either fended'em off or escaped. Then there's mention'a this here second minstrel, the one who wrote the letter. Knew where t'send it, so he also had a connection t'the Lady. Per'aps another spy...?"

Eitri looked up. He'd grabbed onto an idea, one that tugged at the edge of his mind, that he couldn't quite bring into the light. Dim awareness again... his brows furrowed twicemore in frustration, before he ripped it into the light and the idea finally dawned. "They attacked'im. They attacked'im not because he was a spy, but because he had their book, their information? 'e copied it down, surely enough. Handwritin's the same. An' he's done it before, which is why he could see whether or not th'code was familiar, so we can trust 'is hand. So this is ridiculously important information. But if those things, those assassins, caught up to him, wouldn't they'a taken the book too? At least to keep it outta their 'ands? An' this lad would've made it to th' Priestess, or whatnot, with the book as well; they tried t'kill him for it, he's not gonna keep it. Whatever brought him 'ere weren't the assassins then. We can assume th'same fer us, depending on how long they were 'ere, an' he coulda resisted th' wave same as we did perhaps. But how did they find hi-"

Eitri's eyes darted upwards, hard and afraid. "Tracked'im. They musta tracked'im. An' they might know where he is. An' if they know that, they might come t'get it. Rock and rune! Eitri pulled Grimnir close, keeping his voice low, quick, direct, almost hushed. "Grimnir, check the book Check it, see if th'writing's got a mark on it, now. We might be tracked by somethin' nastier than th' spiders. Could pa-... bloody hell, whatever is your name? Paladin! Keep yer eyes out, and tell us who you are. Cai, you too. I can't tell, but they might know where we are."

Spoiler
    Show
    Two Arcane Knowledge checks:
    To detect any sort of spell, ritual, enchantment, etc. on the journal, it's contents, the notes, and the letter: 24
    To determine how long it takes for those Corpse Spider things to lay eggs, mummify a corpse, how long it'll keep a dude wrapped up before making it undead, how long it takes to set up a lair, so on and so forth: 30

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

"Me? Oh, Ericr." He said it idly, as if the name were something he had to live with instead of -his-.

"This does shed a little light on the murder of the priestess, at least." He'd need to bring that book to his superiors at some point.

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Eitri senses no magic about the journal or the note from the minstrel. Something about the note in the strange language catches his eyes however. There are traces of alchemical substances on it, perhaps used to reveal an otherwise hidden message... or restore one previously erased. Neither the paper nor the ink used is ordinary either. Eitri is not sure, but it looks like a kind of one-way communication, where a note written somewhere else appears on this slip of paper and erases itself after a while or through a particular process know to the receipient. Whatever was done to restore the message no doubt screwed up the original magic, so it is unlikely that new messages will appear.

Judging by his knowledge of the spiders, Eitri can tell that the young man must have been here for at least a week or so, but probably not much more. The lair could have been here for a long time, quite a while if the older corpse is an indication. The spider can't have been very active until recently, however, or there would no doubt be more corpses down here.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Ráslím

Ráslím's head jerks towards the paladin as he mentions the lycanthropes. "I saw him as well, the man with the tattooed body and the black eyes, so dark..." Ráslím shudders, thinking of the far off jungles once more. Now Ráslím knows the name of the one he searches for.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

25. - Top - End - #145

Cai raises an eyebrow at Eitri's comments. Apparently this was quiet important for them. Personally, she was far more concerned with getting out alive. Cai continues to watch down the tunnel and hopes that her new companions will cease their scholarly pursuits until a more suitable time. "It seems clear that someone brought him here and that someone could return at any time. I for one would rather not be here when that happens."
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony avatar by self

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eitri's speculations went on, even as Eitri ran his hand over the paper, the words, trying to detect anything.

A week, about, I'd say. The Bard, it's been here about a week. Assuming we weren't drugged for that period of time and then put into th' Spider Hole, we can assume tha' whatever got him into th' webby mess we 'freed' 'im from wasn't th' same exact event tha' put us in our place. Given tha' whatever got him an' whatever got the city - an' us - are th' same thing, or at least connected, and seein' as we both ended up in th' same place, an' given how I can't remember seein' any Corpse Spiders walkin' about topside in Vasav... tha' means that we were put here. Or put somwhere th' Spiders coulda gotten t'us, whether or not th' dumpers realize tha' the spiders are where they are. If'n they were smarter, anyhow, they wouldn't have let us go right then and there. They'd have killed us, slit our throats, made sure. An' if these things were pets, we'd a' been caught by now fer killin'em.

Th' bloke. He was in Vasav, then, or close. Else they'd a put his body somewhere farther away. An' th' reason they didn't take th' note, assumin' it was treated, was b'cause it was the Bard's, an' they couldn't read it none. He knew they were comin', doused it? But if th' assassins are so smart, why was he put here... unless there's a reason? In any case, he was on his way to Vasav, likely based around it, an' carrier birds only fly so far...

"...So."

Eitri looked up from the book, passing it off to Grimnir. His mind was still buzzing, but only on the details. There wasn't much more he could discover from what was going on. "There's a few things I can figure for certain, or damn near close enough. First, we're still near Vasav. Whether or not that's a good thing anymore, tha's your call, but it does bring up some stuff we need t'figure out, namely what happens if the exit t'this place is more dangerous than what's in it. Secondly, we were put here, on purpose, which means tha' they at least know our general location, or think they do. I don't know if they know about the spiders, but if they do, and learn they're dead, an' that we have this 'ere book, they'll try t'find us, and they could know these caverns better than we do. They might be watchin' th' exit, anyhow, an' they could come back with more people for th' pit. The good thing abou' that theory is tha' if we were t'be dumped, or our corpses used for somethin', then this place could be relatively unguarded... compared to the stuff we'd need to deal with if we all woke up in a room in Vasav. They don't know we're here. So we've got us a fightin' chance've gettin' out, in th' short term. Tha' said, you're right about movin', Cai. We've got ourselves a window, though sheer luck alone. We can't let it get t' waste."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimnir accepts the book from Eitri and examines it for any unusual marks or runes, any parts where the handwriting or language shift suddenly, anything he can find.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+14)[34]
    Insight: (1d20+11)[12]
    Perception: (1d20+6)[21]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Grimnir confirms what Eitri found about the note being a one-way communication thing and the fact that someone alchemically treated the paper to restore a previously erased message... the one now written on the slip of paper in an unidentified language. Beyond that he finds nothing out of the ordinary.

Not much left to do for now, it seems, but to move on.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

The group begins the slow crawl through the spider tunnels. Despite having been dug out by the huge spider, the tunnels are not particularly roomy. Several times the tunnel splits off into side tunnels, but all of them turn out to be dead ends. After much crawling and fighting against bits of web scattered all over the tunnels, the tunnel comes to a sudden stop. A slight waft of eerily cold air comes from above, sending chills down your spine. Somewhere in the distance you can hear the bloodcurdling sounds of screams and howling of the dead or soon-to-be dead. Either you have not left Väsav, or you're in a place no better off.

Looking up, you see a narrow hole covered in bushes and roots.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Ericr let whoever felt most confident scouting, likely the ranger, lead the way as he took second position. His tall form seemed rather restricted in the tight confines, as did his weapon of choice, but he voiced no complaint and simply kept on. He stopped beneath the hole and looked upward contemplatively.

"I'd volunteer to look, but I'm rather noticable. Someone more discrete want to volunteer?"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Kurik